Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
gently caress you, also it's not even remotely about what my skill level is or wherever it should be, I just want to play matches with teammates who know what the gently caress they're doing, what I've been stuck with is just not enjoyable in any loving form whatsoever, seriously it just absolutely mystifies me how dumb these people are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

gently caress you, also it's not even remotely about what my skill level is or wherever it should be, I just want to play matches with teammates who know what the gently caress they're doing, what I've been stuck with is just not enjoyable in any loving form whatsoever, seriously it just absolutely mystifies me how dumb these people are

do you think it's possible that the other people on your team complain about your play in the same fashion, or are you one of the chosen few whom the algorithm chooses to torment?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

World War Mammories posted:

do you think it's possible that the other people on your team complain about your play in the same fashion, or are you one of the chosen few whom the algorithm chooses to torment?

Legitimately yes, also gently caress YOU

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:thunk:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
People melting down about their team mates never gets old. :smug:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There are two types of OW matches:

1- an evenly matched game that's loads of fun whether you win or lose.

2- a dogshit game where your team either stomps the other team or gets stomped. In this case the outcome of the match feels pre-determined after the first or second push. These matches all suck and exist to make you treasure the matches of type 1.

Unfortunately it seems like the ratio of type 1 to type 2 matches is 1:10. Therefore you should just play deathmatch in the arcade.

Also comp is more fun once you realize everyone playing, including yourself, sucks.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I had a couple of nice comp games in pc bronze tonight, everyone was cheerful and the chat was nice

The only game I lost was when my team picked 5 dps so gently caress it I went dps too, yeah we lost that one but no one gave a poo poo

A lot of players in pc bronze know some basic gamesense because everyone does, overwatch is old as gently caress, but are really terrible executing anything. I'm guilty of that too

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
I'm sorry for piling on further with advice you might have already heard, but one skill you might be neglecting is your teamwork. I know not everyone is on voice comms at lower ranks, but even just judicious use of the special voice lines like "Group up with me", "Fall back", or "My ult is at x%" can help move things in the right direction. Other things to look for would be opportunities to enable - like if you see a teammate struggling, ask yourself "Can I do something to help them get what they need to hold up their end of things?" Like imagine you're a support and you've got a Mccree who isn't lining up headshots well. If you're Mercy, you might want to damage boost them so that the shots they're getting can add up to a kill more often. If you're offtank and your supports are getting flanked or dove on, keep an eye on them and move in to help them when that happens. Be on the lookout for opportunities to do things like that. You might not be able to outskill the six enemies all game, but you can definitely help the five other people with you stand at your level for this match.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Don't play competitive anything in any online game ever. It will just make you angry.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm pants on head terrible at this game but seeing multiple people get really angry about their MMR without pausing for even a second of self-reflection was really funny to me for some reason.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImperialGuard posted:

I'm sorry for piling on further with advice you might have already heard, but one skill you might be neglecting is your teamwork. I know not everyone is on voice comms at lower ranks, but even just judicious use of the special voice lines like "Group up with me", "Fall back", or "My ult is at x%" can help move things in the right direction. Other things to look for would be opportunities to enable - like if you see a teammate struggling, ask yourself "Can I do something to help them get what they need to hold up their end of things?" Like imagine you're a support and you've got a Mccree who isn't lining up headshots well. If you're Mercy, you might want to damage boost them so that the shots they're getting can add up to a kill more often. If you're offtank and your supports are getting flanked or dove on, keep an eye on them and move in to help them when that happens. Be on the lookout for opportunities to do things like that. You might not be able to outskill the six enemies all game, but you can definitely help the five other people with you stand at your level for this match.

On the one hand being able to offer communication can help, but it also comes at the risk of me getting pissed off and screaming my head off at my teammates for being idiots, for some reason having a mic often results in me getting angrier much faster than without(mostly in this game, it doesn't happen anywhere near as often in other games for some reason)

Also Overwatch's voice chat options are loving awful

Xarbala posted:

I'm pants on head terrible at this game but seeing multiple people get really angry about their MMR without pausing for even a second of self-reflection was really funny to me for some reason.

