Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

So it is worth keeping an eye on this in case it leaves Early Access or should I look for non Goons to play this game with?

I've been playing with 82DK and they seem like a good bunch of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SeanBeansShako posted:

So it is worth keeping an eye on this in case it leaves Early Access or should I look for non Goons to play this game with?

No.

Hezzy posted:

I've been playing with 82DK and they seem like a good bunch of people.

The leaders are literal nazis. Same with WN.

E: 82dk is significantly bigger and takes just about anyone so you're less likely to run into a wehraboo in general but make sure to stay well away from WN.
Neither are particularly subtle, though. (82dk logo)

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 26, 2020

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Rynoto posted:

No.

The leaders are literal nazis. Same with WN.

E: 82dk is significantly bigger and takes just about anyone so you're less likely to run into a wehraboo in general but make sure to stay well away from WN.
Neither are particularly subtle, though. (82dk logo)

I knew they had some sort of German soldier vibe going on but didn't figure it was Nazi related? They seem more to be fans of Warhammer than jackboots

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I played with 82dk for a bit back in like war 15-20? or something. Never saw any nazi stuff except I guess the iron cross stuff? But yeah they push the warhammer 40k stuff heavy

Also haven't played since then, guessing the game is still trash

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Hezzy posted:

I knew they had some sort of German soldier vibe going on but didn't figure it was Nazi related? They seem more to be fans of Warhammer than jackboots

Some of their members, along with WN, formed the 'Warden SS' as a 'joke' back when All chat was still a thing where they would happily do 'Heil Callahan' (lore person), 'joke' about gassing certain peoples, and leave blueprint swastikas.

Pretty nazi-like, imo. Though, again, 82dk is massive and a lot of their members likely don't quite realize that no it's not a joke.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I didn't play with clans because I don't want to be ordered around or have my stuff jacked so I never saw outright fash stuff in warden chat or around me in VOIP. I do remember seeing the blasé gas jokes by both factions and if I found the people doing it as I was trucking around, I'd make sure to accidentally paint my truck with them.

What I distinctly remember is that for the act of ambushing people behind enemy lines, I was called the N word, the C bomb and other wonderful slurs by Colonials in local voip more times in 200 hours than in 3000 hours of FPS shooters (last ten years). If a game has PUBG level vitriol in proximity chat, that's a big deal. I stopped playing partly because of it, since like mordhau, I don't expect the playerbase to ever change.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Being a 40K group of nerds isn't inherently Nazis or fash but as ever

Can pretty reliably attest to the insane toxicity of Foxhole VOIP though.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So for anyone not paying attention the latest big game update has been getting devblogs and streamed about over the last month or so - working title is "Arms Race" Here are some of the changes coming:

-Crapton of new vehicle variants - halftrack with AT gun, heavier tanks, APC and bikes with mounted MGs are some examples
-Vehicle physics system implemented along with improved road types
-Each faction gets a unique "super" tank type vehicle that are NOT identical ! :eyepop:
-All the far east/west water/island maps are getting seriously re-done, there will be other land zone changes also
-There will be a new water accessible depot called the "Seaport"
-Water QoL changes include barges can carry a shipping container now and water vehicles can be stored in the Seaport :yayclod:
-New emplacement style guns can be built at Construction Yards and shipped out - can be put in the NEW octagonal trench piece or just plopped down on the ground
-Tech tree as we know it is going away
-Mining scrap & other resources getting changes to improve supply of materials
-buncha other stuff

The last 2 devblogs and streams covered all of this and the devbranch testing starts on Wednesday the 30th! Testing time is expected to be 10+ days as the nominal release date is the 12th of August!

Plenty of reading material:

https://www.foxholegame.com/post/devblog-83
https://www.foxholegame.com/post/devblog-84

(PDFs of slides from the streams)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/543912869683789824/730151773003579492/Devstream_86_Slides.pdf
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/543912869683789824/735219413275639918/Devstream_87_Slides.pdf

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Rynoto posted:

Some of their members, along with WN, formed the 'Warden SS' as a 'joke' back when All chat was still a thing where they would happily do 'Heil Callahan' (lore person), 'joke' about gassing certain peoples, and leave blueprint swastikas.

Pretty nazi-like, imo. Though, again, 82dk is massive and a lot of their members likely don't quite realize that no it's not a joke.

So a handful of people from two of the largest clans in the game made a dumb teenage edgelord joke and therefore the rest of the clan are also Nazis? Is that what you're saying?

Where's the public outcry about this? Why haven't the Devs banned them from the game?

I don't really believe you. The lack of any visible scandal doesn't support your version of events. I checked discord for "SS" and "Heil". SS just mentioned shirts and all the instances of "Heil" came from random people and not clan members.

For everybody else, a massive update is about to drop and it's going to make the game so much better! Like MREBoy has said it adds a whole buttload of content.

