Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
I"m considering a career change and could use some feedback. I'm 33 with a B.S. in Microbiology and have been working in the brewing industry for the past 6 years. I've spent time in the lab doing quality assurance and time on the floor as a brewer. I'm frustrated with the lack of growth potential, poor hours (currently working 3rd shift and rotating weekends), general physical exhaustion, and pay. I currently make around $55k/year in Chicago. I've identified a few options, but could use a reality check.

1. Hunker down and work on professional education: I could pursue a formal education in brewing, which is the only real resume point that I lack. This may help open the door to some better positions in the industry. The problem with this is that brewing education isn't accredited or recognized anywhere but in brewing, so it won't help me if I ever change careers. There are also only 2-3 breweries in Chicago that can pay what I'm making now, so if there aren't leadership/supervisory positions available then it doesn't really help. Breweries also tend to promote from within since a lot of knowledge is facility-specific. It's almost a game of "Who has been here the longest? OK, promote that person." I"m also geographically restricted to Chicago because my wife is the bread-winner and has a great job here.

2. Pursue MBA with a focus on operations: Chicago metropolitan area is packed with food production facilities. This would make good use of my background, but open some doors for positions with more growth potential. I don't mind the mundane nature of manufacturing with regards to beer because I'm passionate about brewing, though I don't know if I'd be interested in going to work everyday to make Snickers bars or whatever, though.

3. Pursue a career in software development: this one is a bit out of left field, but lately I've been doing some coding classes online and think it would suit me. There seem to be a lot of opportunities with good pay. I've also looked at MIS a bit and that seems like a good option as well. I don't know how easy it would be to transition to either or these areas. I know I would need to invest in education. Perhaps a bootcamp for coding or going back to school for MIS?

I'm open to other suggestions. For the longest time, I've had this singular goal of working in the brewing industry. While I enjoy what I do, the compensation and work schedule is just getting to me (and as far as brewers go I'm actually compensated fairly well). I work hard and want to be compensated accordingly. And if that isn't the case I want to able to move around to find the right compensation. That isn't really possible in brewing since it is such a niche industry that makes it difficult to move around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fuckwolf posted:

I"m considering a career change and could use some feedback. I'm 33 with a B.S. in Microbiology and have been working in the brewing industry for the past 6 years. I've spent time in the lab doing quality assurance and time on the floor as a brewer. I'm frustrated with the lack of growth potential, poor hours (currently working 3rd shift and rotating weekends), general physical exhaustion, and pay. I currently make around $55k/year in Chicago. I've identified a few options, but could use a reality check.

1. Hunker down and work on professional education: I could pursue a formal education in brewing, which is the only real resume point that I lack. This may help open the door to some better positions in the industry. The problem with this is that brewing education isn't accredited or recognized anywhere but in brewing, so it won't help me if I ever change careers. There are also only 2-3 breweries in Chicago that can pay what I'm making now, so if there aren't leadership/supervisory positions available then it doesn't really help. Breweries also tend to promote from within since a lot of knowledge is facility-specific. It's almost a game of "Who has been here the longest? OK, promote that person." I"m also geographically restricted to Chicago because my wife is the bread-winner and has a great job here.

2. Pursue MBA with a focus on operations: Chicago metropolitan area is packed with food production facilities. This would make good use of my background, but open some doors for positions with more growth potential. I don't mind the mundane nature of manufacturing with regards to beer because I'm passionate about brewing, though I don't know if I'd be interested in going to work everyday to make Snickers bars or whatever, though.

3. Pursue a career in software development: this one is a bit out of left field, but lately I've been doing some coding classes online and think it would suit me. There seem to be a lot of opportunities with good pay. I've also looked at MIS a bit and that seems like a good option as well. I don't know how easy it would be to transition to either or these areas. I know I would need to invest in education. Perhaps a bootcamp for coding or going back to school for MIS?

I'm open to other suggestions. For the longest time, I've had this singular goal of working in the brewing industry. While I enjoy what I do, the compensation and work schedule is just getting to me (and as far as brewers go I'm actually compensated fairly well). I work hard and want to be compensated accordingly. And if that isn't the case I want to able to move around to find the right compensation. That isn't really possible in brewing since it is such a niche industry that makes it difficult to move around.

