Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Yeah, From the time in ARC Complex to the final mission, there's like 6 left that are spread across the rest of the campaign, and ARC is the middle of the game

I too cursed the Marauders, but then i got better and paid just enough attention to lead the marauder into your attacks, and deal with the rest of the larger demons. If you pay too much attention to the Marauder when he shows up, the other demons will absolutely kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, there's not a lot of them, they're usually self-contained (you don't get them in the middle of a big fight, I think I've seen them with other non-chainsaw fodder enemies like twice), and if the planets align and you get lucky with their attacks you can super shotgun them to oblivion with relative ease.

Or (most likely) they could just never use their axe, shotgun you in the dick then air juggle you with the projectile while their dog munches on your throat.

Oh, the Arch-viles can also go gently caress themselves. Hide-and-seek playing, enemy-summoning little shits. :argh:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Yes I'd say that the archviles are, well, vile.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I picked up Fae Tactics to give it a try, but holy poo poo why does playing this game feel like wading through molasses? I feel like some setting is off because even at 2x battle speed having to watch your little penguin starter Pokémon loving hop from square to square and watching its bullet slowly arc through the air is some terrible QOL. Like goddamn it ruins the pace of battle and I can't imagine what happens during maps with more than like 4 dudes.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you to the goons who mentioned Chronicon the other day. This really scratches the Diablo itch. The skills have been interesting so far (only level 17) and you can respec at will, so I've tried out a few builds based on unique items I've found. I see they also copied the gem/sets/gambling system wholesale from Diablo 3, which I appreciate. Unique items seem to drop fairly often. I hope that trend continues with the legendary and true legendary items when I am at the correct level and difficulty.

Wolcen didn't interest me at all, so this is a hell of a deal at $10.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Chronicon rocks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah, From the time in ARC Complex to the final mission, there's like 6 left that are spread across the rest of the campaign, and ARC is the middle of the game

I too cursed the Marauders, but then i got better and paid just enough attention to lead the marauder into your attacks, and deal with the rest of the larger demons. If you pay too much attention to the Marauder when he shows up, the other demons will absolutely kill you.
I could have sworn the end of the ARC was closer to 2/3rd or so through the game, but yeah there's not many

I still never had much luck using ONE WEIRD LIFEHACK TACTIC TO ALWAYS BEAT THEM, so what I did was just constantly poo poo out every single grenade, flamethrower, shotgun, and magdumping rockets behind him while then using charged ballistas to hover a bit over his head and shooting them behind so when the ballistas detonate they tended to hit him. It wasn't fun and more messy than anything else, but trying to just chuck explosives (in particular charged ballista was key) behind his hitbox and hope he stays still enough by jumping above his head was the only thing that worked for me.

It might have been less of a problem if BFG could bust his shield--BFG ammo felt super loving rare as it was and it felt just completely awful to think you've created an opening by stunning him/baiting him out of his shield and then you bust out the BFG asap and he pulls up his shield just before it hits him and completely nullifies it. oh yeah also the crucible sword you get is also completely wasted which seems really loving stupid too. why neither of those things could do anything is a mystery to me

definitely a really lovely enemy that would have been OK as a one-time mini-boss but honestly there aren't too many that the game becomes unplayable or anything.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 3, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Iverron posted:

Chronicon rocks

Quoting this because it does!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you can kill them with the BFG once you've already stunned them with the super shotgun, but you need to swap to it instantly after stunning them or they'll magically block it. downside of this is you never get to actually use the BFG for anything else but turning off that shitass enemy was worth it to me.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I still need to watch the rest of Doom Eternal from where I stopped playing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My hot Doom Eternal take is that I see too much complaining about the Marauders, and too little complaining about the platforming. If I could have fought three Marauders at the same time instead of having to do that particularly heinous jumping puzzle in the Super-Dimensional Fortress or whatever its name was, I would have happily done it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you can kill them with the BFG once you've already stunned them with the super shotgun, but you need to swap to it instantly after stunning them or they'll magically block it. downside of this is you never get to actually use the BFG for anything else but turning off that shitass enemy was worth it to me.

