Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Installed Quake 1 via Quakespasm and I’m playing it for the first time. It owns. The graphics still have a charm to them imo.

You downloaded the soundtrack, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Why haven't they fixed that yet, it's so easy for them to add the soundtrack and make it work for the downloadable version of the game.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kamrat posted:

Why haven't they fixed that yet, it's so easy for them to add the soundtrack and make it work for the downloadable version of the game.
i assume rights issues, trent reznor used to be cool with piracy when year zero got released but a quick google says he's a dipshit about it now

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

You downloaded the soundtrack, right?

Of course.:wink:

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Of course.:wink:

Waiting 6 hours for the inevitable gently caress Peterson post when you get to the blue levels and everything is a spawn...

Do this or it doesn't count
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf3viki7hLI

caleb fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 4, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

C.M. Kruger posted:

Just ran across this, Japanese guy making a very "80s cyberpunk anime" FPS. From what I played of the demo it feels okay, a bit on the simple/Wolf side, but the boss for the demo episode turns into a (fairly basic) bullet hell thing and you get a time slow unlock halfway through, so maybe the later episodes will be more evolved.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1378290/The_Citadel/

Weird stuff. Seriously visual monotone except for the anime gore. Kind of buggy/stuttery for a game of its simplicity. I would for sure play a couple episodes of this though.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Installed Quake 1 via Quakespasm and I’m playing it for the first time. It owns. The graphics still have a charm to them imo.

Depending on your hardware, VkQuake is a Vulkan-native variant of QuakeSpasm with some additional exposed graphics options, and it’s great too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

caleb posted:

Waiting 6 hours for the inevitable gently caress Peterson post when you get to the blue levels and everything is a spawn...

Do this or it doesn't count
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf3viki7hLI

Does it get really bad with spawning enemies later?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not spawning like monsters teleporting in. You’ll see.

:getin:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SeANMcBAY posted:

The worst part is that the Ogres will. not. stop. firing if you’re in line of site, regardless of whether they can hit you. It gets old reeeeal fast

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, Quake 1 Nightmare mostly just makes monsters slam on the fire button if they can see you, regardless of whether or not it makes sense. They just become turrets, which makes combat a lot less dynamic since you're basically fighting static targets you can cheese a lot easier. It also makes a couple of monster attacks a bit faster/more powerful just to mess with your muscle memory. Outside of that, monster and item placement is the same as in Hard.

Copper redesigns Nightmare to basically be the same as Hard but with half the maximum player health (and half the damage taken from drowning, so water sections don't become impossible).

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Everyone should just be playing Copper now instead of id1. It's real good, ya'll.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Total carnage run update: fuckkkkk low flying defense drones

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah those things are bastards. The four-way crossroads room in that level is one of the nastiest bits of the whole game imo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

To me I thinks it's the combo of the red troopers and the enforcers who combined create a wall of fiery death on your position two seconds after you meet them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How playable is Quake with a controller without putting it on babby mode? I know it’s wrong but mouse and keyboard has just always felt awkward to me no matter how hard I try. It must be from barely playing any PC gaming until I was an adult already.:smith:

Does Quakespasm support xinput pads?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

You’ll see.

:getin:

Basically this and everyone STFU with spoilers and mod suggestions because I want to see the suffering in real time.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

I hope you are punching all the switches and killing all the Bobs because I am doing it and it's pretty much your fault

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

caleb posted:

I hope you are punching all the switches and killing all the Bobs because I am doing it and it's pretty much your fault

But I don't like killing BOB's that's mean! :(

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

But I don't like killing BOB's that's mean! :(

Typical Leela media selling you on the importance of human life when you can just solve everything with your cyborg fist in 7 or so punches

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It is actually genuinely satisfying to have a punch that is actually sometimes ok to us

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
Fps thread fists only Beyond Thunderdome needs to happen

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i want a first person shooter where every weapon is some variant of fist attack

