Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

yeah, it was very naive of DiDio/Lee et al to think that that wouldn't get national media attention (if they expected it to get attention but didn't think it would play badly with the WB brass, that might have been even more naive)

Or perhaps buying into 'any publicity is good' which... no, not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Or perhaps buying into 'any publicity is good' which... no, not really.

I don't see what's bad about bat-dick? It was a perfectly cromulent penis.

Also yeah, Bruce just got married, have him focus on trying to improve gotham as Bruce Wayne and have Dick get the cowl, with Damian as his Robin. Barry and Hal can both gently caress off into another crisis or whatever and let Wally and Jessica be the new Flash and GL.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Barry Convex posted:

presumably, the now-cancelled Generation One-Five one-shots were intended to address questions like those
I always forget about those. I just assume that they'd run a half-assed timeline at the end of Issue -1 or whatever that just has a bunch of vague poo poo like "What other SECRETS await the DCU in this NEW GENERATION" like at the end of Zero Hour.

Madkal posted:

They did show it, and then a lot of jokes were made and DC freaked out and removed all bat-dicks from reprints.
Dan Didio's fuckup torpedoed the chance we'd ever get Harley Quinn's clu**y in prestige gatefold.

Poor guy never managed to do 52 But Right. :911:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm rereading 52 right now actually.

I forgot about the part with a bunch of superheroes wear red cloaks over their regular costumes at a cult meeting.

Roth fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 4, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They were undercover!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Is it just me or is Batman very bad right now?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I am not a Tynion fan and went into it with a pretty low bar of expectations but god, it's just boring. The Joker's a necromancer now, fine. It feels like a half-hearted fill-in run.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's a shame. Tynion can clearly do good Batman, even if he should probably be given a Bat-family book, but now whenever I see a weird half-hearted run I think about Sean McKeever talking about how the editor was basically writing his Titans run and wonder if DC still gets up to that sort of thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

That's a shame. Tynion can clearly do good Batman, even if he should probably be given a Bat-family book, but now whenever I see a weird half-hearted run I think about Sean McKeever talking about how the editor was basically writing his Titans run and wonder if DC still gets up to that sort of thing.

I feel like it's definitely the case here.

DC made a Summer Cyborg special btw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like it's definitely the case here.

DC made a Summer Cyborg special btw

That Apollo and Midnighter in the second panel?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

That Apollo and Midnighter in the second panel?

Yup, check out the costumes crumpled up in the foreground.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

Yup, check out the costumes crumpled up in the foreground.

Ah, phone posting so I missed that, I was basing it off Apollo's swimsuit.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Ah, phone posting so I missed that, I was basing it off Apollo's swimsuit.

lmao, I totally missed their themed swimsuits.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Grayson was such an incredible use of Midnighter. I wish DC had a book that fun and cool again. I wish Tom King did more stuff like it, though Strange Adventures has its moments.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The summer special was really really good. The Booster Gold and Blue Beetle chapter was probably the highlight.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

The summer special was really really good. The Booster Gold and Blue Beetle chapter was probably the highlight.

I didn't know this was a thing! If there's a good Blue and Gold story, I feel obligated to buy it. What's it about, and how long is it?

On that note, how was Blue Beetle's appearance in Terrifics #27 (the last issue to be published in print)? I haven't read the book at all, but does Ted do anything significant in the issue to make it worth buying as a fan of his?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I didn't know this was a thing! If there's a good Blue and Gold story, I feel obligated to buy it. What's it about, and how long is it?
The book is called DC Cybernetic Summer, which is unfortunate 'cuz I read it as "DC Cybernetic Superman" at first and was like ugggh this guy again? But um without spoiling, Booster and Beetle go on a vacation. It's not too long, just a short story in a longer book.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The book is called DC Cybernetic Summer, which is unfortunate 'cuz I read it as "DC Cybernetic Superman" at first and was like ugggh this guy again? But um without spoiling, Booster and Beetle go on a vacation. It's not too long, just a short story in a longer book.

are you talking mess about Hank Henshaw aka Cyborg Superman???????

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Blue and Gold go on a trip to the beach and use the Time Sphere. Hijinks ensue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Grayson was such an incredible use of Midnighter. I wish DC had a book that fun and cool again. I wish Tom King did more stuff like it, though Strange Adventures has its moments.

Your spyral tech may hide your face, but I'd recognize that rear end anywhere.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Alaois posted:

are you talking mess about Hank Henshaw aka Cyborg Superman???????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hODshVmed5o

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
So I started finally going through some of the New 52 stuff I had picked up but never read. I'm mostly out of the Court of Owls stuff in Batman which was pretty neat, but there seemed to be a lot going on in the background we didn't see, especially with the Talons assassination attempts.

Does any of that crop up in other New 52 books?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

OscarDiggs posted:

So I started finally going through some of the New 52 stuff I had picked up but never read. I'm mostly out of the Court of Owls stuff in Batman which was pretty neat, but there seemed to be a lot going on in the background we didn't see, especially with the Talons assassination attempts.

Does any of that crop up in other New 52 books?

I am starting to reread Snyder's Batman run (just finished the Owl stuff and now I am getting into Death of the family *shudder*) and to answer your question....

I managed to pick up a trade that collected the whole saga and the stuff you are asking about, which was kind of handwaved (where did that list of targets come from, who stopped them etc) was shown in a back up done by Snyder/Tynion where Alfred hacks (???) the Owls server or something like that, finds a hit list and puts in a call to all Bat allies to go stop the hits before they happen. It's a four page backup and I don't know where it originally appeared but that answers your question. There is a trade out there that collects all the side issues from other books where the allies go and battle the owls. I remember re-reading the Batman comic (2 days ago) and also wondering where this hit list came from and what was done about it

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

I might of missed something in my reading frenzy but I'm on Graveyard Shift now and did Damien die? Because I swear I didnt read anything about it until the scene where Alfred talks about losing Jason as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

I might of missed something in my reading frenzy but I'm on Graveyard Shift now and did Damien die? Because I swear I didnt read anything about it until the scene where Alfred talks about losing Jason as well.

