Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Barring NPRs generated at game start, other civilisations only spawn when we first enter the system they're in, so turtling isn't as big a problem. Fuel costs and travel times also tend to add up really quickly in Aurora.

Could we get a galaxy map with travel distances from Sol? That option used to be in VB6, I'm pretty sure it's still in the C version.

There ya go, I'll make that a standard part of my updates now, it is useful info. I'll also mark which colonies are where, so as to avoid confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Virtual Russian posted:

There ya go, I'll make that a standard part of my updates now, it is useful info. I'll also mark which colonies are where, so as to avoid confusion.

Are those single hop distances or cumulative. Or rather, is the one way Accatran-Voss trip 12b km?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Those should be cumulative, they measure from Sol.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So that means any ships we plan to attack with need a range of at least 13bkm. (12-5.5 = 6.5 one way, x2 for round trip gets us 13).

Final version of the armoured IG drops the thermal sensor (who needs passive when the plan is to fly fast and die hard? We'll just leave the actives on all the time!) for a fifth fuel tank. That brings the range back up to 14bkm and stays within our tonnage budget. It also brings the speed back up to 4.2k which makes me happier.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 31, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

+++++++ Union of Terra Policy for 2110s Results +++++++

Industrial Focus

C. Strengthen Sol’s Industry

Off World Colonies

B. Improvement

Military Focus

A. Navy

The Kooken Menace

A. A Very Cold War

Tech Focus

Construction/Production and Defensive Systems tied, C&P fits well into strengthening our industry, and I noticed all our shipwrights are demanding better armor, so I'll make armor tech a priority.

+++++++ End of Results +++++++

In the future I think I'll only give a couple options for technology focus, depending on what makes sense at the time. I'm seeing very decisive returns on everything except the tech focus, which I think is too broad and doesn't really offer people a clear vision of what you get when you pick one.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
When we eventually do get a fight, will you explain how that works? Assigning fire control, weapons, how to target enemies, etc?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

These don't seem to match up with actual travel times. I think it doesn't account for intra-system jumps. If you chart a course for a freighter on Earth to Makho's Folly, it's only 1.5bkm, not 5.5

Earth-Makho's Folly: 1.5bkm
Earth-Freeshire: 4.0bkm
Earth-Voss Jumpgate: 3.1bkm
Earth-Voss A-1: 8.0bkm

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
See!? I told you! I TOLD YOU!

Quit antagonizing the weird lizard aliens they said. You're causing an interstellar incident they said.
Well look, now one of the brightest diplomats is space dust because you numbskulls wouldn't listen when I sent in report after report of spontaneous aggression by the Kookens.
I didn't snap! I was right all along!

*huff* *huff*

can I have my spaceship back plz?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Foxfire_ posted:

These don't seem to match up with actual travel times. I think it doesn't account for intra-system jumps. If you chart a course for a freighter on Earth to Makho's Folly, it's only 1.5bkm, not 5.5

Yeah, that's why I at first thought the numbers were referencing distances in real space, measuring light years. I remember that being an option in Aurora, or did I just look at this poo poo and thought wrong the entire time?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I don't think Aurora has any concept of real-space distance between stars. I'm 99.9% sure that it's not possible to travel from one star system to another even if you somehow hacked in a lightspeed engine, so it's not relevant data.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

El Spamo posted:

See!? I told you! I TOLD YOU!

Quit antagonizing the weird lizard aliens they said. You're causing an interstellar incident they said.
Well look, now one of the brightest diplomats is space dust because you numbskulls wouldn't listen when I sent in report after report of spontaneous aggression by the Kookens.
I didn't snap! I was right all along!

*huff* *huff*

can I have my spaceship back plz?

i think we found our volunteer for finding out the enemy's weapon and sensor ranges.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i think we found our volunteer for finding out the enemy's weapon and sensor ranges.

Count me in for any raids into Kooky space.

Come to think of it, is it possible to design a military space station with heavy armor, better sensors and loaded down with missiles, and use a tugboat to get it into the enemy system? We could use that as a defended listening post to detect any incoming attacks before they arrive, and depending on how it does it may even be enough to stop attacks before they transit.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

why stop in their system? park it in orbit of their homeworld.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

I know it doesn't measure Lagrange points, and I know it's not measuring Earth to Colony distances.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

I don't think Aurora has any concept of real-space distance between stars. I'm 99.9% sure that it's not possible to travel from one star system to another even if you somehow hacked in a lightspeed engine, so it's not relevant data.

