Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure to call the sleep before you shoot, since it's a slow projectile and other people might be actively shooting them. If you don't call out a sleep first it might as well be wasted. At higher ranks your teammates will expect you to sleep Bob or Genji or whatever and give you a second though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
so does this experimental change make moira a counter to ana? I use fade all the time to cleanse anti-nade on myself in TM and it seems like she could cleanse an entire deathball?

I'm talking more about general gameplay than pro level poo poo, also experimental is experimental this may never go live, obviously

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

they already ended experimental mode and pushed the Genji nerfs to live and made a big explanation about how they're looking to make Moira more fun to play and more skillful

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah they're using the Experimental Card to throw things at the wall and see what sticks, which is a neat idea. Might as well let the community play with the concepts you've been playing with in house.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So Summer Games is coming later today, also just when I thought I had seen the depths of stupidity in this game tonight has proven me wrong, you have not experienced hell until you've played in a sub 1200 competitive game, like literally the only reason I don't uninstall the game and snap the disc in twain right this second is because the event is almost here, I think I'm done with Competitive for good now, or at least until either 2 comes out or I get a PC that can play this game

Also if Blizzard added an option to fully reset one's SR I would slam that button with the force of ten thousand suns, hell if they asked for money for it I'd probably pay whatever they asked for it at this point(and yes I know as a PS4 player I could just make a new PS4 account to effectively reset but then I'd not only have to go through the first 25 levels again but I'd also be starting from scratch with my inventory)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

So Summer Games is coming later today, also just when I thought I had seen the depths of stupidity in this game tonight has proven me wrong, you have not experienced hell until you've played in a sub 1200 competitive game, like literally the only reason I don't uninstall the game and snap the disc in twain right this second is because the event is almost here, I think I'm done with Competitive for good now, or at least until either 2 comes out or I get a PC that can play this game

Also if Blizzard added an option to fully reset one's SR I would slam that button with the force of ten thousand suns, hell if they asked for money for it I'd probably pay whatever they asked for it at this point(and yes I know as a PS4 player I could just make a new PS4 account to effectively reset but then I'd not only have to go through the first 25 levels again but I'd also be starting from scratch with my inventory)

ELO hell is completely real, Bronze is mostly children and people with intellectual issues, on an unranked account I sailed to plat because you win 50 sr per game instead of 10.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

xtal posted:

ELO hell is completely real, Bronze is mostly children and people with intellectual issues, on an unranked account I sailed to plat because you win 50 sr per game instead of 10.

are you saying, the longer you play, the lower the reward is for winning?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

SR is not reward, and I think it's a huge problem that the game frames it as such. SR is an indicator of where your skill bracket is and nothing else. The closer you are to your hidden MMR rating, the more equal your gains and losses will be. And despite whatever people think the game is pretty accurate at determining your mmr.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

berenzen posted:

SR is not reward, and I think it's a huge problem that the game frames it as such. SR is an indicator of where your skill bracket is and nothing else. The closer you are to your hidden MMR rating, the more equal your gains and losses will be. And despite whatever people think the game is pretty accurate at determining your mmr.

I completely disagree

Sometimes the enemies are braindead walkovers and sometimes they're clearly smurfs slumming it in gold

The game absolutely sucks at placing people based on skill

it just sticks you in a place where you get 50/50 wins to losses

it doesn't give a poo poo how those wins or losses happen

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

hhhat posted:

I completely disagree

Sometimes the enemies are braindead walkovers and sometimes they're clearly smurfs slumming it in gold

The game absolutely sucks at placing people based on skill

It sounds like you completely agree with him.

hhhat posted:

Those 2 things are true. Skill is defined as being able to win. That might mean overcoming smurfs or stomping braindeads. It all averages out to your accrurate SR. (the place where you win 50% of games)

headcase fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 4, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Movements are extremely slow in OW though because of the nature of the game. In VALORANT for example if you place a new account and immediately go 30-2 you'll potentially gain an entire OW rank (ie, in VALORANT terms, something like bronze 1 to silver 1) but in OW it'll always take a net of 10 or more wins to gain an entire rank even if you're completely rolling the enemy. If you have an established account you get more like 25 SR a win and it'll take a net of 20 wins to move an entire rank.

