Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not a mass produced item though. The Analogue Pocket is a boutique item directed at the enthusiast market. Something mass produced would be those MIPS SoC emulation handhelds that are all over AliExpress.

Unless they are making less than a 1000 of them or something stupid like that, yes they are mass produced. They are going to make tens if not hundreds of thousands of them.

To give an example of cars, the cheap MIPS emulation handhelds would be like a Toyota Camry. This would be something like a BMW 5 Series; better built, not any corners cut and high quality all around at a premium price but it isn't like BMWs are rare and it isn't like you can't buy one. Something that is mass produced is like a specialized supercars made in very small batches like from Ferrari, Porsche. Examples of this would be like a Bugatti Centodieci which is limited to 10 units priced at 8 million euros each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
No. The NES and SNES Classics were arguably mainstream--although I'd argue they were marketed with nostalgic appeal to former gamers rather than current-generation gamers--but none of Analogue's retro enthusiast hardware has been mainstream.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's a difference between boutique and bespoke. A $200+ game boy is a boutique item, limited appeal, cost prohibitive to pump out by the 10,000. Getting a shell custom milled for one of those Wii minis, or commissioning a Ben Heck original is the supercar of retro gaming items.

Also COVID has totally hosed supply chains worldwide.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

falz posted:

I still can't believe that a pandemic shot game prices up quicker than anything in recent history, people are idiots with money.

While I'm also angry posting, I'm also angry about this. Almost every game I was wanting to buy has gone up by at least 50% in price on Ebay, some of them have literally doubled in the sold price. It's really putting me off with collecting physical games.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Heaven help me I clicked on a tweet about whether FPGA-based consoles are emulation or not and read the replies. Nerds are the worst.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Djarum posted:

Unless they are making less than a 1000 of them or something stupid like that, yes they are mass produced. They are going to make tens if not hundreds of thousands of them.
OK, yes, they are literally mass produced in a factory instead of hand crafted. I don't think Analogue has ever released sales numbers, but I imagine they've not sold more than 100k Super Nts. For comparsion, the SNES Classic sold five million, and that was a device with much broader appeal and sold in mass-market retail channels.

My point is that Analogue's devices aren't in continuous production and go through production batches between which there's often periods of unavailability. With the Super Nt and Mega Sg, they've tried to keep the popular variants in production, but I don't know that they'll be able to do that with the Pocket in part due to the specialized hardware, but it's also the specialized hardware that makes it particularly appealing.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
The supply chain is poo poo right now, everyone. I think the only thing I would fault Analogue for is a lack of transparency in their production process (which they aren't really obligated to show us? although doing so might dissipate some of the hate), and their taking advantage of expert marketing to drive hype for this thing to a level where a majority of interested customers will be disappointed.
Even gosh dang Nintendo can't get enough Switches out to the domestic market in Japan.
I know it sucks we can't all get one of these things (remember the people that DID get a pre-order in still have no confirmed ship date, it could be a year out), but I feel like the entire world is a bit poo poo right now and we don't need to direct ALL of it at a cottage industry retro gaming company.
My 2 cents but anyway feel free to post angry posts.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

katkillad2 posted:

While I'm also angry posting, I'm also angry about this. Almost every game I was wanting to buy has gone up by at least 50% in price on Ebay, some of them have literally doubled in the sold price. It's really putting me off with collecting physical games.

Dump your games and move over to solid state media. It's awesome.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

katkillad2 posted:

This is definitely not the year to buy physical (old) games. Wait until the pandemic dies down and we may see prices correct.

Or just say gently caress it and go everdrives and FPGA for everything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ineffiable posted:

This is definitely not the year to buy physical (old) games. Wait until the pandemic dies down and we may see prices correct.

Or collect something other than Nintendo/Sega stuff, PS1 prices have barely moved for the most part.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ineffiable posted:

Wait until the pandemic dies down and we may see prices correct.

This is our life now dude. This is it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
poo poo I went to the place I've gone before for retro shopping and their N64 section was like 10% of what it was. And its a combination of Madden, golf and some other sports games. Hell a bunch of their PS1 games were sold as well, I remember they used to have this stud that just had a bunch of PS1 games on it that was like a foot long. Also it made me cry cause I know those games are scratched to poo poo.