I can't help much for option 1 and 2. I made an effort post here for option 3:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533210&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=49#post505046092

I would probably not generally recommend going back to school if you already have a bachelors and experience for a coding/developer route. Do some self learning to see if this is something you are passionate about and find a (good) bootcamp or commit full time to learning on your own and produce some decent things. Basically, you need to have interesting things you've developed in order to get a real job, though it doesn't need to be commercialized software.

Transitioning is not hard, and the previous experience is helpful in general. Plus computer nerds like beer so you'll immediately be an interesting person. But learning to code isn't something that can be done part time in 6 weeks so you'll need to make a big commitment at some point to do it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can probably get an ops job in a non-brewing field, and see how you like it, before committing to your MBA. You can do a very good ops focused MBA. My wife just finished her MBA at Ross, and there were a bunch of ops hardos, which was pretty cool. As you've rightly surmised, there's a big difference between liking ops in a field you enjoy, and inherently liking ops. I think you should try before you buy re the MBA. If you got an ops job outside of brewing, I don't think it would be limiting for you within brewing - often times additional outside-industry experience could be seen as useful.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Thanks for the feedback. Still not sure what I’ll do, but that was helpful.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Got my first "big boy" job offer letter as my last one was literally a 1 page email saying you're hired.

Basically moving on from a small 5 man company that does bridge inspections, to a bigger 500+ employees "corporate" job doing the same thing. So going from my environment of a handshake agreement and really lax and negotiable working conditions, to a more structured I assume corporation (with at least more potential for advancement and money, which is why I considered it).

Big concern is I don't know what needs to be in a formal job offer, like obviously they won't do hilariously illegal stuff but what things should I be making sure is in it.

I do know I'm going to be asking for clarification on car use because of the mileage I would be racking up, but other than that I don't know what I need to know.

Any help?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

From a vastly different industry (finance), but I happen to have my offer letters from my last couple jobs right here. The one from my first job contains the following sections:
-Role
-Location of work
-Salary
-Working hours
-Discretionary Performance Incentive Scheme
-Probation
-Company Housing Program
-Relocation Payment
-Social Insurance Contributions
-Retirement Pension Plan
-Secondment
-Rules of Employment
-Employment and Personal Information
-Termination
-Non-Competition
-Non-Soilcitation
-General
-Confidentiality, Intellectual Property and Inventions

And the second job:
-Commencement Date
-Corporate Title
-Manager
-Division
-Department
-Workplace
-Annual Base Salary
-Standard Terms & Conditions

A bare-bones offer letter would contain only things specific to your situation. Something like a car use or expense policy is likely codified somewhere else, since it's probably standard for everyone with a given title or job.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Whatever you agreed upon or expect. Sort of depends on your context what that is but that's idea. Idk if they are even meaningful in a legal sense. Especially in at-will states where no reason is necessary.

Double check everything too. I've had offer letter sent with less $ than discussed verbally

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At least in most (all?) jurisdictions in the US they're not a legal contract, so it really doesn't matter what's in the offer letter. Lots of times people say "oh get what you've negotiated in writing" which isn't necessarily bad advice, but if the company tries to gently caress you out of stuff you've negotiated with them, you should quit your job.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, I've only ever worked places where we sent out super generic, non binding offer letters that had only the bare minimum.

Generally I'd say make sure:

Salary
Start Date
Vacation Time
Any other negotiated perk

are all present and correct.

That would be the most common list. Those are the only things I ever included in mine.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Alright. I also should have mentioned I'm in Canada where it does have some weight when signed.

The offer lists most of those points and I'm going back for some clarification on some other points that were talked about verbally. Especially using my personal car for work when I was told I would be using a company car.

Thanks guys!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I am lost; Like a dizzy person on a cliff. I graduated my university with a degree in General Psychology (no specializations), but have been having trouble finding a job that seemed achievable or interesting. As such, I've worked Loss Prevention at retail, and as a substitute aide for autistic children. Neither of these have entirely worked out, for various reasons.

So, what're some other jobs that may be worth looking into? Something a person with a General Psychology degree could do? I'm hoping to find something that feels more tailored to my strengths and weaknesses, as well as my field of expertise ( have no other degree).

