Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
chytil missing an open net on the backhand ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
How did the panthers give up on trocheck

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
ugh Carolina looks good and the rangers....don’t

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Someone please explain the goalie numbers.

I saw something like 12-23-3.

I figure it's W-L but what's the last number? Draws? There's draws in hockey?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Overtime or shootout losses

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Overtime losses

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The crowd sounds are actually pretty good so far

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What should I know as a new hockey watched? My favorite sport is baseball and soccer so bear with me.

This is like soccer on skates. It rocks.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So is this the GDT and the n/v thread?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Leafs in 4
Pens in 3
Panthers in 4
Canes in 4

Jets in 5
Oilers in 5
Nucks in 5
Preds in 4

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Overtime losses. If a regular season game is tied after regulation it goes to a 5 minute 3 on 3 overtime. If it's still tied after that, there's a shootout to determine the winner. In the playoffs (and the play-in thing here) overtime is 5 on 5 as twenty minute periods until someone scores a winner. There is no shootout.

Confusingly, there used to be ties in hockey but they were done away with after the lockout 15 years ago so you may see some goalies from the past with a 23-12-2-5 record. There aren't too many remaining goaltenders who played in the era of ties though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mind_Taker posted:

So is this the GDT and the n/v thread?

It’s august, our shitposters are rusty too

But not as rusty as the rangers look goddamn

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yeah good lord no supporting each other at all and no cohesion to their play from the Rangers

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jupiter Jazz posted:

What should I know as a new hockey watched? My favorite sport is baseball and soccer so bear with me.

If you're having trouble following the puck, don't worry about it too much. It's not really possible to see it at every moment even for experienced fans, look for body language and the way guys are facing/reaching with their sticks. It generally becomes obvious who has the puck after a moment or two if you lose track of it.

Fights are rare these days so don't expect to see one (although there was actually one earlier).

Like in all sports, Boston sucks.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

make a gdt ya bums

also these teams should try taking shots

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ThinkTank posted:

If you're having trouble following the puck, don't worry about it too much. It's not really possible to see it at every moment even for experienced fans, look for body language and the way guys are facing/reaching with their sticks. It generally becomes obvious who has the puck after a moment or two if you lose track of it.

Fights are rare these days so don't expect to see one (although there was actually one earlier).

Like in all sports, Boston sucks.

It is very hard to follow but I'm having fun with the action!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Hockey is fast and they can fight dudes. Reffing is remarkably terrible, and there's less selling for penalties than in soccer because you usually either get away with murder or get called for nothing. If one of the players attempts to move the puck down the ice, but it goes over the short glass along the long sides of the rink, regardless of intent, it's a penalty and it's loving garbage.

You should ask questions whenever they occur to you.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hockey is good.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
hockey is truly back

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

grassy gnoll posted:

Hockey is fast and they can fight dudes. Reffing is remarkably terrible, and there's less selling for penalties than in soccer because you usually either get away with murder or get called for nothing. If one of the players attempts to move the puck down the ice, but it goes over the short glass along the long sides of the rink, regardless of intent, it's a penalty and it's loving garbage.

You should ask questions whenever they occur to you.

Short glass? You mean the glass on the edge of rink?

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Jupiter Jazz posted:

There are more complicated ways to end tie games during the regular season.

For the playoffs, if the game is tied after 3 periods they just keep playing and whoever scores the next goal wins. No draws, it's just straight-up Wins-Losses.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What is a power play?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jupiter Jazz posted:

What is a power play?

Man advantage. The other team has a guy sitting a penalty.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Panarin and Zibanejad are arguably the most talented players in this series and they need to step up and play like it. They were shamefully invisible this period

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm new to hockey and even I know the Canes are playing better. They have control of the puck far more. I'm mesmerized by the skating and the way the players control the puck with their sticks. That was very physical and awesome but it's also so overwhelming to the senses as a newcomer. It's like being pushed into the deep end.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Levitate posted:

yeah good lord no supporting each other at all and no cohesion to their play from the Rangers

yeah it's been a fun game to watch but this is really accurate

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’d guess the rangers had less than 5 minutes of time in the o-zone that period

And probably like less than 2 minutes actually in control and attacking

shameful period, lucky to only be down by 1

Rangers hockey, baby

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

OldSenileGuy posted:

Rangers hockey, baby

I'm rooting for the Rangers but please explain o-zone

Is that near the other teams goal?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

What is a power play?

