Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zane posted:

neither the coronavirus nor the blm movement have done anything to either accelerate the contradictions--as classically conceived--within capitalist production or to increase the class identity of wage labourers within capitalist production. these are not crises at the point of production. nobody is demonstrating as a 'worker.' workers have no power as bearers of social labour if they are unemployed and there is no demand for them to supply. there is no value for them to withhold! there is more pressure now on the state to intervene with the imperative of promoting certain public goods. but this is just welfare capitalism.

Tens of millions lost their source of income. Millions are about to lose their homes. The government is about to cut the aid checks that put food in people’s mouths. All this while American cities are already burning. And you think we aren’t about to see some poo poo? Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Total lol at that Bar Rescue ref.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

How about we have an authoritarian takeover in which the enemy of the government is those who wish to codify institutional segregation with the caveat that, to get them all, some white people will get caught in the trap. A dictator steps in and says, you know what, we’re doing this wrong, let them - yes them too - get healthcare, if it makes it easier to do. Shows of force like, making schools good, impossible expenditures for a weak nation. A loud voice who screams that kids should eat food no matter what.

NOT IN THIS COUNTRY BUCKO

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Man the little girl with her mom :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With regard to the episode, I gotta say this because I never heard John Oliver say it, although he danced around it:

genocide
genocide
genocide
genocide
"soft" genocide
genocide
definitely some "hard" genocide too though
genocide
genocide
genocide
severe widespread racism
genocide
genocide
genocide
ethnic cleansing
ethnic cleansing
genocide
genocide
genocide

'cause that's what the whole thing is. Just gotta lay that out there. There's a whole lot more that is being done to the Uighurs if you keep digging for more specificity to the atrocity. I think the short story is that Xi Jinping is an authoritarian dictator for life trying to establish China as an ethnostate as part of his consolidation of power.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
This episode was just an average day ending in y for China

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Has there been any official backlash from the CCP yet? Normally when stuff like this airs they have an official "you have hurt the feelings of the Chinese people :( ps the following companies are now officially barred from China:" statement within minutes

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I’d guess he dances around that word because it derails the argument with some people. If someone can say, “bUt ThEy ArEn’T iN dEaTh CaMpS,” it detracts from how it is absolutely still 100% cultural genocide. “Cultural erasure” doesn’t evoke the same specific set of reactionary language.

It’s like how AOC accurately described ICE detention centers as concentration camps. Her critics jumped all over that as some dishonest lib ploy because ICE isn’t actively throwing people in gas chambers. Even though “concentration camp” and “death camp” aren’t the same thing, and the term she used was accurate.

China is definitely attempting to erase Uighurs from existence. I’d call it genocide, too, but even on this very forum, someone once got upset that I referred to the treatment of Native Americans as “genocide.” I guess if it isn’t 1:1 with the Nazis’ playbook, it doesn’t count with some people.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Randomly caught this headline this morning. Someone mad.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/sean-hannity-john-oliver-siriusxm-hes-not-funny-1203000861/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Let me talk at length abut how little I care about John Oliver"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

LWT has been weaker about comedy as the news becomes more apocalyptic. I'll say that.

Although while comedy has been LWT's overall premise for not being a news show, Hannity's show is legally not a news show and doesn't even try to be funny.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LWT is excruciatingly unfunny and although I wish he would cut back on those bits, it would probably just become the TV equivalent of doom scrolling.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlothfulCobra posted:

LWT has been weaker about comedy as the news becomes more apocalyptic. I'll say that.

Their best comedic bits were their complex, drawn out stunts which took months of planning and behind the scenes work to pull off and that stuff is nigh impossible during a pandemic lockdown. :(

Just imagine all the crazy stuff they must have had halfway done which they had to completely abandon. :( :(

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

On the bright side we got rat erotica.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

And maybe we soon will be getting more weird stuff:
https://www.cracked.com/article_21223_8-horrifying-movie-props-you-wont-believe-you-could-buy.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hakkesshu posted:

LWT is excruciatingly unfunny

You're the authority on the matter oh ho ho

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

He is mildly amusing enough to get people to pay attention to things they normally wouldn't that is good enough and more then we should expect from a random 30 minute television show from a comedian.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Real good episode. I like the sly response to the Hannity thing.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Orange Devil posted:

Maybe the only time I have felt pride for my city.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That orgasm joke was great and better than anything any of JOs detractors have ever posted imo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a really good episode that hits on a lot of the important parts of the historical context of the situation we find ourselves in today. A lot of the rights won with emancipation were lost with the end of reconstruction and the literal overthrow of reconstruction-era governments. There have been steps forward and back, right now we're in a period where there has been a lot of backstepping and it's going to take a lot of work to turn things around.

There's a real strategy to all the things that just disappear down memoryholes, because when some major accomplishment gets torn down, or some atrocity occurs to set a new status quo, then if you cover it up, it creates a new feeling of hopelessness as if this was always the current state of things, and it really helps when the historical revisionism gets embedded into the next generation's childhood, because then all the fabricated confederacy nostalgia can germinate into something more concrete than the failed secession ever was. It's not even exclusive to racial issues; there's been plenty of backsliding on things like unionization, monopolies, environmental protection, treatment of native americans, immigration, distribution of tax burden, housing, and voting rights that all goes down the memory hole so that people think that we're at the pinnacle of history and nothing else can possibly be done.

I kinda wish he commented on the threat to suspend the election, but honestly I assume they're building a new folder full of the coming wave of vote suppression for a later epsiode.