I mean, I enjoy the role of "content creator on Youtube" more than anything else I ever tried (I enjoy the work, and people seem to enjoy it as well), but, that doesn't seem super sustainable :cheeky: !

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 28, 2020

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Fionordequester posted:

I am lost; Like a dizzy person on a cliff. I graduated my university with a degree in General Psychology (no specializations), but have been having trouble finding a job that seemed achievable or interesting. As such, I've worked Loss Prevention at retail, and as a substitute aide for autistic children. Neither of these have entirely worked out, for various reasons.

So, what're some other jobs that may be worth looking into? Something a person with a General Psychology degree could do? I'm hoping to find something that feels more tailored to my strengths and weaknesses, as well as my field of expertise ( have no other degree).

I mean, I enjoy the role of "content creator on Youtube" more than anything else I ever tried (I enjoy the work, and people seem to enjoy it as well), but, that doesn't seem super sustainable :cheeky: !

Does Change Management sound interesting to you? You could try by starting in a junior management analyst or just junior analyst position and work/study your way up. If you get a job with an organization that gives tuition assistance, go for an MBA or MA in management next. Knowing psychology would help because it is very difficult to change people’s behavior, especially for those who have been doing things the same way for many years.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
If you're entrepreneurial, marketing with an emphasis on video content could be very lucrative.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Goons can you help me out? I'm a florida lawyer that's been practicing two years. I don't really like being a lawyer because I hate dealing with rear end in a top hat lawyers and clients. I recently graduated (may 2020) with a masters in finance. I am still working full time as an attorney.

For every entry level finance job, I'm told I'm overqualified. For any mid to senior level finance job, I'm told I lack the experience or that I'm an excellent candidate and right for the position but they're going with someone whose background matches the position better.

I'm a 70% disabled veteran so I should have veteran's preference for what little that has seemed to matter for me. I just want a job that will pay me decently as right now I make $22.50/hr on a 1099 contract.

I really don't know what to change or where I should look next. I'm not interested in sales or commission based work.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Goons can you help me out? I'm a florida lawyer that's been practicing two years. I don't really like being a lawyer because I hate dealing with rear end in a top hat lawyers and clients. I recently graduated (may 2020) with a masters in finance. I am still working full time as an attorney.

For every entry level finance job, I'm told I'm overqualified. For any mid to senior level finance job, I'm told I lack the experience or that I'm an excellent candidate and right for the position but they're going with someone whose background matches the position better.

I'm a 70% disabled veteran so I should have veteran's preference for what little that has seemed to matter for me. I just want a job that will pay me decently as right now I make $22.50/hr on a 1099 contract.

I really don't know what to change or where I should look next. I'm not interested in sales or commission based work.

Look for contract analyst type positions, especially in medical or financial (which will fit for your masters). A lot of those jobs hire lawyers (though not exclusively), you only sorta work with other lawyers and usually not clients too often, and its more corporate boringness than courtroom assholery.

Pay isn't private firm good, but its usually good enough, and it's usually ~40 hours a week vs trying to bill a bajillion hours. Once you have that experience, your finance background would be a really good fit for in-house consul stuff, but you probably don't have that experience level yet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My aversion to lawyers is specifically opposing counsel. Outside of someone who I went to law school with and knew personally before we were pitted against one another, every single one has been a giant rear end in a top hat. Rude, dismissive, lots of yelling, etc. I just don't have it in me to fight with someone daily for a pittance.

I work at a private firm now only making $22.50/hr 1099. I don't know where all the lawyers making good money work.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Meshka posted:

Does Change Management sound interesting to you? You could try by starting in a junior management analyst or just junior analyst position and work/study your way up. If you get a job with an organization that gives tuition assistance, go for an MBA or MA in management next. Knowing psychology would help because it is very difficult to change people’s behavior, especially for those who have been doing things the same way for many years.

So it's not anything in the Psychology field, rather, it's someone who helps people figure out how to use new technology? And my psych skills would help with that? That sounds like something I could do, actually!

moana posted:

If you're entrepreneurial, marketing with an emphasis on video content could be very lucrative.