The plexiglass around the rink is the boundary of play. The shorter panes are relevant because chipping the puck over those causes the delay of game penalty, but hitting it out over the taller panes around the goals is just a stoppage of play.

If your team is guilty of a penalty infraction, you lose a player for two minutes for a minor, four for a double minor, or five for a major penalty. You can also lose more than one player if multiple dudes have committed a penalty during the same incident or stretch of time, though you won't be down more than two men on the ice. This makes it easier for the other team to score, for obvious reasons. If the team on the power play scores on a minor penalty, that's it - the PP is over and done with. They can keep playing with a man advantage if they're benefiting for the duration of a major penalty.

Normally you can't just dump the puck down the rink without a stoppage of play. If you're defending on a PP, you can, which is what Carolina's been doing fairly frequently, because they're being morons.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jupiter Jazz posted:

It is very hard to follow but I'm having fun with the action!

As a general summary of the sport, each team puts six guys on the ice at any given time. Three forwards who are generally tasked with scoring, two defencemen who are mostly tasked with shutting down the other team's forwards and a goalie. There are three twenty minute periods, overtime occurs if its tied afger that.

Each team dresses twelve forwards, six defencemen and two goalies. Skaters are divided into lines of three each, a left wing, a centre and a right wing. Generally the "top lines" or "top six" are the most talented scorers and the other forwards "bottom six" or "checkers" are more defensive minded. The top lines usually play 19+ minutes a game, the bottom lines can play as little as 8 or 9 minutes.

At the same time as forwards, defencemen are in pairs called "pairings." Your top pairing is generally your best defencemen who play with the most, with your other two pairings paying somewhat less.

Goalies play the whole game unless they're awful and get "pulled" for the backup.

When an infraction occurs, a penalty is called and a two minute powerplay occurs. The team that took the penalty has to play down a player for that stretch and are referred to as "short handed" or "on the penalty kill." Powerplays result in a goal about 20% of the time.

Scoring forwards are generally broken down into goal scorers (who are the best shooters) and play makers (who are adept at finding open guys to score. The last two players to touch the puck before the goal scorer are given an assist. Goals and assists are counted equally in their totals. The best players in the world will get around 100pts in an 82 game season (e.g. 30 goals 70 assists). A very good night for a player is to have three points in a game. The lesser lights among forwards are checkers or defensive forwards who normally play outside the top six and are good at disrupting opposing forwards.

Defencemen are broken down as offensive defencemen who participate in the offence more frequently and defensive defencemen who are good at stopping the other team from scoring and/or hitting. Two way defencemen are equally proficient at both. The best offensive defenceman will put up around 60 points a season.

As with all sports there are a million variations of those roles, but that's a general summary

In short:

Top line: best forwards, play the most
Second line: also scorers, play a bit less
Third Line: shutdown forwards, often play against the other team's top line
Fourth line: mostly spare parts, don't play much

Top pairing: best defencemen, play 20+ mins a night
Second pairing: generally okay, match up against second lines
Bottom pairing: spare parts, play a lot less than the top two pairings.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 1, 2020

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

The plexiglass around the rink is the boundary of play. The shorter panes are relevant because chipping the puck over those causes the delay of game penalty, but hitting it out over the taller panes around the goals is just a stoppage of play.

While I don't think this stuff is particularly important to know as a newbie, it doesn't matter which part of the glass the puck goes over; the only thing that matters is where the puck was launched from: it's only a penalty if you shoot from your own defensive zone (behind the blue line at your end of the rink) and the puck goes over the glass without hitting anything on the way.

And those penalties are quite rare these days because the rule has done its job conditioning the players to not do it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I'm rooting for the Rangers but please explain o-zone

Is that near the other teams goal?

