Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when android added "wipe the drive after too many pin failures" there was a bug on a google phone where it was waking up in peoples pockets and activating the wipe from butt-dials :nsa:

SH/SC -> Yospos -> SecFuck M/T v18.5 - I wiped my phone with Butt-Dials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jabor posted:

right, but you'd think that the only way to get it that high would have required waiting half that amount of time to put in the final failed attempt

oh right i forgot about the part where the lockout locks you out :eng99:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when android added "wipe the drive after too many pin failures" there was a bug on a google phone where it was waking up in peoples pockets and activating the wipe from butt-dials :nsa:

this routinely burned me with my blackberry circa 2001

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

this routinely burned me with my blackberry circa 2001

i mean you used a blackberry

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

it was the style at the time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Michaellaneous posted:

I still miss the keyboard, but also the 850 was the state of the goddamn art for wireless email at the time.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ymgve posted:

how the gently caress does that even happen, I thought the lockout time doubled each time, not went superexponential

IIRC the battery drained completely so now the iPad thinks it's 1970 and ~50 years off the timestamp that the kid really go to by doubling.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

taqueso posted:

it was the style at the time

Then why wasn't it tied to their belt? :colbert:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Michaellaneous posted:

ive heard of rear end wipes but this is ridiculous

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Michaellaneous posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Michaellaneous posted:

so did everyone else in canada in the early 2000s

a lot of them didn't stop after 2010 either

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

my curve still works and it does what i need it to do, which is flash a red light and buzz when i need to check my email on a computer

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Proteus Jones posted:

Then why wasn't it tied to their belt? :colbert:

there's a good chance it was, that was the peak era for phone belt-holsters

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1290366827713814528

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Question time for my secfuck fam. I do not own a printer and I want to print out sensitive documents. I am hesitant to use a communal printer because I am very suspicious of the security of printer firmware. Does anyone have any knowledge or understanding of this in order to educate me further? Or perhaps link to literature so that I may educate myself a little bit more about what the risks are?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hypothetically, do you think it's more likely that you will be owned by the printer firmware (or just regular-rear end document retention settings), or by the device you use to print to the communal printer?

mystes
May 31, 2006

CmdrRiker posted:

Question time for my secfuck fam. I do not own a printer and I want to print out sensitive documents. I am hesitant to use a communal printer because I am very suspicious of the security of printer firmware. Does anyone have any knowledge or understanding of this in order to educate me further? Or perhaps link to literature so that I may educate myself a little bit more about what the risks are?
What to you specifically have in mind? Connecting your own computer to the printer? Connecting your own usb stick to the printer? Using a shared computer to print to the communal printer?

The last is by far the most dangerous, btw. Never log into your email account from a shared computer (e.g. in a hotel lobby).

The chance that your computer is going to be compromised by a malicious printer is probably not that high.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

if your documents are so sensitive that you’re seriously worried about hacked firmware go to staples and buy the cheapest usb printer they have and plug that directly into your computer. the $200 is cheap insurance against that threat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CmdrRiker posted:

if the documents are that sensitive you should have policies about which printers to use

if there are no policies the documents are not actually that sensitive and you should be fine because the NSA already has your social security number

mystes
May 31, 2006

Probably don't leave a copy of your bank statement on a usb drive you plug into a communal printer when you go to print cat pictures, though.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

infernal machines posted:

hypothetically, do you think it's more likely that you will be owned by the printer firmware (or just regular-rear end document retention settings), or by the device you use to print to the communal printer?

The former and I feel like a loving idiot for not considering the latter. So I suppose I am concerned for both now and I should just buy my own printer.

But I would like to know more about the former. I did a little reading in the past about how it is not a good idea to print out 2FA backup codes on, say, even your work printer. But now I am curious and would like to know more about what goes on with most printer firmware.

e: Additionally, I am also annoyed about clinics wanting to scan my driver's license and insurance card. For the same reasons. But I don't really say anything about it because I wonder if I am being too :tinfoil:.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 5, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

CmdrRiker posted:

The former and I feel like a loving idiot for not considering the latter. So I suppose I am concerned for both now and I should just buy my own printer.

But I would like to know more about the former. I did a little reading in the past about how it is not a good idea to print out 2FA backup codes on, say, even your work printer. But now I am curious and would like to know more about what goes on with most printer firmware.

e: Additionally, I am also annoyed about clinics wanting to scan my driver's license and insurance card. For the same reasons. But I don't really say anything about it because I wonder if I am being too .
You almost definitely don't have to worry about malicious printer firmware. It's a theoretical risk and it could become more of a problem in the future if printers start to run real OSes or something, but at this point you can basically ignore it unless you're worried about the NSA in which case you have bigger problems.

