Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Problems are definitely exacerbated on console where gearing is so much harder it's laughable plus tons of latency issues / no good way to rapidly chug all your flasks.

I wonder if the controllers with the bottom paddles can be mapped for flasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hamelekim posted:

One streamer make something like 10 mirrors in the first week.

Sorry, it was 7 mirrors in a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAge2cvbYAo

This video is just 12 minutes of explaining the absolute most basic mechanics of harvest.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that's some cool clickbait, literally just "hey I have a ton of money, here's the trading discord, glhf"

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
He also has a longer video, which goes into his starting mapping strategy, and things like that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzfKh-WT4OI

Long story short, he poopsocked for a few days and traded a lot

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Dance Officer posted:

He also has a longer video, which goes into his starting mapping strategy, and things like that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzfKh-WT4OI

Long story short, he poopsocked for a few days and traded a lot

Yeah, all the big money streamer crafters just buy seeds or crafts in bulk and craft their stuff that way. But they had to grind to get currency to start doing that to begin with. Takes knowledge of crafting to block what you don't want and so on. I know very little about doing that sadly.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Doing stuff like selling Harvest crafts in the very first week was also different enough due to the drop rates. So you need to have the knowledge of affix crafting before the league, have the ability to race to the endgame extremely quickly, deal with the seed drop rates, build your farm, make a ton of currency quickly, AND sell your crafts to take advantage of the profit margins. That's an extremely tall order.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

So I'm trying to figure out just where I went wrong with this Essence Drain-Contagion Trickster. It's both fragile and undergunned as soon as hit the Atlas. Well scratch that, I know mostly where I went wrong (not enough %Life, not enough Evasion, not enough Energy Shield), it's more about what I would do to save it. I started out with the desire to try out EDC, looked what the popular EDC builds were on poe.ninja, seems like Trickster is the way to go. I usually start my builds with the gear for that archetype, so that meant trying to make it work with Evasion/Essence Shield.

Assuming I don't go with Mind Over Matter/Eldritch Battery, is it possible to make a vanilla Evasion/ES build work? I took Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics but didn't see any other keystones that would seem to be huge boosts to survivability. I know enough build theory to say that the first thing I should do if I'm made of wet paper is move points from offense to defense...but my offense also feels like crap so that would seem less useful. Clearly I've put points into too many different modifiers - any advice on to make better use of my passives?

I'm also well aware that basically every gear slot is inadequate - trying to replace it all seems overwhelming when I've got 3c to my name. I've never hit a wall this early in the Atlas before - is it just a matter of grinding out currency and/or trying to learn the crafting system to the point where I can make gear with all the modifiers I need?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

kaynorr posted:

I'm also well aware that basically every gear slot is inadequate - trying to replace it all seems overwhelming when I've got 3c to my name. I've never hit a wall this early in the Atlas before - is it just a matter of grinding out currency and/or trying to learn the crafting system to the point where I can make gear with all the modifiers I need?

Pretty much. A shortcut you can take this league is to farm quarry for seeds over and over and over again, allowing you to craft rare gear that's much better than what's generally available. That's not a super fun or engaging playstyle, but it's an option.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Especially on a caster, another thing you can do to help with a late-league poverty start is go grind the aqueducts until you find enough humility cards for a tabula rasa. You can almost certainly buy a few with whatever pocket change you have lying around to round it out. The explicit defense is going to be even worse than you have right now, but if you're able to start off-screening stuff via higher ED damage your actual survivability will go up.

Won't hurt to gain some more levels too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

kaynorr posted:

So I'm trying to figure out just where I went wrong with this Essence Drain-Contagion Trickster. It's both fragile and undergunned as soon as hit the Atlas. Well scratch that, I know mostly where I went wrong (not enough %Life, not enough Evasion, not enough Energy Shield), it's more about what I would do to save it. I started out with the desire to try out EDC, looked what the popular EDC builds were on poe.ninja, seems like Trickster is the way to go. I usually start my builds with the gear for that archetype, so that meant trying to make it work with Evasion/Essence Shield.

Assuming I don't go with Mind Over Matter/Eldritch Battery, is it possible to make a vanilla Evasion/ES build work? I took Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics but didn't see any other keystones that would seem to be huge boosts to survivability. I know enough build theory to say that the first thing I should do if I'm made of wet paper is move points from offense to defense...but my offense also feels like crap so that would seem less useful. Clearly I've put points into too many different modifiers - any advice on to make better use of my passives?