i tried that several times but they never stayed stunned long enough by the time i could swap to BFG and shoot it before they just whip it up instantly and block it milliseconds before getting hit. at least not on ultra-violence i dont know if difficulty changes their behavior.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Fell Seal was absolutely awful, because i'm a stupid moron and the AI was too optimized for me to ever feel like i was actually winning by anything but luck. also the map design was sorta bad.

if i'm a marshmallow baby, will Fae Tactics be more up my alley? from the previous posts it seems like i should wait for a QoL patch that may or may not ever come, but how is it as a more chill SRPG?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Million Ghosts posted:

Fell Seal was absolutely awful, because i'm a stupid moron and the AI was too optimized for me to ever feel like i was actually winning by anything but luck. also the map design was sorta bad.

if i'm a marshmallow baby, will Fae Tactics be more up my alley? from the previous posts it seems like i should wait for a QoL patch that may or may not ever come, but how is it as a more chill SRPG?

You do know you can finetune difficulty to silly levels in Fell Seal, right?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Million Ghosts posted:

I haven't seen it yet but a semi consistent complaint I've run across when researching before buying is Fae has some large difficulty spikes and the way some bosses are set up is really difficult.

I'd wait a touch and see as people report back. The first boss wasn't too bad but I definitely spent an hour plus on multiple tries. Most were my fault, a few were bullshit due to a leader getting one shot and then hit before I had a chance to pick it back up. But if that trend continues it's not necessarily an easy game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It's time to teach your kids some advanced math.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
"Mild sexual references" ?

Orv
May 4, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

"Mild sexual references" ?

Nice.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Bored and off work this week, loaded up Witcher 3 thinking I should really give that dlc a go, suddenly remembered that I stopped playing because there is a giant toad prince boss I was stuck on

I always thought people were harsh on the Witchers combat system but this this is just horribly clunky and not fun, it also seems to run and look worse than it did when I last played it. Regardless, very easy game to switch off.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

It's time to teach your kids some advanced math.

Very much recommend the Iconic Cap DLC.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Doom 2016 is my favorite single player shooter, but I actively disliked Eternal. The Mauraders were annoying, and it was disappointing just how many mechanics they threw into the game to the point where there's just too many systems to manage in hectic fights but the game's worst sin to me is it feels as if they lost the thread in the story stuff between the games.

2016 sets the tone with Doomguy tossing the first computer spitting exposition at him and Eternal has all these self-serious cutscenes that has Doomguy doing poo poo like kneeling before spooky kings and you have to spend time consuming lore about all these Proper Noun entities in order to know what the gently caress is happening and no thanks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

2016 sets the tone with Doomguy tossing the first computer spitting exposition at him and Eternal has all these self-serious cutscenes that has Doomguy doing poo poo like kneeling before spooky kings and you have to spend time consuming lore about all these Proper Noun entities in order to know what the gently caress is happening and no thanks.
100% :agreed: . IMO people really sleep on just how funny, in a gallows humor fashion, DOOM 2016 was. it really is a masterpiece that stands with DOOM 1993 as a perfect game.

And it seems insane to say about a protagonist whose defining characteristic is that he has no defined characteristics, but 2016 *gets* Doomguy in a way that Eternal seems to have forgotten.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shrecknet posted:

100% :agreed: . IMO people really sleep on just how funny, in a gallows humor fashion, DOOM 2016 was. it really is a masterpiece that stands with DOOM 1993 as a perfect game.

And it seems insane to say about a protagonist whose defining characteristic is that he has no defined characteristics, but 2016 *gets* Doomguy in a way that Eternal seems to have forgotten.

They got close-ish with the BFG bit in D:E, at least :shobon:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really like the gross over-complication of the game systems and the complete absurdity of the mere idea of a Doom Expanded Universe. I get pretty much every complaint anyone has on Eternal but I basically grinned all the way through that game and it's one of the only linear things I've ever managed to replay without fizzling out.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Shrecknet posted:

2016 *gets* Doomguy in a way that Eternal seems to have forgotten.

