Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
12/10 Man Tag
Swole vs Reba
Best Friends vs The Best
Mox vs Darby
View Results

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there's so much here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

dark order are lovable losers with a really intense dad

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

I mean part of the whole deal is that the women out there that are "available" have to want to be signed. They can't just go out there and catch them with a big butterfly net

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

There are still plenty of women wrestlers to be recruited. Allie Kat, although there would be some discomfort personal life wise, would be a unique and good get. Scour the indies, there are PLENTY of Women available, I agree with the criticisms that AEW should be making a better effort, and it does look like they're starting to with this new tournament.

Allie Kat needs more work than most of the women they are focused on, let her work intergender in GCW and see if she figures it out instead of putting her on TV to fail.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

On the other hand, they are doing this 16 woman tournament that is likely an extended tryout for a bunch of people and we still don't know who like half the competitors are. Could be some interesting experienced selections in there if available.

It's also a good way to give some of the less-experienced women some ring time, but they're in a tag so the more experienced people can hide weaknesses if necessary. I think that's a good step and I genuinely enjoyed the episode we've seen so far.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

There are still plenty of women wrestlers to be recruited. Allie Kat, although there would be some discomfort personal life wise, would be a unique and good get. Scour the indies, there are PLENTY of Women available, I agree with the criticisms that AEW should be making a better effort, and it does look like they're starting to with this new tournament.

I'd love Allie Kat in AEW, but she's got a long, long, long ways to go in the ring. But there are a good handful of vets out there like Nicole Savoy and Allysin Kay (probably? whatever NWA's status is?). Ashley Vox and Delmi Exo.

There's a lot of women wrestlers stateside with potential, but I can't really think of any at the moment who'd be on par with Shida or even some of the top tier WWE/NXT women.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Allie Kat is worse than the Allie they already have under contract

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i def think they messed up not signing mercedes martinez when they had the chance but my guess is wwe had feelers on her for a while and kept telling her "a contract is coming just keep waiting" and only offered it after she did an appearance for aew

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

chuck and trent trying to get trents mom out of a cult she's not aware she's in would be absolutely riveting content

BTE segment where Mr. Brodie tries to get Trent's mom to go to his private office for a special shooreh pippi and Trent freaks out

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

i def think they messed up not signing mercedes martinez when they had the chance but my guess is wwe had feelers on her for a while and kept telling her "a contract is coming just keep waiting" and only offered it after she did an appearance for aew

Agreed 10000%. I think it's either that or she's happy with the, I assume, player-coach role she'll slot into like Chris Hero did.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

JOHN CENA posted:

Signing someone to a contract isn’t a unilateral process and you can’t necessarily blame AEW if someone prefers to sign with WWE.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think it's just hard to balance all the people they need to get on tv with only two hours of weekly tv time. It's hard when there's just so many different people who absolutely need to be on tv every week if they want to compete with the Trump Fundraiser in the ratings. Like I absolutely do not want a three hour dynamite but I think the women would get better exposure with that bit more of breathing room.

That being said every week there's at least one little segment or moment on tv where I think "they could have conceivably not done this and had a women's segment instead and the show would have been better off for it. No excuse not to prominently have Shida or Nyla on the show every week.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

there's so much here

where did you get the championship belt platinum user icon, that's awesome :stare:

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 6, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

JOHN CENA posted:

A lot of the wrestlers people think AEW "whiffed on" (Jake Atlas, Shotzi Blackheart) already had handshake deals from WWE and were essentially working the indies as a ringer before they officially signed. I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez was in the same boat.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

JOHN CENA posted:

This mentality is really silly. "Scour the indies! Sign the women!" The poster above referring to a butterfly net is correct - you don't just scour for people you want to sign and magically sign them. It's a complex process and there might not be anyone available right now who is ready to be a draw and go on TV and wrestle with experience that is also without a contract and willing to go to AEW. I don't think we know anything about what goes on behind the scenes with contracts and scouting, and to assume AEW isn't trying is a weird stance to take. It's an unfortunate situation with the pandemic and the injuries right now, and the fact is, there are only a certain amount of women on the roster who are popular enough and good enough in the ring to warrant being on Dynamite every week and the tag team tournament is trying to change that by pushing up a bunch of newer women. Dark has been doing that too.

There is also the time limit thing - the PPV is in a month and there are a ton of storylines building that all of us want to see. If we got, say, a KiLynn vs. Diamante match on Dynamite, do you really want that to box out time for Scorpio Sky or MJF or Orange Cassidy or Lance Archer? AEW is pretty stacked and barely have enough time to feature all of their most popular wrestlers each week, male and female.