First thing that jumps out is how around the shadow starting area you have multiple paths connecting to the same place creating "loops". That's very inefficient and pointless and you almost never want to do that. I'm actually not sure if you linked the right POB because it seems like you're missing some very obvious nodes (like phase acro?)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Try this tree. Gets rid of a bunch of the redundancy and wasted nodes to get you 300 more life without affecting DPS. I think you're misinterpreting the Spreading Rot mods: it just requires INT to be in the radius, not actually allocated (used to work that way, but GGG changed it back in Legacy league which was 3 years ago :corsair:).

Getting Prolonged Pain will be a huge damage increase. Getting a wand with +Chaos DoT will also help immensely.

I would go the EB/MoM route, hybrid defenses are generally a bad idea.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 3, 2020

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

whypick1 posted:

I would go the EB/MoM route, hybrid defenses are generally a bad idea.

Why is this? I get that I've got two layers of all-or-nothing (Acrobatics, Evasion), meaning that I still have to be able to tank a full hit with my Energy Shield, but with enough Evasion (is there a cap?) I should have adequate time to regenerate ES before the next hit makes it through. Similar thinking for ES/Armor or Evasion/Armor - you're taking all the hits but mitigating them down so regen should have time to work.

I tried looking for some guides on the wiki to build theory at this level, but didn't come up with much.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I might have to walk back that statement. I looked at poe.ninja for SSF HC Trickster builds and EB/MOM was taken far less than I thought it would be and less than Acro/Phase Acro. The reason I looked at SSF HC is to only look at builds that were able to farm their own equipment and are actually viable (in that they haven't died yet).

If you do stick with Acro/Phase Acro, look at grabbing a Mistwall. You get the benefit of Dodge and should have max attack block chance a decent amount of the time too (Acro only drops your chance to block, not your maximum chance to block, so Mistwall will put you up at 75%). It's also a very cheap item, although that you means might have problems getting someone to take the time to actually make the trade.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

kaynorr posted:

Combining ES with acrobatics is a bad idea, because having acro cuts any ES you have by 30%. Discipline also doesn't do anything for you.

I made a PoB that takes your build and fiddles with some things: https://pastebin.com/JHSHLG9A

It features:
-reworked passive tree that mostly removes redundant nodes and puts the points into life. 140% life instead of 90%.
-added a few items. Allelopathy gloves and Cane of Unraveling staff are cheap and will boost your damage by quite a bit.
-reworked some gem setups. Removed discipline, added flesh and stone.

Obviously, with the added items, you'll need to redo the rest of your equipment to hit res caps, but you should be a lot more survivable and deal a lot more damage.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I didn't get to play at all during the week last week so I was just sitting at lvl 99/0% wondering if I wanted to push for lvl 100 and 40/40.

Then I played yesterday and got to 20% so I guess I'm gonna actually go for it. The scarab challenge really pisses me off though, since it's such a stupid pointless money sink. Also going to have to try to do a ghosted Delirium boss, which I more or less refuse to talk to pubbies for, so will have to see what I can do to make that happen on my own...

Looks like my endgame grinds will be Harvest Bosses (trivial and done), Delve (trivial and done), lvl 100 (pretty easy), and Sirus (god help me I refuse to talk to pubbies for this too and I'm only like 50% there).

E: To be clear I refuse to do anything that requires party play with anyone in general which means it's not economical to do pure breachstones, and I will be getting 100 purely through grinding red maps.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 3, 2020

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Acrobatics on trickster just seems like a bad idea to me? You're directly nerfing the things that make trickster a strong defensive ascendancy: The regen from ghost shrouds, and the ES/Evasion double dipping from Escape Artist.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There's a reason 50% of Tricksters take Acro, and 79% of Tricksters that are not CI or LL take it. Yes you lose 30% of your ES, but you have a life pool also and 40% dodge and 30% spell dodge mean you're taking FAR less damage overall. It's very easy to dodge cap as a life based Trickster, and going from 35% dodge to 75% dodge means you're taking 2.6 times fewer hits on average, that's a big deal.

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?class=Trickster&item=!Shavronnes-Wrappings&keystone=!Chaos-Inoculation

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Cinara posted:

There's a reason 50% of Tricksters take Acro, and 79% of Tricksters that are not CI or LL take it.

