Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.jcwi.org.uk/news/we-won-home-office-to-stop-using-racist-visa-algorithm

The Home Office hosed up here by having and "expert" systems type thing which was obviously racist, rather than some black box ml model which was also obviously racist as it used a history of home office decisions to train on, but you could maybe convince a court otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
in order to proactively address the forecasted scourge of bot-generated content that will sweep the internet some new rules will be introduced for pstoing:

- all p0sts must be over 2048 words long, the approximate context window gpt-3 can keep track of. this number will be increased in the future as technology progresses
- pists must always end with a logical conclusion based on premises introduced throughout that pot, to further test comprehension of your own text
- postos should reference recent events and knowledge, preferably newer than a week, to require continuous retraining of models
- pick a word and consistently misspell it throughout the pst but never repeat the same spelling twice, we believe this will be hard for the current models to replicate
- if possible have two trusted forums members vouch that they watched you type out your ospt
- any self-contradiction will now be bannable as these kind of logic errors are common in neural network generated texts
- be sure to attend your local pgp key signing party in prepratation for web of trust which will be mainstream any day now

thus pasts should from now have word count above or equal to us covid deaths last weekend, or 75% of the tons of ammonium nitrate exploded in beirut, in order to combat bots and computer generated text
thank you for your cooperation in keeping the forums clean and remember to press he report pxst button if you spot any nonhuman behaviour

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you fool! you've created a simple list of instructions for a machine to follow to slip through your net!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
what we really need is a machine learning model that can be used to distinguish human posts from machine-generated posts

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

what we really need is a machine learning model that can be used to distinguish human posts from machine-generated posts

the halting turing dilemma

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

eschaton posted:

you cant just delete all amberpos posters

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I for one welcome

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ramencult/status/1291527621222600704

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I joined the ML group in a non-ML driven org (doing things that aren't ML) and the product people keep asking me for ideas on what we can use ML to solve.

We're overfitting ML to problems. :smith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

leper khan posted:

I joined the ML group in a non-ML driven org (doing things that aren't ML) and the product people keep asking me for ideas on what we can use ML to solve.

this is the entire industry, our whole product group got a "machine learning" mbo for the year

we do financial software, the one thing our clients don't want is unpredictable results, like they pay us millions of dollars to get only exactly what they want

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

leper khan posted:

make the ultimate poker bot

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

qirex posted:

this is the entire industry, our whole product group got a "machine learning" mbo for the year

we do financial software, the one thing our clients don't want is unpredictable results, like they pay us millions of dollars to get only exactly what they want

just fit a l1 regularized logistic regression model to whatever they want, thats machine learning and is far more likely to give accurate results than whatever deep learning neural network stuff they probalby have in mind

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

leper khan posted:

Sounds like you need to hire an ideas man.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

leper khan posted:

make a webpage that says "gently caress you" louder the more recently you visited it

see how long it takes for them to catch on

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bragging that you only were 50% confident the cat was covid lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

50.1% is pretty much fully confident. that cat is a shapeshifting 50/50 herpes/covid-19 mimic prokaryote

elon voice: "i say we nuke it from orbit" *ch-chunk whirrrrr*

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Does catte has COVID?

:ohdear:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

stop

posting

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It seems like nasal swab would be v.difficult to get from catte?

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

50.1% is pretty much fully confident. that cat is a shapeshifting 50/50 herpes/covid-19 mimic prokaryote

elon voice: "i say we nuke it from orbit" *ch-chunk whirrrrr*

the whole "logits correspond to confidence levels" thing is pretty suspect

like you train the model to output 1 for the correct label and 0 for the other ones, usually with some sort of mean squared error. that's extremely not the same as outputting actual probabilities

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Since the thread seems to mostly be talking about industry, what's ml been like in academia? Genuinely interested.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Winner's Curse? On Pace, Progress, and Empirical Rigor
Troubling Trends in Machine Learning Scholarship

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

animist posted:

the whole "logits correspond to confidence levels" thing is pretty suspect

like you train the model to output 1 for the correct label and 0 for the other ones, usually with some sort of mean squared error. that's extremely not the same as outputting actual probabilities

nah that's a fine interpretation for a logit - you're explicitly modelling Pr(Y = 1 | X).

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

BrokenGameboy posted:

Since the thread seems to mostly be talking about industry, what's ml been like in academia? Genuinely interested.

https://www.ml.cmu.edu/ is doing fantastically well

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

nah that's a fine interpretation for a logit - you're explicitly modelling Pr(Y = 1 | X).

But is your model any good? Just cause you predict probabilities doesn't mean that your predictions aren't terrible.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ofc, but "is your model appropriate for the situation you're applying it to" and "assuming the model is appropriate and correctly specified, how do you interpret its output" are two separate questions.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can we train machines on songs ?

https://open.spotify.com/track/57u4RUJ7PG5V7es1BRvv1L?si=--mq5wANRx63XAYBG86S_A

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

pretty sure you are training the machine just by clicking play, spotify is going to inject farts into your "made for you" playlists forever now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i tried to hit play on that track many times on my gfs spotify during 2019 so her most played list would have two hours of farts over 2000!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i failed. probably for the best

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BrokenGameboy posted:

academia doesn’t do machine learning, that’s an industry thing

academia does artificial intelligence

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

eschaton posted:

idk how common this is but a few years ago i wrote some ml poo poo for a dry lab in college cuz i needed some money. i could see how research groups in a bunch of different fields would put a fancy buzzword on their grant apps to get more funding

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

I mean, I get the joke, but has there been anything interesting regarding AI - - broad definition - - that hasn't been machine learning lately?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

what like expert systems

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think there's still a lot going on in the planning and decision making categories, but a lot of that stuff isn't branded so much as AI. I don't really follow specifics but I think that recent advances in algebraic topology have had a big impact on route planning and similar problems.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is such an open-ended question, but i have in the past commented on how ml has opened up nlp research a lot.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
lets train our ai on reddit whats the
https://twitter.com/abidlabs/status/1291165311329341440
oh

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
it's just the training data, silly, and besides there's a disclaimer
*5 minutes later*
check this out i wrote a sentencing predictor by feeding a 5-word prompt into gpt-3. is this the future of governance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/paulnovosad/status/1292963252096376839