Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm doing the responsible thing and not buying H:ZD right away because I'm still neck deep in AC: Odyssey and they're both extremely similar games in scope but man I can't wait to play H:ZD :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

explosivo posted:

I'm doing the responsible thing and not buying H:ZD right away because I'm still neck deep in AC: Odyssey and they're both extremely similar games in scope but man I can't wait to play H:ZD :ohdear:

Well first of all, AC Odyssey is about an exiled woman from a mysterious lineage gifted with an ancient piece of technology that lets her see the world beyond the primitive understanding of her contemporaries. Not really seeing the similarities here.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

exquisite tea posted:

Well first of all, AC Odyssey is about an exiled woman from a mysterious lineage gifted with an ancient piece of technology that lets her see the world beyond the primitive understanding of her contemporaries. Not really seeing the similarities here.

Or an Exiled man

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
August is gonna destroy me. HZD, both FF14 and Warframe have big updates coming, I still haven't finished Odyssey or Yakuza 0, and I have gently caress all available drive space. :ohdear:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Tekken 7 is 77 gigs and a third of that is just every FMV from every Tekken game ever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fargin Icehole posted:

Or an Exiled man

Who?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Barnabas.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what games are 69 gb(giggitybytes)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Veib posted:

Tekken 7 is 77 gigs and a third of that is just every FMV from every Tekken game ever

Can’t blame them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTKJ_AUzc6s

:eyepop:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Speaking of game sizes, this year's call of duty is over 200 gb.

I think my cutoff for not just leaving a game installed is like 20gb.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
As a dev you can always just cut all the old content people paid for but aren't playing anymore because you made it obsolete, if your game gets too bloated. This also lets you sell the same stuff again later.

Destiny 2 is hilarious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

August is gonna destroy me. HZD, both FF14 and Warframe have big updates coming, I still haven't finished Odyssey or Yakuza 0, and I have gently caress all available drive space. :ohdear:

I somehow got addicted to Vermintide 2 again and now I constantly play it and nothing else

Saving money is easy if you have a simple, one-track mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-ZGP68-3w

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh yeah they're fantastic, but still

Also shameless suck up Lee is the highlight of every Tekken 5 ending he's featured in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esYDLlIYRPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxcJitgkzk0

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Ugly In The Morning posted:

From what I’ve heard, with the expansion it has to have everything installed twice. Otherwise if you boot up vanilla it may try to call a file that was modified in the expansion, have no idea wtf to do, then crash.

Having watched a friend go through the unholy ritual that is assembling and publishing a simple voice pack for that game, I do not doubt in the least that this would be the case. Everything seems to indicate XCOM2 is held together with chewing gum and a prayer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: fultoning might be the best video game mechanic I have ever seen

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Veib posted:

Lol i bought Tekken 7 on ps4 and most of my playtime was watching those fmvs

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Re: Fae Tactics

StrixNebulosa posted:

When you say not far, are you still in the infinite tutorial traveling zone? I've been on this road to this city for days and I think the game might be ready to let me play instead of learning new mechanics.
I've made it past the first boss to the second city. About 3 hours in. The game is still introducing new mechanics. At level 10, which the dog reached just after the first boss thanks to being MVP every fight, characters gain ults.

And now the main character has learned how to cook, too:

I don't mind it, though. Characters only have one equipment slot and, usually, levels only mean higher stats. So apart from new summons and spells you pick up in battles new mechanics are really the main addition to your arsenal. The game also has good mechanics, although it could communicate them better in some places. I still don't completely understand what leveling a character's Reaction really does, for example. And the UI isn't doing the game any favors - it's good for the turn-to-turn gameplay but not for looking anything up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: fultoning might be the best video game mechanic I have ever seen

Taking stealing everything that isn't nailed down to its natural conclusion.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Quick question, just got a coupon for a free Humble Choice month. If I redeem it today, will I get July's games or August's games when they release? I don't care for the lineup this month so I'd rather wait for the next games. The coupon expires August 7th.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Wizard Styles posted:

I still don't completely understand what leveling a character's Reaction really does, for example. And the UI isn't doing the game any favors - it's good for the turn-to-turn gameplay but not for looking anything up.

I'm a touch behind you but if you look at their stats, there's a reaction% likelihood, and if you look at the character sheet between missions it will tell you what their reaction is. Dog is +attack stat, bird is aoe heal/shield, etc.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I know Iratus is worth the cost alone but any impressions of Iron Danger?

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/daedalic-2020

ends soon

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

tripwood posted:

Quick question, just got a coupon for a free Humble Choice month. If I redeem it today, will I get July's games or August's games when they release? I don't care for the lineup this month so I'd rather wait for the next games. The coupon expires August 7th.

If you redeem it today you would get July's games.
The month changes on the 7th so I'm not sure you will be able to save it for August's games.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 2, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait until you get the BIG fultons.

There's nothing more satisfying than sneaking up to an enemy tank and attaching a giant balloon to it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Hub Cat posted:

If you redeem it today you would get July's games.
The month changes on the 7th so I'm not sure you will be able to save it for August's games.