Marketing with an emphasis on video content... What do you mean? As in, I keep producing content, just, I put more effort into advertising it?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 28, 2020

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Fionordequester posted:

So it's not anything in the Psychology field, rather, it's someone who helps people figure out how to use new technology? And my psych skills would help with that? That sounds like something I could do, actually!

Marketing with an emphasis on video content... What do you mean? As in, I keep producing content, just, I put more effort into advertising it?

It could be technology or just general changes in business processes. If you can make a 100 people use a new IT tool and processes correctly you will make a lot of money. It is a lot harder than it sounds and just having leadership order it is not enough.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Meshka posted:

It could be technology or just general changes in business processes. If you can make a 100 people use a new IT tool and processes correctly you will make a lot of money. It is a lot harder than it sounds and just having leadership order it is not enough.

That... Actually sounds like something I could manage. I've helped my parents work with technology all my life, and I think I have the patience for it, too. Thanks!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

There might be a better thread for this, but does anyone in here have experience transferring internationally within the same firm? I'm looking to relocate to Canada (I have dual citizenship) in 18-36 months and my only real hangup is finding a new job once I've moved, so this seems like something that would be potentially attractive and maybe more viable than usual for companies that are planning on suspending in-person operations at least into 2021 (I could probably be ready to move as early as January 2021 if that were necessary).

I have some pretty broad HR experience with a growing HCM platform so I have a pretty wide range of employers I could consider.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Fionordequester posted:

A bachelor's degree in psych is not a useful career credential. To actually work as a psychologist - whether it's in research or some kind of clinical practice - you'll almost always need a masters or doctorate level degree. Undergrad degrees that give you direct job training are actually not that common.

The good news is that there are an awful lot of white collar jobs that ask for a bachelor's degree, but don't really care what your major was. The degree just becomes a way to say that you've got basic skills, including the ability to learn new things, and that you're capable of committing to and finishing a four year long project without any catastrophic fuckups. Your specific training in psychology might come in handy in an office, where you're going to need to figure out how the people you work with tick so that you can get along with them, but you probably won't be asked to directly use what you learned in your psych classes as part of your job. Instead, you're going to need to do a lot of learning on the job, using the learning and communication skills you've hopefully picked up in college.

tl;dr: look for office work and don't get hung up on it not being "psychology related"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fionordequester posted:

That... Actually sounds like something I could manage. I've helped my parents work with technology all my life, and I think I have the patience for it, too. Thanks!

project management bay bee

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

project management bay bee

Get your PMP and your SHRM-CP and get paid 180k to sit in meetings and be a thought partner for the rest of your days.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Or less than 60k if you’re in a desirable industry like tv

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cockblocktopus posted:

There might be a better thread for this, but does anyone in here have experience transferring internationally within the same firm? I'm looking to relocate to Canada (I have dual citizenship) in 18-36 months and my only real hangup is finding a new job once I've moved, so this seems like something that would be potentially attractive and maybe more viable than usual for companies that are planning on suspending in-person operations at least into 2021 (I could probably be ready to move as early as January 2021 if that were necessary).

I have some pretty broad HR experience with a growing HCM platform so I have a pretty wide range of employers I could consider.

I managed someone who moved to Canada! It was a giant pain in the rear end and my company ONLY did it because we had an Canadian office and the currency exchange worked out so that we could do it if he basically agreed to a pay cut (which I opposed but was overruled).

I would imagine most companies would generally not be too excited about it so look for places where they have offices in Canada I guess.

Mr. Nice! posted:

My aversion to lawyers is specifically opposing counsel. Outside of someone who I went to law school with and knew personally before we were pitted against one another, every single one has been a giant rear end in a top hat. Rude, dismissive, lots of yelling, etc. I just don't have it in me to fight with someone daily for a pittance.

I work at a private firm now only making $22.50/hr 1099. I don't know where all the lawyers making good money work.

Yeah, look for corp jobs my man. Contract analyst/manager, regulatory jobs, quality, those kinds of things.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

I managed someone who moved to Canada! It was a giant pain in the rear end and my company ONLY did it because we had an Canadian office and the currency exchange worked out so that we could do it if he basically agreed to a pay cut (which I opposed but was overruled).

I would imagine most companies would generally not be too excited about it so look for places where they have offices in Canada I guess.

Yeah I'm only looking at multinationals with established presences in both countries right now. In theory I'd be able to land a job "in Canada" then just be employed through their US office instead until Date X, then I'd transfer to Canada.

My wife's work is supportive of her working from Canada but I know that it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end to actually get that set up.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Cockblocktopus posted:

Yeah I'm only looking at multinationals with established presences in both countries right now. In theory I'd be able to land a job "in Canada" then just be employed through their US office instead until Date X, then I'd transfer to Canada.

My wife's work is supportive of her working from Canada but I know that it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end to actually get that set up.

I'm a bit confused. You want to transfer to the Canadian arm of your current firm? Or you're looking for a new company entirely?
In either case, it's best to reach out to the Canadians directly. Since you already have dual citizenship they'll probably just treat you as they would any other local hire.

If you just want to live in a different country from the one where your company is headquartered, that's an entirely different ballgame. For example, how would you get paid? Would you expect them to make an international wire transfer to pay your salary? Or just keep receiving your paycheck in the US (which requires you to maintain a US bank account, and thus a US mailing address)?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

zmcnulty posted:

I'm a bit confused. You want to transfer to the Canadian arm of your current firm? Or you're looking for a new company entirely?
In either case, it's best to reach out to the Canadians directly. Since you already have dual citizenship they'll probably just treat you as they would any other local hire.

If you just want to live in a different country from the one where your company is headquartered, that's an entirely different ballgame. For example, how would you get paid? Would you expect them to make an international wire transfer to pay your salary? Or just keep receiving your paycheck in the US (which requires you to maintain a US bank account, and thus a US mailing address)?

I'd be looking at moving to a new company (my current employer only has US employees). In theory I'd probably expect to work through, say, August 31 in the US then start September 1 in Canada and get switched over from US tax to Canadian tax on 9/1 (when I'd legitimately be moving) but this is already going past what I've figured out. Presumably there'd be some adjustment of compensation associated, but I'm in a low-cost of living area right now so I'm not too worried about that at this point.

I'm specifically thinking a company like Google that's already anticipating being WFH through mid-2021 (or possibly even better, a company that's already fully remote or switching to that model) would be a good choice for this since I could fold my relocation into their return process, but this is all literally some harebrained scheme that I've cooked up in the last 48 hours so I'm kind of gut-checking here before going too deep.

Obviously this would be something I'd mention in my cover letter and discuss early in a phone interview but I'm just vaguely curious if it's plausible right now.

(I also sincerely love my current job and would keep it if at all possible but I can't see my current employer supporting me working in another country indefinitely.)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Fionordequester posted:

As in, when I go to financial planning conventions, there is a person there with a setup that you pay to go in and have them record you and edit up your video. They charge a lot. So you could be that person.

Obviously you could pick a different industry to try to get into, finance is just what I'm familiar with, but being able to slap some captions and a nice intro/outro onto raw video footage is a ticket to printing money if you can get a toehold into some industry. I'm also a self publisher and authors pay lots of money for video book promos. Get yourself a drone and edit together wedding videos. Video tours are big right now in real estate for obvious reasons. If you really enjoy doing video, it's totally a viable field to launch into.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'd be looking at moving to a new company (my current employer only has US employees). In theory I'd probably expect to work through, say, August 31 in the US then start September 1 in Canada and get switched over from US tax to Canadian tax on 9/1 (when I'd legitimately be moving) but this is already going past what I've figured out. Presumably there'd be some adjustment of compensation associated, but I'm in a low-cost of living area right now so I'm not too worried about that at this point.

I'm specifically thinking a company like Google that's already anticipating being WFH through mid-2021 (or possibly even better, a company that's already fully remote or switching to that model) would be a good choice for this since I could fold my relocation into their return process, but this is all literally some harebrained scheme that I've cooked up in the last 48 hours so I'm kind of gut-checking here before going too deep.

Obviously this would be something I'd mention in my cover letter and discuss early in a phone interview but I'm just vaguely curious if it's plausible right now.