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Now you folks reminded me of Blood Punch, the 9nth priority cooldown in Doom Eternal.

that game was blooooaaaaaaated

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

i want a first person shooter where every weapon is some variant of fist attack

Zeno Clash. You are welcome

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

How playable is Quake with a controller without putting it on babby mode? I know it’s wrong but mouse and keyboard has just always felt awkward to me no matter how hard I try. It must be from barely playing any PC gaming until I was an adult already.:smith:

I don’t know about game pad support on source ports but Quake overall is a smaller, more compact experience and originally it had free look disabled by default. It really is an extension of Doom and on normal you’ll be fine, could probably do a hard run it just means more baddies. They did port this thing to SEGA Saturn.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Odd Mutant posted:

Now you folks reminded me of Blood Punch, the 9nth priority cooldown in Doom Eternal.

that game was blooooaaaaaaated

I was always so busy paying attention to the game and not the HUD at the bottom that the blood punch was just some thing that randomly activated on zombies and sometimes a mancubus

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes it do.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

caleb posted:

Zeno Clash. You are welcome

Chronicles of Riddick (at least at first, for a large chunk of the game)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JLaw posted:

Yes it do.

How do I get it work? It's not recognizing my pad.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
I do not understand why you are trying to play the grandfather of all wasd games on a controller but let your freak flag fly I guess

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

SeANMcBAY posted:

How do I get it work? It's not recognizing my pad.

You're not using the old SDL1.2 binary are you? Just using the most recent quakespasm.exe?

The value of joy_enable is set to 1?

JLaw fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 4, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lawman 0 posted:

It is actually genuinely satisfying to have a punch that is actually sometimes ok to us

Titanfall 2

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JLaw posted:

You're not using the old SDL1.2 binary are you? Just using the most recent quakespasm.exe?

The value of joy_enable is set to 1?

I'm loading through quakespasm-sdl12.exe rather than quakespasm.exe. Is that the right now? It is set at 1 in config. I'm using a switch pro controller through steam so its recognized as an xinput controller. Usually this works for me but not this. Do I have other options? I downloaded a gamecontrollerdb.txt file that seems to support the switch pro controller but i don't know how to enable it.

EDIT: I figured it out, I was loading through the wrong exe. Thanks!

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 4, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Reminder that Quake was designed to be played entirely with the mouse by hold middle mouse to move. Also Hard is the id endorsed mode.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
Reminder that

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Despite the criticism it receives, some of it justified, I still say Croc is a fun game. :colbert: (...even though I've never cleared World 2.)

chaosapiant posted:

Video: Open the "setup" menu when launching the game, refresh your video rendering device and then select OpenGL. While 3DFX worked and looked a bit better back in the day, with OpenGL we can take advantage of using your video card's profile options to sharpen the game up by adding AA and AF.
Wouldn't using dgVoodoo2 for either the Glide or DX modes (I think it has a DX mode anyway) be better?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My parents bought me Croc 1 instead of Duke Nukem as I had requested and between that and buying me Camelot the Movie the Game instead of Link's Awakening I stopped asking them to buy me games and got good at returning their gifts for me without receipts.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

Reminder that Quake was designed to be played entirely with the mouse by hold middle mouse to move. Also Hard is the id endorsed mode.

I’ll be doing normal for this first run on gamepad. Beat 3 levels in episode 1 and I’m having fun so far. I’ll be playing a bunch tomorrow. It’s god it’s hooks on me. There’s just something about these old FPS games that’s exciting to me, even the ones I’ve never played. I love the fact that they actually have level design.:v:

As a primarily Nintendo gamer, I’m reminded more of something like Zelda dungeons rather than linear corridors like most modern FPS games.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Despite the criticism it receives, some of it justified, I still say Croc is a fun game. :colbert: (...even though I've never cleared World 2.)
I remember watching someone play through the PS1 version. I forget the specifics, but the level design near the end of the game takes a sharp turn straight into a portal to the Dimension Of Utter Bullshit.