Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pinus Porcus posted:

In my experience, more of the legit "I can't wear a mask" isn't even from like respiratory reasons, it's more severe PTSD, autism, claustrophobia (or something closely related?) or other neuro or pysch reasons. Also, folks I know with those issues have been trying out face shields, making trips during business lulls so they can get out faster, making efforts in work environments to isolate more so they get more maskless time, etc. 100% successful? Maybe not, but they at least looked into alternatives and have given mask life a go before saying they can't.

I'm autistic and work with people with ASD/PTSD/Comorbid Disorders who have to wear masks. I also spent time recently working in a hospital wearing masks on 12+ hour shifts. The people claiming they can't wear masks are 99% full of poo poo. Masks can be really uncomfortable and there are conditions that make it hard to tolerate, but that's all it is, and it's not erasure or denigration to say so. The vast majority of people claiming medical exemption just don't want to. And that's fine too! Really, it is. Just y'know... accept the consequences of not being able to practice safe pandemic procedure. Eat the layoff and/or the social alienation like an adult. Own the choice. Don't hide behind some nebulous bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ruzihm posted:

An old facebook friend of mine just unironically posted a "blm is a marxist movement because it calls for ~equality of outcome~" video :thunk:

I decided the best course of action was to cite marx at him explaining that marx never called for equality of outcome :newlol:

Yeah, I'd like to know where this was ever expressed by Marx too.

If you really wanted to, you could let them sputter then quote "when our time comes, we will make no excuses for the terror" and ask them if that was also an equality of outcome.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
i have autism and ptsd but the thing that bugs me the most about wearing masks is that no matter what build or make i get they almost instantly cause my glasses to fog up to the point of uselessness and i kind of stumble around half-blind
i still wear them because you know, pandemic

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

StillFullyTerrible posted:

i have autism and ptsd but the thing that bugs me the most about wearing masks is that no matter what build or make i get they almost instantly cause my glasses to fog up to the point of uselessness and i kind of stumble around half-blind

Get something with a wire bridge you can fit around your nose so that breath escapes in another direction.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

If you wear a mask and glasses, you may be entitled to condensation.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yeah, I'd like to know where this was ever expressed by Marx too.

If you really wanted to, you could let them sputter then quote "when our time comes, we will make no excuses for the terror" and ask them if that was also an equality of outcome.

Here's how it turned out - Apparently BLM protesting peacefully isn't real BLM also I should read Sowell

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

mind the walrus posted:

I'm autistic and work with people with ASD/PTSD/Comorbid Disorders who have to wear masks. I also spent time recently working in a hospital wearing masks on 12+ hour shifts. The people claiming they can't wear masks are 99% full of poo poo. Masks can be really uncomfortable and there are conditions that make it hard to tolerate, but that's all it is, and it's not erasure or denigration to say so. The vast majority of people claiming medical exemption just don't want to. And that's fine too! Really, it is. Just y'know... accept the consequences of not being able to practice safe pandemic procedure. Eat the layoff and/or the social alienation like an adult. Own the choice. Don't hide behind some nebulous bullshit.

I mean, I agree, 99% of people saying it are full of poo poo. And I'm happy you and folks your working with are good with the masks, but I am always hesitant to blanket statement re:neuro or psych stuff, and I do apologise if it seemed I did. People who I know struggled have those issues. Maybe they aren't related, but it seemed like they were from explanations given to me, which is all I can base it on. Again I apologise. They all still meet my state's mandates though, just in different ways, or asked for changes from their employer (ie wFH or isolated work space to limit mask requirements). As someone said, it's about accomodations, not out and out dismissal of a public health mandate. Hell, even I've had conditions where myself or a member of my team have had to step away to take a mask off for a few minutes, so I do think some folks may struggle under certain conditions. But accomodations is not the same as a dismissal of the mandate.

Anyone who just filled out some card because they don't want to be inconvenienced can gently caress off. They are like the people with fake service animals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inceltown posted:

Get something with a wire bridge you can fit around your nose so that breath escapes in another direction.

