Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well it WAS the 90s, the internet wasn't as much of a thing yet and Springfield's educational system is pretty obviously terrible, wouldn't be surprised if anyone could find out Jebediah's history if they did the research later on, but at that point it's genuinely an obscure thing. Obviously it'd probably go a different route today.

Also, Carter really was history's greatest monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="Ghost Leviathan"
Also, Carter really was history's greatest monster.
[/quote]

Peanut allergies weren’t even a thing until he became President.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

Speaking of The Simpsons, I guess the episode where Lisa discovers that Jebediah Springfield was a murderous pirate but decides he should still be honored with a statue in the town square didn't age too great. Although I guess some would say his attempted murderer of George Washington is a mark in his favor.

The part where she almost gets killed by a police sniper under the mayor's watch aged ok.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

londonarbuckle posted:

The part where she almost gets killed by a police sniper under the mayor's watch aged ok.

Especially because they took the shot AFTER she was clearly no longer a "threat"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm listening to Donovan's Barabajagal for the first time. Two tracks in and it sounds pretty nice.

Unfortunately, I just caught a bit of the lyrics to Superlungs (My Supergirl)

quote:

You find the kind of girl in every town
Wherever there's a scene she's always hanging around
She's so naive and innocent and looks at you with awe
She's only fourteen but she knows how to draw, yeah
Whoa, super lungs
Whoa, super lungs
She never gets involved with blowing her cool
She's too busy getting high with her classmates in school
Teachers all ignore her, they would if they could
But she ain't quite grown up yet but her breathing's real good
Come on now
Whoa, super lungs
I said now that's what she's got, super lungs
I know I need me some super lungs
Whoa, super lungs

Dammit, Donovan.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think that's about smoking weed man

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Who’s weed man and why did he need to get smoked?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm listening to Donovan's Barabajagal for the first time. Two tracks in and it sounds pretty nice.

Unfortunately, I just caught a bit of the lyrics to Superlungs (My Supergirl)

Dammit, Donovan.

Yeah wtf was up with the '70s and the casual pederasty?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Who’s weed man and why did he need to get smoked?

Isn't he a character from that lovely GalatianMan "comic"?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sucrose posted:

https://youtu.be/T9awpv5BnSc

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sucrose posted:

Ain't nothing casual about it. These were professional pedophiles.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sucrose posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paedophile_Information_Exchange

Look under the "government funding" section.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAK5blgfKWM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWqrBaq9xE

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the 70s you were only legally allowed to write a song about one of the following topics:

1. Dancing
2. CB Radio/Trucking
3. Pederasty

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

To be fair the Alabama song is nearly 100 years old. I guess you can say it takes a more sinister tone given the fat drunk Jim Morrison was.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sucrose posted:

So you like a musical artist from the 70’s? Do not look up their opinions on loving children.

It’s difficult to enjoy anything by an 70’s artist who didn’t die young in an airplane. So you’re pretty much limited to Jim Croce and I literally just looked it up and even he had a song about loving underaged women. WTF?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm watching Freaked for the first time, and while I was expecting to be horribly offended by Mr. T's flashback where he becomes a "bearded lady", it's outright stated that she's much happier now and knows she made the right choice. It aged weirdly well in a movie full of stuff that otherwise didn't. :3:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krispy Wafer posted:

So you like a musical artist from the 70’s? Do not look up their opinions on loving children.

It’s difficult to enjoy anything by an 70’s artist who didn’t die young in an airplane. So you’re pretty much limited to Jim Croce and I literally just looked it up and even he had a song about loving underaged women. WTF?

Which one was it? :smith:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
https://youtube.com/watch/shGVuDt_B74

Technically 80s, but still.

