Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Noiiiiice

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do you get lost in a labyrinth? Just keep walking.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

not all labyrinths are unicursal!!!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

no true labyrinth...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Subjunctive posted:

Coz the cow man eats you.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well today I found out professional labyrinth builder is a thing.

Anyway just going to send some people some questions about where I might go about inquiring a miniator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the full comic, for anyone who doesn’t remember it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

This is the full comic, for anyone who doesn’t remember it.

Also for those that don't know, the comic is called Oglaf and is INSANELY not safe for work

unless you work in the anthropomorphic semen elemental factory, I guess

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmbo always good to be reminded that you can definitely count on those abstract index rankings :thumbsup:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well it's ability to respond, not willingness to respond, so technically correct?

But yeah it's Forbes so :shrug:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

excuse me it shows pandemic preparedness in 2019 not in 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Memento posted:

Also for those that don't know, the comic is called Oglaf and is INSANELY not safe for work

unless you work in the anthropomorphic semen elemental factory, I guess

Since this is the charts thread, I would have to guess that in a venn diagram the intersection of "people who can browse webcomics while working" and "people who are not working from home" is going to be tiny these days.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://twitter.com/cfidd/status/1288786454995402752

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I won't understand the growth in labyrinth popularity until I see it visualised in a chart that is also a labyrinth

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

are these ever a good idea?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

I'm not sure why difference of deaths per day is important enough to get it's own axis. Why not just show deaths vs time? You can visually see the change, that's the point of graphing it in the first place.

Edit: and does the line thickness mean anything? I think this type of graph has its uses but it's pretty rare that time isn't an independent variable.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Count Roland posted:

I'm not sure why difference of deaths per day is important enough to get it's own axis. Why not just show deaths vs time? You can visually see the change, that's the point of graphing it in the first place.

Edit: and does the line thickness mean anything? I think this type of graph has its uses but it's pretty rare that time isn't an independent variable.

Rate of change in a pandemic is often tied to number of cases, and the coordinate position on this graph effectively shows the R0.

More useful than change in cases/time at least.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Count Roland posted:

I'm not sure why difference of deaths per day is important enough to get it's own axis.

When analyzing rate data it's often helpful to plot dx/dt vs x because it eliminates time. This way you can compare experiments done over disparate time scales and think about if they're caused by the same underlying mechanism.

Things get literally loopy though if you smooth and average too much.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HardDiskD posted:

excuse me it shows pandemic preparedness in 2019 not in 2020

The US did have a dedicated pandemic response team and extensive planning for it. Donnie disbanded all that, albeit in 2017 sooooo

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The US did have a dedicated pandemic response team and extensive planning for it. Donnie disbanded all that, albeit in 2017 sooooo

its joke

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/25eec92f-07f0-4dbf-b4d6-0165042d8ed1

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

This reads like that old joke image that had you say the color of a given text out loud, but the text was a different colour name, like RED in big blue letters, BLUE in yellow, and so on.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jiru posted:

This reads like that old joke image that had you say the color of a given text out loud, but the text was a different colour name, like RED in big blue letters, BLUE in yellow, and so on.
That's actually a pretty important finding of cognitive psychology, called the Stroop Effect.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

That's actually a pretty important finding of cognitive psychology, called the Stroop Effect.

I used it when I taught psychology a couple years ago and watching kids try to read it out was marvelous

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

https://i.imgur.com/5Y8dsOt.mp4

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Weak slope thus mild effect. Come back when your slope is above 1 and maybe I can get you published in the econ journal.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Wanna see the r value on that

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Outrail posted:

Wanna see the r value on that

:rolleye:

https://twitter.com/AmihaiGlazer/status/1278561256589324288

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/laure_wynants/status/1291034571199467520

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Why use P value when you can trust in Q? Vaccines bad! :shuckyes:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Salty statisticians are the best:

R.A. Fisher posted:

To consult the statistician after an experiment is finished is often merely to ask him to conduct a post mortem examination. He can perhaps say what the experiment died of.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every vaguely scientific post grad includes a statistical methods course. But you can get a C+ by copying and pasting the Mythical and Unknown SAS Glyphs found on Google into your command line and cramming with the photo copied notes of the one person who actually understood the course.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Uh, in my graduate biostatistics analysis class we had to do the tests manually to show us how they worked and to remove any "black box number comes out". Only after we did the tests by hand (by setting up the math ourselves) were we allowed to use the "highlight yer data n' head for the data analysis toolpak".

Luckily we didn't have to do CANOCO, cause that poo poo's just voodoo.

Sadly, I've seen way too many students come up with completely nonsensical answers and just go with them because "that's what I got from the calculator ". So, you're telling me you found the mean of these numbers that range from 1.2 to 2.3 and it's 258.412? "That's what I got ".:eng99:

MrUnderbridge has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Aug 6, 2020

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/reina_sabah/status/1291509085855260672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/haircut_hippie/status/1292231468538888192