Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My Lovely Horse posted:

When I was a kid and Burton's Batman came out, I'd never heard of Batman, and this is exactly how I saw the ubiquitious symbol. Just wandering around town all the time wondering what the weird symbol with the oddly spaced round teeth was about.

Back in the day there was a t-shirt design with the Bat-Signal as the Joker's mouth laughing. Couldn't find it in a quick Google search, too many other Jokers and different logo designs since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop, a comic that I have saved on my work computer.

Big 'ol :nws: :nws: :nws: up front for this batch

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

That would make a pretty good "Disaster Lesbian" avatar.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin and Kell (January 1-5, 1996)

Happy new year! :toot:

Hack alarm is going off

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Love to see abusers invade their child's space, move their stuff, and almost certainly read their diary and throw out anything they randomly deem to be inappropriate.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 28, 1940)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 28, 1940)

Venice is traditionally considered to have been founded at noon on March 25th, 421; this is a story passed down through generations, though, the exact details of the founding are lost to time. However the city was born pretty much from the situation depicted here, the people living in the plains were getting real tired of being raided by barbarians every so often, so they moved and settled a group of islands in a lagoon just off the coast. Since the peoples who were doing the raiding were lousy sailors, they usually passed by on to easier and more enticing targets, ignoring the burgeoning city.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

ACE

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe

Rae the Doe's web archives

Stand-Up

Robotics Club

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Destroy History

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 26, 2022

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Every once in a while you get these reminders that even newer comic strips are like 40-50 years behind culture.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

I don't miss corded phones, but I still think that many of them are beautiful artifacts, if that makes sense.
Thinking about it now, the memory of being a kid and on the phone in the kitchen with a long enough cord to wander around the room but still being tethered to that space is oddly pleasant. I know it's just nostalgia, but I'm OK with that.

sweeperbravo posted:

I know it's not outside of the comic's typical repertoire, but can't help but read some of these more recent F Minuses as some low key megaburns.
I definitely think he's making subtle statements about current events and I enjoy it.

F Minus

Not today though. I don't think.

Mark Trail

Andy only likes to kill after he's gained the trust of his victims.

Mary Worth

They really should be asking Madi what she wants to do.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doesn't seem like that feminine handwriting put her at ease.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

Doesn't seem like that feminine handwriting put her at ease.

She's been standing out there for hours.

Phantom is kind of an rear end in a top hat for pulling this poo poo. That's a classic power move tactic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

This seems to be a repeat.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Huxley posted:

I let most of these slide off my brain, but what the heck is this supposed to be?

He likes to make pictures that are devoid of context, like turning on a television and the station it's on is in the middle of a movie or series that you've never seen before and you have zero context as to what's going on.

B Kliban

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

This one is possibly my favourite cartoon in the entire book. There's just something excellent in the minimalistic aburdity.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Huxley posted:

I was always told precut, shrink wrapped produce is for people who can't safely use knives. Like, people with Parkinson's. It's an accessibility thing.

I'd never heard this but Ed not just wasting food by letting it fester on a shelf ALSO loving with people with disabilities is very on brand. Bonus, completely clueless about it! super meta.

Resident Idiot posted:

I wonder what the good people who actually read Dustin willingly made of this one?

:yikes:

Donate blood/plasma... this hits too close to home.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

i love Ansu, thanks for posting it

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Bongo Bill posted:

This seems to be a repeat.

Whoops, sorry! Here's the right one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Comic Strips 2020: Mickey Mouse's erect penis

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/NoobtheLoser/status/1290751270639341568?s=20

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Conan the Barbarian Apr. 28th- May. 4th, 1980

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hwurmp posted:

Comic Strips 2020: Mickey Mouse's erect penis

This mouse's penis is erect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

davidspackage posted:

This mouse's penis is erect.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

:eng101: correction, it's a kotiate, "cut liver", and supposedly it's named that way because it looks like a cut liver, not because it cuts livers.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Whoops, sorry! Here's the right one.

my favourite thing about this was how absolutely stone-faced he is about being a dad until I read the final monologue.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Hayden shares the same attitude about sushi as adults did 30 years ago

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

you broke my grill posted:

Hayden shares the same attitude about sushi as adults did 30 years ago

The "raw fish?!!!! yuck!!!!" bit is such a fossil of a joke. You can get sushi at Kroger. It hasn't been an unusual food in America for decades.