[Verse 1]
Teenage baby, you're a sweet young thing
Still tied to Mama's apron strings
I don't even dare to ask your age
It's enough to know you're here backstage

[Chorus]
You're jailbait, and I just can't wait
Jailbait baby come on

[Verse 2]
One taste baby, all I need
My decision made at lightning speed
I don't even want to know your name
It's enough to know you feel the same

[Chorus]
Jailbait, I just can't wait
Jailbait baby get down

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An unfortunate consequence of the 60s being extremely misogynistic was that there wasn’t really any understanding of the difference between sex as an expression of personal autonomy and insanely unhealthy grooming and coercion where a gross libertine was just raping kids because they could get away with it. That whole generation just assumed that any criticism of sex was a holdover from establishment prudery and that a kid loving Donovan could only mean that the kid was empowered and leaving behind hypocritical morality for empowered self-determination. You can see weird vestiges of this attitude in some of the old cults from the era that are still around like the Raelians (I think it’s them—it’s a ufo cult, anyway) that have zero understanding of bodily autonomy and think that anyone who doesn’t want to go to the post-meeting orgy is just a repressed square.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

An unfortunate consequence of the 60s being extremely misogynistic was that there wasn’t really any understanding of the difference between sex as an expression of personal autonomy and insanely unhealthy grooming and coercion where a gross libertine was just raping kids because they could get away with it. That whole generation just assumed that any criticism of sex was a holdover from establishment prudery and that a kid loving Donovan could only mean that the kid was empowered and leaving behind hypocritical morality for empowered self-determination. You can see weird vestiges of this attitude in some of the old cults from the era that are still around like the Raelians (I think it’s them—it’s a ufo cult, anyway) that have zero understanding of bodily autonomy and think that anyone who doesn’t want to go to the post-meeting orgy is just a repressed square.

See: French intellectuals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/world/europe/gabriel-matzneff-pedophilia-france.amp.html

This is a highly recommended read. Long story short, a famed writer blatantly wrote about having sex with kids as young as eleven without being challenged. He wrote about the joy of having sex with multiple kids at the same time. Some highlights: Fled to hotels to live with his 14-year-old "lover" (paid for in part by Yves Saint-Laurent). When detectives showed up, he showed them a letter from the president praising his work and they dismissed the reports as coming from a jealous rival.

In 1990, a French literary program had a discussion of his latest memoir, which included Matzneff writing about having sex with 11 and 12 year-old boys in the Philippines, calling them a "rare spice". The only person who denounced him on the show was also the only person not from France, she was a Quebecois journalist who got attacked for her prudishness by an editor from Le Monde. When the writer of this article interviewed this editor asking about her defence of Matzneff at the time, her response was "I saw him as a man who liked young women. In France, he was never seen with boys".

The same people who ignored or defended his vileness are still influential figures in the French literary world today. He won a major literary award as recently as 2013 when his close friend (who was entrusted with incriminating letters and photos of children when Matzneff feared a police raid) influenced the 9 men and 1 woman on the jury to select him. Matzneff isn't even in legal trouble, but he's whining about how he was cancelled this year because the aforementioned 14-year old, Vanessa Springora, recently wrote a book about her abuse at his hands. It's an infuriating article.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Aug 5, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/world/europe/gabriel-matzneff-pedophilia-france.amp.html

This is a highly recommended read. Long story short, a famed writer blatantly wrote about having sex with kids as young as eleven without being challenged. He wrote about the joy of having sex with multiple kids at the same time. Some highlights: Fled to hotels to live with his 14-year-old "lover" (paid for in part by Yves Saint-Laurent). When detectives showed up, he showed them a letter from the president praising his work and they dismissed the reports as coming from a jealous rival.

In 1990, a French literary program had a discussion of his latest memoir, which included Matzneff writing about having sex with 11 and 12 year-old boys in the Philippines, calling them a "rare spice". The only person who denounced him on the show was also the only person not from France, she was a Quebecois journalist who got attacked for her prudishness by an editor from Le Monde. When the writer of this article interviewed this editor asking about her defence of Matzneff at the time, her response was "I saw him as a man who liked young women. In France, he was never seen with boys".

The same people who ignored or defended his vileness are still influential figures in the French literary world today. Matzneff isn't even in legal trouble, but he's whining about how he was cancelled this year. It's an infuriating article.

quote:

From his hiding place on the Italian Riviera, Mr. Matzneff rejected the accusations of wrongdoing.

“Who are they to judge?” he said. “These associations of the virtuous, how do they sleep, what do they do in bed and who do they sleep with, and their secret, repressed desires?”