Yeah, my mask uses thick floral wire and it’s great for that. I miss it when it’s drying from being washed and I have to use my backup with some flimsy poo poo in it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ruzihm posted:

Here's how it turned out - Apparently BLM protesting peacefully isn't real BLM also I should read Sowell

Yeah don't even bother engaging if you're going to just let them choose the field like that.

"equality of outcome" was never a Marxist ideal and accepting that as a premise just leads to the disingenuous bullshit you saw there. Same goes for any kind of Crowder-esque "HEY HEY COME DEBATE ME I PROMISE ITS GOOD FAITH" type poo poo.

And loving Sowell. Dude has such a specious understanding of philosophy and political science that he even gets loving federalist libertarians framing his analysis as a self-inserted caricature of Marx as an American Democratic party position. It's Dinesh D'Souza level facile argument.

edit: just say "equality of outcome is a liberal thing" and let them churn over that for a bit. Clarifying anything is only going to feed them grist for the mill, so just say nothing and then accuse them of being a liberal (they are) for wanting equality of outcome and having nothing to prove.

HiroProtagonist has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Jul 31, 2020

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Pinus Porcus posted:

Anyone who just filled out some card because they don't want to be inconvenienced can gently caress off. They are like the people with fake service animals.
Some woman came into my partner's business, complained about the contact tracing info card, then tried to list her name as Jane Doe.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Hollandia posted:

Some woman came into my partner's business, complained about the contact tracing info card, then tried to list her name as Jane Doe.

:wtfdude:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Inceltown posted:

yeah that doesn't work unfortunately.

i produce a lot of hot air. physically and metaphorically.

StillFullyTerrible has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Jul 31, 2020

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

If you can score some medical tape (aka cloth tape) you can put a strip across your nose and maybe a half inch to each side to tape the mask down. It'll force the air out the sides of your mask and not the top.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Get some micropore tape and tape along the top where the mask meets your skin. Your glasses will thank you

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

If you can score some medical tape (aka cloth tape) you can put a strip across your nose and maybe a half inch to each side to tape the mask down. It'll force the air out the sides of your mask and not the top.

:yeah:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I just dont wear my glasses with the mask on and make my roomates tell me what signs say

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Bismuth posted:

I just dont wear my glasses with the mask on and make my roomates tell me what signs say

This seems like a bad plan if you are driving.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Pinus Porcus posted:

This seems like a bad plan if you are driving.

who wears a mask driving??

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zipperelli. posted:

I've just been using normal sticky tape. It probably wouldn't work if it had to last for long, but for a trip to the shops it's fine.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Put a tissue under the part over your nose. It worked pretty well for me until I could get a mask with a nose bridge.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yeah don't even bother engaging if you're going to just let them choose the field like that.

"equality of outcome" was never a Marxist ideal and accepting that as a premise just leads to the disingenuous bullshit you saw there. Same goes for any kind of Crowder-esque "HEY HEY COME DEBATE ME I PROMISE ITS GOOD FAITH" type poo poo.

And loving Sowell. Dude has such a specious understanding of philosophy and political science that he even gets loving federalist libertarians framing his analysis as a self-inserted caricature of Marx as an American Democratic party position. It's Dinesh D'Souza level facile argument.

edit: just say "equality of outcome is a liberal thing" and let them churn over that for a bit. Clarifying anything is only going to feed them grist for the mill, so just say nothing and then accuse them of being a liberal (they are) for wanting equality of outcome and having nothing to prove.

when i cited gotha critik for him he basically went into a circular logic of TEATTN = equality of outcome because marx said the upper stage of communism is about TEATTN which means equality of outcome, which was boring so I thought I could get something more interesting out of him by just moving on :shrug: oh well.

I actually started off the convo by telling him that liberte egualite fraternite is a liberal thing and he really didnt like me mentioning that because that was only for equality ~under the law~ :newlol:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Bismuth posted:

who wears a mask driving??