I've done plenty of self reflection, like I know I have plenty of areas I need to improve in(like I'm still awful as Zarya and Ana), but it just really feels like unless I can get to a rank with teammates who have better capability to play competently there's not really much else I can meaningfully do to actually improve, as at my current rank(1092) I basically have to spend the whole match babysitting my moron teammates in the vague vain hope that maybe we can pull off a win and that leaves no time to spend on working on actually improving as a player(well beyond the vague sort that comes from playing the game a bunch)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

've done plenty of self reflection, like I know I have plenty of areas I need to improve in(like I'm still awful as Zarya and Ana), but it just really feels like unless I can get to a rank with teammates who have better capability to play competently there's not really much else I can meaningfully do to actually improve, as at my current rank(1092) I basically have to spend the whole match babysitting my moron teammates in the vague vain hope that maybe we can pull off a win and that leaves no time to spend on working on actually improving as a player(well beyond the vague sort that comes from playing the game a bunch)

There is literally no rank that you will get to where this happens. Sorry to say, even in GM games, people will act pants on head stupid at times.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
When I first started playing OW (probably over 3 years ago at this point) I hadn't played a competitive online FPS in over a decade (CS 1.6 days -- and now somehow all I play are online FPSs). My first season of comp I hovered around 900-1200 SR all season after dropping like a rock after initial placements. A season later, after spending much time practicing mechanics and working on game sense and positioning etc, I went from ~1k to mid gold in a single season maining Lucio of all heroes (hardly a hard carry hero) with a solid win rate. So at least anecdotally, once you're actually playing at a gold level, you shouldn't have too much trouble climbing out of bronze. While this was a while ago, if anything bronze was even worse back then because (as Ad by Khad mentioned) the player base was worse w.r.t. game sense/knowledge because the game was newer, and there was no 2-2-2, so team comps were a crap shoot.

I'd say ELO hell might exist to some extent, but it's probably only holding people back a few hundred SR, at most < 500. If you're stuck at mid-high bronze while playing enough games per season that you can't just chalk it up to variance, it's unlikely that you're actually playing at a gold level. When I drop even 200-300 SR due to a bad run, the games already start becoming noticeably easier. If you were 1k below your true rank that should feel like EZ Mode in a large majority of your games. The thought that you belong significantly higher may actually be inadvertently causing you to play worse as you may start trying to carry rather than playing smart when you're not actually good enough to pull that off.

Also, consider that players are at their rank for different reasons. Some might have above average mechanics for their rank but be lacking in game sense, some might have great game sense for their rank but be lacking in mechanics, some might be more balanced etc. So it may be possible some aspects of your game sense are much better than your SR (which is why your teammates seem brain dead sometimes), but other parts of your game (e.g. one or more of aim, movement, positioning, hero specific mechanics / ability usage, ult usage, teamwork/communication, other aspects of game sense etc) are lacking which is holding you back. However, if you're not aware that you yourself are constantly making mistakes, especially when rewatching your gameplay after the fact, that is a sign that you don't actually have a good handle on your own strengths and weaknesses and skill level, because even up to the very high ranks players are still making mistakes consistently. Ultimately, you need to identify what aspects of your game are your biggest holes and specifically practice at improving those areas (this may mean custom games, aim trainers, deathmatch, etc for non-game sense related skills), as this is all you really have control over.

