Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Trump is saying he is going to send in the National Guard into Portland now. Jesus Christ this idiot needs to go yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
Can you assure anyone of anything?

EDIT: We have a general, all he does is deliver things

48 Hour Boner fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 30, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is talking about sending in the guard to Portland to deal with the "beehive of terrorists".
Also "professional protestors".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
this speech is the worst for him in a long time and he is doubling down on all the worst things.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
"How can you assure that people will be safe with schools reopening?"
"How can you assure anybody of anything?"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Djarum posted:

Trump is saying he is going to send in the National Guard into Portland now. Jesus Christ this idiot needs to go yesterday.

If the president activates the national guard then they fall under the federal laws preventing the military from acting as police. It's only when they are activated by state governors if they're able to act like police.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

If the president activates the national guard then they fall under the federal laws preventing the military from acting as police. It's only when they are activated by state governors if they're able to act like police.

too bad nobody has standing to sue over it womp womp

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Can we bring CanPol in here next? If anything Joe Biden should take some lessons from Justin Trudeau, a gaff-prone bumbling dope who rode a "Hey, voters! Remember when times were good (for well-off white people) because of [guy I'm related to]?" legacy connection to power on a wave of backlash against a historically unpopular plastic fascist rear end in a top hat who tried to reshape the nation in his lovely conman image.

All that's old is new again.

Actually I know nothing about CanPol and wouldn't mind learning a thing or 5 about it.

Does Canada have their own version of Trump; Sanders?

Trudeau seems as centrist as centrist can get but I with-hold any firm opinion of him because I haven't paid any attention.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
In bad news:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1288956152466767872

god gently caress you Mitch. Amy McGrath isn't Charles Booker but I hope she can somehow beat him because of his utter callousness with these benefits.

It really proves how completely out of touch the GOP is that these were allowed to expire. This is all that's keeping people from eating out of a dumpster right now and we just today had the worst GDP contraction in a single quarter in US history.

Things are gonna get ugly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

VitalSigns posted:

too bad nobody has standing to sue over it womp womp

The state that the guard were activated from probably could. Since they would have a demonstrable harm in their guard being activated illegally.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Actually I know nothing about CanPol and wouldn't mind learning a thing or 5 about it.

Trudeau seems as centrist as centrist can get but I with-hold any firm opinion of him because I haven't paid any attention.

Trudeau is a centrist in the same manner as RBG, in that they hate first nations/ native american tribes.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Kinda surprising Joe Biden managed to do significantly less blackface than Trudeau

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Oh my god they were being facetious

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Nein nein nein!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

The state that the guard were activated from probably could. Since they would have a demonstrable harm in their guard being activated illegally.

yeah it'd definitely be usurping their reserved police power, so there's a pretty obvious federalism argument

if you really want to do it as president you almost certainly have to use the Insurrection Act

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

axeil posted:

In bad news:

god gently caress you Mitch. Amy McGrath isn't Charles Booker but I hope she can somehow beat him because of his utter callousness with these benefits.

It really proves how completely out of touch the GOP is that these were allowed to expire. This is all that's keeping people from eating out of a dumpster right now and we just today had the worst GDP contraction in a single quarter in US history.

Hooray looking forward to riots.

What's the old line about people being three square meals away from revolution?

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Rob_Ford_video_scandal

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, this was a bad loving speech for him and its clear the stupid fucker was hoping he would outshine obama with his sad insane poo poo.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I like how people ITT have been telling us that the Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans and nothing is going to change etc

meanwhile

Trump is literally asking to send the National Guard into the streets to round up Americans and is suggesting that the election be delayed. Like, that's where we're at now.

Nitrousoxide posted:

At what point can we invoke the Third Amendment?

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

axeil posted:

In bad news:

Oh for fucks sake, Booker had the lead on that one.
Yeah, I feel like the self proclaimed pro-trump democrat is going to have some issues, even if she walked that back.

axeil posted:

Luckily, the last month of protests has used up alot of the teargas already, so the newly angry people will have that going for them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

At what point can we invoke the Third Amendment?

is the government quartering anyone in your home? if yes, then

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rockit posted:

Here's hoping they got plenty of chains.

The NOPD sure does.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
how is it a feature and not a bug that a branch of gov can just take a 3 day weekend break?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Justin Trudeau is mildly left of center for Canada, but in comparison to even US Democrats he looks like a turbo leftist because he at least gives a poo poo or performatively gives a poo poo about actual progressive issues, though not to the extent that the actual left in Canada would like him to.

The closest analog we have to a Donald Trump in Canada is Doug Ford, the current premier (read: governor) of Ontario. He's a fat loud rear end in a top hat right winger who rode into power on a very Trump-style campaign and took a chainsaw to Ontario's various social services and safety nets, then made a massive rear end-saving about face when COVID-19 came barrelling in and helped save his province from becoming a plagueland like New York and Florida have become. It's still the second worst outbreak in Canada, and he's still a gigantic rear end in a top hat, but he's been softly apotheoized in Canada for being not as bad as everyone feared he would be.

