Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to save up and pick up a 3d printer so I can print whatever props I want

hey maybe I can get one cheap when Picard finishes its run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/kVYLRKg.mp4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Someone check the capitalization to see if it spells out "Eat poo poo, Doomcock" or something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This gets to what I meant about wealthy adults fetishizing hope better than I could.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

With the lack of Kelvinverse merch, the story I heard is that JJ Abrams originally had plans to turn the Kelvinverse into a "multi-platform experience" with more movies, spin-off shows, games, and assorted gougables. However, the problem was that the rights for Trek were under two houses after the Viacom split, and Abrams' Kelvinverse stuff was directly competing with the TOS stuff CBS was putting out. It eventually got to the point where Abrams wanted CBS to stop producing TOS merchandise altogether to avoid "brand confusion", but CBS - which was making an average of $20 million a year on Trek merchandise back in the early 2010s - told him to go screw. Plans for the Kelvinverse were scaled back after that, with Abrams having no interest in jumping through various hoops in order to get anything done. Of course, he eventually got tapped for Star Wars, where he could run the whole show by himself, with what results we know.

...great, now all this talk of Trek merchandise reminded me of that crappy third-person shooter with the Gorn that nearly killed Digital Extremes. At least that story had a silver lining; after that game the situation at DE was so bad that they had no choice buy to go all-in on a Hail Mary with Warframe, which even in its cruddy earlier iterations got enough of a player base to save the company.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I heard that 09 shooter was a horrendously buggy piece of poo poo.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

How long did discovery jump ahead in time?

doesn't the doctor go forward in time in Living Witness like 800 years and then slowboat back to the alpha quadrant to see if voyager made it?

lol forever if discovery encounters the doctor

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ramadu posted:

9 centuries.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Ramadu posted:

doesn't the doctor go forward in time in Living Witness like 800 years and then slowboat back to the alpha quadrant to see if voyager made it?

lol forever if discovery encounters the doctor

lol forever if they even know about what living witness episode is about and that it exists

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

AntherUslessPoster posted:

lol forever if they even know about what living witness episode is about and that it exists

look, i want to believe that maybe somebody there gave one iota of fucks about the show.

also because the doctor owns and i want more robert picardo

oh no, imagine if discovery digs up all the emh mark 1 mining slaves lmao

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Ramadu posted:

and they "revolt"
and this is picard season 1 all over again

:D

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

AntherUslessPoster posted:

and they "revolt"
and this is picard season 1 all over again

:D

oh noooooooooooooooooooo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Disco crew have new badges. I wonder if that’s the future iteration of the Federation’s Starfleet emblem.

Someone on FB postulated that these are combadges so Strange New Worlds can use all the flip communicator props.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looks like a starfleet delta in black on top with the negative space filled in underneath.

Turn the 26th century badge back to point up and it actually resembles it a bit.

The_Doctor posted:

Someone on FB postulated that these are combadges so Strange New Worlds can use all the flip communicator props.

I very much doubt that, I'm sure they still have all the tooling.

Hell, they're probably in the same situation that Doctor Who always gets in where they can just pick up some merch. (Every time there's a new one they make a sonic screwdriver prop custom, it's delicate, it breaks, then by the next year the merch companies have rolled off a toy version that's better-looking close up and more solidly built and they just buy a dozen of those instead)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 4, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Looks like a starfleet delta in black on top with the negative space filled in underneath.

Turn the 26th century badge back to point up and it actually resembles it a bit.

I very much doubt that, I'm sure they still have all the tooling.

Hell, they're probably in the same situation that Doctor Who always gets in where they can just pick up some merch. (Every time there's a new one they make a sonic screwdriver prop custom, it's delicate, it breaks, then by the next year the merch companies have rolled off a toy version that's better-looking close up and more solidly built and they just buy a dozen of those instead)

There’s still a real lack of Disco merch that isn’t t-shirts or insignia badges. None of the vaunted actions figures have made an appearance, even as prototypes. McFarlane Toys cancelled the phaser they were going to do, which looked amazing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ramadu posted:

look, i want to believe that maybe somebody there gave one iota of fucks about the show.

also because the doctor owns and i want more robert picardo

I think there has been discussion about The Doctor appearing on Picard. Or that Picardo would like to do it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

The Disco crew have new badges. I wonder if that’s the future iteration of the Federation’s Starfleet emblem.