I'm still a sucker for that kind of poo poo, regardless of relevance. I'm the sort of person who always switches on that map option to see how far away sectors are in relation to each other in Space Empires V, even though it's completely pointless to know that system A is 5,6 ly from that black hole in sector Z.

Like Aurora, FTL movement is 100% done by moving through jump points. (Called "warp points" in this case.)

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
As the Army is willing to back up the Navy in defence of the colonies we present the following mainstay of this tasking:

The Army Aviation Fighter

code:
Army Aviation Fighter class Fighter      330 tons       12 Crew       48 BP       TCS 7    TH 46    EM 0
7042 km/s      Armour 1-4       Shields 0-0       HTK 2      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 1,5
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 65%    IFR 0,9%    1YR 6    5YR 97    Max Repair 23,20 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Morale Check Required    

Nuclear Pulse Engine  EP46,40 (1)    Power 46,4    Fuel Use 840,36%    Signature 46,40    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 10.000 Litres    Range 0,7 billion km (25 hours at full power)

Gauss Cannon R200-25,00 (1x3)    Range 10.880km     TS: 7.042 km/s     Accuracy Modifier 25,00%     RM 20.000 km    ROF 5       
Beam Fire Control R11-TS8000 (1)     Max Range: 10.880 km   TS: 8.000 km/s     8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Lackner-Ebner Active Search Sensor AS1-R1 (1)     GPS 3     Range 2m km    MCR 175,9k km    Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction

utilising current technology, we will produce a faster, more capable and smaller fighter than our current craft, which would allow our current carrier to deploy a strikegroup of twelve fighters.

Three additional components are required:

Engine

code:
 Engine Power 46,40      Fuel Use Per Hour 389,93 Litres
Fuel Consumption per Engine Power Hour 8,404 Litres 
Size 2,9 HS  (145 tons)      HTK 1
Thermal Signature 46,4      Explosion Chance 20%      Max Explosion Size 11
Cost 23,20      Crew 6
Military Engine
Development Cost 232 RP

Materials Required
Gallicite  23,20

Gausscannon

code:
Damage Output 1      Rate of Fire 3 / 5s     Range Modifier 20.000
Max Range 20.000 km     Size 1,5 HS  (75 tons)    HTK 1
Cost 9,0    Crew 3
Development Cost 90 RP

Materials Required
Vendarite  9,0
Fire control

code:
Max Range 10.880 km     Tracking Speed 8.000 km/s
Size 0,68 HS  (34 tons)    HTK 0
Chance of destruction by electronic damage 100%
Cost 4,4    Crew 3
Development Cost 44 RP

Materials Required
Uridium  4,4
Finally, upon development of Commercial Hangar Decks we would be able to deploy these:

code:
Athena class Fighter Base      23.193 tons       238 Crew       2.034,6 BP       TCS 464    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      Armour 8-72       Shields 0-0       HTK 68      Sensors 6/5/0/0      DCR 9      PPV 0
MSP 493    Max Repair 100 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 8.000 tons     
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 36 months    Flight Crew Berths 160    

Fuel Capacity 500.000 Litres    Range N/A

Nas Ordnance CIWS-80 (8x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 8.000 km/s     ROF 5       
Commercial EM Sensor EM1.0-5.0 (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  17,7m km
Commercial Thermal Sensor TH1.0-6.0 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  19,4m km

Strike Group
24x Army Aviation Fighter Fighter   Speed: 7042 km/s    Size: 6,59

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
A heavily armored, well defended, orbiting fighter-base which could be made in our civilian shipyards.