These calls every week of "more women more women dammit AEW find a woman and put her on TV" are getting weird, and I have been loving the talent in the women's division. It's just a tough problem to solve and balance for everything else when you have a really depleted women's roster at the moment.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Cavauro posted:

sue should go around doing mlm poo poo in backstage skits

:agreed:

She should do this but also start slowing picking off members of The Dark Order into her MLM scheme.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The Dark Order crosses Nyla Rose -again- when Dark Sue gets Vickie caught up in her MLM

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i don't know what the women's division needs aside from more talent and more air time (both of which are interdependent) but god it just sucks how it was really starting to catch hard when COVID started and then like back to back injuries on major players

Nyla vs Shida was loving special and i feel like AEW can do right by everyone and the women's talent but there's so much against them right now, bleh.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Benne posted:

From where? The indie scene was depleted long before COVID, and unless you're cool with pulling an NXT UK and strip-mining the joshi scene, overseas talent is a longshot as well.

I honestly think they're doing fine with what they have. Shida is one of the best wrestlers in the company and rightful champ, Nyla is still featured, they managed to keep Britt hot while injured, and Swole/Ford/Anna Jay are on the up-and-up. There's a lot of potential people miss because they're too busy getting mad that we don't have 30 women's matches every week.

I think they hosed up by not prioritizing the division more from the beginning, relying on part-time talent and not building up nearly as much depth as they did for the men. The pandemic obviously exacerbated things big time, but it was an issue before any travel restrictions happened.

I think they also hosed up by not showing more of a sense of urgency to add talent this year, starting with when it became obvious the Nightmare Collective was DOA. People have thrown out the names of women who are still available right now, and I just straight up don't buy that AEW didn't have the resources to lure quality wrestlers away from non-WWE promotions over the past year+.

People laughed at me when I complained about them not signing Deonna Purrazzo, but she walked into a promotion with a heads-and-shoulders deeper women's division and immediately became a convincing presence at the top of the card. My point then wasn't that Deonna Purrazzo is some can't-miss-kick-yourself-for-missing talent, but that things are so dire right now that you need to pounce on any decent opportunity you have to help you weather the storm. Each additional solid woman's wrestler is incredibly valuable for the watchability of your product.

I don't think they're incapable of putting together a quality women's division, and again, these are obviously legitimately challenging circumstances. I just don't think they've shown anything to earn the benefit of the doubt, and we're coming up on a year straight of "just give them time to build up the women; they've had bad luck" as an excuse

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

NienNunb posted:

That being said every week there's at least one little segment or moment on tv where I think "they could have conceivably not done this and had a women's segment instead and the show would have been better off for it. No excuse not to prominently have Shida or Nyla on the show every week.

This is pretty fair as a criticism. I think at the very least they need Shida back on TV next week pronto after her open challenge promo and with the PPV in a month. They need to build her and Nyla again and they should start now. It could be a 20 second segment and you could make MJF's political back room thing slightly shorter and it wouldn't have missed much of a beat.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

where did you get the championship belt platinum user icon, that's awesome :stare:

im da champ

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

xbilkis posted:

I think they hosed up by not prioritizing the division more from the beginning, relying on part-time talent and not building up nearly as much depth as they did for the men. The pandemic obviously exacerbated things big time, but it was an issue before any travel restrictions happened.

I think they also hosed up by not showing more of a sense of urgency to add talent this year, starting with when it became obvious the Nightmare Collective was DOA. People have thrown out the names of women who are still available right now, and I just straight up don't buy that AEW didn't have the resources to lure quality wrestlers away from non-WWE promotions over the past year+.

People laughed at me when I complained about them not signing Deonna Purrazzo, but she walked into a promotion with a heads-and-shoulders deeper women's division and immediately became a convincing presence at the top of the card. My point then wasn't that Deonna Purrazzo is some can't-miss-kick-yourself-for-missing talent, but that things are so dire right now that you need to pounce on any decent opportunity you have to help you weather the storm. Each additional solid woman's wrestler is incredibly valuable for the watchability of your product.

I don't think they're incapable of putting together a quality women's division, and again, these are obviously legitimately challenging circumstances. I just don't think they've shown anything to earn the benefit of the doubt, and we're coming up on a year straight of "just give them time to build up the women; they've had bad luck" as an excuse

I'm far from an expert and you could certainly be right, but as someone who hadn't watched wrestling since maybe 2005, I was loving the women's division earlier this year. Shida, Nyla, Riho, Sakazaki, Swole, Britt, Statlander, Ford is a nice core.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Dango Bango posted:

:agreed:

She should do this but also start slowing picking off members of The Dark Order into her MLM scheme.

Just imagining Silver trying to convince Brodie Lee to buy some Herbalife supplements off him

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

I hope Brodie takes it easy on Silver on next BTE, he had a good performance even though he lost, he's only a kid after all

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

fawning deference posted:

I'm far from an expert and you could certainly be right, but as someone who hadn't watched wrestling since maybe 2005, I was loving the women's division earlier this year. Shida, Nyla, Riho, Sakazaki, Swole, Britt, Statlander, Ford is a nice core.

Yeah, and I think shuffling in whichever available joshi talent could have been a solid bridge to building up a core of full-timers if they thought that was the best approach with the free agents they had available from the jump. But Riho's restricted availability was something people critiqued throughout her run, and a lack of continuity among the part-timers wouldn't have been great for long-term storytelling even if things played out according to plan.