To be specific, the games roll over at 1pm eastern on the seventh. No idea when the coupon expires. I assume they set it up for this month only because it's kinda meh (Verlet Swing is a great time)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Veib posted:

Oh yeah they're fantastic, but still

Also shameless suck up Lee is the highlight of every Tekken 5 ending he's featured in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esYDLlIYRPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxcJitgkzk0

that's some good rear end Tekken

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Iverron posted:

I know Iratus is worth the cost alone but any impressions of Iron Danger?

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/daedalic-2020

ends soon

Iron Danger is pretty decent. The story is extremely generic/stupid and the pacing could be better. However, the combat is pretty neat and the time manipulating mechanic works quite well.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Original Sin 2 is 60 GB because it contains both the release verision of the game AND the enhanced edition. No, you can't install the latter separately.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Starcom nexus is a fun chill top down galaxy exploring game that I recommend. It's also really pretty in a restrained way and has a nice dry sense of humor.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 2, 2020

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I ended up buying and playing 15.2 hours of Iratus and i cant play a second of it more without going from "slight annoyance at having spent money on it" to straight up resentment.

I think it's a really bad game. Mainly because of how much it just tries to do the "darkest dungeon thing" which would have been perfectly fine if there was any improvements to the systems at all.
Instead it just feels like they were trying to fix some the "problems" some people had with DD and did it in the most half-assed way possible.

- The game is just way to easy on the normal difficulty. Of those 15.2 hours, i only had one fight i was in danger of losing and that was only because i accidently (due to the lovely interface) went into a battle with
a team of only two characters.

- All the abilities are incredibly boring. There's not a single interesting one among them and none of the "upgrades" change that. Some of them also just feels terribly balanced to the point where I just dont see why
I would ever use them.

- The narrator is annoying as hell. I like Blood as much as the next guy but he's got like 10 lines that just play over and over and over again and maybe 1 or 2 of them were funny the first time you hear them.
The music is also just bland and boring.

- The artstyle is just straigh up garbage. It looks like a terrible phone game and it's made even worse by some of the laziest animations i have seen in a long time. The way the characters move and how stilted everything is
reminds me of something out of this old dumb video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4w7ChpuaM

- I also think that its a really pathetic to bill this game as some kind "you are the evil wizard guy come to spread death and terror" when its made clear right away that the world sucks poo poo and that being hot boob vampire enthralled to this idiot is infinitely better than whatever the "good guys" are doing. Just commit to letting us be the bad guy instead of whatever this garbage is.

- This is an extreme pet peeve but the skeleton keeps talking, sprouting the same one liner again and again and that makes me mad for some reason.

Im not very good at formulating my opinion on games so I usually don't, but I figured i would do it for Iratus since i very rarely end up disliking a game like this.

also Frog Fractions: Game of the Decade Edition is out:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1194840/Frog_Fractions_Game_of_the_Decade_Edition/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Reminder that UnderMine comes out in like 4 days :toot:. https://store.steampowered.com/app/656350/UnderMine/

Its a roguelite Zelda LTTP-esque aesthetic where you have metaprogressions to upgrade your tools, potion drop tables, etc and fight your way through floors with a pickaxe and other fun tools, etc etc. Perhaps not super innovative in terms of the formula, but it's beautiful, very slick and well polished, and has many "OH FOR gently caress SAKE GOD DAMNIT! ok one more run... this is my last one i promise" *6 hours laters its 3am* "ok just one more run i really gotta sleep since i have work tomorrow...." moments

For those that already own it, here's a preview of their 1.0 post https://undermine.game/undermine-one-point-zero

It quickly has become one of my favorite roguelites.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256793940/movie480_vp9.webm
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256758982/movie480.webm

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is there a way to not have that mustache?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

the only real problem with 2pointer is the general practitioner loop, as far as I remember

a patient has to see one everytime so eventually your hospital becomes an absolute quadmire and slows down to the point of people dying left and right if you don't have enough (see: 2/3 of your hospital) or patients just randomly start getting lost, while having an appointment and clogging up the entire thing

hopefully that half has been fixed by now but jesus

They patched in an option to skip the return visits and have patients go straight to treatment/the next diagnostic room (which one is chosen is a bit hazy though) yeah, together with a diagnostic certainty % slider.
You still need a shitload of GPs even with that. Also in mid-lategame, when the labour market only offers pre-trained people with a horrible mishmash of skills, it becomes difficult to get good people.
Training your people from zero is much more fun, in the early levels :unsmith:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Wizard Styles posted:

Re: Fae Tactics

I've made it past the first boss to the second city. About 3 hours in. The game is still introducing new mechanics. At level 10, which the dog reached just after the first boss thanks to being MVP every fight, characters gain ults.

And now the main character has learned how to cook, too:

I don't mind it, though. Characters only have one equipment slot and, usually, levels only mean higher stats. So apart from new summons and spells you pick up in battles new mechanics are really the main addition to your arsenal. The game also has good mechanics, although it could communicate them better in some places. I still don't completely understand what leveling a character's Reaction really does, for example. And the UI isn't doing the game any favors - it's good for the turn-to-turn gameplay but not for looking anything up.

