Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone tried that tavern game posted a few pages ago?

That's... weird. I'll probably watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
happy birthday strix, You always strike me as a really nice person!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That could wildly depend on what era of Splinter Cell is it based on as the series had quite a steady pace of disappearing up its own rear end. And considering the starting point was Tom Clancy, I'm... not exactly hopeful.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 31, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The John Wick guy gives me hope.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Stop making anme series and actually develop proper sequels to the games we love

Especially Dragon's Dogma

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

And on that note, happy birthday to me! :toot: Wrapping the Forest as the clock ticks over and I become 29, what a way to ring in the new year. May this one be filled with more co-op and better games, and less pandemic nonsense.

Hell yeah, happy birthday. I think we'll see some heavy hitters over the next 12 months with Stray, Cyberpunk 2077, Weird West, Dying Light 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Hitman 3, STALKER 2, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Shadow Warrior 3, Diablo 4, Elder Scrolls 6, the list goes on. I am sure a few of those will release in the later half of 2021 or beyond (looking at you Diablo and Elder Scrolls), but there should be some good solo/co-op times ahead in your 30s.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

How's Civ 6 as baby's first X4 and how necessary are the expansions?

Got the base game for free on Epic and they have a "Platinum Edition Upgrade" sorta cheap.

it's an ok game. not amazing but a lot of the flaws are really only relevant to 4x vets. if its your first try at the genre then civ6 is a good starting point, mostly because there are no better competitors that aren't more complicated games

the expansions aren't really necessary until you start getting bored with the base game but want to keep playing

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Phlegmish posted:

Stop making anme series and actually develop proper sequels to the games we love

Especially Dragon's Dogma
The existence of a Dragon's Dogma series is so bizarre to me.
Like, here's this game that didn't really make huge waves but still has a following 8 years after release despite some jank and a terrible story because it has some of the best combat around. What can we do with that?

Clearly, the answer is "an anime".

StrixNebulosa posted:

And on that note, happy birthday to me! :toot: Wrapping the Forest as the clock ticks over and I become 29, what a way to ring in the new year. May this one be filled with more co-op and better games, and less pandemic nonsense.
Happy birthday!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Happy Birthday!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Edmond Dantes posted:

How's Civ 6 as baby's first X4 and how necessary are the expansions?

Got the base game for free on Epic and they have a "Platinum Edition Upgrade" sorta cheap.

Comes with:

Civilization VI – Vikings Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Poland Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Australia Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Persia and Macedon Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Nubia Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI – Khmer and Indonesia Civilization & Scenario Pack
Civilization VI: Rise and Fall expansion
Civilization VI: Gathering Storm expansion

you can get quite a few fun hours in without the expansions but you will absolutely want them eventually if you get really into it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

Like, here's this game that didn't really make huge waves but still has a following 8 years after release despite some jank and a terrible story because it has some of the best combat around. What can we do with that?

I'm hoping we'll at least get some good unintended laughs out of it, in the spirit of the game

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

StrixNebulosa posted:

Happy birthday Strix!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Fat Samurai posted:

I have never played The Forest so this is pure speculation: maybe a non-cheaty* play through would have pushed you more to do the do the things you've said you didn't do? That would have the thing fit better with your character arc?

As the other half of the team, and having beaten the game once before years ago, not that much. All developer mode did was let us build stupid crap like the gazebo without spending an in-game week cutting trees and picking up sticks, because that part of the game has always been incredibly tedious due to the devs' insistence on "one stick in the mesh = one stick consumed" (and same for logs, rocks, etc). We did save some time by virtue of me knowing where some stuff was and providing hints on where to go when asked, but the biggest difference in difficulty is that playing with two people makes it very easy to stunlock the enemies early on before you get decent equipment to fight with. And even after that one person dealing with the heavier enemies while the other cleans up the smaller stuff makes the combat so much easier than doing it yourself. Not to mention being able to revive your fallen teammates vs. immediately having to respawn if you get downed solo. But all saving time really does is mean the "overworld" difficulty doesn't climb quite as high. By the end of the game we were having no issues at all with the combat, so I don't think it would have mattered even if we had let it get to max.

I still have no idea why you'd ever need to eat the enemies, though. You have to try to run out of food in this game unless you go super deep into a cave without preparing. And just don't do that.

I otherwise agree with her summary of the game's ending and its overall issues, but I obviously enjoyed the game enough to play it more than once. It's still good, just some strange writing choices.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Re: Civ6

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give the base game a try before I spend more money. I also have Endless Legend now that I think about it, but I remember playing an hour and my eyes glazing over trying to understand all the systems.

Maybe I'm just too dumb for the genre and should stick to shooting/stabbing things instead. :v:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Happy Birthday Strix! :D

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Happy Birthday, Strix.

quote:

Civ 6
The only problem I have with base game is the fact that other factions will treat you as war monger for fighting back an invader and taking some of their land. So you are screw either by having a strong enemy that will raid you at anytime or other faction hates you for weakening your awful neighbor. This is fixed in the expansion.

