Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Force Awakens was exciting just because it was another Star Wars again

The Last Jedi was mostly good and genuinely enjoyable what with actually exploring more of the universe without falling into as many of the derivative tropes that TFA did (as best as I can recall)

The Rise of Skywalker was a complete letdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Some Guy TT posted:

why what did grimdark picard do this time

Not that in specific, just the general trend of writing from STD, and the jokers they're putting in charge of various projects.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

to me the new star wars films seemed to be kind of like game of thrones in that even if you were excited for the first few iterations of it, the last one was so obviously bad that we all collectively got amnesia about the whole thing

is there any franchise or piece of media at all that has staying power anymore now that there’s 10 billion things to watch? I can’t name a thing that came out in the last five years that people still discuss despite its popularity at the time

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1288611555530113024

put here because the source is apparently netflix

can be surprisingly tough to figure out which funny tweets to post in which threads sometimes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theflyingexecutive posted:

is there any franchise or piece of media at all that has staying power anymore now that there’s 10 billion things to watch? I can’t name a thing that came out in the last five years that people still discuss despite its popularity at the time

Depends on where and what you mean by discussion, there's always plenty of that going on somewhere

Does feel weird that Game of Thrones and Star Wars were inescapable for a while and then just loving evaporated with their finales

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

game of thrones remains unescapable in south korea because that drat browser game is everywhere

i dont think ive ever seen anyone actually play it but the ads are all over the place

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

disney pushed all their hopes on giving carrie fisher a giant send off and while also killing her by making her lose an unhealthy amount of weight

jj and kennedy deserve the disaster they caused

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I'm glad the last season of GoT was so bad because it destroyed the two creators future. Otherwise we'd be in the middle of a Lost Causer discourse.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Peanut President posted:

I'm glad the last season of GoT was so bad because it destroyed the two creators future. Otherwise we'd be in the middle of a Lost Causer discourse.

the discourse around all the stupidest people on the internet lionizing danny as their yas slay kween and having absolute conniptions that she ended up bad was some of the funniest poo poo

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll be totally okay with no more pop culture.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zvahl posted:

the discourse around all the stupidest people on the internet lionizing danny as their yas slay kween and having absolute conniptions that she ended up bad was some of the funniest poo poo

she did precisely what she said she was gonna do lmao

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

watched Killing Them Softly last night, which was fine and maybe a bit overhyped by the things i recently heard about it

but brad pitt's little monologue at the end in response to obama's inauguration speech is perfect, probably read incredibly cynical at the time (which, i mean, it is) but has been borne out as more accurate than probably any other filmic sentiments from around the same time, greatly elevated the movie imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6GHnxEJjg

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Zvahl posted:

the white walker ending was so much worse than the one Danny got. Danny's end made thematic sense and fit with the wider plot, even if it was handled badly.

the existential threat of the white walkers was ended with a lovely Boss fight.

I think gurm has a negotiated settlement in mind for the white walker invasion, because it would be a subversion of those types of demonic/alien invasion plots. but it'd be a sort of optimistic subversion that would require exposition, so there was no way the HBO series would do it.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the last jedi felt like a group effort mad lib where someone sees what the earlier entries were going for and was like 'gently caress that i'm taking this in the complete opposite direction'

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

StratGoatCom posted:

Given the ideological leanings of trek, I am increasingly beginning to wonder if it's being deliberately mismanaged by the suits.

Mismanagement is a Star Trek tradition. The only reason DS9 was good was because CBS didn't care about it at all and didn't bother to even meddle.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Zvahl posted:

it's been SO loving RELIEVING

the only movie discourse I've had to loving listen to this entire year is about Cats and Sonic and it's loving wonderful

no goddamn star wars no uninteresting superhero movies none of the nonstop disney garbage that all entertainment has become

it's a shame it won't last but I'm so happy not hearing about it for now

That is the one thing I'm liking about COVID. It's shuffling the deck on so many things we accepted as immutable.

Employers had to allow work from home, my psychiatrist had to get his rear end on e-prescribe, Disney's cheerios emphatically pissed all over.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

StratGoatCom posted:

Given the ideological leanings of trek, I am increasingly beginning to wonder if it's being deliberately mismanaged by the suits.

Whether it is deliberate or just a consequence of capitalism that any media that is even slightly subversive to the status quo eventually gets that quality whittled out of it in the name of profit is immaterial since the result is the same

Something something the cancellation of the future something something complete

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
if you haven't already and really want to get mad about star trek renegade cut's video on rick berman is a hoot and a half

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSz2gW8IsE

it made me mad for days it's great

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i watched that the hunt movie, it was deeply stupid and offensive. its a movie about rich ppl hunting the poor but directly focused on culture war bullshit and cancel culture. so you have incredibly dumb poo poo like the rich fuckers saying "climate change is real!" as they kill some redneck or the rich white people arguing wether its racist or not to hunt a black guy. absolute dreck, dunno who fleeced emma roberts and hillary swank (and glenn howerton!) into being in it

it has some decent action scenes and the main lady is fun to watch i guess

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

After the Goya beans thing and the "Find something else" thing, is SNL basically obsolete? Like, the Trump admin does far better satire than they ever did.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512 posted:

After the Goya beans thing and the "Find something else" thing, is SNL basically obsolete? Like, the Trump admin does far better satire than they ever did.

trump killed comedy, lmao

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

the white walker ending was so much worse than the one Danny got. Danny's end made thematic sense and fit with the wider plot, even if it was handled badly.

the existential threat of the white walkers was ended with a lovely Boss fight.

