Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can someone explain how making custom Wii and GameCube injects works on Wii U? Are the games installed on the Wii U side? Can I use both GameCube controllers and the Wii U Gamepad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I'd like to know more about gamecube injects, as well. Especially if it means I dont' have to boot into Nintendon't to play them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I'd like to know more about gamecube injects, as well. Especially if it means I dont' have to boot into Nintendon't to play them.

Being able to install everything on the Wii U side would also save me from having to use 2 hard drives as well. Apparently it also works with WiiWare games. It would loving own to be able to play those with the gamepad.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can someone explain how making custom Wii and GameCube injects works on Wii U? Are the games installed on the Wii U side? Can I use both GameCube controllers and the Wii U Gamepad?

It is possible - I've got a few gamecube games installed that way. It installs on the Wii U side but points to the nintendont loader I think? And you can change a setting so that it works using the wii u gamepad as a controller input.

I installed it all ages ago so I can't remember how it's done but it's on gbatemp sonehwere, I'll try to find it later if I remember!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/
found it

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Not the Messiah posted:

It is possible - I've got a few gamecube games installed that way. It installs on the Wii U side but points to the nintendont loader I think? And you can change a setting so that it works using the wii u gamepad as a controller input.

I installed it all ages ago so I can't remember how it's done but it's on gbatemp sonehwere, I'll try to find it later if I remember!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/
found it

I've only ever gotten a black screen trying to boot GC injections created with this thing...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Keito posted:

I've only ever gotten a black screen trying to boot GC injections created with this thing...

Ah, Eternal Darkness

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Injects to the SD card are nice because then you only need one hard drive and don't need to swap them like I do (one drive for WiiU games and another for GC/Wii). As well as the huge benefit of being able to play Wii and GC games on the actual WiiU game pad.

However I ultimately decided against it because there's way too many good WiiU, Wii, WiiWare and GameCube games to fit on a single 256GB sd card or whatever. Not to mention the WiiU home screen has a limit of how many titles you can fit on it at once. I guess you more or less have to pick your poison but that's why I decided against the SD card injects. Just giving my two cents to help you make your decision.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks.

Another question, are there any good ways to play homebrew Quake 1 on a Wii U? I know there’s Wii ports but what about Wii U?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wii U, the system everyone hated so much, no one ever bothered porting Doom to it. And they ported Doom to LG fridges!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love my Wii U.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Except for the whole it doesn't have any games thing, I don't think WiiU owners were displeased with their console. All both of us.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3D World got me through a lot. It’s seriously one of the best Mario’s.

I also played BOTW for the first time on Wii U so I can’t fault it too much.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Wii U is good and it has many great games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Some Goon posted:

Except for the whole it doesn't have any games thing, I don't think WiiU owners were displeased with their console. All both of us.

It had a ton of good games. It’s just easy to forget now that almost all of them are on Switch now. 3D World is the last one pretty much.

I’ll be keeping mine for Wii, GameCube and emulation.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

It had a ton of good games. It’s just easy to forget now that almost all of them are on Switch now. 3D World is the last one pretty much.

I’m trying to think about my collection of WiiU games and you might be right. Well, there’s Nintendoland, but I think only my sister and I liked it (and she only liked the Zelda game).

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I've pretty much forgotten my Switch at this point since Nintendo's done little but rerelease Wii U games for three years :saddowns:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Keito posted:

I've pretty much forgotten my Switch at this point since Nintendo's done little but rerelease Wii U games for three years :saddowns:

"Hey guys, here's Pikmin 3, full price!"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The games might as well be new for most people, so I understand why they're selling them at full price. Mario Kart 8 sold insanely well for being on Wii U but it's still sold almost 4 times as much on Switch. Pretty much every other port has sold much better too.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 5, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Even with CFW all I've really used my wii u for was when I got it originally for Wind Waker HD tbh, then it just kind of was the bedroom netflix machine, since all the Wii/GC homebrew stuff can be run from a Wii exactly the same with fewer steps (and the GBA link cable doesn't work on the Wii U)

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Wii U, the system everyone hated so much, no one ever bothered porting Doom to it. And they ported Doom to LG fridges!

Is there a proper Wii Doom port that works fine on the Wii U?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

A good poster posted:

Is there a proper Wii Doom port that works fine on the Wii U?

Mostly. Gamepad doesn't work with it though.

https://github.com/smitnich/WiiDoom-Fork

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiDoom

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Some Goon posted:

They solved the Wii's shovelware problem by making a machine even shovelware devs stayed away from. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

3D World, Maiden of Black Water, Xenoblade X and uhh..I guess Star Fox Zero/Guard are all that's left as far as Nintendo properties go I think.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Paper Mario Color Splash, too. I know most people kinda ignored it but it's not bad if you set aside your expectations of what a Paper Mario should be.

Technically there's also Nintendoland but that's kinda impossible to port to anything.