Finally, if you're hoping that once you get out of bronze, or get to gold, or get to rank X, comp will turn into some grand mode where everyone is always playing smart and working well as a team and even losses are always fun, just quit now. Even at higher ranks, stomps where it feels like there's nothing one of the teams could do to win are common.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Gonna play some Overwatch

PS anyone who doesn’t play tank or heals is a scrub. And selfish

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I just wish I knew what is it about this game of all games that seems to attract morons to a degree I've literally never seen in an online FPS before, even Team Fortress 2 at it's height after it went free to play or any of the Halo or CoD games I've played had such a high amount of dumbasses, hell even Paladins has less and that game is arguably much more esoteric in it's mechanics than Overwatch(not to mention a free to play game too)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I tilt way harder on Quick Play than I do on Comp, and I think it's because I know that in comp at least people are trying. They may suck, they may be idiots who aren't listening to the entire team yelling "PLEASE USE YOUR GRAV" but on some level, they're trying their best :unsmith:

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

berenzen posted:

There is literally no rank that you will get to where this happens. Sorry to say, even in GM games, people will act pants on head stupid at times.
Yeah, to paraphrase one of my favorite bits of advice from a pro gamer, sometimes a team game will go totally hosed up, and you have to be capable of swallowing your pride to go with the flow. If you half-rear end it or refuse to play along, you're done for. Go crazy when the game goes crazy.

Rockso, my prescription for you is as follows: Don't worry about your mechanics/teammates/rating so much, and instead focus on catching errors (the ones made or about to be made by you, and the ones your enemies make) and your attitude. You can't help your teammates if you tilt into the stratosphere, and they can't help you if you yell at them until they're mentally numb. If you have a hair-pullingly bad loss, there's no shame in taking a break or quitting for the night.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I agree its hilarious this dude doesn´t seem to realise that if everyone in his tier is super dumb and he truly is better then the people he meets up there he should be the deciding factor in most of his games.

The thing still is, if you enjoy playing competitive but don´t have the time to play hundreds games a week you still might find this all very frustrating because the change you get a terrible game (even when winning) is really high. I mean, if you aim to play loads of games and understand the statistical situation as described above then yeah you might be fine but things change if you only play for example an evening or two a week. Things get disheartening fast if you happen to be in an unlucky streak of which the changes are relatively high.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

drrockso20 posted:

On the one hand being able to offer communication can help, but it also comes at the risk of me getting pissed off and screaming my head off at my teammates for being idiots, for some reason having a mic often results in me getting angrier much faster than without(mostly in this game, it doesn't happen anywhere near as often in other games for some reason)
I've done plenty of self reflection,

Not nearly enough, buddy.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Only play ffa competitive and then you don't have to worry about others

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

We Know Catheters posted:

Only play ffa competitive and then you don't have to worry about others

ffa comp is back again? 'Cause i had a lot of fun with that yea

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
I play with a couple of friends who hard-capped at ~2000 SR. They blame every loss on a team mate not doing something, because they see them make a mistake during one fight and that's that, but you can watch them do the exact same thing they're complaining about. Often it's things like they're playing reaper and engage before the tanks or take a terrible duel. The problem was with the idiot tanks because they didn't go in soon enough or the team obviously weren't helping them in the dumb duel.

You don't need to communicate ingame in order to climb, that's optimising the wrong skill set. You end up focusing on how bronzies play, which won't get you out of bronze. It's almost definitely a problem with either:
a) Not being able to prioritise the one or two specific actions you can take in a team fight that will make you win.
b) Not being able to identify the correct time to execute the action.

Do you think in terms of people being out of position instead of specific map locations? I find that being able to identify if someone is out of position or not helps understand the timing aspect of team fights. The active area of play, and therefore where you should be, changes as both teams re-position around the map. I used to think "On Hanamura A defence I sit in the back window as Ana", which breaks down when the enemy team flanks or moves through the choke, then I'd die to a genji flank and blame someone else for not dealing with them. I was in a good spot, at the wrong time.

Last time I played on a fresh account I played as Winston only in a supposed anti-Winston meta and at the lowest ranks it literally doesn't matter what the rest of the team are doing because you can just consecutively zone out players who are out of position and win. Occasionally your team will trickle so badly that you just lose outright, but the other 90% of games you win and skyrocket in SR.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Playing Ana I find myself more and more aware when I'm out of position, or when I screw up a 'nade, or when I get picked off before I hit Q and save the dying tank. It's depressing, but educational.

