Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah Ive never seen it at a pump lol - Ive heard theres some race gas station down by laguna seca but its not like Im all the way down there very often.

There’s a 76? I think, in Redwood City that has 100, but it’s real expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Finally sold my 2005 B6 A4 back in April while sitting around bored in quarantine. Had some rust requiring body work and a worsening coolant leak from the rear flange--neither of which I wanted to fix myself or pay for again. Searched and searched for a new A4 with both Quattro and stick for two months, but no luck. Landed on a 2015 B8.5 A4 with an automatic transmission. I'm going to miss driving manual, but I guess I'm an old man now anyway with my tuning days behind me.

Here's to another 10 years of throwing money at this Brand, mostly because of how much I love the Torsen differential.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Got into it with a friend talking about this gas thing. I typically switch between Chevron or Costco gas depending on when I’m low. Friend is saying that Costco gas is inferior and I should stick with Chevron or Shell. Told this dude that I don’t even notice the difference between the three and that Costco is significantly cheaper like $3 vs $3.69. Who knew people were that passionate about gas?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Personally I am pretty insistent on Chevron only for my personal vehicles, but I also think it doesn't really matter that much in actuality but makes me feel better. Also they are 'local' and a close family friend has worked there for decades.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No freaking difference that anybody can back up in any way
Maybe there's a Project Farm video on it. That's it

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The additives barely make a difference if your engine uses direct injection because the fuel mixture isn't passing through the intake tract and over your valves. VAG motors I'm pretty sure use DI very frequently so I don't really think it matters. This is why carbon buildup can be a problem.

I use Chevron or Petro Canada but only because they don't use a ton of ethanol, other places up here use up to 20% or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I was working, I would always get gas at Casey's because it was around the corner. Now I fill up at a Shell station half way between my place and my parents' because it is a nice place to take a break from driving and because they give you a free Coke with a fillup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blakkout posted:

Finally sold my 2005 B6 A4 back in April while sitting around bored in quarantine. Had some rust requiring body work and a worsening coolant leak from the rear flange--neither of which I wanted to fix myself or pay for again. Searched and searched for a new A4 with both Quattro and stick for two months, but no luck. Landed on a 2015 B8.5 A4 with an automatic transmission. I'm going to miss driving manual, but I guess I'm an old man now anyway with my tuning days behind me.

Here's to another 10 years of throwing money at this Brand, mostly because of how much I love the Torsen differential.

Nice color combo.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Here in South Texas there are 2 places tanker trucks load gas. One is XOM, the other is everything else. It is literally the additives that are different.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Brand loyalty at the pump is small potatoes, I wanna hire the marketing genius who convinced people to fill their lawnmowers with $30/gal race fuel

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/501-premixed-small-engine-fuel/?c=232

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I've been like quasi toying with the idea of selling my manual B8.5 S4 at some point since apparently used car prices are up right now and it looks like it might be worth about 18k or so? It needs a clutch and some other stuff to the tune of about 3-4k and I'm not set-up to do that kind of work myself, plus the flywheel is like a $1k part by itself. I had originally planned to keep it for another couple years however until I got some things paid off when it'd probably be over 100k miles (its at 85k now) and would probably be worth like 10-12k Im guessing.

Basically I cant decide if paying for the work is worth it if itll depreciate a ton more in the next two years as it crests across 6 figure mileage or if its worth it to take the hit now, selling it when it needs work.

The other consideration is that it's my favorite car I've ever owned and I'd be without a manual in my life which would make me Sad. Admittedly, BECAUSE it needs work and I'm trying to keep the mileage down I hardly drive it anymore.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Uthor posted:

When I was working, I would always get gas at Casey's because it was around the corner. Now I fill up at a Shell station half way between my place and my parents' because it is a nice place to take a break from driving and because they give you a free Coke with a fillup.

Here's a comparison between Shell and Casey's.
https://youtu.be/8uIsbRaArvk
Tl:dw: the detergent in the Shell removed more grease from a dirty bolt suspended in it. Otherwise they were identical in performance.

Costco advertises themselves as a "top-tier" gasoline, if that means anything besides marketing speak, but I'm guessing the additive package is the same as any other mainstream brand.

You could buy more than a few cans of Techron or Seafoam etc with the money you save if you really want.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

I've been like quasi toying with the idea of selling my manual B8.5 S4...