The offensive zone, so being on the other team's side of the ice, past the blue line (the blue lines painted into the ice beyond the center area, which is the neutral zone.)

Note that the teams will switch sides of the ice for the second period, switch back again for the third, and then switch once more for any overtime. This is done because it means the teams are evenly disadvantaged by the geography of the ice rink itself (in the 2nd and overtime it is harder to get to your own zone from the bench to relieve people on defense and switching on the fly is fine in hockey but is harder to do during a pause.)

Icing is shooting the puck from your own zone into the other team's zone (over both blue lines) and not being the first team to reach it on the far side. It's not icing if you shoot it that far and your team reaches it first or the goalie has to play it. Icing can be called without the puck actually being touched if a referee can make an educated guess that the other team will get their first. This "no-touch icing" rule exists so guys don't slam into each other so hard at the other side of the rink trying to get to the puck.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

grassy gnoll posted:

If your team is guilty of a penalty infraction, you lose a player for two minutes for a minor, four for a double minor, or five for a major penalty. You can also lose more than one player if multiple dudes have committed a penalty during the same incident or stretch of time, though you won't be down more than two men on the ice. This makes it easier for the other team to score, for obvious reasons. If the team on the power play scores on a minor penalty, that's it - the PP is over and done with. They can keep playing with a man advantage if they're benefiting for the duration of a major penalty.

Normally you can't just dump the puck down the rink without a stoppage of play. If you're defending on a PP, you can, which is what Carolina's been doing fairly frequently, because they're being morons.

I don't understand what's so bad about shooting the puck over it? This feels like the most random of rules? My entire reaction to this post is ...but why? Two minute penalty for accidentally hitting a puck over some glass? What the gently caress.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

OldSenileGuy posted:

Rangers hockey, baby

I mean it may be partly the problem with this "try to restart the season after 5 months" thing...some teams are gonna look better and some are gonna look like they need more time to get their chemistry back and so far it looks like the Rangers are struggling with their chemistry etc. Some of their top players just don't quite look prepared

Some adjustments could turn this around quick but dunno if they'll be able to do that this game.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Each team dresses two goalies for each game. You're not gonna believe what happens if both goalies got hurt!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I don't understand what's so bad about shooting the puck over it? This feels like the most random of rules? My entire reaction to this post is ...but why? Two minute penalty for accidentally hitting a puck over some glass? What the gently caress.

before it was a penalty teams would just intentionally shoot the puck over the glass in the defensive zone anytime they started facing pressure and couldn't easily break the puck out. The penalty was an attempt to stop that behavior

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Because it’s an easy way to save yourself in a defensive situation otherwise. It’s classified as “delay of game” because it would be an easy way to get your defenders a break instead of letting the offense keep attacking.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Because I find people get confused as to what the point of icing is, it's to stop teams just firing the puck all the way down the ice from their own end when they're under pressure. It forces the defensive team to try and regain possession in their own end from the attacking team and then move the puck out.

Offside is when an attacking player crosses the blue line before the puck. This stops guys just trying to hang around the opposition end trying to get easy breakaways.

The run of play is divided into two distinct aspects. The "rush" where guys are skating the length of the ice at speed to try and score and "the cycle" where the attacking team slows the game down in the opposition end and tries to move the puck around to set up a scoring chance. The amount that teams rely on one style or another depends on their talent level and overall strategy. Generally playing off the rush is riskier as it can result in more turnovers, and is most often done by the top lines. Bottom lines generally "dump the puck in" where they shoot it in deep and try to retrieve it to set up the cycle as it's viewed as overall less risky.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

Each team dresses two goalies for each game. You're not gonna believe what happens if both goalies got hurt!

How do you think Carolina would feel if Ayres won an elimination game for NYR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Levitate posted:

before it was a penalty teams would just intentionally shoot the puck over the glass in the defensive zone anytime they started facing pressure and couldn't easily break the puck out. The penalty was an attempt to stop that behavior

Arivia posted:

Because it’s an easy way to save yourself in a defensive situation otherwise. It’s classified as “delay of game” because it would be an easy way to get your defenders a break instead of letting the offense keep attacking.

Ah, that makes sense.