Point taken, but it's probably worth noting that for SSFHC those % are 16 and 22 respectively. I generally pay more attention to those builds on poe.ninja, when the penalties for dying in softcore trade are basically nonexistent.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
And if the person in reference played SSFHC then that would be a thing to take into consideration. SC and HC play different builds, and for good reasons, and SSF especially because it's not just the lack of trade but the lack of access to any build enabling uniques. Plenty of people hit 100 on SC which means they did not die very often, there's no reason to limit your search to such an incredibly tiny portion of the playerbase.

Also if you look, everyone on SSFHC is Glancing Blows which is a very different setup and would require a ton of gear changes to implement. If you take that out it goes to about a 50/50 split on Acro/Phase Acro.

Glancing Blows with ES on block IS the better/stronger setup, but it's not trivial to implement.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

And it's 44% for HC characters. I don't see why you would think that SSF data is comparable to trade league.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How do Mistwall and Wind Dancer/Kintsugi interact? Do they have really good synergy or the opposite? I figure since blocking counts as being hit, it means that you should always have a really high total avoidance chance, and 36% less damage on the rare hit that goes through, but I could be way off.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Futaba Anzu posted:

there was some talk on 5555 about how penance was slow and holy conquest felt weird which i found weird. sure bossing still sucks but is the general consensus that its mapping is also slow as well? here's a real lovely video on a sort of juiced t16 where i was sort of just going normal speed clearing; the clear speed per pack seems near instant which i don't see can really get much faster for a cast build?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmaL8ffg47Y

Higher clear speed mostly comes from not having to cast less spells to clear whole screens and moving faster. There's nothing wrong with your speed, but it's not particularly fast either.

Here's a Fire BV video that most people would probably consider fast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I19Qgd62Xzg

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
They have bad synergy, since blocking counts as being hit it will trigger both of them.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Eezee posted:

Higher clear speed mostly comes from not having to cast less spells to clear whole screens and moving faster. There's nothing wrong with your speed, but it's not particularly fast either.

Here's a Fire BV video that most people would probably consider fast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I19Qgd62Xzg

i've always wanted to do a blade vortex build, is it remotely possible to do one as a league starter that could transition easily into an end league build or are these more meant for mid league building?
i guess it'd also mean I'd be highly incentivized to try to get a headhunter too, which is also a thing I've always wanted to play with. Or is it usually the other way around, does getting a lucky headhunter lead to being able to run builds like this?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
That depends on your ability to earn currency, to get truly good clearspeed out of Fire BV you're going to need some expensive gear, same with good single target. Some people are confidant in their ability to earn currency and so are able to league start builds like this. Others might start a build that relies less on gear and reroll after the first week or so.

If "getting a lucky headhunter" is something that would let you play the build, don't consider the build.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Poison BV is more viable as a league starter and might be worth a look if BV is the draw.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

pork never goes bad posted:

Poison BV is more viable as a league starter and might be worth a look if BV is the draw.
and just run around with an obliteration wand for clear, then weapon swap to another one for single target. the only downside is you can't leech with poison BV, so possibly building around Eternal Youth with some investment in recharge start is a good idea

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Anyone interested in helping out with my boonan build? I started with a Mathil cyclone berserker build, but it's stalled out. I'm getting 1shot by things left and right and haven't been able to get past level 88 in 2 weeks. I tried tweaking the tree for life and buying better equipment, but he still feels super-fragile.

https://pastebin.com/Ekg7CF1T

e: my flasks are a little hosed up right now-- I poached a few for a new character

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 3, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I don't think you should be using the impaler on a cyclone build. It hits fast enough that the cooldown on impales hurts your dps overall, I'd guess.

e: yah attack rate of 8.8 vs. a node that maxes your impales at 1.25... pretty bad

Also is your gear list for real in that pob link? Two empty flask slots, 15/54/44 resists...