If anyone wants to come and play, join Wardens and apply to 82DK. Their discord is here; https://discord.gg/zCUbdnT

There's an operation scheduled for Saturday evening, 1800hrs UK time.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I dunno, I hop in and do a 12 hour shift once every 3 or 4 wars. I'd say 80 hours total. Didn't experience any American style racism. One time I overheard some European racism against slavs, but I'm like man idunno if that was like a real thing or if it was performance art.

Gonna look into the new update.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hezzy posted:

So a handful of people from two of the largest clans in the game made a dumb teenage edgelord joke and therefore the rest of the clan are also Nazis? Is that what you're saying?

Where's the public outcry about this? Why haven't the Devs banned them from the game?

I don't really believe you. The lack of any visible scandal doesn't support your version of events. I checked discord for "SS" and "Heil". SS just mentioned shirts and all the instances of "Heil" came from random people and not clan members.

For everybody else, a massive update is about to drop and it's going to make the game so much better! Like MREBoy has said it adds a whole buttload of content.

If anyone wants to come and play, join Wardens and apply to 82DK. Their discord is here; https://discord.gg/zCUbdnT

Very surprising that a policeman would be okay with this

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress are nukes. I've never really stuck around in a war long enough to see those. Also signs a p cool I like em.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Hezzy posted:

There was a public outcry. Especially once they went full bore hard racism against the chinese players joining the game. You couldn't go an hour without seeing one of those fucks whining about them in the most vile ways possible. This is, incidentally, why they removed all chat.

Yes, not all members of those two clans are involved directly in the overt nazism. Many of them are just normal rear end racists who are a-okay with the nazi parts existing. And some are new players who haven't played enough to see the really ugly parts when they poke out - the aforementioned racism against the chinese was especially good at getting people to reveal themselves.

You're free to continue playing with these groups if you want though I would personally suggest joining literally anyone else.

KirbyKhan posted:

What the gently caress are nukes. I've never really stuck around in a war long enough to see those. Also signs a p cool I like em.

Calling them nukes isn't really accurate as they're a missile structure you build at a predefined location - Great March, Farranac Coast, Reaching Trail this war - that is a one-use long range weapon that makes any structure it hits within an 80m radius removed from the match. If it hits a victory point town it lowers the required captures to win by 1. To actually launch the missile you require 10 people in the region which it's built and a spotter within ~120m (binoc range) to grab coordinate codes for the missile to hit which are then given to the missile operators to enter. Then a 10 minute countdown starts in which the spotter needs to stay in the same location and not die. A warning is issued to all players in game giving the coordinates of where the missile is going to strike when the timer starts but not the location of the spotter. If the spotter survives the 10 minutes the missile is launched and the affected structures turn red to indicate their removal from play. Usually manufacturing towns are targeted. The engines for them are the very last tech in the game so they're meant as game enders.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 31, 2020

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Quick update on the devbranch stuff, it got delayed a day so it's not starting until sometime Friday afternoon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not going to lie those changes look quite interesting, game has made a lot of progress last few years.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you don’t want to deal with the Wehraboo’s you can also join Colonial where we don’t have any. I’m playing EU time with RAID but just yell at me here and we’ll sort something out through steam.

Chill bunch, no yelling orders and only real rule is to not ramble on endlessly on voice chat because it’s annoying.

Games quite fun and there’s plenty of different ways to play it, try not to get sucked into playing it like a second job though, video game wars ain’t worth losing sleep over.

I like to shoot medics with the grenade launcher then wait for more medics to come heal them and shoot them too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fans posted:

I like to shoot medics with the grenade launcher then wait for more medics to come heal them and shoot them too.

New medics who don't realize their kits always appear even when you can't see their player model are always A+ for glaunching. Bodies piling up one after another.

In update news next war is going to be absolute hell for logi with the removal of gunnests and the devs incessant push to make trenches actually used on the frontlines despite them being absolute garbage for that job. So that'll be fun.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 10, 2020

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Rynoto posted:

New medics who don't realize their kits always appear even when you can't see their player model are always A+ for glaunching. Bodies piling up one after another.

Two wars ago I abused the hell out of that with the mortar house in AW and created a pile of bodies by sandbags so dense they merged into one horrible many limbed beast

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
The new update is really cool for both logistics and weapons.

I did notice a problem with some kind of weapon that absolutely shredded people but didn't seem to make any noise or bullet trails? Anyone experience something similar?

Play Colonials because when you shoot Wardens there's a good chance you're shooting a nazi sympathizer, ironic or otherwise.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Only when they bring in cosmetics and I don't have to wear the oversized battle jerkin.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I wanna pay to do the floss dance in this game more than any other.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Game is on sale by the way too.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Hopefully some of the player influx sticks around. I loved this game 2-ish years ago and it looks like a poo poo-load has changed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yeah it’s a big change from 2 years ago. I like the new driving system making people have to deal with inertia and ending up just yeeting themselves into lakes.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

How active is the goon community?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Barely any activity in the Discord since October.

