Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
alternately the speed racer movie racer on the wii is very fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I dont have any systems newer than the Wii so the sonic racing game is out but I will nab CTR and give it a shot.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I never got around to getting far in the first RDR because I'd get through the utterly boring rear end intro missions, fuckin around on the ranch doing boring poo poo, inevitably get bored a few hours into the story, stop playing, and then come back to repeat this exact cycle later that year

Aiming with a controller in this kind of game also sucks extreme amounts of rear end so :rip:

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
why ain’t y’all talkin bout Hellpoint it’s very cspam

it’s a dark souls clone inspired by event horizon and brutalist architecture. Unlike most clones out there this one is good.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I dont have any systems newer than the Wii so the sonic racing game is out but I will nab CTR and give it a shot.

That's a shame, the Sonic game has a Skies of Arcadia level that is particularly awesome.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

I haven't worked in gaming, but I have worked at a small "cool" company that got sold to a multinational and promptly degenerated over the course of the next few years, I really relate to this so hard. Watching all the "cool" things like chill leave policies, free food, cool culture/lack of dress code evaporate while the low base pay you told yourself was a fair compromise doesn't move an inch. It's a mistake I won't make again, and I hope the Blizzard employees here get at least some of their concerns addressed. I wasn't even a creative role - I can't imagine the feeling of being stuck working on sequels/iterations on a monolithic franchise like WoW or Diablo on top

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
every workplace should have a transparent pay structure, and any company that refuses to do so is just trying to pay certain groups of people less.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Grapplejack posted:

play sonic racing transformed or ctr with him because they are unambiguously, unironically better games than mario kart could ever hope to be

This is the closest we'll get to a new golden axe, skies of Arcadia, and space channel 5

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Grapplejack posted:

play sonic racing transformed or ctr with him because they are unambiguously, unironically better games than mario kart could ever hope to be

I don't know if its the circle of friends I had or what but I had much much more fun playing Crash Team Racing than any Mario Kart games

then again I also had much more fun playing Crash Bandicoot 1 than Super Mario 64 so maybe I'm just a bandicoot simp

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The original CTR was the best racing game ever made.

Crash Bash was fun too imo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SirSamVimes posted:

The original CTR was the best racing game ever made.

Crash Bash was fun too imo.
:yeah:

CTR was so drat good, quite possibly the only one i really liked. i've never really gotten into any racing games since really. i gues ssonic transformed was 'good' but eh, not the same. Crash Bash was fun but it was a bit janky. generally N64 had better party games but i got some mileage out of it. i think one prob with Crash Bash is it came at the end of the PSX life and we had Dreamcast and even PS2 had come out before it so it didn't see a whole lot of use

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't know if its the circle of friends I had or what but I had much much more fun playing Crash Team Racing than any Mario Kart games

then again I also had much more fun playing Crash Bandicoot 1 than Super Mario 64 so maybe I'm just a bandicoot simp
This means you have an easier time identifying with a bandicoot than an Italian.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

JollyBoyJohn posted:

CTR felt less...floaty? than Mario Kart. I always felt that I had somewhat less control over the karts and weapons in Mario Kart, whereas in CTR I could do pinpoint turns and drifts and hit someone with a bomb from a mile away

Might just be that I put way more hours into CTR, but that was my experience

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Observer is a very good game and a good swan song for the late Rutger Hauer. He's not really asked to do alot, but he carries the script very well.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i installed myth 2 this morning for some nostalgia and drat it’s a good game, I forgot how impressive these physics and graphics were for 1998, never mind the fun dark fantasy setting that also doesn’t quite tip over the line into egregious grimdarkness

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Frog Act posted:

i installed myth 2 this morning for some nostalgia and drat it’s a good game, I forgot how impressive these physics and graphics were for 1998, never mind the fun dark fantasy setting that also doesn’t quite tip over the line into egregious grimdarkness

soulblighter owns. tempted to play some dwarven satchel golf now

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ok what the gently caress am i supposed to do when the invisible monsters are coming for sean bean in the mailman game?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
press X to ask frodo to use the ring to stop them, hope you've been doing his sidequests so he's friendly to you!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Marx Was A Lib posted:

ok what the gently caress am i supposed to do when the invisible monsters are coming for sean bean in the mailman game?

sneak around crouching and holding your breath if you get really close until you get the blood poo poo and piss grenades

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Marx Was A Lib posted:

They're kinda all-bark, no bite. If you get caught and get the "black goo people try to pull you down" thing, shake 'em off and get out of the goo, then turn around and piss on them because they can't hurt you outside the goo. If you get the "pulled down the river of goo" thing when you get caught, run away from the animal that's chasing you; once you get outside of the black goo, it stops raining and all the BTs disappear.