I'm also aware when my DPS will never peel for me or even push and I should just switch to Brig and try to drag everyone along with me.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'll say that nothing has humbled me more than playing to (Tank-DPS-Support) Diamond-Masters-Masters on PS4 and then coming back to PC post-2-2-2 and I'm Gold-Plat-Diamond

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I really miss TF2

I wish they'd make TF3

I played TF2 unranked, happily, for years and years and years

I played maps with basically no objectives, mostly 2fort4 - with nobody saying anything and occasional dance parties

Once in a while someone would pop in and try hard, and we'd have fun, but once in a while it would just be shoot mans

Mann vs machine was also hella fun

Overwatch is only fun once out of every 3 or 4 times i run it, and yet its still the best FPS out right now

They should never have designed it like a MOBA

Quake 5 would also be good maybe. I dunno. Just gently caress all the competitive poo poo off the map

And Overwatch DM sucks. A real DM match has rooms so small that one grenade kills everything in it, and if it takes you longer than 2 seconds to find an enemy, it means nobody else is on the server

It's like someone who never really liked FPS designed overwatch

I'm looking at you, Jeff "word of warcraft is my favorite" Kaplan

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Overwatch FFA is just competitive kill stealing, which as a Sombra main I'm totally down for

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
if you miss TF2 and quake go play TF2 and quake, they're right there, they still exist

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

if you miss TF2 and quake go play TF2 and quake, they're right there, they still exist

its just that easy!

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
One of the things I think limits people in learning skills is the lack of being able to play on a team with grandmaster, or higher players - because in doing so, you will learn very quickly that your old habits are bad, and you will need to adopt new ones.

There's an interesting video by Jayne where he is reviewing a platinum Zenyatta. At some point, the Zen comes face to dace with a hanzo. They duke it out for about 6 hanzo shots before the Hanzo is pressured to retreat. Jayne then pointed out, that a grandmaster hanzo would have headshotted the Zen immediately - punishing that Zen for being in a bad position. However, in that skill level, juking it out might work, so the Zen may learn some bad habits, that they then have to relearn when going up to the next level.

... And I think that's a difference between, say, playing TF2 as a Heavy with a master spy on the opposing team Autobalance will scramble te teams randomly, and generally you will have a mix of bad players and really really good ones. You can learn tips and trivks while actively playing with, or against a great player.

Watching the pros play is one thing - being able to play with (or against) is another...

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Guigui posted:

One of the things I think limits people in learning skills is the lack of being able to play on a team with grandmaster, or higher players - because in doing so, you will learn very quickly that your old habits are bad, and you will need to adopt new ones.

There's an interesting video by Jayne where he is reviewing a platinum Zenyatta. At some point, the Zen comes face to dace with a hanzo. They duke it out for about 6 hanzo shots before the Hanzo is pressured to retreat. Jayne then pointed out, that a grandmaster hanzo would have headshotted the Zen immediately - punishing that Zen for being in a bad position. However, in that skill level, juking it out might work, so the Zen may learn some bad habits, that they then have to relearn when going up to the next level.

It's one of the reasons it's funny when people think they'd be having more fun if only they were higher rank and therefore had better/smarter teammates. As you go up in rank, players get better and better at punishing every little mistake you make. What would actually happen if you magically jumped rank is you'd get punished for all the things you didn't even realize you were getting away with at your current rank, which is why you're around your current rank, and it would feel quite oppressive and unfun as you dropped hard in SR.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ad by Khad posted:

quake is one thing but I can see people that liked tf2 at the beginning not liking it now. it's a pretty different game from what it was at launch

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
not that I should have to say it but they dont patch it anymore either so its just bots and hackers at this point

Quake is maybe another story if they're still doing the quake 3 live thing or whatever

just remake and rerelease quake 2 ctf honestly

(quake 4 was this, but nobody played it so i spent some time on servers crying to myself wishing i had friends)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lucioball Remix is really good, and, also, I'm winning like 90% of my matches lol. Finally you're able to "carry" in this mode with all the changes they made.