Other Nintendo WiiU stuff that exists but is very unlikely to be ported (and probably doesn't really need to be, to be honest):
- Kirby Rainbow Curse
- Yoshi Wooly World (this has a 3DS port)
- Zelda Wind Waker HD
- Zelda Twilight Princess HD
- Mario Tennis
- Mario Party 10
- Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
- Game & Wario
- Wii Sports Club I guess???

e: Looked up a list, we all forgot the acclaimed Devil's Third! There's also a few more minor things but nothing particularly interesting.

You could make arguments that Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Smash on Switch aren't quite the same as the WiiU versions but eh.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 7, 2020

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess should get a double pack rerelease

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They will be separate and they will each cost $60 might as well accept it now

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

TP needs an OoT 3D style update to it's models, the high res textures on the low poly models just look strange.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Paper Mario Color Splash, too. I know most people kinda ignored it but it's not bad if you set aside your expectations of what a Paper Mario should be.

Technically there's also Nintendoland but that's kinda impossible to port to anything.

Other Nintendo WiiU stuff that exists but is very unlikely to be ported (and probably doesn't really need to be, to be honest):
- Kirby Rainbow Curse
- Yoshi Wooly World (this has a 3DS port)
- Zelda Wind Waker HD
- Zelda Twilight Princess HD
- Mario Tennis
- Mario Party 10
- Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
- Game & Wario
- Wii Sports Club I guess???

e: Looked up a list, we all forgot the acclaimed Devil's Third! There's also a few more minor things but nothing particularly interesting.

You could make arguments that Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Smash on Switch aren't quite the same as the WiiU versions but eh.

Wooly World is possible but I'm doubtful they'd do it now that there is a Yoshi game on the switch. Likely bets now are 3d world, the Zelda remasters, and maybe Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

WilliamAnderson posted:

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess should get a double pack rerelease

They should do exactly this, but remove Twilite Princess

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

they should release a collection of all three versions of Twilight Princess

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I borrowed my brother's Wii U to play Pikmin 3 but the battery life on the controller was so short I never really felt like playing it, so it's cool they're re-releasing it.

Probably won't buy it for full price though. I felt like it was missing something 1 and 2 had.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Acerbatus posted:

I borrowed my brother's Wii U to play Pikmin 3 but the battery life on the controller was so short I never really felt like playing it, so it's cool they're re-releasing it.

Probably won't buy it for full price though. I felt like it was missing something 1 and 2 had.

There's a ton of empty space in the WiiU tablet battery spot and Nintendo did make a bigger battery that doubled the battery life.

Kinda hosed up it didn't just come with it in the first place. There's a huge gap meant for it lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

There's a ton of empty space in the WiiU tablet battery spot and Nintendo did make a bigger battery that doubled the battery life.

Kinda hosed up it didn't just come with it in the first place. There's a huge gap meant for it lol

Do they still sell it anywhere? I think it’s time I replace my 8 year old gamepad battery so I might as well get the better one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there any reason to leave my New 3DS unhomebrewed in 2020?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do they still sell it anywhere? I think it’s time I replace my 8 year old gamepad battery so I might as well get the better one.

Len posted:

No, and no.

You can buy third party WiiU batteries but I have no idea how good they are. I just consider it a wired device anymore, the cord is long enough and the range short enough it doesn't really matter.

For the 3DS, even if you never do any homebrew the ability to turn on New mode (faster CPU, more cache) in non-New games means you can do things like play Pokemon with the 3D on and not have your framerate tank.

E:vvvv well now..

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 9, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo unfortunately stopped selling it but you can buy one on eBay for cheap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202672025298

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Len posted:

Honestly everyone should do it at this point. Some of the exploit methods are easier on older firmware versions too, so if haven't upgraded recently just start off following the guide and it might have you exploit first and update after.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly everyone should do it at this point. Some of the exploit methods are easier on older firmware versions too, so if haven't upgraded recently just start off following the guide and it might have you exploit first and update after.

I was hesitant when i still played Monster Hunter on it but i've upgraded to the Switch port. Presumably there's no possible issue with it banning my Nintendo Account entirely is there? I would be super salty if i lost my Switch stuff

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

I was hesitant when i still played Monster Hunter on it but i've upgraded to the Switch port. Presumably there's no possible issue with it banning my Nintendo Account entirely is there? I would be super salty if i lost my Switch stuff

I've never heard of someone getting their Switch stuff banned because of a hack they did on a 3DS.

Not to mention they ban consoles, not accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They only ban the console itself if they detect homebrew, my 3DS got banned and the linked account still works on the Switch. Besides there hasn't been a 3DS ban wave for ages.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Not to mention they ban consoles, not accounts.

I think they do ban at the account level for cheating, but it just locks you out of multiplayer for that specific game. They don't nuke your whole account unless you're doing chargebacks or credit card fraud.

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 9, 2020