Also a bit of a problem with the way that OW presents SR its treated a bit more like say Apex's skill system where grinding will generally get you to higher rank if you get kills even if you lose horrifically.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VALORANT matches take fuckin forever though.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

headcase posted:

Those 2 things are true. Skill is defined as being able to win. That might mean overcoming smurfs or stomping braindeads. It all averages out to your accrurate SR. (the place where you win 50% of games)

my point

is the braindeads or smurfs shouldnt be playing against me

smurfs should be up in diamond or whatever

and the braindeads should be down in bronze

the game is terrible at this

and blizzard is terrible at caring about this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'll admit my personal skill at the game probably isn't all that high, but I'm pretty drat certain I should be higher than where I'm currently at(and sinking), the problem is I keep getting in teams composed of morons, which basically guarantees you're going to lose no matter how well you play, especially if one or more of them leaves(seriously the fact that you can lose SR from losing in that kind of situation is utter bullshit), and what makes this worse is playing with this degree of moron just is not fun at all, in fact it's loving infuriating and stressful as poo poo

Basically I feel SR would be a much fairer system if it only accounted for personal performance and not wins or losses cause the latter is too reliant on your team in a world where having good teammates is too inconsistent to make any sense(same basically applies to any team based game with a ranking system really)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

VALORANT matches take fuckin forever though.

Twice the length of an overwatch match, Overwatch will still take far more real time to rank up (and down) than Valorant.

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit my personal skill at the game probably isn't all that high, but I'm pretty drat certain I should be higher than where I'm currently at(and sinking), the problem is I keep getting in teams composed of morons, which basically guarantees you're going to lose no matter how well you play, especially if one or more of them leaves(seriously the fact that you can lose SR from losing in that kind of situation is utter bullshit), and what makes this worse is playing with this degree of moron just is not fun at all, in fact it's loving infuriating and stressful as poo poo

Basically I feel SR would be a much fairer system if it only accounted for personal performance and not wins or losses cause the latter is too reliant on your team in a world where having good teammates is too inconsistent to make any sense(same basically applies to any team based game with a ranking system really)

Personal performance stats are wrong though, which stats for tanks and healers are important? How would you tell the difference between a failed reddit lucio and a properly played aggressive lucio?

Also I have bad news for you if you're only grouped with "morons" in ranked...

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
My experience with OW comp is that playing against someone ~400 SR above you feels like you're getting dunked on. A low gold player will dominate bronze players. Every rank you play in will feel like you're playing with braindeads. Sometimes you'll play with an idiot who can click heads, sometimes you'll play with a 1 trick getting countered. The SR system is pretty much fine as long as you play more than some small number of games a week.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

but have u considered your bad at video game

ranking system is perfect therefore u must be bad

u bad person

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you're significantly better than average for your rank then YOU should be the smurf stomping games

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you're significantly better than average for your rank then YOU should be the smurf stomping games

theoretically true

practically false

since winning results in a small increase of SR, and losing (due to better smurfs, braindead teammates, or leavers) results in a large loss of SR

If they'd just do something about the problems people wouldn't complain as much about their ranking

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

hhhat posted:

theoretically true

practically false

since winning results in a small increase of SR, and losing (due to better smurfs, braindead teammates, or leavers) results in a large loss of SR

If they'd just do something about the problems people wouldn't complain as much about their ranking

blizzard sucks but matchmaking algorithms' intrinsic requirement of data points isn't why. you really oughta take this up with god, he's the one who can change the workings of math

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you should spend your time working on the factors you can control when playing ranked

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you should spend your time working on the factors you can control when playing ranked

So basically nothing then?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

So basically nothing then?

if you're not even playing the game and maneuvering your own character, I don't think you should be complaining about your SR then

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

if I wanted this deep level of analysis i'd visit the blizzard forums

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

blizzard sucks but matchmaking algorithms' intrinsic requirement of data points isn't why. you really oughta take this up with god, he's the one who can change the workings of math

the reason this is a dumb response is because blizzard does in fact decide what data points and math to use

it isn't magically appearing in the design

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hhhat posted:

if I wanted this deep level of analysis i'd visit the blizzard forums

good thing you're shouting into the wind here instead of working on your aim, game sense, or communication skills

although I am getting the sense that last attribute isn't your strong suit

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

hhhat posted:

the reason this is a dumb response is because blizzard does in fact decide what data points and math to use

it isn't magically appearing in the design

it is, in fact, not possible for any algorithm to meaningfully tell where the smurfs and the braindeads should be placed without them playing, thereby exposing you personally to the absolute unfairness of "lovely teammates and skilled opponents," which doesn't affect everyone equally because ____________

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If the metrics you want to care about don't translate to winning games, what good are they?