Kodos666 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 31, 2020

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Very early versions of Aurora had a "hyperspeed" (hyperspace?) engine technology, where you could GO FAST a certain distance away from the central star - I guess to make those giant binary systems where the other star is like 1.5 lightyears away from the primary theoretically usable. That's been gone for a good while though.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

I like this idea, since then we can use their homeworld to store the station's excess ammunition. Of course, to get it down there quickly and efficiently, we'll use the station's missile tubes and other guns to send it down in an evenly-spaced pattern, covering the entire surface of their world.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That is the very laat thing we want to do. If we eventually decide on all-out war, and we manage to destroy their starfleet, we will want to conquer them. This is less desireable than it might be otherwise, simce their planet is so hispitable, bit is still desirable.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If you drop the deployment time down to match the fuel, you can either nudge the engine up by 800km/s, add range, or drop the size a bit.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Because while I'm confident we can get a tug through our space to the warp point on our side and transition through, I'm not confident of sending a slow tug from the warp point to their planet without it being intercepted and destroyed. Also, ideally we defeat their navy and then rain drop pods on their planet to conquer it, rather than reduce it to a radioactive wasteland.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Just fyi if you want to get a longer ranged beam weapon you shouldn't sleep on the Plama Carronade. At early tech levels (like ours) it actually will outrange other beams for the same RP investment, because its damage starts off high at low levels.

Eg. - for only 2000rp we could have 25cm carronades that have a range of 160,000km - longer than any other beam we have or would have even going up in a tech level for size and range (which would be more than 2000rp anyway).

Yes, it's only 1 damage at that range, and to take advantage of it we'd need to research the increase for our base beam fire control range to make a BFC for it. And yes, they're larger and slower firing than the other types. But if you can outrange and outspeed the enemy - which beam ships usually want to do - then it doesn't matter how long it takes to chip down the target. And if you can't, then I think having a point-blank 16 damage shot is of more comfort vs a 2 or 3 or 4 damage, even if it doesn't have the best damage template or ROF.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ground combat on their home planet might be....rough to say the least.

That being said if it comes to it I am in favor of a full ground war/narrative fuckery with some spacemaster stuff.

Carpetbombing with nukes is lovely. It wrecks infrastructure and population meaning the planet is relatively hosed for a while. If you go the enhanced radiation route its just another tech and supply chain you have to deal with.

Worst of all imo is that its so overdone that its just boring.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 1, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neophyte posted:

Just fyi if you want to get a longer ranged beam weapon you shouldn't sleep on the Plama Carronade. At early tech levels (like ours) it actually will outrange other beams for the same RP investment, because its damage starts off high at low levels.

Eg. - for only 2000rp we could have 25cm carronades that have a range of 160,000km - longer than any other beam we have or would have even going up in a tech level for size and range (which would be more than 2000rp anyway).

Yes, it's only 1 damage at that range, and to take advantage of it we'd need to research the increase for our base beam fire control range to make a BFC for it. And yes, they're larger and slower firing than the other types. But if you can outrange and outspeed the enemy - which beam ships usually want to do - then it doesn't matter how long it takes to chip down the target. And if you can't, then I think having a point-blank 16 damage shot is of more comfort vs a 2 or 3 or 4 damage, even if it doesn't have the best damage template or ROF.

Also 'carronade' is a fun word.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Since we're doing fighters, here is one with more firepower and less zip (and may be more accurate? dunno how bad the Gauss penalty is -- this is with 2000 bands for the hit rate).

code:
Poseidon class Heavy Fighter (P)      485 tons       22 Crew       58.7 BP       TCS 10    TH 64    EM 0
6607 km/s      Armour 1-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 3      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 3
Maint Life 1.99 Years     MSP 7    AFR 19%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 2    5YR 35    Max Repair 32.00 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 0.3 days    Morale Check Required    

[320 RP] Nuclear Pulse Engine  EP64.00 (1)    Power 64.0    Fuel Use 715.54%    Signature 64.00    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 5,000 Litres    Range 0.3 billion km (10 hours at full power)

Poseidon-Hyperion 10cm Railgun V20/C2 (1x4)    Range 16,000km     TS: 6,607 km/s     Power 3-2     RM 20,000 km    ROF 10        1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0
[48 RP] Beam Fire Control R16-TS6000 (1)     Max Range: 16,000 km   TS: 6,000 km/s     88 75 62 50 38 25 12 0 0 0
[60 RP] Pebble Bed Reactor R2-PB20 (1)     Total Power Output 2    Exp 10%

[ 12 RP] Active Search Sensor AS2-R10 (1)     GPS 12     Range 3m km    Resolution 10

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
(It looked disapprovingly at me when I tried a 1.5 power reactor :( )

Lots of components, but engine is the only expensive one... hmm, how do I look them up, though?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 1, 2020

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Neophyte posted:

But if you can outrange and outspeed the enemy - which beam ships usually want to do - then it doesn't matter how long it takes to chip down the target.