I personally love Eternal for actively linking all of the past games together which I both theorized and argued about in 2016. It validated my canonical theories. :rock:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked reading the datalogs in 2016 because stuff like Double Damage having a canonical explanation for existing was entertaining to me but all the monster and location entries that I looked at in Eternal were not only boring but also like...Horribly written, just terrible structure.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Doom Eternal is like a first person shooter devil may cry, but the story and fluff is a fanfic of itself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Which is a real shame because the UAC propaganda in 2016 was utterly hilarious, especially if you've ever worked in a corporate environment. Eternal... Well, I'm like four levels in but the "lore" so far is boring AF.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

They got close-ish with the BFG bit in D:E, at least :shobon:

This entire level was night and day against the entire rest of the game with how fun the tone was. It was the only level that felt like it hit the same notes as doom 2016 while pretty much every single other level in the game was full of self-serious bullshit. found out after I finished the game that apparently this level was the first demo they showed of doom eternal at E3, and because it also begins with that bit where doomguy takes a plasma gun from a soldier...when you already have one at that point in the game...it implies that the game went through some kind of major direction shift partway through development and only that level stayed the same because I guess they had already shown it off or because they didn’t want to throw away work, idk. either way it was a stark reminder of something eternal lost from 2016.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

The video gaminess ramping up of Eternal was jarring at first but I got in the flow of it and I like it differently than Doom 2016. Not more or less, just differently.

I like the story, sue me.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Doomguy ignoring or being slightly less aggressive to the humans working there is hilarious. He will not rip and tear them, but he will not be gentle while using their access cards.

I would have liked the tone more if it was closer to that during the entire game. The radio broadcasts and that audiolog of the scientist converting to doomguy's cult, sheesh.

Also the holograms and the euphemisms for zombies and demons got old FAST.

I really liked the gameplay though, even the marauders once I got a rythm for them. The game is a joy to play.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

idk what they were trying to do with that Differently Alive poo poo or whatever it was but it rubbed me the wrong way too

Glad the gameplay was fun. Like Zapf Dingbat said, not better than 2016, but just as fun in a different way. Until the Marauders come to interrupt everything :mad:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing Halo Reach and man the default battle rifle feels much weaker than it did in Halo 1

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Playing Halo Reach and man the default battle rifle feels much weaker than it did in Halo 1

Since there's no BR in either 1 or Reach, I assume you mean the assault rifle? It was pretty weak in both games. You're always better off going for a DMR or pistol or something for kills, and use any automatic weapons just to shred shields, unless you're confident in your ability to land five headshots on Elites with the DMR.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Well, here’s another thing...

https://www.timesherald.com/arts_an...0156f6.amp.html

Last week was Splinter Cell, this week is BGE, Prince of Persia next? Probably an rear end Creed anime if I had to guess. Looks like Ubisoft and Netflix are BFF’s going forward.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cartoon Man posted:

Well, here’s another thing...

https://www.timesherald.com/arts_an...0156f6.amp.html

Last week was Splinter Cell, this week is BGE, Prince of Persia next? Probably an rear end Creed anime if I had to guess. Looks like Ubisoft and Netflix are BFF’s going forward.

Prince of Persia already flopped once, an Anno movie trilogy it is.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
EA tried that too, a while ago. There is a Dead Space and a Dantes Inferno animation. I think they stopped after those, though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Baller Time posted:

EA tried that too, a while ago. There is a Dead Space and a Dantes Inferno animation. I think they stopped after those, though.

I wanna see a Titanfall anime, that would be amazing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I could never understand why Halo thought it would be a good idea to make squeaky voiced muppets a regular foe. In comparison Dark Souls has giant walking mushrooms and basilisks with large googly-eye sacs yet they never break the tone, but reinforce the weirdness and uncertainty of Lordran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
That's Bungie. Their tone playbook was always: broadly dramatic storyline, slapstick in the details. I usually like it.