If her rank is correct, I guess we know who became captain.

It’s not her.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

If her rank is correct, I guess we know who became captain.

It’s not her.

She'd make a better XO anyway at this point
Saru is the real captain material
(please not captain Evil Queen)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So according to the WGA site, we have titles and writers credits for 11/13 episodes for Disco season 3. I’ve listed the titles in no particular order, since they’re alphabetical in the WGA listings. A few are...interesting.

That Hope is You
Forget Me Not
Scavengers
Outside
The Sanctuary
The Citadel
The Good of the People
Die Trying
Terra Firma Part I
Terra Firma Part II
Unification III

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

HD DAD posted:

Unification III

: The Revenge of Gowron!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HD DAD posted:

So according to the WGA site, we have titles and writers credits for 11/13 episodes for Disco season 3. I’ve listed the titles in no particular order, since they’re alphabetical in the WGA listings. A few are...interesting.

That Hope is You
Forget Me Not
Scavengers
Outside
The Sanctuary
The Citadel
The Good of the People
Die Trying
Terra Firma Part I
Terra Firma Part II
Unification III

Wasn't there a Unification III in the fake list of Picard episodes?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HD DAD posted:

That Hope is You
Forget Me Not
Scavengers
Outside
The Sanctuary
The Citadel
The Good of the People
Die Trying
Terra Firma Part I
Terra Firma Part II
Unification III

Could you please post the writers list if you've got it?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lizard Combatant posted:

Could you please post the writers list if you've got it?

Yup!

Die Trying
Teleplay by: Sean Cochran
Story by: James Duff & Sean Cochran

Forget Me Not
Written by: Alan McElroy & Chris Silvestri & Anthony Maranville

Outside
Written by: Michelle Paradise

Scavengers
Written by: Anne Cofell Saunders

Terra Firma, Part 1
Teleplay by: Alan McElroy
Story by: Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt & Alan McElroy

Terra Firma, Part 2
Teleplay by: Kalinda Vazquez

That Hope Is You
Written by: Michelle Paradise & Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman

The Citadel

The Good of the People
Written by: Kenneth Lin

The Sanctuary
Written by: Kenneth Lin & Brandon A. Schultz

Unification III
Written by: Kirsten Beyer

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I went to the rock to hide my face, and the rock cried out, no hiding place

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

: The Revenge of Gowron!

Excuse me, but Unification, Part III would be Sela's Revenge, thank you.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nine-gear crow posted:

Excuse me, but Unification, Part III would be Sela's Revenge, thank you.

I want to see Gowron's force ghost come back and bat'leth fight Robo-Picard!

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't there a Unification III in the fake list of Picard episodes?

The leak is for Discovery and it's all the way back in April.

Same reporter is also the person saying Orville is cancelled.

Here's what was posted, in order.

1. That Hope Is You
Written by: Michelle Paradise & Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman
Directed by: Olatunde Osunsanmi

2. Forget Me Not
Written by: Alan McElroy & Chris Silvestri & Anthony Maranville

3. Scavengers
Directed by: Jonathan Frakes

4. Unification III
Written by: Kirsten Beyer
Directed by: Hanelle Culpepper

5. Terra Firma, Part 1
Teleplay by: Alan McElroy
Directed by: Maja Vrvilo

6. Terra Firma, Part 2
Teleplay by: Kalinda Vazquez
Directed by: Douglas Aarniokoski

7. The Sanctuary
Written by: Kenneth Lin & Brandon A. Schultz
Directed by: Jon Dudkowski

8. Outside
Written by: Michelle Paradise

9. The Citadel
Directed by: Omar Madha

10. The Good of the People
Written by: Kenneth Lin
Directed by: Chloe Domont

11. Die Trying
Teleplay by: Sean Cochran
Story by: James Duff & Sean Cochran
Directed by: Norma Bailey

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

xerxus posted:

The leak is for Discovery and it's all the way back in April.