Wow I just looked up some smaller games that I kinda had some interest in and they loving shot up too. What the hell. What, everyone is on lockdown and switches are too expensive so its time to dust off the n64 from grandma's house and buy fighting force 64?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

But it was marketed like a new playstation or xbox. The marketing leaked into mainstream gaming news so the demand was mainstream.

It wasn't marketed like a PlayStation or Xbox at all. The most marketing that Analogue has done for this themselves has only been Twitter posts. They didn't rent our any auditoriums, do any live streams, show any videos with it yet. The appeal is boutique as hell.

Now that I think of it, I would like to see a video of a human holding one in their hands, turning it on and firing up a round of Tetris. If it weren't for the strength of their past products and how they've delivered in the past, I dunno how much I'd have been willing to drop $300+ on it and the accessories. I've been looking forward to this more than next gen consoles.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No. The NES and SNES Classics were arguably mainstream--although I'd argue they were marketed with nostalgic appeal to former gamers rather than current-generation gamers--but none of Analogue's retro enthusiast hardware has been mainstream.
Those are h*ckin mainstream.
7.5 Million SNES + NES classics were sold worldwide.

On the other side, one of those Optical Disk Replacement boards probably have their boards made in china, shipped elsewhere and have their solder masks applied by hand, their components hand picked and placed and are baked in a home toaster oven.
So a thousand finished boards is the best they can do. (I have no idea)

FWIW parts availability - I bet Retro gaming and homebrew hardware doesn't even take up a single percent of FPGA stock.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 4, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

njsykora posted:

Or collect something other than Nintendo/Sega stuff, PS1 prices have barely moved for the most part.

Dunno dude, there's movement for ps1 as well. Especially complete

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/lunar-2-eternal-blue-complete

Check out the chart and see how it spikes just like we've seen nintendo games spike since beginning of 2020.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/mega-man-legends

Especially check the spike on CIB.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/final-fantasy-viii

What should be a common game.

And don't get me started on ps2! (check the holy horror trinity; rule of rose, haunting ground and kuon)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm talking about the prices I'm seeing in stores and on ebay, ie the prices people are actually paying. The vast majority of games have maybe risen slightly, but even then they're just following small rises that were already starting to happen pre-pandemic. Also the UK market which probably impacts some things since I believe some games that are expensive in NA are cheaper here since we just got more copies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

haunting ground

495 bucks used on amazon as the cheapest. Dear loving lord.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Coffee Jones posted:

FWIW parts availability - I bet Retro gaming and homebrew hardware doesn't even take up a single percent of FPGA stock.

That makes it even harder to get parts when supply is constrained, since you don't have the $$$ to buy your way to the front of the line. I kinda doubt it's the FPGA that's the limiting factor, but I don't really know enough about this kinda of manufacturing to have any good reason for that.

Ineffiable posted:

Seriously (though consoles, while inflated, are still affordable enough you can get your hands on them if you want). I don't see the point of getting physical games besides to have on a shelf.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 4, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Getting a bunch of flashcarts has been weird because I basically paid like the $100~200 for each system to ultimately feel okay with selling off all my games for each one and then finally selling off the system and flashcart. This has been the first year of my life since I was like 5 where I don't own a single NES cart.

It only takes a couple times to go "huh I instinctively pulled out the flash cart to play Kirby's Adventure instead of putting in my actual cart, why do I need this again?" Sold off a bunch of my SNES games in the past few months which would have been unthinkable to me a few years ago, and the only thing slowing down the process is me wanting to play the games again before I sell them and me having nothing but RPGs left.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm definitely glad I didn't invest in a big physical collection. Back in like 2007 I bought a few SNES games like FF6, Super Metroid etc. for maybe 20 bucks Canadian each from a guy who also sold bongs in my university cafeteria. Good guy.
Now I'm totally happy having just everdrives and I really want to set up ODEs.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I know they'll undoubtedly make more Analogue Pockets at *some point* but did past consoles (Super NT, Mega SG namely) have a "round 2" for pre-orders before the actual release date?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

I know they'll undoubtedly make more Analogue Pockets at *some point* but did past consoles (Super NT, Mega SG namely) have a "round 2" for pre-orders before the actual release date?

