Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ortiz being smart and making sure he kept an eye on scu so they don't jump p&p was a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i want Tiny Arn vs Tiny Taz

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Are we just going to gloss over Taz referring to the nut shot as "yam bag city"?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Lemur posted:

Are we just going to gloss over Taz referring to the nut shot as "yam bag city"?

haha, I've never heard "yam bag" outside of the Opie & Anthony universe so now I'm wondering if Taz was a pest...

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

smarxist posted:

haha, I've never heard "yam bag" outside of the Opie & Anthony universe so now I'm wondering if Taz was a pest...

I've only ever heard it from this salty old dude I used to work with that would always say his wife had him by the "yam bag".

Come to think of it, he was from New York. It's a bit different than the dumb Western Pennsylvanian slang I'm used to hearing.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
at least on O&A it was brought in by Jim Norton who is a jersey / new York guy and it was probably a Dice-ism, but yeah, haven't ever heard it from someone who didn't listen to that show, it's almost "do you have stairs in your house"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Darkthoughts

1) Player's Handbook vs FTR. I like The Initiative as a name. FTR are growing on me, but they're still maybe my sixth favourite AEW Tag team. The rules lawyering works, but it is solidly a heel gimmick. Cutler had a few great reversals early on, especially with turnbuckle spots, and his chemistry with Avalon is genuinely great. This is just a good old fashioned meat and potatoes tag match. I liked little things like Dax properly selling a punch from Cutler to the face. I wanted the Initiative to get more offense but this was a great match overall.

2) Michael Nakazawa and Michael Nakazawa vs the New Jersey Connection. A face off with lovely lads. This got super silly super fast. Loved Joey oiling Sonny. Loved the slip and slide spot in the corner. Commentary were losing it during this. Very silly, lots of fun.

3) Abadon vs Skyler Moore. Or "the sacrifice" as I call her. Love the filter for Abadon’s entrance. Not the most technical match, but the character work on both sides is excellent. The neck spot was great. Moore was secondary in the match but looked pretty good..

Shawn Spears Gimmick Attempt #72. I'll be fine with this as long as they... do something with it.

4) Dark Order (Uno and Grayson) vs Sean Dean and Will Hobbs. Two decent teams here, and it feels like I don't see Uno and Grayson enough. Grayson is just amazing to watch, such power. I'm hoping they let him do some singles stuff pretty soon. Love to see him vs Jungle Boy. Great back and forth. If Hobbs can tighten up his style a bit, his power and speed and athleticism will make him a superstar. Not a long match but everyone looked good.

5) Corey Hollis vs Scorpio Sky. Nice old school singles match. Hollis has something, but he needs more time to develop. Scorpio Sky really needs a solid main show singles run. I know they're pumping his numbers with matches on Dark, but he deserves a main stage. Hollis had some pretty good reversal offense before the finish. Decent fun match. Push Sky to the sun.

6) Penelope Ford and her valet vs Kenzie Page. Kenzie Page is from Pigeon Forge. My honeymoon was in Pigeon Forge. Anyway, decent enough squash match. Ford continues to show potential. For a moment I thought Ford had a knee brace, which got me worried about another women's division injury. Page is young, and needs to keep training, but for someone less than a year into her pro career she's doing fine.

7) Aaron Solow vs Wardlow. Wardlow. One of these days they're going to give Wardlow a face singles run and it will be awesome. Solow has Jay White Hair. I really want a crowd for this one. Wardlow's swing back for the lariat is amazing. This was a weirdly paced match and the ending seemed abrupt, but I loved the idea that Wardlow just kicked the poo poo out someone so badly the ref just stopped things.

8) Dark Order (Reynolds and Silver) vs Best Friends. Spooky perverts vs world class weirdos. Love Reynolds and Silver getting early offense. Love Chuckie T working the camera. Great Strong Zero reversal. Even though it's clear who is winning, I love that the Beaver Boys don't look like a joke. It's almost, and work with me on this one, like someone can look strong in defeat. Weird. Trent, you just did a run-up top rope release German suplex. I need you to know that's insane. Great match. Sidebar: the one referee looks a lot like Alex Marvez.