(I also sincerely love my current job and would keep it if at all possible but I can't see my current employer supporting me working in another country indefinitely.)

I'm still not really following. Why not just tell Google Canada that you're planning on moving to Canada on $${SPECIFIC_DATE}, and you would look to start soon after that? Then you can keep your current job that you sincerely love right up until you move.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

zmcnulty posted:

I'm still not really following. Why not just tell Google Canada that you're planning on moving to Canada on $${SPECIFIC_DATE}, and you would look to start soon after that? Then you can keep your current job that you sincerely love right up until you move.

All things being equal, I'd rather have a job lined up before moving since my timetable will be tied to my wife's immigration processes. I think I have a year from when her paperwork gets cleared to find a job and relocate (which should be plenty of time since I have substantial work experience and citizenship), but having a defined job and salary would let us get a head start on our new household budget and would give us a better idea of where we can afford to live (my wife's work is fully remote, so I can be pretty flexible in my search).

Nothing I'm losing sleep over; I'm just legitimately curious about how feasible it would be (especially since my dad doing an internal transfer is how we ended up in the States in the first place).

edit: More broadly I'm also a chronic job applier and I'm in my longest stretch of not applying for new jobs and I'm feeling the urge to start looking again because I also really enjoy the endless possibilities of searching while holding down a stable job, so I'm really just trying to gauge if it's worth applying to anything right now.

Since my current job is good and I'm anticipating moving in two years, applying for anything I can't relocate with seems like a waste instead of staying in a good job and having a longer tenure in my most recent job, which I would think would make me a more attractive candidate. OTOH if I can just get my next job now then I'm less worried about how my resume looks in two years.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 29, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So here is what I'd do:

A) Mostly plan on staying in current job until a few months before the move then start applying at Canada places (you can always see if current job loves you enough to work out a remote thing but they probably won't). You'd figure to to possibly either take a job with a start date a month+ out (which isn't always a deal breaker) or they might even be willing to start paying you Canuck Bucks while you work remote. This process becomes way easier if you have a Canadian address (friend or family member) you could "live" at for a short while.

B) While doing A, start looking for the multi-national jobs, but be EXPLICIT on the move and transfer. This is a uphill battle, but it's better to stay at your current role and get some stability on your resume than jump a job and just get let go anyway when they say they won't transfer you. I'd expect your most likely position would be one where you'd be traveling between US and Canada regularly, so keep in that mind.

C) While doing all this keep your savings healthy. If your move date is firm then I think there's a good chance you or your wife will have a stretch of unemployment (despite your wife's companies statement that a move is "fine"). At some point here I think you're going to have to take a leap of faith on a move like this.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

In my experience, unless you're very senior-level, branches of multinational corporations often have little say over who gets placed in other countries' branches. I doubt Google will be able to promise you that there will be a position for you in Canuck Google a year from now, and that you will be the one to fill it rather than a local person. If there's an empty seat at Google Canada they probably want it filled now, and not in a year.

Cockblocktopus posted:

All things being equal, I'd rather have a job lined up before moving since my timetable will be tied to my wife's immigration processes.

You can do exactly this. Talk to recruiters in your industry in Canada. When the timing is right they'll hopefully be able to get you some interviews. You'll sign a contract to start on X date in Canada and your relocation allowance will be CAD$whatever.

What might be difficult is both you and your wife finding something that starts on the exact same date. In that case, yeah, see step C of the previous post.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

I need some advice on starting as an (assistant?) editor.

I dont want to put too much identifying info here, so heres the short and sweet on my work experience: BA in history, MA in history (I wanted to do academia until i realized I'm not a very good academic), Juris Doctor (same deal as academia, but with law). Practical work experience is office assistant in my uni, and a legal clerk. The assistant gig was years ago and I dont think I did a very good job, but apparently the lawyer I clerked for was quite happy with my work.

Before quarantine, I was in a rut. I figured maybe freelance writing was worth a shot. I like it, but i dont think I can make a living off of it. During quarantine, I decided to volunteer as a proofreader for articles in history and political theory. It turns out I enjoy it quite a bit. I like that its strong on reading and details, but doesnt have the pressures of academia or legal work.