Getting pulled down the river is honestly the easiest way to go because it ends the BT encounter immediately rather than crouch walking around them for 10 minutes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Standing still makes them visible, they don't move much . Otherwise just crouch walk at angles with your little scanner antenna pointed at them . Hold your breath as much as you can

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

soulblighter owns. tempted to play some dwarven satchel golf now

it really does, i just did the first three missions and it's really a great pure RTS, uncomplicated by resources or base building, uniquely paced with a fun setting and cool mechanics. i wish it would get a quality remaster

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Standing still makes them visible, they don't move much . Otherwise just crouch walk at angles with your little scanner antenna pointed at them . Hold your breath as much as you can

ahhh ok that's what i was missing. i mean, i knew what i was supposed to do (avoid them) but for the life of me couldn't figure out where they actually were

and it sounds like i'm gonna want to break myself of the "run around calling out all the time" habit i've already set for myself...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

later you get a thing that just insta kills the ghosts so you dont have to deal with them

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Marx Was A Lib posted:

ahhh ok that's what i was missing. i mean, i knew what i was supposed to do (avoid them) but for the life of me couldn't figure out where they actually were

and it sounds like i'm gonna want to break myself of the "run around calling out all the time" habit i've already set for myself...

nah i'm fifty hours in and i basically spend half my time accidentally yelling because i missed a like, BTs are trivialized pretty quick

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ogilvie posted:

it’s a dark souls clone inspired by event horizon and brutalist architecture. Unlike most clones out there this one is good.

I've heard nothing but bad things about it but then again I liked Outer Worlds so I'm not in sync vOv

Gonna need way more people saying its good before I give it a chance though

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ogilvie posted:

The surge sucked, I won't be tricked by sci-fi souls again

The only thing I'm gonna hit with weapons is monsters and demons

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

i also thought surge wasnt for me. prople really love the sequel but id rather replay a from game

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Finished the second set of campaign missions in Transport Fever 2, which starts to use flying more. Super awesome game but road transport is kinda ez mode. There aren't any real time crunches or other efficiency factors put on you, so you don't really have to work too hard to set poo poo up. I'm moving into the "modern" era now and I hope the difficulty ramps up pretty hard, or maybe I can find some custom scenarios that are a bit more challenging.

As good as the game is, I don't think the sandbox mode would be very interesting because the only things you can really manipulate are methods of transport, I could be wrong tho, haven't checked it out.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I've never tried one of those transport sim games. The concept appeals to me but they all look too simple. I basically want larger scale Factorio without the stupid Minecraft interface.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

the big problem with those games is that nothing has really been as good as transport tycoon deluxe a quarter of a century ago lol

e; never mind i think i misread the genre of transport fever 2

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

also zero dawn comes out for pc in 2 days, waiting for how it runs on proton before I buy it though

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

mastershakeman posted:

I’ve played a lot of dark souls clones and this one actually feels good to play and has the things that makes souls games good. The weapons feel powerful and have interesting move sets, a big level to explore with a lot of secrets to find, vague questlines, some exciting boss fights, and full multiplayer. Multiplayer was a bit rocky at launch but the devs actually got it workin alright and Hellpoint is fun to play.

It’s not perfect though, game can be buggy and early on the enemy variety is kind of trash. The level design is also kinda bland in parts but the combat in the game is done extremely well.

I can see why you’d wanna avoid it though, we’ve been burned by some bad dark souls clones. There was a bad demo released in February that soured a lot of impressions of the game. If you wanna beat the tar out of monsters and demons with a giant piece of concrete I say it’s worth the $35.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

dex_sda posted:

also zero dawn comes out for pc in 2 days, waiting for how it runs on proton before I buy it though

It runs on the same engine as Death Stranding so there might be Proton benchmarks out there for the latter

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

It runs on the same engine as Death Stranding so there might be Proton benchmarks out there for the latter

yeah I've checked that before but those results are pretty inconsistent, some report perfect play others lots of issues. better to wait for some pertaining to zero dawn

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dex_sda posted:

the big problem with those games is that nothing has really been as good as transport tycoon deluxe a quarter of a century ago lol

e; never mind i think i misread the genre of transport fever 2

Railroad Tycoon 2 is on brand for CSPAM if only because it has a working stock market that you can do margin call and short selling shenanigans with

NUMBER GO UP!!!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
TF2 is good because there's cargo and goods management, which scratches my Anno1404 itch

i wish we'd get a big trading/route management game like Patrician or something, but there are apparently only like 11 people in the world who like those games, so gently caress me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Machiavelli the Prince is unavailable on GOG and has never been remade. It's practically a crime.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1291026245115879425

I'm a huge babby so I'll play on crisis actor mode (no permadeath)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wrex Ruckus posted:

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1291026245115879425

I'm a huge babby so I'll play on crisis actor mode (no permadeath)

Here's a gameplay preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvGY2ttD_k