Like with a lot of the problems with the women's division, it really isn't a big deal taken on its own. I'm just frustrated because I think taken together, they indicate the company is doing a less-than-ideal job of prioritizing women's wrestling. I assume other people just think that they've caught a series of bad breaks, which is undeniably true, too.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Mox cut a little post-Dynamite promo, pretty predictable stuff, put over Darby and threatened MJF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcAqlZk-cN4

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

xbilkis posted:

For what it's worth, Purazzo has said that Impact swooped in her pretty quick and she went there because she basically wanted to re-find herself as a wrestler before going somewhere like AEW. And she'd love to go AEW in the future. Who knows if that still happens now that Impact basically put her on top right away (pretty quick after she started talking like they were just some kind of stepping stone), but the story she tells is pretty different than how people sort of assumed it went down.

quote:

"But I also think too for me, I don't want to... and it's funny now that we've seen my debut so this is kind of like contradictory to what I've done, but I want to get back to the wrestler I was before NXT, and I want to find myself again and find happiness and all of the things that as a performer I lacked when I was competing in NXT. I want to do that before I go somewhere that's as mainstream as AEW that has the critics of AEW. I don't want to go there and be exploring myself and kind of fall into the same role that I fell in in NXT. And luckily Impact is a place that understands who I am, is totally on board with what they think I can do and are willing to give me the time to the character development that I need."

Purrazzo continued and talked about possibly going to AEW in the future, noting that Impact is what she needed as a person and a wrestler right now.

"So I think all things considering, it just really worked out well there," she continued. "But who knows, you know? I would love to go to AEW. There's so many girls that I haven't gotten to work with, friends that are there and I love what they're doing with their women's division. It was just like a timing thing and I think what I need more as a person and a wrestler right now."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, and I think shuffling in whichever available joshi talent could have been a solid bridge to building up a core of full-timers if they thought that was the best approach with the free agents they had available from the jump. But Riho's restricted availability was something people critiqued throughout her run, and a lack of continuity among the part-timers wouldn't have been great for long-term storytelling even if things played out according to plan.

Like with a lot of the problems with the women's division, it really isn't a big deal taken on its own. I'm just frustrated because I think taken together, they indicate the company is doing a less-than-ideal job of prioritizing women's wrestling. I assume other people just think that they've caught a series of bad breaks, which is undeniably true, too.

What did her restricted availability hurt? She still had plenty of tremendous matches during her reign and Shida's challenge and first defense were both tremendous so we're getting really good top level matches. It's nice to have talent be able to cycle in and out so we don't get burned out seeing the same people every week. It's a shame a global pandemic screwed that up but hey, it has screwed up a few things.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Wasn't Riho their biggest female draw in terms of tv ratings?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

Wasn't Riho their biggest female draw in terms of tv ratings?

she was a very strong draw for the first few months of dynamite

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MassRafTer posted:

What did her restricted availability hurt? She still had plenty of tremendous matches during her reign and Shida's challenge and first defense were both tremendous so we're getting really good top level matches. It's nice to have talent be able to cycle in and out so we don't get burned out seeing the same people every week. It's a shame a global pandemic screwed that up but hey, it has screwed up a few things.

The matches have been good, the storylines and builds surrounding those matches have often been underwhelming. (I actually think the Riho availability stuff was overblown + the actual problem is that they couldn't find a way to effectively use their beloved babyface champ outside of the matches themselves, but I wanted to score a point so I went for it!)

I think if I respond to every single post about this, I'm going to make the thread even more unreadable than I already have. I'll just stop by saying I don't think anyone who's responded to me has made an unreasonable point, I'm just personally more critical than most people of how AEW has handled the women's division

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tony should just press the END COVID button and hire all the womens already, what's he fuckin waiting for?????????

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The biggest loss isn't the joshi it is we never got the debut of Big Mami.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The biggest loss isn't the joshi it is we never got the debut of Big Mami.

all I want in this world is for my wife Big Mami to challenge Shida for her belt and for Niño Hamburguesa to challenge Cody for his on the same night.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

I agree that the women's division was kind of hamstrung from the get go. When they lost Kylie Rae and the Kongs, the Nightmare Collective was a terrible course correction. So now the men's roster pretty stacked and no one wants an Orange Cassidy or a Brian Cage to lose air time. But yes, in general there's a segment per week that could be replaced, even in part, by a women's match.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw it is August and I am now going to begin my campaign for Jon Moxley: Wrestler of the Year 2020 and it will ramp up in obnoxiousness as we get closer to award season, so. Just a heads-up on that.

Anyway, Jon Moxley is the best wrestler of the year so far.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1291216683235975169

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MJeff posted:

btw it is August and I am now going to begin my campaign for Jon Moxley: Wrestler of the Year 2020 and it will ramp up in obnoxiousness as we get closer to award season, so. Just a heads-up on that.

Everyone is going to love him after he murders Wardlow and then knees the stupid smirk off MJF's face so that's going to be a really easy campaign.

And everyone will still stick up for Cody after he spears Cardona at the ppv

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

Kenny Omega has been so much better and it isn't even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Mox, shave your head. That's a losing battle up there, my man.