Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

WhyteRyce posted:

In Luke's defense Cory Joseph is loving terrible and they have no one who can initiate the offense when Fox and Bogdan are sitting

We are paying $12m a year for a person that is worse than Avery Bradley in all respects

You gotta pay a premium for the Captain of the Canadian National Team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Based on their last three performances, I have confidence that the Grizzlies will go 0-8. They look absolutely listless and can't score or defend. Jaren and Ja (except for tonight) have been the only bright spots.

JV's defense has never been top tier but he's looking lost at times. It's bad.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The spurs are playing crazy lengthball and it's working. Gregg Poppovich's hair looks like my dad's. They both must have elderly barbers who won't work during covid

The sixers seem to be winning every game at the last second, but playing ben simmons at 4 with Milton at 1 seems to be working. The Lakers look tough. Those long range Lonzo to Zion alley oops look great, make up for other bad Lonzo stuff

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 4, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I was thinking this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqbGiwi1rNI

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
So is Michael Porter Jr. for real now?

Also Jokic was dominating Steven Adams in the post in the 4Q and OT, just straight up bodying him and backing him down all the way from 18ft to right under the hoop. It was nuts. Steven Adams is not a weak dude!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Katana_Warrior posted:

I put together a list of the #2 and #3 scoring leaders for the post-ABA franchises sans Miami, because I wanted to see how Bosh stacks up to other guys in some kind of context.

Pelicans
David West, 8 seasons, not retired
Chris Paul, 6 seasons

Grizz
Marc Gasol, 11 seasons
Zach Randolph, 8 seasons

Raptors
Chris Bosh, 7 seasons, not retired
Kyle Lowry, 8 seasons

Mavs
Rolando Blackman, 11 seasons, jersey retired
Mark Aguirre, 8 seasons, not retired

Timberwolves
Andrew Wiggins, 6 seasons
KAT, 5 seasons

Orlando
Nick Anderson, 10 seasons, not retired
Vucevic, 8 seasons

Hornets
Dell Curry, 10 seasons, not retired
Gerald Wallace, 7 seasons, not retired

Out of the active players, the only guaranteed guys I see getting their jerseys retired are Marc+Zach (because Grit and Grind was way more than just basketball) and Kyle, too early to talk about KAT yet. Mark Aguirre is a really good parallel to Bosh here, he put up numbers for a bunch of years in Dallas before he got traded to Detroit and won a couple rings. If Dallas isn't thirsty enough to retire his jersey, Toronto shouldn't feel pressured to retire Bosh's. However, Minnesota should absolutely retire Wiggins' 22.

dell, gerald wallace, nick anderson, aguirre, west, and cp3 should all absolutely have their jerseys retired but i’m from the achool of thought that more jerseys hanging up = better

if we’re going small hof rules, then west, cp3, wallace, and dell should still have their jerseys retired by their respective organizations (and obviously marc and zach but you mentioned them already)

tanglewood1420 posted:

So is Michael Porter Jr. for real now?

Also Jokic was dominating Steven Adams in the post in the 4Q and OT, just straight up bodying him and backing him down all the way from 18ft to right under the hoop. It was nuts. Steven Adams is not a weak dude!

mpj has always had an overwhelming amount of talent, his ligaments just happen to be made of peanut brittle

shame about his brain worms, i was rooting for him

Senator Drinksalot posted:

You gotta pay a premium for the Captain of the Canadian National Team

i have no idea why cory joseph has stuck around as long as he has; even “spurs contributor” has its limits

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Luke_Mellow/status/1290634964615213056

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

somehow I’ve looked past Bogut’s flaws until now. But no, gently caress him. It’s really all been coming out in these times.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Paperback Writer posted:

somehow I’ve looked past Bogut’s flaws until now. But no, gently caress him. It’s really all been coming out in these times.

What happened?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

big boi posted:

What happened?
no event, just him having Twitter.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So Bogut was bogan all along....

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

big boi posted:

What happened?