He dies when Talia's Leviathan rises up and tries to do its thing.

Pretty much every one of the male Robins has died in some manner at least once (except Tim? I forget)

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Pretty much every one of the male Robins has died in some manner at least once (except Tim? I forget)

Okay, but when was this?

One moment theyre all happy after all surviving the Joker and the next minute Batman is in full grief mode. Did I skip an issue somehow?

I dont remember any Batman issue talking about anything along the lines of Leviathan.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Xelkelvos posted:

afaik Tim hasn't "really" died and I dunno if I'd count Dick. Jason and Damian are more blatant and I think Steph's was real, too? I know it was retconned so it's weird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Everyone in universe thought Tim died in Detective comics when it was a Batwoman led teambook. It was revealed to readers pretty quick he didn't actually die, but i don't remember if it was the same issue, the next issue or the one after that. I read it in trade and didn't get far enough for him to come back so I don't remember how long people the characters thought he was dead.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

So, was it an off screen death?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

So, was it an off screen death?

Nope, he was shot with a bazillion lasers at the same time, but was teleported away immediately before by a different and completely unrelated villain, so a bunch of people thought the watched him get vaporized.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Nope, he was shot with a bazillion lasers at the same time, but was teleported away immediately before by a different and completely unrelated villain, so a bunch of people thought the watched him get vaporized.

So Damian got vapourised in a side comic? That seems a bit unfair not to even advertise it. There wasnt even a "Read X and Y to find out why Batman is so mad"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

OscarDiggs posted:

Okay, but when was this?

One moment theyre all happy after all surviving the Joker and the next minute Batman is in full grief mode. Did I skip an issue somehow?

I dont remember any Batman issue talking about anything along the lines of Leviathan.

Damien died in Grant Morrison's Batman Inc run. Morrison had it always slated for Damien to die and he died in quite a dramatic fashion when the Heretic (another Damien clone but aged up) stabbed him.

edit: Tim was the one that got vaporized in Detective comics after DC: Rebirth.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
To clarify Two of the Many Deaths of Robin:

Damian Wayne: Is stabbed to death by Heretic, a weird monster clone of him that Talia used as part of her Leviathan gambit at the tail end of Grant Morrison's Batman run in Batman Incorporated in 2013. The mourning of Damian mostly takes place in Tomasi/Gleason's Batman & Robin, which is retitled Batman & [various other names] while he's dead. He's resurrected in the Robin Rises mini-event a year or so later.

Tim Drake: Is shot with a billion lasers at the start of Tynion's Detective Comics Rebirth series, and was teleported to a prison run by MISTER OZ at the behest of Doctor Manhattan, for reasons I don't think anyone ever bothered explaining on either count because Doomsday Clock was forever delayed/getting changed. He escaped, and I don't think I ever read anything else from Tynion's Detective.

Scott Snyder's Batman (which the Graveyard Shift trade is part of) is referencing the former, if that wasn't obvious.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay. So basically I need to track down Batman Inc to read the actual death.

Its still really rude theres not... ANYTHING to indicate such a major thing like a character death happened in an entirely different comic line. So, do I read up the his death in Batman Inc then go back to Batman? Or are there any other huge things that happen that the writers dont do anything to tell readers they should read something else first?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Outside of that one issue Damian is pretty much irrelevant to Snyder's run.

Skwirl posted:

Everyone in universe thought Tim died in Detective comics when it was a Batwoman led teambook. It was revealed to readers pretty quick he didn't actually die, but i don't remember if it was the same issue, the next issue or the one after that. I read it in trade and didn't get far enough for him to come back so I don't remember how long people the characters thought he was dead.

The readers find out in the same issue (#940) but most of the characters don't find out until #965.

The Mister Oz stuff makes no sense now and reads terribly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

OscarDiggs posted:

Okay. So basically I need to track down Batman Inc to read the actual death.

Its still really rude theres not... ANYTHING to indicate such a major thing like a character death happened in an entirely different comic line. So, do I read up the his death in Batman Inc then go back to Batman? Or are there any other huge things that happen that the writers dont do anything to tell readers they should read something else first?

Grant Morrison's Batman Inc is going to be collected again in the Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus Volume 3 that is out on the 25th of this month. The Tomasi and Gleason Batman and Robin Omnibus is still available on sale at Amazon. Both are great reads.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You can read that one issue of Inc but you won't really get the full oomph of it if you don't read all of Morrisons run. Indo recommend Tomasi's Batman and Robin nu-52 run (which takes place in the same "universe" as Snyder's run). As been mentioned Robins death doesn't really figure much into Snyder's run so it is easy enough to ignore, even when Damien comes back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Also the Macguffin that lets Robin come back is introduced in the first arc of the New 52 Batman/Superman book but it's really inessential and all you need to do is know that it's a macguffin.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Do I have to read any of something called Final Crises?

Because thats listed in a collection of Morrisons run, going back to like "Black Casebook" and "Batman R.I.P". Both of those I've technically already read, but I could do a read through again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OscarDiggs posted:

Do I have to read any of something called Final Crises?

Because thats listed in a collection of Morrisons run, going back to like "Black Casebook" and "Batman R.I.P". Both of those I've technically already read, but I could do a read through again.

His role in Final Crisis is small in terms of page count and enormous in terms of impact.

RIP and Time and the Batman cover the events of Final Crisis from Bats' perspective. I don't know how well they work without having read FC itself though.