9) Lance Archer vs Some Poor Shlub. Frankie Thomas has a good look and defeat in his eyes. Lance Archer brought a packed lunch with him. Archer is so much fun, I really want them to give him more to do. Was... was that a chokeslam suplex? Holy crap. I know I've enjoyed some good back and forth enhancement matches but sometimes you just want to see someone get their poo poo entirely wrecked.

Christ, there's a lot of this show.

10) Orange Cassidy vs Serpentico. Actual Serpentico rather than Sammy. I still love the streamers. Orange Cassidy's music is still not good. Just pay for "Jane", guys. Fun match. Serpentico is a good hand. I just don't know if he's more than a good hand.

11) Fuego del Sol vs Sammy Guevara. I might find Sammy matches a bit tough for a while still. Fuego is athletic and looks good, it's clear he and Sammy have worked together a lot before. Lots of good kicks and corner spots. The flipping rope spot was just lunatic. A very good match I wish I was in a position to properly appreciate.

Private Party and Big Money Matt.

12) SCU vs P&P vs PP. this is a ridiculous level of talent for this match. Every week I get more hyped for the inevitable Santana and Ortiz face run. This is just fast and crazy from the start. SCU and P&P fight like guys who have been facing off for years. Quen and Kassidy have stepped up so much lately. This whole match is a delight. The Silly String on Ortiz was a work of art. The end of this match absolutely hated necks. Loved it.

Great show overall.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was a super Eddie Guerrero finish to the tag match

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Great episode of Dark. With the storyline-relevant Dark Order and OC matches, plus that staked main event, this almost felt like AEW's 'pitch episode' to present to TNT as a look at what the second TV show would look like. Definitely felt more important for the product than a lot of the jobber Darks.

Zombie Lemur posted:

He used that often when he was a commentator in TNA.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Germansimp posted:

Great episode of Dark. With the storyline-relevant Dark Order and OC matches, plus that staked main event, this almost felt like AEW's 'pitch episode' to present to TNT as a look at what the second TV show would look like. Definitely felt more important for the product than a lot of the jobber Darks.

He used that often when he was a commentator in TNA.

Haha, well that would explain why I didn't hear it.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Great Dark last week and this one coming up looks great too. I'm especially looking forward to Sky vs Hobbs. Sky always makes sure his opponents are put over a little bit, so it'll be cool to see the big man Hobbs have a chance to shine a bit before losing the hard fought battle.

I'd love more matches like SCU vs P&P vs PP, where you THINK you know the outcome, but anything's really possible.

Also, every week that The Initiative loses makes it a little more hilarious, cause their ringwork is easily solid mid-card Dynamite level at this point.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Is Dark at 7 or 8 EST tonight? I've seen conflicting things on Twitter.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Last mention I saw on their Twitter says 7 EST, but given how it's gone in the past, who knows

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1290663784428851200

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Wintermutant posted:

Last mention I saw on their Twitter says 7 EST, but given how it's gone in the past, who knows

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1290663784428851200

Who’s more detail oriented? The social guy or the match graphics guy?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I kinda hate AEW's logo and name

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rear end eater wrestling haha. it's good

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Who’s more detail oriented? The social guy or the match graphics guy?

...I didn't even notice that. In light of new information, I change my answer to a shrug.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Says it premieres in 24 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7NRI6w7pdk

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

that's a lot of greyscale mans. i hope this one doesn't go 9 hours, i've got poo poo to do tomorrow

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Boys and Men lmao. This is already great.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

tony is into the old school hip-hop

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Will Hobbs big.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Add Tony to the dark booth forever

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just like Taz used to do!

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Welp two transformers came down on my road. :rip: me watching tonight. drat, this was a good card too.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

let hobbs win :mad:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hobbs is always in so many short matches

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

biggest jobberest

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Have we seen Hobbs wrestle for more than 5 minutes at a time? He's got a beautiful spinebuster though.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

he's going clint eastwood

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Promo owns

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Good promo for Sky

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sky is great on the mic.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Tony's good, but I kinda miss the shitposty vibe Excalibur and Taz have.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Welp two transformers came down on my road. :rip: me watching tonight. drat, this was a good card too.

Autobots or Decepticons?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

small gun is being allowed in the ring

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Serpentico seems cool, they should hire him.

E: Did Taz and Tony get stoned before starting this?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Austin Gunn looks like he has to think about literally everything before he does it

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

that was a match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao his finisher is a hip toss?