How the heck can I turn this into a paycheck? I have no idea where to start. I understand that theres a strong networking element to this, but I dont even know what would be a good start for someone like me, especially since covid is wrecking everything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So... what do you want to do? Your JD kinda defines you. Do you just want a good paycheck? See my post about corporate contract analyst, regulatory, or compliance. A JD is a good in on those and they are good, though soulless, jobs. Did you pass the bar?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

cool dance moves posted:

I need some advice on starting as an (assistant?) editor.

I dont want to put too much identifying info here, so heres the short and sweet on my work experience: BA in history, MA in history (I wanted to do academia until i realized I'm not a very good academic), Juris Doctor (same deal as academia, but with law). Practical work experience is office assistant in my uni, and a legal clerk. The assistant gig was years ago and I dont think I did a very good job, but apparently the lawyer I clerked for was quite happy with my work.

Before quarantine, I was in a rut. I figured maybe freelance writing was worth a shot. I like it, but i dont think I can make a living off of it. During quarantine, I decided to volunteer as a proofreader for articles in history and political theory. It turns out I enjoy it quite a bit. I like that its strong on reading and details, but doesnt have the pressures of academia or legal work.

How the heck can I turn this into a paycheck? I have no idea where to start. I understand that theres a strong networking element to this, but I dont even know what would be a good start for someone like me, especially since covid is wrecking everything.

Apply for jobs in editorial! You may need to start as a lowly editorial assistant (pay is very bad), but I love editing. You can specialize in editing for legal, technical, contracting, government, educational, etc. PM me if you want to chat further. I've worked as a professional editor for a little more than 7 years now.

This may be helpful; it covers common types and roles in the editing world:

https://thewritelife.com/how-to-become-an-editor/

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 30, 2020

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Betazoid posted:

Apply for jobs in editorial! You may need to start as a lowly editorial assistant (pay is very bad), but I love editing. You can specialize in editing for legal, technical, contracting, government, educational, etc. PM me if you want to chat further. I've worked as a professional editor for a little more than 7 years now.

I was never able to find a drat thing in this field, maybe technical writers but never could get a call back.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I was never able to find a drat thing in this field, maybe technical writers but never could get a call back.

You can PM me, too! It's really hard to break into, but I'm super happy to share what I know and can review your resume and that of cool dance moves.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Lockback posted:

So... what do you want to do? Your JD kinda defines you. Do you just want a good paycheck? See my post about corporate contract analyst, regulatory, or compliance. A JD is a good in on those and they are good, though soulless, jobs. Did you pass the bar?

The paycheck doesn't bother me as long as it's enough to pay rent and get three meals a day. I didn't pass the bar, nor do I plan to. I want a job that helps me be part of a community--something that helps me feel useful--but being an attorney is not the right kind of pressure for me. How can I vindicate someone else's rights when I can't even get my own poo poo together? Other people can pull that off. I don't think I can.

Betazoid posted:

This may be helpful; it covers common types and roles in the editing world:

https://thewritelife.com/how-to-become-an-editor/

Betazoid posted:

You can PM me, too! It's really hard to break into, but I'm super happy to share what I know and can review your resume and that of cool dance moves.

I think I'm ok with starting off as a lowly editorial assistant and working my way up, even with the awful pay. Thanks for that link! I think it'll be very helpful.

Also, thank you for offering to help guide me! I don't have PMs, but my email address is in my profile. Drop me a line when you get the chance, and we can take it from there! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ve posted in my field thread, but interested in wider feedback.

I’m in my mid thirties, with 13 years experience in the oil industry. The city I live in supports that industry, and oil in my country is on the decline. I’ve got kids, who are pretty young but there won’t be career opportunities for them in 15 years when they need them. There are no main cities nearby, the nearest bigger city is 3 hours away. So there’s no draw for them to remain, and I’m not sure I’d want them to.

I’ve probably got between 5-7 years before my work starts to look sketchy. I don’t want to work abroad, and commute as I’ve got concerns about my city. I don’t really have much transferable skills, as my experience is in the operations of oil rigs.

How do I start planning for my future? How should I make the most of the next 5 years, and where do I start? I have NFI where to begin, and the desire to stick my head in the sand is so great, but I can’t.