Kind of on the nose to just outright say "Well, yeah I gently caress kids, who doesn't? What gives the other pedophiles any right to hold me accountable?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Which one was it? :smith:

Something called “5 short minutes”” where he gets 20 years in jail for 5 minutes of loving. So it’s not glamorizing child rape but still...

I really don’t want to plug in “queen underaged sex” in a search engine because I know I’m probably not going to like what I find.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
And to get in on the fun, Germany's prestigiousOdenwald school was basically a mass hotbed of pedophilia and sexual assault from the 70s on, potentially earlier but the evidence is scant. The left in Europe was all in on pedophilia as being normal in the 70s, and even outside those avant garde circles the world was just really ok with it in general, which still has scars to this day seeing as there was a case in France a couple of years back where the defense was "your honor, she wasn't 12, she was almost 13!"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Don Gato posted:

And to get in on the fun, Germany's prestigiousOdenwald school was basically a mass hotbed of pedophilia and sexual assault from the 70s on, potentially earlier but the evidence is scant. The left in Europe was all in on pedophilia as being normal in the 70s, and even outside those avant garde circles the world was just really ok with it in general, which still has scars to this day seeing as there was a case in France a couple of years back where the defense was "your honor, she wasn't 12, she was almost 13!"

There may be more then one case but I think the one you're thinking of was "Yes, she's 12, but look at what she said and was wearing, this was no pure white dove of a girl we need to remember that regarding these 30 yr old men"

Actually it was worse
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/14/french-girl-11-not-a-child-say-lawyers-for-man-29-accused-of-sexual-abuse

French girl, 11, 'not a child' say lawyers for man, 29, accused of sexual abuse

quote:

Defence lawyers say the man and the girl had met in a park and the girl had voluntarily followed him to an apartment and consented to intercourse. They have also said their client, then 28, thought she was at least 16.

She was 11 years and 10 months old, so nearly 12 years old,” the defence lawyer Marc Goudarzian said Tuesday. “It changes the story. So she is not a child.”

His colleague Sandrine Parise-Heideiger went further, saying: “We are not dealing with a sexual predator on a poor little faultless goose.

She said as soon as children have “sexual expressiveness and you have an attitude of putting yourself in danger” then “it doesn’t necessarily mean the person on the other side is a sexual predator”.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Aug 5, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
France is something special there.

IIRC their current prime minister married his high school teacher.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

There may be more then one case but I think the one you're thinking of was "Yes, she's 12, but look at what she said and was wearing, this was no pure white dove of a girl we need to remember that regarding these 30 yr old men"

Actually it was worse
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/14/french-girl-11-not-a-child-say-lawyers-for-man-29-accused-of-sexual-abuse

French girl, 11, 'not a child' say lawyers for man, 29, accused of sexual abuse

Somehow that was even worse than what I rembered.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I'm a poor little faultless goose

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The same people who ignored or defended his vileness are still influential figures in the French literary world today. He won a major literary award as recently as 2013 when his close friend (who was entrusted with incriminating letters and photos of children when Matzneff feared a police raid) influenced the 9 men and 1 woman on the jury to select him. Matzneff isn't even in legal trouble, but he's whining about how he was cancelled this year because the aforementioned 14-year old, Vanessa Springora, recently wrote a book about her abuse at his hands. It's an infuriating article.

Let's also not forget this infamous petition:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_petition_against_age_of_consent_laws

quote:

A number of French leftist intellectuals - including such prominent names as Louis Aragon, Michel Foucault, Jean-Paul Sartre, Jacques Derrida, Louis Althusser, Roland Barthes, Simone de Beauvoir, Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari, Michel Leiris, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Philippe Sollers, Jacques Rancière, Jean-François Lyotard, Francis Ponge, and various prominent doctors and psychologists - signed the petition.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh no biggie the nearly 30 year old thought she was at least a sophomore. In high school.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Into the Night

Benny Mardones

She's just sixteen years old
Leave her alone, they say
Separated by fools
Who don't know what love is yet
But I want you to know

If I could fly
I'd pick you up
I'd take you into the night
And show you a love
Like you've never seen, ever seen

This was a Top 20 hit. Twice.

There's a video.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

France is something special there.

IIRC their current prime minister married his high school teacher.

President, so more powerful than the pm in the french system.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mister Kingdom posted:

This was a Top 20 hit. Twice.