The B8.5 S4 is a keeper imo. Timeless looks and they will never make that powertrain again. The B9 is underwhelming.
I'd find an independent shop and keep it running til you can go full electric.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Charles posted:

Here's a comparison between Shell and Casey's.
https://youtu.be/8uIsbRaArvk
Tl:dw: the detergent in the Shell removed more grease from a dirty bolt suspended in it. Otherwise they were identical in performance.

But Casey's has pretty good donuts and surprisingly good pizza (for a gas station).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

The other consideration is that it's my favorite car I've ever owned and I'd be without a manual in my life which would make me Sad. Admittedly, BECAUSE it needs work and I'm trying to keep the mileage down I hardly drive it anymore.
I had a B8.5 S4 and I have a B9 S5 now. The S5 has a lot of cool tech and is a more comfortable car but there are a lot of times I miss the S4.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah I mean I know I'd regret it. I just got promoted at work too but because we're in a COVID hiring freeze the promotion doesn't come with a raise (lol) - in the end I'd probably want to pick up like an E46 or E92 M3 as a weekend car but neither would be as fast this S4 is, plus the supercharger just sounds so cool! I have to admit I'm one of those unsophisticated plebs that can't really tell the sport diff is doing anything though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah I mean I know I'd regret it. I just got promoted at work too but because we're in a COVID hiring freeze the promotion doesn't come with a raise (lol) - in the end I'd probably want to pick up like an E46 or E92 M3 as a weekend car but neither would be as fast this S4 is, plus the supercharger just sounds so cool! I have to admit I'm one of those unsophisticated plebs that can't really tell the sport diff is doing anything though.
You’d notice it if it wasn’t there. I never really noticed it until I drove a base A4 as a loaner.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Charles posted:

Costco advertises themselves as a "top-tier" gasoline, if that means anything besides marketing speak, but I'm guessing the additive package is the same as any other mainstream brand.

Top-tier indicates it has more detergents, Shell qualifies as well. Triple A did a study indicating it makes a difference in carbon deposits: https://gasprices.aaa.com/fuel-quality/

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I went looking thru my camera roll for pics of my car to remind myself how much I like it. Found a bunch of my VW so I guess it holds top spot right now, and also this from my dashcam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVVZY9UDRJw

Edit: I really am happy with how the GSW ended up turning out

Double edit, had to go back to April to find one!!!

flightless greeb fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 5, 2020

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

I had a B8.5 S4 and I have a B9 S5 now. The S5 has a lot of cool tech and is a more comfortable car but there are a lot of times I miss the S4.

I went from a B8 to a B9 S4 and I really miss the B8 driving experience. If I'd been able to put 2019 tech in my 2012 car, keeping the power train and chassis, I'd have taken that deal in a heartbeat.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm trying to figure out why the base model golf hatchback is $2000 more expensive than the base sportwagen. Manufacturing location is the only thing I'm coming up with.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Withnail posted:

I'm trying to figure out why the base model golf hatchback is $2000 more expensive than the base sportwagen. Manufacturing location is the only thing I'm coming up with.

Maybe they'd rather be using that hatchback body to sell you a GTI? The GTI outsells the base model something like 3 to 1. Or maybe it's a fire sale on the sportwagen?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The sportwagen is discontinued so it could be that since they're probably trying to move them pretty hard at this point.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Sportwagen was also a very underwhelming car to me. I wonder how well it sold considering they’re discontinuing the model. Are they keeping the Alltrack?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

No I think they're both going, no more wagons for volkswagen!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

No I think they're both going, no more wagons for volkswagen!

*In the US: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28421961/volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-alltrack-discontinued/

I’ll scream into the void on my own.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's possible that the Mk. VIII Alltrack will come to the US but I think it's unlikely. That C&D article is just referencing Mk. VII which, yea, they aren't making more of them.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I am there with you.

The VW dealers by me have only Atlases, Touaregs, and GTIs and I am extremely disappointed.

Oh and the occasional Artreon.

Like, even Passats and Jettas are few and far between.

gently caress the US auto market.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Strange things are happening to my car, wondering if someone might be able to give me some better insight to the issue.

I drive my 2019 Tiguan into work and I park it in the lot. During lunch time, I go to my car and eat.

During this time I will intermittently hear a thumping noise. It feels like someone is knocking on a door. It's coming from behind my driver's passengers seat, in the wheel well area, so the trunk area. The noise also moves to the middle rear of the trunk. I've checked the area a few times and it sounds almost exactly like me hitting the wheel well. The wheel well is covered in this weird felt like material.