Keep in mind that with the beam weapons basically consuming maintenance supplies as ammo now, this no longer entirely applies the same way it used to.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Carpetbombing with nukes is lovely. It wrecks infrastructure and population meaning the planet is relatively hosed for a while. If you go the enhanced radiation route its just another tech and supply chain you have to deal with.

I keep wondering how everyone in Aurora forgot about neutron warheads. Kill the meat, save the infrastructure.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like most of us aren't pro genocide to begin with, besides having to move all that population would be such a pain.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

I feel like most of us aren't pro genocide to begin with, besides having to move all that population would be such a pain.

I'm just saying, if they give you the option to nuke the planet until it glows, it would be nice to acknowledge the obvious more efficient option for that kind of war. And you don't need to move in everyone at once, you can just transport over a couple million to start.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Just a heads up, I probably won't get to compiling all the ships for the contest until tomorrow. We have so many options, I'm amazed.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

This should be all of them, snipped out.

Shoeless posted:

I keep wondering how everyone in Aurora forgot about neutron warheads. Kill the meat, save the infrastructure.

That's what the "Enhanced radiation" checkbox is for. Halves the warhead damage, doubles radiation damage. That said, the "save the infrastructure" notion of the neutron bomb is largely mythical anyway.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Given our abundance of volunteers for suicide missions, something like this might also be worthwhile

A tiny low power engine & sensor are cheap to research, so we could build a one-off reconnaissance craft from fighter factories and go poking around to get ship counts and tonnage. The crew might even survive!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Foxfire_ posted:

Given our abundance of volunteers for suicide missions, something like this might also be worthwhile

A tiny low power engine & sensor are cheap to research, so we could build a one-off reconnaissance craft from fighter factories and go poking around to get ship counts and tonnage. The crew might even survive!

Honestly, it's not a terrible idea. That's small enough that it would be nearly invisible to sensors unless it has the active switched on, and you don't need to have the active on long enough for anything to get a lock on you and shoot you. A single 5 second tick would let you collect all the data you need. That said, it might piss off the Kooks and send them on the warpath, so it should only be used once we feel secure in our ability to defend our territory.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Did I ever get an officer/admin role yet Virtual Russian?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

That's what the "Enhanced radiation" checkbox is for. Halves the warhead damage, doubles radiation damage. That said, the "save the infrastructure" notion of the neutron bomb is largely mythical anyway.

Doesn't the radiation still mess with the atmosphere and ramp up the colonization cost?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Doesn't the radiation still mess with the atmosphere and ramp up the colonization cost?

It has the same effect as any other radiation. Just like real-world enhanced radiation weapons, commonly called "neutron bombs" .

A neutron bomb is still a nuclear explosion, just smaller. There is no "kill all the people, leave the rest untouched" weapon. That is pure myth. Enhanced radiation weapons were developed to take out tank divisions, because it turns out that a vehicle curved and sloped to deflect shells is shockingly resistant to the blast effects of a small atomic weapon, but does not keep out radiation. So radiation output was cranked up to kill the crews in a "holy poo poo the Russians are pouring through the Fulda Gap" scenario. Later, i was discovered that neutron radiation is hellaciously effective at destroying electronics, so the Russians tipped their second-generation anti-ballistic-missile missiles with them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And then you've got the cobalt-salted bombs which are just designed to produce as much fallout as possible to gently caress people over in the long-term.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Orbital bombardment will only end in making the planet inhospitable, if only for a somewhat short time.
I say:

Bayonet these traiterous Scaly deviants!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How about a compromise - an Orbital Bayonet. Impale each and every Kooken... from space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How about a compromise - an Orbital Bayonet. Impale each and every Kooken... from space!

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/34146/this-is-our-best-look-yet-at-the-shadowy-hellfire-missile-with-pop-out-sword-blades

Except from an orbital launcher