Even aside from me winning consistently, the pace is MUCH improved, there's much more room for skill, and games end pretty quick. There's no more time-wasting replays of each goal too. Wish they'd done this years ago.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Splinter posted:

It's one of the reasons it's funny when people think they'd be having more fun if only they were higher rank and therefore had better/smarter teammates. As you go up in rank, players get better and better at punishing every little mistake you make. What would actually happen if you magically jumped rank is you'd get punished for all the things you didn't even realize you were getting away with at your current rank, which is why you're around your current rank, and it would feel quite oppressive and unfun as you dropped hard in SR.

This makes sense because I have a lot of fun in OW and last time I ranked I was solid Bronze and I don't think it's changed. So basically I can do whatever stupid ridiculous poo poo my Bronze brain comes up with, and no one else in the match is good enough to really punish me for it. Just a bunch of idiots down here playing in the slop.

One thing that the new experimental mode really crystallized for me is how much a match between balanced teams can still swing. We started on attack and rapidly got Point A - in a normal match we would have had a lot of momentum, close to charged ults, and probably would have been able to sweep in on Point B. But with the switch, it resets and we were on Defense, we did ok, but the enemy team still captured the point (though it took them longer). When we switched back onto Offense all the momentum was gone and we completely whiffed the second attack. The first half felt like we were stomping, the back-end we were getting stomped, but it was the same teams and map - it was just that once the things had swung, it was really hard for a team to regroup and overcome that again.

Probably particularly a problem if you're in low tier and playing solo because it's hard to get everyone to properly regroup, make roster changes, and take a fresh shot instead of just sort of trickling into the same disaster.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

hhhat posted:

not that I should have to say it but they dont patch it anymore either so its just bots and hackers at this point

The hackers are more because the last major patch they did murdered all community servers by hiding the server browser (because they added terrible matchmaking) and they don't care about the game enough to actually moderate any reports from official servers

Not bitter about it dying and overwatch being nothing like it

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Tf2 and titanfall 2 are the best shooters ever made.

Are there any just regular king of the hill servers on tf2 still or is it all weird furries and poo poo still?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Ryanbomber posted:

Not bitter about it dying and overwatch being nothing like it

i'm convinced the best model for a new FPS is a subscription based one

keep paying the developers, keep paying people who moderate the community, and ban people who deserve to be banned

free to play and expecting whales to keep you afloat (lol pun) is short term thinking

pay once and don't pay again works until its super cheap and then you just have repeat offenders buying alt accounts

also 6v6 sucks and it's the reason i'm most worried about the new x wing game

24v24 should be the smallest teams possible in an FPS this decade

put me in charge of a company thanks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So through a combination of my enforced break from this thread and just going off to play Mystery Heroes* for a while(a lot harder to get mad at my teammates when everything is random), I think I've found my Zen again, probably going to just avoid competitive for the rest of the season and try from scratch next season(maybe try and find a group so it's a less painful experience)

*still think they need to change this mode up so that A) duplicate heroes isn't possible, B) that the randomizing algorithm is changed to ensure that teams always have at least one character of each role, and C) some Ult charge is retained between each life even though you're switching heroes, basically all changes meant to reduce the odds of games getting stonewalled or steamrolled because one team lucked into getting a double Bastion and Double Shield lineup

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Guigui posted:

... And I think that's a difference between, say, playing TF2 as a Heavy with a master spy on the opposing team Autobalance will scramble te teams randomly, and generally you will have a mix of bad players and really really good ones. You can learn tips and trivks while actively playing with, or against a great player.

Watching the pros play is one thing - being able to play with (or against) is another...

This is why I played 800 hours of TF2 in half the time I've put 400 into OW2. I miss the Lost Continents so drat much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
i say there's hope

half life alyx happened

they will make another FPS or they'll lose all the players to other things

(except they still have steam so maybe they dont give a poo poo)