Same reporter is also the person saying Orville is cancelled.

ChudTrek really loves to get the vapours over The Orville, don't they?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Review for the first couple episodes of Lower Decks. Sounds like it's a fun, funny show that apes TNG as much as possible and leans hard into references and deep-cuts to the point where it might eventually get exhausting. But sounds promising, at the very least.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Now if they announced non-US distribution for it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
That 4chan nonsense is hilariously nonsense. I can say, from personal knowledge, that Strange New Worlds, using basically TOS uniforms and styling, is a wet dream for merchandise licensees. Any licensing problems with the JJ movies would have more to do with being targeted at neither (a) children nor (b) superfans, the two groups that actually buy nearly all tie-in merchandise.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

CBS doesn't give a poo poo about merchandising. I mean, they won't complain if some toy company wants to go nuts, but that's not at all what they're concerned with. CBS wants to makes its streaming platform competitive with Netflix and Disney, and they do that with exclusives that drive subscriptions.

It shows just how idiotic the 4chan funko pop manbabies are that they still think that star trek exists to sell toys.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If anyone is looking to pretend to be a vulcan on virtual graph paper over Skype with their nerd friends, the entire Star Trek RPG line can be had for 15 bucks in the humble bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...hius_bookbundle

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ashpanash posted:

CBS doesn't give a poo poo about merchandising. I mean, they won't complain if some toy company wants to go nuts, but that's not at all what they're concerned with. CBS wants to makes its streaming platform competitive with Netflix and Disney, and they do that with exclusives that drive subscriptions.

It shows just how idiotic the 4chan funko pop manbabies are that they still think that star trek exists to sell toys.

Moreover, Trek merch has been doing gangbusters for decades at this point selling poo poo from the whole spectrum of Trek. I don't think Diamond Select or EagleMoss are goin' out of business any time soon because a few dozen goobers on 4chan and twitter are mad and breaking their toys because their toys betrayed them somehow.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For how many Trek ship nerds are out there, I was really surprised to hear on a Trek YouTube channel just how few models actually have licensed toys. It seems like if you're going to cater to the base, really cater to them. Are 3D printers just killing that segment of the market?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

For how many Trek ship nerds are out there, I was really surprised to hear on a Trek YouTube channel just how few models actually have licensed toys. It seems like if you're going to cater to the base, really cater to them. Are 3D printers just killing that segment of the market?

Eaglemoss sells scale models of basically every ship that's ever appeared in a Star Trek show ever (sans Picard at the moment), including some special edition semi-canonical releases like the Titan, the Aventine, and the Enterprise-F from STO, all for around $25 a pop.

Diamond Select/Art Assylum also sells larger scale models of the hero ships, mainly the various Enterprises and the odd Bird of Prey. Last year they finally got around to making the Enterprise-C, and they usually clock in at $100 per unit.

But Eaglemoss is doing stupid well with it's Trek line to the point where there were going to wrap it up like a year ago and demand for newer ships was so big they started making Disco models and rolled out another design wave for their regular and special stocks, and they routinely sell out of poo poo and have to reprint stuff.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 5, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I can tell you I haven't bought anything because my plan is to eventually get one and print my own poo poo. I doubt if I'm unique in that but I have no idea if that's enough to make a dent in the market yet.

Long term, I figure the collector markets for all kinds of nerd poo poo will whittle down to extremely high end "masterpiece series" poo poo with everybody else sharing digital files and printing what they can on their own.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Is there a specific time tomorrow Lower Decks premiers? I'm willing to stay up til midnight tonight for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope it’s streaming on Crave either at airtime or shortly after. Was hoping to TV-IV it live but eh..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is there a specific time tomorrow Lower Decks premiers? I'm willing to stay up til midnight tonight for it.

I think the All-Access shows generally drop at midnight Pacific?