Companies scanning and retaining your personal information is more of an issue (not because of malicious scanners) but there's basically nothing you can do about it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

multifunction devices tend to be less "printer" and more "maybe-unpatchable-and-certainly-unpatched windows xp computer with a printer attached to it", with all the fun that entails. we've had some fail their VAs (and send me on building-to-building searches to unplug the drat things), and if the machine was installed by an idiot then anyone who can google the default password can http/telnet into it and upload whatever weird firmware they want to

oh and i guess you could pop the drive out of an mfd and reconstruct the images from the last few things it's printed, unless it has an encryption module [correctly-]installed

but infernal machines is 100% correct in telling you that the most credible threat will be from the network between you and the printer, then its print server, THEN the printer itself

e:

mystes posted:

You almost definitely don't have to worry about malicious printer firmware. It's a theoretical risk and it could become more of a problem in the future if printers start to run real OSes or something, but at this point you can basically ignore it unless you're worried about the NSA in which case you have bigger problems.

by "we" here i mean my own personal opinions about my government employer who really does need protection from these threats; you very likely do not

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 5, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CmdrRiker posted:

I did a little reading in the past about how it is not a good idea to print out 2FA backup codes on, say, even your work printer.

not really sure how that kind of attack would work, like even if you could tell that "this page of random numbers and letters is a set of 2FA codes" you'd then have to figure out who they belong to and what account they go to with no other information to go off of.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Midjack posted:

if your documents are so sensitive that you’re seriously worried about hacked firmware go to staples and buy the cheapest usb printer they have and plug that directly into your computer. the $200 is cheap insurance against that threat.

Agreed. Thank you.

mystes posted:

Companies scanning and retaining your personal information is more of an issue (not because of malicious scanners) but there's basically nothing you can do about it.

OK. Fair. But still buying a printer, I guess.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

not really sure how that kind of attack would work, like even if you could tell that "this page of random numbers and letters is a set of 2FA codes" you'd then have to figure out who they belong to and what account they go to with no other information to go off of.
Well I mean maybe don't print it out with your username, password, and then name of the site on it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CmdrRiker posted:

OK. Fair. But still buying a printer, I guess.
I still don't know what sort of shared printer situation you're talking about, but depending, you could easily expose yourself to much bigger risks than the actual printer being compromised, so it's not necessarily a bad idea. Anyway, even if you don't print that much stuff it can be a serious pain in the rear end not have a printer when you need it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently most big office printers have a surprisingly big hard drive (because storage is cheap) and they don't bother deleting any files sent to the printer until it actually fills up. Which is thousands and thousands of pages.

It is possible to wipe the disk but you have to be aware that this is even an issue, or you won't think of it.

People have gotten rather sensitive documents off a printer's hard drive after buying it second-hand from some company. Including legal stuff and government stuff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Apparently most big office printers have a surprisingly big hard drive (because storage is cheap) and they don't bother deleting any files sent to the printer until it actually fills up. Which is thousands and thousands of pages.

It is possible to wipe the disk but you have to be aware that this is even an issue, or you won't think of it.

People have gotten rather sensitive documents off a printer's hard drive after buying it second-hand from some company. Including legal stuff and government stuff.
You should avoid getting sensitive information near your work computer/email/whatever anyway, because otherwise even if nothing gets compromised, if your company gets sued random people might end up reading it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
if they get your mfa seed it's fine because you have 2fa enabled on your account (the password),

mystes
May 31, 2006

In general, worrying about someone getting your personal 2FA recovery codes from your work printer or something is probably silly anyway. The chance that someone comes across that information and bothers trying to put it together with other information that would be necessary to gain access to your account seems pretty small. It's a bit like worrying that if you store a hardcopy backup of passwords in your house, a burglar might find and use them.

Edit: The moral of the story is to consider what your threat model is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

really stealing your phone number and getting the 2fa removed from the account is far easier and more realistic. thats how a bunch of bitcoins get stolen

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

at this point why not take some time to write the 2fa recovery codes on a piece of paper? idk this may be a dumb suggestion if this means writing down a even a kilobyte of base64 or something

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this counts as SecFuck but my multifunction printer runs a web UI for administration, the problem is that it's lovely code that causes Javascript errors in any modern browser and probably hardly worked on IE 8 to begin with. I had to reverse engineer their Javascript and run proper code line by line in the console to set it up and now I'm just hoping not to use it again.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

print every other character on one printer and then take the paper and put it in a different printer in another location and print only the missing characters

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I don't have any links, but adversarial firmware on a printer isn't generally in my threat model for personal docs. Printers aren't expensive, though :shrug:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

have someone that you trust (maybe a close friend) carry a printer over to your home or wherever you need it printed

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 5, 2020

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Last Chance posted:

have someone that you trust (maybe a close friend) carry a printer over to your home or wherever you need it printed

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Last Chance posted:

hugging optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
The biggest risk for a communal printer is that somebody walks by and looks at your docs before you grab them imo