I do; I have co-worker passengers relatively regularly.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Have you tried a scarf/bandanna that covers your face and neck? I had better luck with those because the air has more places to go so there's less pressure forcing it out the edges.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bandana looks and works better IMO.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i like masks because they free me from performing facial expressions to customers

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

goblin week posted:

i like masks because they free me from performing facial expressions to customers

Hell yeah I haven't heard a Karen tell me to smile more in months

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Pinus Porcus posted:

I do; I have co-worker passengers relatively regularly.

Oh yeah thats fair

I also like masks because i can be way more lazy about shaving off my pcos beard

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/usambnl/status/1288788360094519296

There was an allied cemetery 5 miles away. If he absolutely had to have a photo op at a cemetery (he did not).

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I want to think that this is some Ken M poo poo but 2020 and all..

Local radio station's click bait article...

That image:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Doing a Cause of Death Revealed headline for an 88 year old is hilarious by itself

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What if he was beaten to death with a Casio keyboard?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Gammons see the opportunity to blame Muslims for COVID and just run with it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/geteminphil/status/1289090661992595457
https://mobile.twitter.com/pedro49704430/status/1289089491232268288
https://mobile.twitter.com/joetulip/status/1289080876433891329
https://mobile.twitter.com/TriciaWright17/status/1289099435314745350

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

our state like all the other states is having a big surge in the roni to. not quite as big as texas or florida but our govenor is mealy mouthed moron who let literally everything but hair / nail salons be considered essential during the mandatory closure. Then tried to pretend that the gop didnt make a bill to silence victims killed by police and was just like they didnt know, i didnt know until the protesters pointed it out no one knew and now i wont sign it. gently caress him voting him out the next chance i get. cant wait for these old fucks to gather together and get the roni. i feel terrible for the people who were purged from the rolls and have to reregister and got denied absentee though. i hope they wear a mask to vote.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
All the other states are not having a big surge in coronavirus, she says in Massachusetts.

There are things that work, but most states won’t try them. They’re not easy (our unemployment is crazy high) but they work.

We also have no-excuse vote by mail, and they just sent out postcards where you can request your ballots.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Jul 31, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboRodent posted:

I mean, this is all true. Fungi are very weird.

I like to helpfully point out that they're closer to kingdom Animalia than kingdom Plantae.

Fungi get a bad rap because so many of them are poisonous to us.

Why are they poisonous? They’re locked in an evolutionary arms race with bacteria that are trying to fill the same niches. Sometimes our biology is similar enough to make us collateral damage. Sometimes it isn’t and presto! It’s promising antibiotic candidate.

P.S. I loving wish big pharma saw money in antibiotics. The last time a new family of antibiotics was introduced for gram-negative bacteria, JFK skull was intact.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The local Fox affiliate posted a story about McDonald's requiring masks, and police, potentially, being called to remove customers who refuse to wear one. This is an amazing response (name not hidden since it's a public article on a public page.)

It's just so stupid.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

RoboRodent posted:

There used to be a local restaurant that served a salad with wasabi dressing and rare seared tuna. It was definitely worth ordering.

drat this reminds me I haven't had tuna sushi in so long and now I'm craving some. Just gimme some raw fish!!!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

*another Facebook post made immediately after typing those last three list items and hitting 'send'* maybe the militarized federal police wouldn't need to "invade" Portland if thugs weren't yelling mean things to the courthouse just a thought 🤔

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Add this one to your "block on sight" list, beside "ephebophile":

https://twitter.com/DaneyMCMan/status/1288967382338359302

"MAP" meaning "minor attracted person".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Add this one to your "block on sight" list, beside "ephebophile":

https://twitter.com/DaneyMCMan/status/1288967382338359302

"MAP" meaning "minor attracted person".

I thought this was some kind of grognardy complaint about GMs who give you maps instead of forcing you to draw your own.