You usually can’t end the war until the invader suffer enough casualties too.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Happy birthday! :toot:

On the Forest: I totally couldn't do that. I'm a dad and the sheer concept of that makes me sick to my stomach. I was considering trying it out till that. I appreciate finding out about it before hand though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is Civ5 still a better alternative than 6? Or has the overpriced expansion changes fix all that?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give the base game a try before I spend more money. I also have Endless Legend now that I think about it, but I remember playing an hour and my eyes glazing over trying to understand all the systems.

Maybe I'm just too dumb for the genre and should stick to shooting/stabbing things instead. :v:

endless legend is more complicated and one of those games that is technically 'better' of a 4x but not so much better than the civ series as to be worth trying to dig into as a first game

turn the difficulty down and just go for it. make sure to build up your military, the AI will jump you if it thinks it can take you. if you have a spare trade route slot, use it. pick a victory condition early in the game and do everything you can to reach that condition first. the best civs for each victory condition in the base game are japan for military victory, germany for science victory through production spam, and russia is probably just the best overall civ. rome is fun if you way to play mean rear end sim empire. scythia is fun if you want to drown the world in :horse: spam. make sure you don't sleep on settling new cities because the AI will beat you to the best spots, but also don't spam so many cities you can't defend them. food is the king resource, Always Be Cgrowing shitloads of food and only stop when you start getting warnings about hitting your population cap per city

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is Civ5 still a better alternative than 6? Or has the overpriced expansion changes fix all that?

eh, people saying civ5 is better are just expressing prefence. both of them cower before the majesty of civ4. civ5 is probably better for multiplayer since it has less of an optimized path to victory, but i'd suggest civ6 as a better singleplayer experience

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fat Samurai posted:

I have never played The Forest so this is pure speculation: maybe a non-cheaty* play through would have pushed you more to do the do the things you've said you didn't do? That would have the thing fit better with your character arc?

I'm curious because this is really unexpected.

*It's not PVP, do whatever you please, this is in no way a Git Gud post.

Other people have answered but basically no. The area we settled for a base had boars visiting literally daily and I could just club them easily to death, hang up their meat so it'd dry out, and voila we had so much meat I took a full load of it into the endgame and only at the VERY end was I digging into the much rarer snacks.

I can see the roleplay perspective though because it's going to take at least a month in-game to get down to the endgame so your poor dude has been in literal hell so he'd be MUCH more messed up than me as the player was. I mean I could turn off the game and get water from the sink and not be attacked by cannibals whenever whereas he was living in this awful shelters and eating boar meat and fighting monsters for at least a month.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Having said that I really liked the Forest and recommend it. It kind of reminded me of Subnautica on land but with a lot more combat. Scary as hell though and the game made me jump out of my skin on more than one occasion. The first time I played it I didn't see a cannibal for a long time. I found a single path down a cliff to a beach which looked like a good place for a base since it was defensible (one path down) and seemed to be out of the way. I was collecting some resource or other when I looked up at the cliff and saw a single solitary cannibal standing at the edge of the cliff just staring at me. For some reason it just freaked me out and I noped the hell out of there.

The Forest NAILS atmospheric horror and making you go "I don't wanna do this I don't wanna do this" as you squeeze into a cave. The cannibals have great AI too and we had at least one staredown where we ran into a group and just stood there for a minute staring at each other before I broke first and charged. Playing alone had me jumping at every twig-snap and weird noise, to the point where I'd huddle by the airplane wreck and pray nothing would happen as I did the sleep thing. The survival aspects are really easy but that's fine, they're not the point: giving you pressure you have to move and go hunt / find water instead of hiding by the plane is incredible game design and that ties into the story thing of needing to find Timmy. Once you're out hunting you might as well look for him too.

Ragequit posted:

Hell yeah, happy birthday. I think we'll see some heavy hitters over the next 12 months with Stray, Cyberpunk 2077, Weird West, Dying Light 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Hitman 3, STALKER 2, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Shadow Warrior 3, Diablo 4, Elder Scrolls 6, the list goes on. I am sure a few of those will release in the later half of 2021 or beyond (looking at you Diablo and Elder Scrolls), but there should be some good solo/co-op times ahead in your 30s.

This is genuinely a golden age for PC gaming and I cannot believe I get to be alive and in a relatively stable position financially for it. Hell yes.

power crystals posted:

As the other half of the team, and having beaten the game once before years ago, not that much. All developer mode did was let us build stupid crap like the gazebo without spending an in-game week cutting trees and picking up sticks, because that part of the game has always been incredibly tedious due to the devs' insistence on "one stick in the mesh = one stick consumed" (and same for logs, rocks, etc). We did save some time by virtue of me knowing where some stuff was and providing hints on where to go when asked, but the biggest difference in difficulty is that playing with two people makes it very easy to stunlock the enemies early on before you get decent equipment to fight with. And even after that one person dealing with the heavier enemies while the other cleans up the smaller stuff makes the combat so much easier than doing it yourself. Not to mention being able to revive your fallen teammates vs. immediately having to respawn if you get downed solo. But all saving time really does is mean the "overworld" difficulty doesn't climb quite as high. By the end of the game we were having no issues at all with the combat, so I don't think it would have mattered even if we had let it get to max.

I still have no idea why you'd ever need to eat the enemies, though. You have to try to run out of food in this game unless you go super deep into a cave without preparing. And just don't do that.

I otherwise agree with her summary of the game's ending and its overall issues, but I obviously enjoyed the game enough to play it more than once. It's still good, just some strange writing choices.

Opening the menu to craft things doesn't pause the game! Therefore having you be lookout while I made some healing mix or whatever was a godsend, as well as the reassurance and the fun of "contact on your left" stuff. I could not have beaten this game without you so I'll say it again, thank you so much.

Irritated Goat posted:

Happy birthday! :toot:

On the Forest: I totally couldn't do that. I'm a dad and the sheer concept of that makes me sick to my stomach. I was considering trying it out till that. I appreciate finding out about it before hand though.

Yeah, don't play it if you're a dad. The opening cutscene is you watching a cannibal take your son away from you while you can only crawl towards him, and the first item on your to-do list is Find Timmy. 90% of the game is going to be completely uninvolved with Timmy because you don't get into plot stuff related to him until the endgame, but it's not going to be a good time either way. Great horror though. Play safe and take care of yourself (and your son)

To everyone who's wished me a happy birthday: THANK YOU.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKt_ZuMNqlw

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Happy birthday Strix! :toot:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Happy Strixday Nebulosa, here's to another year of being a good poster!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

StrixNebulosa posted:

And on that note, happy birthday to me! :toot:

Good job making it to this year!

Let's see if you make it to the next :unsmigghh:

(also happy bday :kimchi: )

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Have there been any updates about Nova Drift coming out of early access? Last I heard it was supposed to land early this year, but obviously that didn't happen.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Morter posted:

Good job making it to this year!

Let's see if you make it to the next :unsmigghh:

(also happy bday :kimchi: )

You be nice strix is on TEAM CANNIBAL now, birthday parties are MANDATORY

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Gotta love logging in for the first time in a few weeks and seeing:

quote:

9 July - Steam Client Update Released
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.

Note: This update has been re-released on July 28th to fix an issue with launching games.

Note: This update has been re-released on July 24th to fix an issue with chat in certain games.

Note: This update has been re-released on July 15th to fix an issue causing web views to crash and reload in certain conditions on 32-bit versions of Windows and new installs of Steam.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Chad Jihad posted:

So I'm guessing the gamepass version of grounded different than the early access?
Gamepass games are the full version of the game though sometimes you run into weird issues that don't show up in the Steam version and early access games are called game previews.

Anyway Happy Bday Strix.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 31, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ultrafilter posted:

Have there been any updates about Nova Drift coming out of early access? Last I heard it was supposed to land early this year, but obviously that didn't happen.

They still update it pretty frequently but it looks like they're planning on an early 2021 release now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do we know anything about the next Elder Scrolls?

If it turns out to be Skyrim: Ultimate Reloaded Gold Edition, I'm going to be pissed

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's Skyrim for Lynx, CDi, Virtual Boy, and Pippin

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shumagorath posted:

Gotta love logging in for the first time in a few weeks and seeing:

It's way funnier if you're on the beta branch. Highly recommended if you don't mind restarting Steam like every 30 seconds.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Happy Birthday Strix! :D

Pick up Alpha Centauri from GOG. It's pretty easy at the lower difficulty levels, and the theming is compelling enough to keep you going even if you're not fully on top of the systems.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Phlegmish posted:

Do we know anything about the next Elder Scrolls?

If it turns out to be Skyrim: Ultimate Reloaded Gold Edition, I'm going to be pissed

They announced Elder Scrolls 6 in E3 2018, along with Fallout 76 and the long rumored starfield, but their progress is pretty nebulous at this time.

All of the above projects were highly anticipated and after Fallout 76s terrible launch, the anticipation has pretty much died down and replaced by cynicism and hopelessness.

The main reason is that they still have no intention of moving away from Gamebryo/Creation Engine that they have been using for all of their games since Morrowind, an engine that is old enough that it would be able to vote and smoke cigarettes by U.S law.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Morrowind is old enough to drink in the EU because we don't have weird hang-ups about alcohol laws.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone else using an XB1 controller on PC, do you have any lag problems trying to use it wirelessly? Doesn't seem to work well compared to other bluetooth devices, or just plugging the drat thing in.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone else using an XB1 controller on PC, do you have any lag problems trying to use it wirelessly? Doesn't seem to work well compared to other bluetooth devices, or just plugging the drat thing in.

I had problems with the Bluetooth too, ended up getting the official wireless adapter which works perfectly

The adapter uses the same proprietary radio as the Xbox itself instead of Bluetooth

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, had the same issue with a BT dongle, but works flawlessly with the official one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wizard Styles posted:

I mean, at least Dragon's Dogma is a japanese game

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Here’s another tip it took me a year of tinkering and an untold amount of money on adapters and cables trying to solve: if you’re having any problems with the XB1 controller, update the firmware first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Yeah my experience with the Xbone controller is also that the official adapter is the way to go, zero problems with that

I happened to find the bundle of controller+adapter at the same price as just a controller locally, so getting it was a no-brainer