He is a massive chud.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

bogut’s on twitter claiming that blm protests in victoria helped cause the second wave, claiming no one under 50 who’s had a clean bill of health has died of coronavirus, and just being the same loving chud anyone who’s been paying attention has known him to be since 06

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewGreif/status/1290643179079966721

lol

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
One of his people should let him know that isn't polling well

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

"no one believed in me, but I showed them!" - consensus greatest player of our generation

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

not gonna lie, every lebron quote feels different after the last dance aired :(

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Thank you lebron for showing the impossible is possible

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

"no one believed in me, but I showed them!" - consensus greatest player of our generation

Who plays for the Lakers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There are people who have been born and are now going into THIRD GRADE who haven't seen a Laker championship in their lifetime.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lol
https://twitter.com/EnesKanter/status/1290649036895260676?s=19

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I went back and looked at some pre-season projections and most outlets really had the Lakers as a 4-5th seed lol, my bad King

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

:swoon:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

not gonna lie, every lebron quote feels different after the last dance aired :(

It's just how people talk about sports now for some reason it's very annoying. Every day on Twitter there's someone going like "but I was told LeBron James didn't pass" and then posting a video of a great assist he made, and I do not know who they are trying to fight with

THAT SAID I don't think Lakers as the top seed was really a super popular take preseason? They did have the second best title odds but their over under for wins was 50.5 and they beat that even in a short season. There were people on this forum sincerely arguing that the Pelicans would be better this year after the Davis trade.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 4, 2020

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Going in I thought any one of 5 or 6 teams could have been the 1 seed in the west and that there would be a huge bunch with 4-5 games separating 1 through 6.

Lakers were one of them but in hindsight, it was more like 2 or 3.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I think we all were pretty into the Jazz signing Mike Conley and thought the Nuggets wouldn't start so slow. Plus the Lakers kept signing old, crappy players to fill out their bench.

But I don't think people are surprised the Lakers are in the 1 seed. I lost a bet cause I thought the Clippers had a decent shot of getting it but always thought they would finish in the top 2.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

speaking of i just now started watching the last dance and got to the episode about jordan saying republicans buy sneakers too and it was some of the most pathetic poo poo i have ever seen. just him shrugging at the camera going Im A Competitor then air lifting in barack obama to say its ok

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

MourningView posted:

THAT SAID I don't think Lakers as the top seed was really a super popular take preseason? They did have the second best title odds but their over under for wins was 50.5 and they beat that even in a short season.

here are vegas's finals odds by date, LAC and LAL were pretty much even at the top for most of the preseason and season.

i mean i guess you're right in terms of regular season, but the idea that nobody thought the lakers would be successful is not a great take

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm definitely surprised how far ahead the Lakers are from the rest of the West.

I expected Utah, LAC and Denver to be better, AD and LeBron to miss ~10 games, and I also expected the Lakers mediocre role players and bench to hurt them.

Though according to bball ref, the Lakers are 4 wins above their PW, which sounds about right.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They also went 37-45 last year. Davis is obviously great but it doesn't seem weird that people didn't think + AD - a bench + Vogel = a 26-win improvement

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

morestuff posted:

They also went 37-45 last year. Davis is obviously great but it doesn't seem weird that people didn't think + AD - a bench + Vogel = a 26-win improvement

I think people didn't account for Vogel making it past the all-star break with the Kidd hiring and all that

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

It's just how people talk about sports now for some reason it's very annoying. Every day on Twitter there's someone going like "but I was told LeBron James didn't pass" and then posting a video of a great assist he made, and I do not know who they are trying to fight with

THAT SAID I don't think Lakers as the top seed was really a super popular take preseason? They did have the second best title odds but their over under for wins was 50.5 and they beat that even in a short season. There were people on this forum sincerely arguing that the Pelicans would be better this year after the Davis trade.

The pelicans thing was absurd but i think the lakers overperformed a bit. Davis isn't an iron man and it was unclear if Lebron basically taking a rest season would rejuvenate him or mean going forward he was on an old man rest program. Playing with dominant stars always makes role players look better, but especially Dwight and Javale benefited more than you'd expect.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 4, 2020

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

If Magic City doesn't buy some virtual seats at the next Clippers game and have their girls eat wings for the whole broadcast, then their PR manager should be fired.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1290696895862648834?s=19

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/rmac18/status/1290701989030985729

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/562692266901635072

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cory Joseph starting today come on man

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Cory Joseph starting today come on man

Does he still fall down after every lay up attempt?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Very generous of silver and the nbpa to allow a clown show to room with them in the bubble

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Lakers were underrated, yes. Clippers were and still are overrated. I also probably bought higher on the Jazz than they turned out to be. OKC I figured would be good. Looking how close everyone is, I still think those three (Lakers, Jazz, Thunder) are the three that could go to the finals, early Bubble performance be damned.

It's largely academic, because Milwaukee is gonna win.

Feel free to relentlessly make fun of me if the Clippers win a title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I vastly overrated the Jazz coming into the season