He's also the brother of Rob Ford, the hilarious and dearly departed Crack Mayor of Toronto.

We don't have a Bernie Sanders figure because all of our real leftist figures are goofball jokes like former Green Party leader Elizabeth May, or Not Pure Enough like NDP leader Jagmeet Singh (who briefly had a shot at becoming Prime Minister, like all NDP leaders do for a couple weeks every election, before Quebec realized that he was 1) a progressive, and 2) a Sikh, and that just wouldn't fly in Canada's resident mad bomber wildcard racist paradise province).

The Conservative party (our Republican party analog) is currently in the wilderness waiting to choose a new leader because the dipshit the chose to lead them in 2019 ate hilarious poo poo against Trudeau and resigned. The prospects of those looking to replace him aren't that great at the moment, because the previous Conservative Prime Minister, Stephen Harper completely purged the Conservative bench of any potential rivals and successors because he literally thought he was going to be Prime Minister for 40 years.

So that's a brief and hilariously incomplete Look At CanPol in Two Thousand and Twenty Anno Domini.

e: Oh and the Bloc Quebecois is back, because 2020 is a stale joke. They probably won't be sticking around for too long though, so don't get used to them.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 30, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

PhazonLink posted:

how is it a feature and not a bug that a branch of gov can just take a 3 day weekend break?

The Senate Majority Leader has an obscene amount of power (Most of which has only developed over the last half-century or so) and desperately needs to be reigned in.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

axeil posted:

In bad news:

lots of outflanking dems from the left going on here

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Canada's closest Trump analogue is Maxim Bernier, founder of the People's Party of Canada.

The party was founded after Bernier lost a mildly contested right wing leadership battle with eventual winner, Andrew Scheer.

While both parties veered hard right, the PPC ran primarily on stopping immigration, right wing fearmongering, and Bernier's ego.

With Scheer's likely failure against Justin Trudeau, Bernier likely cost himself a real chance at becoming Prime Minister by leaving when he did.

His party was afforded full party status, despite running on a platform of "No...more racism!"; but despite being allowed to participate in National debates, only won 3.5% of the vote.

The closest thing to Bernie is Jagmeet Singh, but only in so far as he is the most left leaning leader with a full platform.

He's...a good man who essentially pulled the ripcord on his own election campaign in the last few weeks because the right wing parties REALLY want to follow Trump.

As a result his party underperformed; and the Liberals paid his gesture back by laughing at the idea of a centre left coalition... even though it's a smart idea.

Singh lost a lot of respect him with me, when he crossed the aisle to shake Andrew Scheer's hand for his service to the country... while Scheer was being ousted for embezzling around 700k in party funds, so his children could attend private school.

Other Canadians' mileage may vary.

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 30, 2020

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

DaveWoo posted:

He called for a whole lot more than just that:

https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery/status/1288900571785760777

Genuinely surprised that he went this far.

and just in time, too!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Finicums Wake posted:

and just in time, too!

he had to do the REAL work of jacking off with billionaires and getting a netflix deal and rigging the primary before he could squeeze in 'advocate for policies to the left of my own administration'

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1288962596083609600

Profiles in courage :911:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Video of it

https://twitter.com/DNCWarRoom/status/1288965729157615616?s=20

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Didn’t Trump say kids were dying more being out of schools then they would be in them?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Monaghan posted:

Hooray looking forward to riots.

What's the old line about people being three square meals away from revolution?

Bring out the guillotines already. It's about time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Didn’t Trump say kids were dying more being out of schools then they would be in them?

yeah. he is pushing the whole "kids are killing themselves at record rates" type poo poo.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1288961440162951174

None of this is helping him, It’s just making people madder and more desperate for this to end

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 30, 2020

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Can anyone, like, really assure you of anything, man? :2bong:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

It wouldn't even matter if kids were "immune" to the disease. The kids will bring it home and infect others who aren't. It's monumentally stupid.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanaGoldstein/status/1288131861810745344?s=20
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1288588388803780608?s=20

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

eke out posted:

is the government quartering anyone in your home? if yes, then

We jest about it now but with how 2020 has gone I’m sure you will be eating those words by mid august.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Numlock posted:

We jest about it now but with how 2020 has gone I’m sure you will be eating those words by mid august.

haha - i looked this up out of curiosity for this thread and there's literally no national precedents about the Third Amendment. it's extremely clear and it only applies in the literal situation it describes, which basically never happens

except for the only major case, from 1979, when NY prison guards went on strike and the governor called in National Guard to run the prisons. the corrections officers had basically subsidized housing by the prison, and the state put national guard in their rooms without the strikers' consent. prison guards end up winning under the Third Amendment, but it's only precedential in the Second Circuit and also qualified immunity means they won nothing

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 30, 2020