Dustin making me mad is also old news, but oh well

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ok, I've been back from camping for a few days and have finally tidied up my work area and dug out my DtWOF books.

Dykes to Watch Out For #90 (1990)
-Alison Bechdel

MO DON'T YOU DO IT.

Anyway, Mo is referring to yet another litany of ills on the first page. I've already gone over Oliver North-- although initially indicted on 16 felony charges in 1988, and convicted of three in 1989, in July 1990 all charges against him were vacated and by 1991 they were formally dismissed. The little square-jawed tick has gone on to a lucrative career as a conservative activist and talking head.

Richard Nixon's presidential library was dedicated on July 19, 1990 in Yorba Linda, California. Nixon was still alive at the time and while I wouldn't call him popular with progressives today by any means, in the 80s and 90s he was loathed with an intensity that has been somewhat diluted in the past thirty years by two Bushes, Trump, and a more broad consensus on how disastrous Reagan was. Former presidents getting presidential libraries is of course business as usual, I think Mo here is more upset about Nixon as a general cultural figure-- one who was still omnipresent in the national imagination as a complex but largely perverse and nightmarish figure: see Robert Altman's 1984 Secret Honor, or the John Adams/Alice Goodman opera Nixon in China which debuted in 1987. Works like this treated Nixon as a somewhat mythological or archetypal figure-- a sharp contrast to works created during or more shortly after his presidency, like Pablo Neruda's poem Incitación al nixonicidio y albanza de la revolución chilena which is both more strident and more materially concerned with Nixon as a concrete political actor and a metonymy for American policy rather than, as in Altman and Adams, more of a metonymy for problems in the more general American psyche. The typically pious and congratulatory ceremonies surrounding the opening of his library would then understandably, to somebody like Mo, feel delirious and discordant in a way that might not communicate quite so well today.

I'm not going to pretend to be able to explain the Savings & Loans crisis or even that I totally understand it. Suffice to say it was a tremendous white collar scandal in which, from the mid 80s through to the mid 90s, many of the US' S&L institutions collapsed, largely due to predatory and unregulated speculating (I think?). I'm really out of my wheel-house here and I wish Mo would talk about Diane di Prima or something.

I also have to say that I'm used to therapists in pop culture either being cartoonishly inept or supernaturally good at their jobs. Mo's therapist feels believably insightful and a good fit for Mo and her problems. I really like the strips about her.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm not going to pretend to be able to explain the Savings & Loans crisis or even that I totally understand it. Suffice to say it was a tremendous white collar scandal in which, from the mid 80s through to the mid 90s, many of the US' S&L institutions collapsed, largely due to predatory and unregulated speculating (I think?). I'm really out of my wheel-house here and I wish Mo would talk about Diane di Prima or something.

The gist of it is, starting in the late 1970s, Savings & Loans were deregulated so they could make loans without having to have sufficient financial reserves relative to the loan balances. So a S&L could, even with only $20 million in assets or so, could make loans for however as much as they wanted to, say $200 million. The idea was that because inflation had caused interest rates to rise and it was no longer profitable for S&L's to loan money at prime rates, they could make up the losses with subprime financing.

S&L's became the lender of choice for real estate speculators and junk bond financing, because even if the loans defaulted, the US Government had guaranteed the loans, so there was very little risk for the lender (in theory) or the borrower. When the real estate market crapped out in '83 or so, combined with the oil bust and the early 80's recession, S&L's suddenly had a mountain of bad debts they couldn't sell or hope to collect on, and the US Goverment had to step in and cover the losses; othewise the savings of millions of Americans would have been wiped out. I think the final price tag was $100 million and change.

Throw in some good measured kickbacks and bribes to state government officials, toss in some US Senators who may not have done anything technically illegal but still looked guilty as hell (The Keating Five), and you have a financial crisis that was the worst in history at the time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Remind me, all this fuss is because one Arab businessman said he wanted to buy a million juniper beads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

BigDave posted:

they could make up the losses with subprime financing.

S&L's became the lender of choice for real estate speculators and junk bond financing, because even if the loans defaulted, the US Government had guaranteed the loans, so there was very little risk for the lender (in theory) or the borrower. When the real estate market crapped out in '83 or so, combined with the oil bust and the early 80's recession, S&L's suddenly had a mountain of bad debts they couldn't sell or hope to collect on,
This all sounds really familiar for some reason, almost as if people don't learn from these things long-term. :thunk: