Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
10 Man Tag 4 6.25%
Tag Titles 38 59.38%
TNT Title 7 10.94%
Tornado Match 15 23.44%
Total: 64 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

rantmo posted:

Looking forward to seeing how William, a member of the Gunn Club, will be billed and discussed on the show.

Billy... and Austin Gunn of the Gunn club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

NienNunb posted:

Jack the GOAT is back, all is right in the world

Kind of strange that it's a singles match but with Angelico there. Has Jack done any singles matches in AEW? I have a vague memory that he's done maybe one but last year was decades ago so I can't remember.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Billy... and Austin Gunn of the Gunn club.

Just like they used to do for CODY and brandi RHODES

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

rantmo posted:

Kind of strange that it's a singles match but with Angelico there. Has Jack done any singles matches in AEW? I have a vague memory that he's done maybe one but last year was decades ago so I can't remember.

He had one against Omega for the AAA title that Kenny has.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm guessing neither Evans nor Angelico have been practicing at all so they might have some ring rust they need to shake off.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Good card but Braxton Sutter's neck is distractingly long-looking in their promo shot

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I feel like Butcher & Blade / Private Party should be on Dynamite

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Gimme TH2/Kip vs FTR/Hangman

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dacap posted:

I feel like Butcher & Blade / Private Party should be on Dynamite

Very possibly, but what would you have taken off Dynamite to make room for it?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, that's is the thing, they've stacked the roster so full with great acts that they're literally running out of airtime to feature them all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, that's is the thing, they've stacked the roster so full with great acts that they're literally running out of airtime to feature them all.

Gotta make space for Hager though!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, they don't even have a women's match announced for next week. I'm hoping one gets added as a result of Monday though.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rarity posted:

It's important to capture the eyes of the audience that wants to see bigoted lummoxes who are bad at their job and have torsos that look vaguely like a melted candle covered in Crisco.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

TBF they seem to have cooled off on his singles push, so at least you get the entertaining parts of the Inner Circle too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think AEW still has a few too many old dudes who think it matters if you're legit for Hager's singles career to go away but the push has cooled.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I think there's a broader question here, which I've been mulling for a while without coming to a satisfactory conclusion about.

There is too much AEW for Dynamite. Five or six decent length matches a week is not enough to keep all the plates spinning.

This was less of a problem in lockdown when they had nobody available, because five or six decent length matches a week was more than they had crew for. Hence squashes on Dynamite.

However right now they have a significant and growing number of people who, basically, demand screentime. FTR have come in. Lucha Bros are back. TH2 are coming back as of Dark. Butcher and Blade are proving themselves really solid hands. Cage has debuted. They're inevitably going to be doing something with Cardona.

Kip Sabian, who is there just about every week, hasn't had a Dynamite match since early June. His last match on Dynamite was so long ago he still had Jimmy Havoc as a partner.

Basically, they have too much talent, and too many stories, for a single show. So what do you do with them?

One answer is to limit Dark to an hour and make it an actual show where things actually happen. Problem there is that there are people who just watch Dynamite and want Dark to be an optional extra: fun if you have time but you're not lost if you don't. I know for a fact I've seen people complain about Ricky Starks joining Team Taz on Dark, even though I thought it added to the show.

I'm really loath to make AEW a bloated product like WWE where there's a billion hours of TV where nothing happens. So how do you square the circle?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

They're still doing the second show so I think it's a problem that won't last super long. Besides, people don't really need to get used every week for their story/angle to continue.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

TBF they seem to have cooled off on his singles push, so at least you get the entertaining parts of the Inner Circle too.

for all that I very much do not love him, Hager isn't out and out terrible at the big guy enforcer role. He didn't embarass himself in the ten man, unless we're talking about his ring gear. He's got enough background credibility for people to look good beating him.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The second show should be a blend of Dark and BTE. More skits and backstage story stuff but with 2 - 3 solid matches too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I had said it before when they first said they wanted to rotate people and not feature the same people every week that they went about it the wrong way. What I thought they were going to do is take a group of wrestlers, do a few months of stories with them, and then shake it up and swap some people around (so some people would take a month or two to heal and rest) and you keep a rotating cast where some people are on and some people are off but it's more or less the same group from week to week. Instead they seem to be doing a check in on each story every couple weeks. It feels like a big part of why it can feel like very few people get enough screen time, there are very few wrestlers you're seeing every week or you're seeing an update on their story every week. It isn't terrible and it works but that structure for featuring people seems to make it feel like a lot of people are not getting enough spotlight.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

I'm really loath to make AEW a bloated product like WWE where there's a billion hours of TV where nothing happens. So how do you square the circle?

I mean the problem is “too much talent and not enough time” so up to a degree just having extra time is fine, you’re not going to get TV with nothing happening but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns where lol I don’t give a gently caress how much I like the product I’m not gonna watch 9 hours of AEW every week.

WWE’s problem is a billion hours of tv being filled with the whims of an old out of touch lunatic, not just the billion hours of tv.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1289248430313725952

Being as delicate as I can, there are... different interpretations for this picture.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Making Dark essential (and spacing out the scheduling of it) seems like the only way, adding the Dark results ticker was a good step in this direction.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Right now I'm happy watching BTE, A Shot of Brandi, Dark, and Dynamite and I'll probably be happy to add the Women's Tournament to that list assuming it is indeed on youtube and not only the draw being on youtube. Maybe that changes at some point, but they're all good right now.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
need that third hour of Dynamite

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Lamuella posted:

They need to stop hiring more men just because they're available and use the ones they've got for the next 6-12 months. Then start giving people 3 months off (hopefully indies have started to recover in a year) to recharge/work around the country/abroad and start bringing in people to keep the product fresh. Once dark is on TV start using it to forward lower-card stories and keep the jobber/trainee/tuneup matches to youtube exclusives.

Basically eventually start giving workers an off-season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hager was good as the dumb muscle stooge in the Stadium Stampede but that's about it. He can't even FlimFlam well.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

Hager was good as the dumb muscle stooge in the Stadium Stampede but that's about it. He can't even FlimFlam well.

J.R.ishly: "I just think we're gonna see some great stuff from that big tub of mayo. We have not seen his best stuff yet"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lamuella posted:

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1289248430313725952

Being as delicate as I can, there are... different interpretations for this picture.

Take out horny posting. How many are left?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really liked Hagar as the giant goon in the Stampede match that Hangman couldn't stop by himself, but Kenny joining in with the power of Friendship was enough

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

I really liked Hagar as the giant goon in the Stampede match that Hangman couldn't stop by himself, but Kenny joining in with the power of Friendship was enough

He's also pretty funny when he shows up on BTE or weird comedy bits like the Bubbly Bunch but other than that he's just useful for standing around.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cant wait to watch dark on saturday night

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Reality Protester posted:

need that third hour of Dynamite

No thanks

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Sabian not having any matches and being relegated to Penelope Ford's bumbling manager is a good thing. Dude's so bad he made a bunch of people think Hangman was getting too big of a push.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, Sabian is good in his role right now.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/kennyomegamanx/status/1289258087535108097?s=21

I wonder if this Capcom partnership is an indicator that they’re publishing the AEW game.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I wonder if this Capcom partnership is an indicator that they’re publishing the AEW game.

I can't see any reason why Capcom would be interested in that, to be honest. Like, maybe? But it makes so little sense.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cody was talking about using the third hour (of the week, not Dynamite, so don't start panicking) to feature talent that's not getting on Dynamite, so. There you go.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

yea i dont think its anything more than kenny just really likes street fighter and is willing to do ads and community stuff for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1289259535291445255?s=20