Originally I assumed that it's just some sort of module settling down since I kinda activate the car by being in it. But the noise is loud and doesn't sound mechanical at all. It sounds like I'm hitting my fist against the wheel well felt material. I assumed it was a rodent in the car, but my mechanic says he wasn't able to find anything.

I'm still hearing this noise and it's a different pattern every time. Any ideas? I probably need an exorcism on the car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

There's probably something loose behind the wheel well smacking against it as you drive. Did you take it to the dealer? If it's under warranty, they have 3 chances to fix it before you can lemon law it (depending on state, etc) so if they continue to not find anything, they'll get a little more serious next time around. Take a video of the noise and show the mechanic.

obi_ant posted:

driver's passengers seat

This is also confusing since those descriptors are usually talking about left and right sides of the car rather than front/rear. But you mean the driver's side rear wheel well area, yeah?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

obi_ant posted:

Strange things are happening to my car, wondering if someone might be able to give me some better insight to the issue.

I drive my 2019 Tiguan into work and I park it in the lot. During lunch time, I go to my car and eat.

During this time I will intermittently hear a thumping noise. It feels like someone is knocking on a door. It's coming from behind my driver's passengers seat, in the wheel well area, so the trunk area. The noise also moves to the middle rear of the trunk. I've checked the area a few times and it sounds almost exactly like me hitting the wheel well. The wheel well is covered in this weird felt like material.

Originally I assumed that it's just some sort of module settling down since I kinda activate the car by being in it. But the noise is loud and doesn't sound mechanical at all. It sounds like I'm hitting my fist against the wheel well felt material. I assumed it was a rodent in the car, but my mechanic says he wasn't able to find anything.

I'm still hearing this noise and it's a different pattern every time. Any ideas? I probably need an exorcism on the car.

This sounds normal. Most likely some kind of normal cycle like a fuel system leak check.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

There's probably something loose behind the wheel well smacking against it as you drive. Did you take it to the dealer? If it's under warranty, they have 3 chances to fix it before you can lemon law it (depending on state, etc) so if they continue to not find anything, they'll get a little more serious next time around. Take a video of the noise and show the mechanic.

This is also confusing since those descriptors are usually talking about left and right sides of the car rather than front/rear. But you mean the driver's side rear wheel well area, yeah?

This is after the car has been idle for about 4 hours. Didn’t bring it to a dealer, brought it over to my mechanic that I see all the time. The dealers in my area has lost a lot of talent over the years. Also yeah, driver’s side, rear wheel well. I’ll try and get a voice or video recording.

Styles Bitchley posted:

This sounds normal. Most likely some kind of normal cycle like a fuel system leak check.

I assume that it’s turning on and/or checking because I’m in the car, and I’ve probably activated something?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

obi_ant posted:

I assume that it’s turning on and/or checking because I’m in the car, and I’ve probably activated something?

It could be. I know there are things that come on on some cars even just opening the door, and some checks or oil/coolant routines that run after the car is turned off. Sometimes they can be quite loud and freak people out. You should ask the dealer for peace of mind, but yes it may be some sort of routine cycle(evap vapor check?) that may run hours after the car is off. Pretty sure I heard this on my GTI from time to time, but it would be just after I had started it up, a thump-thump-thump-thump knocking noise in the back and I found that is what it was if I recall. For some reason I haven't heard it in a long time, or got used to it. My wife's CR-V has a whirring noise from the back sometimes after sitting for hours and I found out it's a similar, normal cycle.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Heating/air con ducts being shifted round?

I know on my beloved piece of poo poo, the fuel pump likes to hum a little tune sometimes but the air vents being moved round internally gives a series of little thumps that reverb through all the ducts

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

All the Audis I’ve had made a high pitched whine with a small thump when I opened the driver’s door after they had been sitting for a few hours. It was the fuel system pressuring.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Auto levelling suspension?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

All the Audis I’ve had made a high pitched whine with a small thump when I opened the driver’s door after they had been sitting for a few hours. It was the fuel system pressuring.

Yeah, I think most modern VAG card pressurize the fuel pump when you do that. My Golf whines when I get anywhere near the car with my fob. Planning on asking the dealer about that a little later though, as it hasn’t drained the battery or anything yet.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Sportswagon was the last manual wagon in the US, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just did my first DSG oil change. Odd design, but man does it move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

nitsuga posted:

Yeah, I think most modern VAG card pressurize the fuel pump when you do that. My Golf whines when I get anywhere near the car with my fob. Planning on asking the dealer about that a little later though, as it hasn’t drained the battery or anything yet.

yup. my 08 Rabbit does it when I open the door.