Also on a pointless technicality, redlining wasn't about keeping blacks out of the budding white suburbs, it was about preventing money from going into black neighborhoods so that they wouldn't prosper like white neighborhoods. Many suburbs as well as the government lending programs helping families move there had anti-black policies (like the one that Trump has been convicted on having), but that was a separate thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The short clip of the American exceptionalism guy intrigues me. Obviously no-one here can precisely speak for the guy, but I do wonder if it's that he just thinks everywhere else outside America is some third world country where every day consists of 10 mile treks for water before sleeping in a bed of cowshit, if he just thinks "freedom" as he/America defines it is so unique to America that people must be miserable even if they live broadly similar lives to his own, if the handful of notable social and cultural differences between America and any other first world country make life so much better that even days with natural disasters in America are still better than a day in [insert other country] where, I don't know, it's nice and sunny and you won the lotto or something or if it really just comes down to something simplistic like "no guns = no freedom"?.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

tsob posted:

The short clip of the American exceptionalism guy intrigues me. Obviously no-one here can precisely speak for the guy, but I do wonder if it's that he just thinks everywhere else outside America is some third world country where every day consists of 10 mile treks for water before sleeping in a bed of cowshit, if he just thinks "freedom" as he/America defines it is so unique to America that people must be miserable even if they live broadly similar lives to his own, if the handful of notable social and cultural differences between America and any other first world country make life so much better that even days with natural disasters in America are still better than a day in [insert other country] where, I don't know, it's nice and sunny and you won the lotto or something or if it really just comes down to something simplistic like "no guns = no freedom"?.

It's kind of a combination of all of that.

~American Freedom~ is seen as something unique and special to the United States. Old or intentionally altered textbooks give an outdated, jingoistic, and self-centered narration of history which makes everywhere else seem like either a Third World Shithole or a post-War hellscape of burned out buildings and military police. Throw in a mindset that is stuck in 1987, where there are only three types of countries: Communist Enemies, People Who Need to be Protected from Communist Enemies, and Poor People. The first two get tanks (either at or for them) and the third gets pity in the form of aid. There is nowhere in this worldview for the idea that being anywhere except America is good. America is Rome: The Eternal City - The Shining Beacon on the Hill. The Promised Land.

In this view, no matter how bad it is here, being anywhere else is unarguably worse.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also if that guy has ever been out of the country, it's probably just to a Mexican border town which... does not give a good or accurate impression of what Mexico is like, let alone the world in general.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
everyone should have a copy of LaFeber's "The American Age" on hand

https://www.amazon.com/American-Age...=Walter+LaFeber

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's really nothing to talk about on the election delay threat, Trump can't. Congress could technically pass something to delay it, but regardless Trump's term ends in January and short of a constitutional amendment that can't change.

I would be somewhat curious who would be president in that scenario, no election and the term ending. I suppose it would fall down the line of succession to somebody that still had time left on their elected term, like the speaker of the house or something

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Azhais posted:

There's really nothing to talk about on the election delay threat, Trump can't. Congress could technically pass something to delay it, but regardless Trump's term ends in January and short of a constitutional amendment that can't change.

I would be somewhat curious who would be president in that scenario, no election and the term ending. I suppose it would fall down the line of succession to somebody that still had time left on their elected term, like the speaker of the house or something

Given the large amount of mail-in ballots this year, a plausible scenario might be that they take a lot of time to count and it's not clear who won until well after Election Day, or that it's contested. (There's also always the remote possibility of an electoral tie, although frankly it's looking like this year may be an obvious victory for Biden if he doesn't screw it up.)

In any case, the Constitution is clear on this -- if there's no evident winner of the election, Congress has to sort it out. But the House decides the President and the Senate decides the Vice President, which means you could potentially end up with a President and VP from different parties/tickets.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

In the interest of bipartisanship,

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, the long-planned demolition of the US Postal Service is being really accelerated in preparation for the election.

https://twitter.com/EllieRushing/status/1289880547536166912

And there's every reason to expect a whole lot more vote suppression because the death cult's not going to give up without a fight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Azhais posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLbNekBU1A

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Azhais posted:

Whoever has enough power. Legalism doesn't matter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I remember you from Police Academy, Steve Gutenberg:unsmith:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I remember him from High Spirits, which is also my main exposure to Peter O’Toole and Daryl Hannah (before Kill Bill anyway.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

I remember him from High Spirits, which is also my main exposure to Peter O’Toole and Daryl Hannah (before Kill Bill anyway.)

For me, Daryl Hannah is and will always be Splash. Also that one movie where she's topless (it's set in Africa). I think that was her. But I also remember High Spirits. I wonder how badly it's held up.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Alhazred posted:

I remember you from Police Academy, Steve Gutenberg:unsmith:

So he was in pro cop propaganda?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

So he was in pro cop propaganda?

There was a neat series of videos a while back about how police were originally depicted in film and TV as the butt of jokes until hollywood went very much pro-cop as part of a strategic alliance to align the industry authorities with the more common worldly authorities.

It finished off with talking about Police Academy as mostly just an application of a genre that was popular at the time to the police that may have had some incidental relevance, but mostly tried to have it both ways. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmREdsMfFcI

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Merkinman posted:

Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?

We do, we dooooooooooooo!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Throw in a mindset that is stuck in 1987, where there are only three types of countries: Communist Enemies, People Who Need to be Protected from Communist Enemies, and Poor People.

I was posting in the GBS George Floyd protests thread a few hours ago and said that American Exceptionalism and "Rugged Individualism" were toxic at their core and were major contributors to everything that the BLM movement was fighting against and some random chud poster immediately accused me of loving the Soviet Union, LOL

McCarthyism alive and well in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lmao.