Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
10 Man Tag 4 6.25%
Tag Titles 38 59.38%
TNT Title 7 10.94%
Tornado Match 15 23.44%
Total: 64 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rarity posted:

It's way less dangerous than the unprotected chairshots which AEW has done a bunch of times now

I'm open to being educated but the real hell of it struck me as the skateboard flat to the back. The tacks seem ridiculously painful and stupid but the board to the spine seems like it not only hurts a ton but could actually do damage. But maybe I'm being worked.

Either way I don't think "X is worse" is really a counter to "I didn't like Y".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Starks's leg twitch after was a masterstroke. :allears::gonk:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

It's way less dangerous than the unprotected chairshots which AEW has done a bunch of times now

arguably less dangerous than pretty much any flip or move that can lead to you on your head.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah i wasnt saying it was the worst thing or anything its just so different than the normal headdrops and trash can shots and so forth that I'm not numb to spikeboards yet, is all.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The board to the back was fine in and of itself, that’s probably the worst way to take tacks though, bumping on them hurts but you usually bounce off then immediately having them stomped into you ensures way more puncture wounds as we saw. infection would be my biggest concern. i’ve taken a tack bump a few times as a 14 year old idiot jackass and ecw fan

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Benne posted:

The spot was good as hell and the first cool thing Darby has done in months

Also Ricky Starks is a grown-rear end veteran who definitely agreed to the spot, y'all are acting like Darby's shooting on a young boy or something

Ricky also burned his leg doing a flaming table spot against a mop and a broom so he was probably into doing something a little out of the ordinary with the skateboard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Darby's suicide coffin dives scare me way more. But its the same basic problem. Wrestling walks a thin line of two guys pretending to want to hurt each other while we know they're just pretending. That kind of breaks down if I don't actually trust that the guy wrestling has a healthy regard for the safety of himself or others.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 30, 2020

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Mox and Darby are going to destroy each other and i'm going to hoot and holler

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm assuming Ricky retaliates and we get Ricky vs. Darby at All Out. Maybe in a cage (or with a Cage). In any case, I'm really glad that he's being put in such a huge angle right away because he definitely deserves it.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

some extreme "shoot F5" energy itt

darby did that exact spot at All Out last year. janella was fine. it probably hurt more than taking a bump into a pile of tacks but he wasn't pouring salt on the dude afterward

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

smarxist posted:

Mox and Darby are going to destroy each other and i'm going to hoot and holler

He took a motherfucking Death Rider from the second rope last time out, and it was one of the nastiest things I've seen :gonk:

It's going to be good, again

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i appreciate that AEW has only had 1 cage match so far, reserving it for real nasty blood feuds to preserve its mystique a bit seems hella cool rather than just having one on every other event

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Having rewatched it a bunch, they honestly do it in a way that looks chill and safe for what they're doing. Darby jumps onto the board and Ricky lifts one shoulder so when Darby and the board land on his back they don't come down flat on his back. Darby lands with the back of the board on Ricky's shoulder and then they all kind of shift so he comes down with the other side onto Ricky's other shoulder as they fall. So they're specifically doing what they can to make sure they're falling safe and that Darby isn't landing right on Stark's spine. It's messy, gross, and dangerous but they obviously thought about how to take it and are not just doing wild west poo poo.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

smarxist posted:

i appreciate that AEW has only had 1 cage match so far, reserving it for real nasty blood feuds to preserve its mystique a bit seems hella cool rather than just having one on every other event

Pretty wild that they've had three unsanctioned lights out matches and only one cage match.

I hope for All Out they bring back the Cracker Barrel Clash, but find Janella some new opponents.

I'd say that they shouldn't do that sort of match without an audience, but given the way they've started distributing people through Daly's place since Fyter Fest, I kinda assume there'll be somewhat of an small audience at All Out, even if it's just Jags employees + friends.

blunt fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 30, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ricky stark's back: more or less gnarly than the friction burns from all the goon hand wringing?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i feel like i fell through a wormhole or something

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

go watch a movie about it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jesus WEP posted:

ricky stark's back: more or less gnarly than the friction burns from all the goon hand wringing?

That's not hand wringing, we know how horny these threads use to be

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

STAC Goat posted:

I'm open to being educated but the real hell of it struck me as the skateboard flat to the back. The tacks seem ridiculously painful and stupid but the board to the spine seems like it not only hurts a ton but could actually do damage. But maybe I'm being worked.

Either way I don't think "X is worse" is really a counter to "I didn't like Y".

you're a mark and are being worked, i'm sorry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Seth Rollins posted:

you're a mark and are being worked, i'm sorry.

Sucks, but its life. Could be worse.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The tacks probably hurt like a motherfucker but they're small enough that even the ones that stick don't seem to actually penetrate particularly deeply. It breaks the skin and looks gnarly but is probably way less likely to cause any injury than every other thing in the ring.

I would like Darby to go away but that's nothing to do with the spot.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

STAC Goat posted:

Sucks, but its life. Could be worse.

its good to be a mark every now and then

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

go watch a movie about it

i will, its called your funeral

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yea ok posted:

i will, its called your funeral
👍👍

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Seth Rollins posted:

its good to be a mark every now and then

Better a happy mark than a bitter insider in my opinion.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The real question is if anyone helped Ricky get some Neosporin on his back. That would be the dangerous part of the spot, not putting any antibiotics on the skin.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

The real question is if anyone helped Ricky get some Neosporin on his back. That would be the dangerous part of the spot, not putting any antibiotics on the skin.

Doc Sampson tweeted cleanup pictures so I'd assume it included some antibiotics.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A back to rival Jinder

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

rantmo posted:

I would like Darby to go away but that's nothing to do with the spot.
See I would like Darby to go away because he seems like an abusive rear end in a top hat so when he does spots like that something says "oh, that's an abusive rear end in a top hat doing that" instead of "what a spot."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

I could have gone with John Cena, or HHH, or any number of other people. The fact remains, Dolph Ziggler is the key. Just like Stephen Amell is the key to the TNT title.

Boys, we're gettin' a Fallen Angel run in 2020.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MJeff posted:

Boys, we're gettin' a Fallen Angel run in 2020.

red yarn board conspiracy booking sweeps the industry

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

See I would like Darby to go away because he seems like an abusive rear end in a top hat so when he does spots like that something says "oh, that's an abusive rear end in a top hat doing that" instead of "what a spot."

weird projection

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gumball Gumption posted:

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1288957418164989953

There’s the doc making sure he’s treated afterward.

(edit: two doctors actually since Doctor Britt Baker is there)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

STAC Goat posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I still have a very vague appreciation for his athleticism but it's purely intellectual instead of having any positive emotional weight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JOHN CENA posted:

weird projection

Huh? What exactly do you think I'm projecting? My concern that there's a bunch of stories of Darby possibly not having a ton of regard for himself or others?

I get like we gotta defend AEW but I thought we had mostly agreed that Darby is an rear end in a top hat?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
(edit): nevermind

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 31, 2020

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

STAC Goat posted:

Tazz was going off that Darby brought a weapon into what was not a no dq/hardcore match and he was 100% correct.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AEW in general seems to play fast and loose with the idea that anyone can possibly get DQed. Inner Circle interferes, guys like Darby and Havoc use weapons. The unstated rule seems to be "if the match can continue we won't stop it."

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1288957418164989953

There’s the doc making sure he’s treated afterward.

(edit: two doctors actually since Doctor Britt Baker is there)

I love Britt being supportive of her fellow vain heel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The way I justify it in my head is that if the competitor wants the match to go on they won't end it on a DQ. So someone like Moxley should never end a match on a DQ.