If it doesn't pick up on release this is a 'fine the most tolerable pubbie group' deal sadly.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Well I bought it, find me on the discord.

I was always a huge fan in games like eve of hunting miners deep behind enemy lines. I don’t mind doing logistics stuff or just shootymens either though. Hopefully though raiding is a viable play style.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Well I bought it, find me on the discord.

I was always a huge fan in games like eve of hunting miners deep behind enemy lines. I don’t mind doing logistics stuff or just shootymens either though. Hopefully though raiding is a viable play style.

The term in Foxhole for what you describe is "partisan". One of the things that the devs have always had a hate boner for is the possibility of permanently securing a zone so that the enemy cannot get in at all. So around the edge of each zone is an area where buildings either can't be built or will self destruct faster than normal. These areas have been nicknamed Partisan Highways. It's entirely possible to get into any zone either by foot or vehicle if you can find holes in the radio (aka radar) coverage and terrain. The most annoying thing IMO partisans can do is screw with logistics setups in back areas. By this point in the war most if not all resource producing mines have a gas truck next to them. Truck goes for a swim or something, it + the fuel in it has to be replaced. All the various fields will most likely have a crane or other logi stuff laying around. Whoops, the crane drove to Brazil, isn't coming back, have to replace. The ultimate high value targets are Harvesters - these are sort of the Rorqual level equivalents in Foxhole (expensive high speed resource gathering vehicle), but most people know not to leave them out in the wild. People can and do make serious attempts to secure such areas but its usually either a Super Pro Veteran ring of bunkers that you can't really get through or a noob level mishmash of random stuff attached to a bunker or FOB.

Also, a lot of the stuff in the OP is out of date or not in the game any more, I guess I should clean it up or something :effort:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Played for a few minutes and drowned myself like a moron because I didn’t know soldiers can’t swim lol.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

This game is awesome and basically distilled group logistics and combat simulator of MMO games like eve without all the RPG elements. Just pure produce, transport, fight, raid.

It’s also very big on a no safe zone philosophy so logistics (equivalent of miners) are only safe if their team keeps the back areas clear, responds to raids, and keeps passive defenses maintained.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Probably getting this today. Which side are most goons on and is there a discord? I want to join the side with the least chuds to maximize my communist bullet production.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wardens (the not germans) have been my go to and is traditionally where the thread has met up.

Very little racism on that side in the open voice comms, what little I found was extremely european so like... It didn't hit me as hard because lmao it is incomprehensible to my american brain.

I did hear the n word like twice on Colonials side. Very much American style racism on that end. Compared to irl reenactor communities, there is not an institutional lethargy to enforcement.

Foxhole official discord is active and worth hopping on. It is also where you submit moderation reports. Robust communications for a niche nerd game.

Also hello people in the management game thread. This game allows YOU to be the rimworld pawn in WW1.5

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 4, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

After playing for a bit before I went on vacation my take is that the warden side is generally less sophisticated, populated and coordinated than the colonial side, there are just a lot more colonial clans that have a good economic system and ability to launch large coordinated resource intense operations like amphibious landings that doesn’t really exist on the warden side.

A small goon group though could easily singlehandedly win a war if we can build up a system. I’d really like to get a group that can build essentially a naval weapons station and get a small gunboat fleet, since right now there are not any groups that are capable of utilizing multiple boats and having a logi system to do a quick turnaround.

One 4 man gunboat crew with a full magazine can reverse an entire front in less than 120 seconds anywhere around the far West or East sides of the map, it just takes a shitload of time and effort to get the ammo together to do so.

If two boats were working together or even better had the ability to quickly reload and return you could devastate all the bases and stockpiles on a whole side of the map and let the pubbies overrun the now helpless troops in a few minutes before a colonial response could happen.

Colonials do actually have a somewhat sophisticated QRF system on land but nobody in the game has used naval fire support or landings outside of the occasional endgame or Hail Mary.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 4, 2021

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I found the goons in foxholes discord, and I'll be trying it out gonna try to learn logistics and such. I'll join blue.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also there is a warden group called Callahan’s Legion that is very explicitly unwelcome to alt righty types and somewhat large and active discord server, but I don’t know how active and coordinated they are in game yet.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Also there is a warden group called Callahan’s Legion that is very explicitly unwelcome to alt righty types and somewhat large and active discord server, but I don’t know how active and coordinated they are in game yet.

How many days have I spent in Callahan's Boot. So many. So good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If things get actually moving again I and several others would be down to help out.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Guess imma update the OP sooner rather than later now :downs: .

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MREBoy posted:

Guess imma update the OP sooner rather than later now :downs: .

Release around the corner, would be worth it as many just avoid the dreaded EARLY ACCESS title now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd love to play this again. When is the actual full release