If you hover over the character screen's reaction stat, it will tell you what it does. And yes, it's convoluted way to convey that information. In the party member select screen the info is all written out. Mostly.

Loving the game but the difficulty is a little whack sometimes imo esp. for meeting bonus objectives for xp/loot, and I'm only playing normal. The game DESPERATELY needs actual functioning tooltips. The simplicity of the equip/skill system is pretty well done I think, although I wish I could set the Protag's element in its own menu

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's funny, but it's really actually a kinda terrible mechanic. It removes any of the difficulty from non-lethal takedowns (guards waking up, body discovery) and even if the fulton is seen, it doesn't cause an alert or anything, it's basically at the same level as a weird noise to the guards, plus it gives you stats for your eternal stat grind to research new gear. Meanwhile, lethal takedowns leave the evidence on the map no matter what, punish you score wise at the end of the mission and don't reward you with the new staff member. Later on, it even gets more ridiculous and ends up making anti-tank weaponry pointless and any enemy armoured units totally irrelevant as a threat. While I love the silliness of seeing a tank get picked up by a balloon, it, and a lot of the game's design decisions, just give you less reason to interact with the vast array of gadgets and weapons at your disposal.

However, fultoning animals never stops being funny as gently caress. That can stay.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fae Tactics: the game finally gave me pokemon and hello okay I love this, I really enjoy how it feels like a distant cousin of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced of all things. Other folks have said more indepth stuff about it and I can't match that except that hey, I'm having fun and I really like feeling like I found a lost GBA classic.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fae Tactics: the game finally gave me pokemon and hello okay I love this, I really enjoy how it feels like a distant cousin of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced of all things. Other folks have said more indepth stuff about it and I can't match that except that hey, I'm having fun and I really like feeling like I found a lost GBA classic.

Fae Tactics : FFTA :: Fell Seal : FFT?

sold

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Iverron posted:

Fae Tactics : FFTA :: Fell Seal : FFT?

sold

yeah this is pretty accurate

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, finished Doom Eternal.

I really enjoyed it once I got used to... all the game demands of you. And let me tell you, the game does not gently caress around; combat was quite involved even in Hurt me Plenty (the 'normal' difficulty). They do a good job of introducing mechanics gradually so you're not overwhelmed, but once everything is in play, I gotta say it can get a bit much.

Between the glory kill/flamethrower/chainsaw 'trinity' to keep you alive (two of which have cooldowns which you gotta keep track of), the grenade cooldowns (two types of grenades), the dashes and the constant weapon switching because of the rather low ammo counts there's a lot of poo poo going on at any given time.

Which is not to say it's impossible; once you get into a rhythm, clearing a whole encounter without having touched the ground once because you kept hitting launch pads, monkey bars or flinging yourself everywhere with the meat hook feels fantastic.

Exploration is really fun and feels... Doom-y? Dunno how to explain it, I saw a lot of people complaining about the gameification of the sequel but I think that stuff fit right in for some reason.

Having said all that, I got beef with some decisions: I get that the ammo is limited on purpose to get people to interact with the chainsaw mechanic and rotate weapons, but it's a bit too limited for my taste. Add to that the fact that you can only chainsaw very basic mobs (has 3 levels, only recharges the first one) and from time to time your carnage will come to a screeching halt while you zoom around the arena looking for that one imp to refill your poo poo.

Could have liked it if the chainsaw recharged 2 levels instead of 1 so you could hit the bigger baddies from time to time, and some weapons could have used some more ammo capacity.

There's no really a good way of getting the gently caress out of dodge if you get surrounded. I know this is on me for getting surrounded in the first place, but I've gone from full everything to losing a life in just a couple of seconds after a particularly bad movement decision that landed me between a pack of demons and a wall.

And that brings me to the biggest gripe with the game: The loving Marauders. Holy gently caress what an unfun enemy to fight. The 'middle range' at which you have to stay for them to swing is fiddly as gently caress, and they're equally likely to shotgun you in the dick or do the kamaitachi bullshit (which almost never misses), all the while blocking everything you throw at them. They laugh at special weapons so your best bet is catching them with the super shotty so you can get 2 shots off when they stagger... but if you miss a couple shots now you're out of ammo so go chainsaw some zombie while the loving ghost dogs they can summon bites you in the rear end.

Overall fantastic game with a few frustrating moments born of the aforementioned design choices; I got like 95% of the stuff in my first run (including the slayer gates which are really fun) so I don't think I'll go back in anytime soon, but it was a great 15-16 hours.

/fake edit: gently caress me that's a lot of words

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I stopped playing Doom Eternal when the Marauder became a regular enemy. gently caress that, I'm not willing to put up with such a bullshit enemy so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Azran posted:

I stopped playing Doom Eternal when the Marauder became a regular enemy. gently caress that, I'm not willing to put up with such a bullshit enemy so many times.

As lovely as they are, they don’t become a normal enemy. The amount you have to fight (iie not slayer gate or purple orbs) is like maybe 5. And you’re about 75% done by the time you hit the first one