I can tell you it won't somehow get better if you were suddenly at a higher rank.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

there's no Elo in team

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If you're convinced that bad teammates are the only thing holding you back from your Diamond destiny then feel free to post some gameplay vids of yourself here or the tryhard thread. If you're showing Plat or Diamond or whichever level of play you're claiming people will be able to tell and will gladly join you in lamenting the capriciousness of ELO hell but you probably aren't and just need to git gud

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
nah i'm fine

thanks though! :)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Before I quit playing, I went from low silver (~1600) to mid-high plat(~2800 or so iirc). In silver and gold I wasn't winning 100% of my games, but it was probably close to 70-80% in silver and about 66% in gold. And it wasn't until I started to low plat where it was actually harder to climb because I was starting to approach around my true SR. Obviously there is variance to this, but there's plenty of data points out there that show that if you are better than what your skill rating is you will win a positive percentage of your games and climb.

If you reset your SR rating and went and did placements again you would probably end up in the exact same skill rating as you were, maybe a little bit higher if you had an uncontrollable loss streak, but almost certainly within a +/- 200 SR range.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If you're convinced that bad teammates are the only thing holding you back from your Diamond destiny then feel free to post some gameplay vids of yourself here or the tryhard thread. If you're showing Plat or Diamond or whichever level of play you're claiming people will be able to tell and will gladly join you in lamenting the capriciousness of ELO hell but you probably aren't and just need to git gud

I wasn't saying anything about being Diamond, hell I'll fully admit I'm probably poo poo(like with good teams consistently I'd probably top out somewhere in the lower reaches of Gold at best), but at least I understand how the game works overall, meanwhile the morons I get teamed up with barely seem to understand how to move and shoot, let alone use their heroes correctly(last night I saw a guy play Roadhog for an entire match without using his gas once)

berenzen posted:

Before I quit playing, I went from low silver (~1600) to mid-high plat(~2800 or so iirc). In silver and gold I wasn't winning 100% of my games, but it was probably close to 70-80% in silver and about 66% in gold. And it wasn't until I started to low plat where it was actually harder to climb because I was starting to approach around my true SR. Obviously there is variance to this, but there's plenty of data points out there that show that if you are better than what your skill rating is you will win a positive percentage of your games and climb.

If you reset your SR rating and went and did placements again you would probably end up in the exact same skill rating as you were, maybe a little bit higher if you had an uncontrollable loss streak, but almost certainly within a +/- 200 SR range.

Again you guys are ridiculously underestimating how stupid these people are

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Again you guys are ridiculously underestimating how stupid these people are

So are the people on your opponent's team, in fact they will probably have more people that are idiotic. I am totally aware of how dumb they are. I have played in bronze before with bacontotem. If you, yourself are truly a higher MMR, then you should be winning more games than you lose. That's how MMR works.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

berenzen posted:

So are the people on your opponent's team, in fact they will probably have more people that are idiotic. I am totally aware of how dumb they are. I have played in bronze before with bacontotem. If you, yourself are truly a higher MMR, then you should be winning more games than you lose. That's how MMR works.

How the gently caress are you supposed to win when it's effectively 1 vs 6?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

get gud scrub

its all your fault, dont blame teh system

im so smart i should work for blizard

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Kill them? If you're a gold in bronze, you should be able to kill a couple of them pretty consistently every team fight. Then your team, no matter how bad they are, should be able to help you clean up.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hhhat posted:

get gud scrub

its all your fault, dont blame teh system

im so smart i should work for blizard

who's the one player that's on every one of your bad teams?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

who's the one player that's on every one of your bad teams?

In most games there's 5 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

xtal posted:

In most games there's 5 of them

sure, but in every game he's played, there's one person that's always there