There's a video.

Man the comment section on youtube for this video contains a lot of gold. Two categories: middle aged people who are absolutely invested in some ludicrous waffle about why the lyrics ‘sound wrong to modern ears’, usually referencing an interview Benny gave featuring an explanation slightly less convincing than ‘a dog ate my homework; and internet people mining every last ounce of mockery out of it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Bands are still doing this kind of thing. Rilo Kiley had a song called 15 released in 2009 that is, well...the first stanza really sets the mood.

"Twenty-five, a season off dope
Three sheets to the wind like a clothesline rope
He's a spider on the web
She was a tiny woman, heap of sins
Her developing body was just the beginning"

The song has always given me the creeps, but a quick cursory glance indicates the song has a fair number of fans and it's not Boomers listening to Rilo Kiley songs.

And the faultless goose case was TWO YEARS AGO? I'm thinking this is something from the 80's or earlier. WTF France.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Iggy Pop - Look Away

quote:

I slept with Sable when she was 13
Her parents were too rich to do anything
She rocked her way around LA
'Til a New Tork Doll carried her away

Look away
Look away

Now he was blond and she was dark
They called him Thunder 'cause he had the spark
The dream he dreamed was straight and pure
But the confusion of life was gonna get him for sure

Look away
Look away

They shared their clothes and their cowboy boots
Left them all over the floor while they dyed their roots
They live the dream and they went non-stop
They did ok 'til the band broke up

Look away
Look away
Look away
Look away

Unfortunately, the needle broke
Their rock and roll love like a bicycle spoke
I found her in a back street with her looks half gone
She was sellin' something that I was on

Look away
Look away

Now Thunder and me did not part friends
What we did once, I wouldn't do again
So he stayed with the pure dream and followed the moon
'Til the drugs in his body made his mind a cartoon

Look away
Look away

So a few years later, Thunder died broke
Sable had a baby back at her folks'
Me, I went straight and serious, too
There wasn't much else that I could do

Look away
Look away

So now that I'm straight, I'm settled, too
I eat and I sleep and I work like you
I got lots of feelings, but I hold them down
That's a way I cope with this lovely town

Look away
Look away
Look away
Look away

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sable_Starr

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Bands are still doing this kind of thing. Rilo Kiley had a song called 15 released in 2009 that is, well...the first stanza really sets the mood.

He's a spider on the web

The song has always given me the creeps, but a quick cursory glance indicates the song has a fair number of fans and it's not Boomers listening to Rilo Kiley songs.

And the faultless goose case was TWO YEARS AGO? I'm thinking this is something from the 80's or earlier. WTF France.

The lyrics seem to be about a predator using the internet to pray on a naive child, but I guess I’ve never heard it performed. I don’t want to believe that the adorable kid from The Wizard and the second Ronny Pinsky could write a pro-molester song.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The lyrics seem to be about a predator using the internet to pray on a naive child, but I guess I’ve never heard it performed. I don’t want to believe that the adorable kid from The Wizard and the second Ronny Pinsky could write a pro-molester song.

"Spider on the web" could mean internet I suppose. I always took it more literally that he's just drunk and wandering around until he finds this girl one night. Internet makes more sense.

What wigs me out is it goes back and forth. They call her a tiny woman, so she's a child. But then heaps of sin and she's coming on to him. Then it's back to "barely developing body" and we're in creepy child territory again. It's entirely possible the song is being told from the perspective of a predator who is projecting these intentions onto a child, but nuance can be difficult to convey in a song and it's just YIKES all around here.

It's not a bad song and the lyrics are well written. Just call it 18 and we're golden.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A middle aged man wanting and sleeping with an underage girl was like the 4th song ever written so there’s a long history of it. 75% of all 50s oldies is that song

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

He's a spider on the web

Liz Phair had a song on her debut album Exile in Guyville about continually getting hosed and dumped since she was 12. Exile in Guyville routinely enters into "top 100 albums of the 90s" lists, has sold more than half a million copies and enjoyed two anniversary re-releases, most recently in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are we supposed to consider writing about your own mistreatment at the hands of men to be on the same level as writing about wanting to gently caress a 14 year old?