I think gurm has a negotiated settlement in mind for the white walker invasion, because it would be a subversion of those types of demonic/alien invasion plots. but it'd be a sort of optimistic subversion that would require exposition, so there was no way the HBO series would do it.

Can't remember if it was the TVIV or GBS thread where someone documented the gradual word count drop in the scripts after they surpassed Gurm's material.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Taintrunner posted:

trump killed comedy, lmao

i don't see what possible relation that has to snl

the last time it was funny trump was filming home alone 2

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Zvahl posted:

i don't see what possible relation that has to snl

the last time it was funny trump was filming home alone 2

i watched a re-run from 1993 recently, and despite the loaded cast and Bill Murray hosting (he was promoting Groundhog Day), it was just loving dire.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Remember that episode of 30 Rock where Kennith organizes a strike just to get Jack to sign a document saying that he's a liar?

That's the American left in a nutshell

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So I was bored and ended up watching Freddy Got Fingered.

Tom Green crawled so that Eric Andre could run.

Red Letter Media is totally right about this movie. If you grew up with '90s raunchy comedies, you are in on the joke (as well as knowing or realizing that
the film is essentially Tom Green giving a 90 minute long middle finger to movie execs). If this were on Netflix, it would be a cult classic with Zoomers.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Shin Godzilla blu ray is $5 on Amazon, and is a very good political satire even with the weird nationalist-militarist overtones that creep in towards the end

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/OfficialALW/status/1289237837854859265?s=20

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Forceholy posted:

So I was bored and ended up watching Freddy Got Fingered.

Tom Green crawled so that Eric Andre could run.

Red Letter Media is totally right about this movie. If you grew up with '90s raunchy comedies, you are in on the joke (as well as knowing or realizing that
the film is essentially Tom Green giving a 90 minute long middle finger to movie execs). If this were on Netflix, it would be a cult classic with Zoomers.

It's been on Netflix. I think it may be a Disney property now lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It is very funny though.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDpGq1ndSk

lol wtf is this

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
didn't click on the trailer, but does that guy fully turn his head to the camera and break the 4th wall

edit: it's a documentary lol

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

into the groove & dress you up are back to back on like a virgin and work incredibly well together but did you know that into the groove was recorded separately for the film Desperately Seeking Susan and was only later added on to the 1985 reissue of like a virgin?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/poniewozik/status/1288951377511809024?p=v

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyway in todays edition of some guy itt was watching cable anybody else find it kind of weird that randall in monsters inc is identified as being the bad guy basically because hes kind of a dick for most of the movie mike and sully just think he was trying to cheat in their completely meaningless leaderboard competition

contrast this with sully knowingly breaking a safety regulation and then proceeding to put the lives of literally every single person he meets in danger by dragging a walking uncontrollable emt weapon with him everywhere while he tries to figure out a way to get rid of it without getting in trouble with the cops

then by the time we get back to randall and learn his real motivation its literally a trolley problem style ethical dilemma for which hes treated as being completely evil for being on the wrong side and the disastrous consequences of preventing the experiment on boo are totally papered over by having sully pull a bullshit magical solution out of his rear end

although i suppose the most cspammish objection i could make to the movie is that the cops are depicted as the good guys doing a long term sting on the orphan powered electricity machine which seems fantastically improbable given that you know theyre loving cops

i dont get why people like inc more than university see university is a shockingly relatable portrayal of how actually college can really loving suck because cliques still exist your life can be ruined if you cant figure out how to study right and the only way to get ahead is by working your rear end off and exploiting technical loopholes thats the message our kids should be learning not that government regulations are made up bullshit and that cops actually care about the rules

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That take isn't even lukewarm. It is so obvious that you would have to be unconscious not to catch on to it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

That take isn't even lukewarm. It is so obvious that you would have to be unconscious not to catch on to it.

I think the joke is that he hasn't seen how the first season ends

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Peanut President posted:

I think the joke is that he hasn't seen how the first season ends

... with political norms not protecting him...?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The norms still basically function as intended, his family and allies predictably start a big war when he’s killed. He mainly just underestimates they stupidity of his enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

... with political norms not protecting him...?

i mean seeing something like that as a deep insight is pretty smart if you've never seen what happens next. IDK when I first started watching I kept waiting for the swerve to save Ned Stark that never comes.