Get a 6 link body armor and find a better weapon asap, respec aspect of carnage to flawless savagery if you are going for crits, allocate soul of steel, max resists. Should be pretty cheap to find better gear imo, your stuff has a lot of room to grow

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ok last time I played these Timeless Jewels weren't a thing but the guide I'm using for a summoner wants one slotted to give me strength bonuses. But uh, how do I tell what these things do? They all have a bunch of weird names and numbers but no description of their effects. Is it random? Am I supposed to just spend an assload of currency buying them until I find one that works for me or what?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

You have to look up what the names and numbers do, but there is a method to the madness

Timeless jewels are like pure distilled path of exile

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was jogging this morning and thinking why I like this game : one reason :: you can make mistakes. Tons of mistakes. Like totally and completely gently caress things up. All the time

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

euphronius posted:

Like totally and completely gently caress things up. All the time

it's just like life if u think about it

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ok last time I played these Timeless Jewels weren't a thing but the guide I'm using for a summoner wants one slotted to give me strength bonuses. But uh, how do I tell what these things do? They all have a bunch of weird names and numbers but no description of their effects. Is it random? Am I supposed to just spend an assload of currency buying them until I find one that works for me or what?

There's 5 different Timeless Jewels that will modify passives in some way:

Elegant Hubris - Completely replace with random mods
Lethal Pride - adds +2 or +4 STR to existing mods (this would be the one you're asking about)
Militant Faith - Completely replace. Minor mods get +5 or +10 Devotion, notables get +10 or some effect which requires having some amount of Devotion allocated
Glorious Vanity - Completely replace with random mods
Brutal Restraint - adds +2 or +4 DEX to existing mods

Within each of those 5 types there's a pool of 3 names. The name determines what Keystones get transformed into. Then there's the seed number, which determines exactly how the jewel will transform every mod in the passive tree.

So, for example, if you get a Lethal Pride that says "Commanded leadership over 12000 warriors under Akoya" and stick it over by Elemental Equilibrium/Mind over Matter, the both keystones get transformed into Chainbreaker (no, they don't stack) and the passives in the radius get some amount of STR added to them. Get another jewel that says "Commanded leadership over 12000 warriors under Kaom" and the STR change will be the same, but now those keystones will be Strength of Blood.

And as an example of how random the effects can be, here's what a Glorious Vanity jewel I had on a character last league socketed by EE did, with the passives allocated being from Witch start through the INT nodes straight to the jewel socket, with MoM and Arcanist's Dominion:

8% increased Evasion rating
8% increased projectile speed
8% increased fire damage
11% increased attack damage
Minions have 15% increased maximum life
Minions deal 34% increased damage
+9% to fire resistance
6% chance to ignite
4% increased attack speed
+4% maximum energy shield
1% chance to dodge spell hits
+9% to chaos resistance
+12% to lightning resistance
10% increased lightning damage

All I cared about was getting Divine Flesh; the minion mods and chaos resist was just a cherry on top for my build.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 3, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you *just* want the +STR, maybe a Str% node, it's not bad. Few divines and you'll probably get it.

The expensive part comes with getting a specific keystone + good notable bonuses.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cinara posted:

They have bad synergy, since blocking counts as being hit it will trigger both of them.

But when Wind Dancer triggers you get more evasion. I thought it would basically work out to alternating between high block chance and high evade chance.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
OK, I *finally* made a build video. If anyone wants to see what I'm playing this league, check it out. I'm really enjoying my build. It's pretty cheap to build and powerful. Also, I haven't done something like this for years, and I'd appreciate feedback -- critical or otherwise.

I also want to thank all of the goons that have helped me in PoE for like as long as I remember. You guys make the game still fun to play. I hope you all enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdrAKa3FHlk

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

But when Wind Dancer triggers you get more evasion. I thought it would basically work out to alternating between high block chance and high evade chance.

Sure but most of the reason you want Wind Dancer is not the high evasion, it's the less damage taken if you have not been hit recently. Not that there's no point in having both, but the overall effect is lessened. If it's not many points it's likely still worth taking, but I'd never wear Kintsugi at that point.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dahbadu posted:

OK, I *finally* made a build video. If anyone wants to see what I'm playing this league, check it out. I'm really enjoying my build. It's pretty cheap to build and powerful. Also, I haven't done something like this for years, and I'd appreciate feedback -- critical or otherwise.

I also want to thank all of the goons that have helped me in PoE for like as long as I remember. You guys make the game still fun to play. I hope you all enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdrAKa3FHlk

Oh god don't doxx us with the guild chat open in the videos lol

That's a sweet Slam Jam though

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So my HC SSF character somehow managed to get all the Uber lab trials (maybe saw about a dozen trials total) and complete Uber lab at level 77...

...I now fully expect to die before I hit 78.