I know they reopened NT Mini Noir preorders for a second round a few months ago, but I don't know if that was extra production run or just preorders being opened up by cancelations due to people needing the money right now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Since we're talking flashcards how much is an EZ-Flash V 3in1 slot 2 cart going for these days? My DS lite kicked the bucket and I might sell it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't get an Analogue Pocket (I also didn't try, but let's ignore that for now) so to make up for it I've decided to try my hand at building a MiSTer. I held off for a long while because I assumed a lot of components (specifically the RAM) was basically impossible to find during the pandemic, but besides the DE10 taking a week or so everything else was seemingly easy to find.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm definitely glad I didn't invest in a big physical collection. Back in like 2007 I bought a few SNES games like FF6, Super Metroid etc. for maybe 20 bucks Canadian each from a guy who also sold bongs in my university cafeteria. Good guy.
Now I'm totally happy having just everdrives and I really want to set up ODEs.

If you purchased anything that was highly desired or rare over ten years ago, I bet you can sell less than one third of whatever you've collected just to make your money back.

I have not paid any of my own personal money for retro games/products for the last three years. I've just sold extra stuff or stuff I wouldn't miss that much and paid off things like GB/Gba everdrives and now I just sold a bunch of stuff just to get the analogue pocket/dock and still have extra cash in my paypal.

On the other hand, it's really hard though with some games where you've paid $10-20 originally and it's worth $100+ and you know if you sell that one you'll probably never see it again because you can never justify that price.

I know what's gonna happen a lot less is people going for complete sets. It's just too prohibitively expensive to do so.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hatty posted:

Since we're talking flashcards how much is an EZ-Flash V 3in1 slot 2 cart going for these days? My DS lite kicked the bucket and I might sell it.
I wouldn't think that much since the EZ Flash Omega basically does everything the 3in1 does (except rumble, but meh) and does it better while also working on GBAs. Apparently two sold on eBay for $30 and $50 USD back in May but that was the height of crazy prices.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Ineffiable posted:

If you purchased anything that was highly desired or rare over ten years ago, I bet you can sell less than one third of whatever you've collected just to make your money back.

I don't have anything too rare, and all my stuff is just loose carts.
After I got my SD2SNES, I gave most of my stuff to my younger brother.
I have FF3, Super Metroid, Mario RPG, and a Japanese Yoshi's Island on hand.
Actually when I got my Mario RPG battery replaced at a local shop, I had them swap the PCB into an SFC copy of the game.
My 1Chip console is an SFC so it made sense at the time, but now I have a SNES shell of Mario RPG with the Japanese PCB inside and vice versa.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I had ordered a Mega SG so I didn't have the play money ready for preorder, but I will eventually get a Pocket.

What do you people think the odds are of another release of Super NTs is?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Their site lists SNT as sold out and not discontinued, so I'm sure it'll get restocked in the future. I just don't think it'll happen this year.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I've got a Sega Saturn coming eventually, what's the deal with the RAD2X cables? Considering they are selling for $200 on Ebay... I guess they haven't been in stock for a long time? Have they made any mention of making more of them?

I've also got a MODE coming eventually, but if there is such a thing what's a cheap but good Saturn game I can buy loose to test things out with?

Edit: Looks like loose Daytona is like 10bux

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 5, 2020

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

I've got a Sega Saturn coming eventually, what's the deal with the RAD2X cables? Considering they are selling for $200 on Ebay... I guess they haven't been in stock for a long time? Have they made any mention of making more of them?

I've also got a MODE coming eventually, but if there is such a thing what's a cheap but good Saturn game I can buy loose to test things out with?

Edit: Looks like loose Daytona is like 10bux

They seem to come back in stock here and there: https://twitter.com/retro_cables

If you don't want to wait you can always just buy a RetroTINK and do a component/RGB setup instead. They're the exact same tech under the hood. Also, when that copy of Daytona shows up don't be surprised if they snuck in a copy of Virtua Fighter 2.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 5, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Dammit eBay bidders, don't you know how this works? Let a listing sit relatively low until the last day or so before the bidding war starts, so I can at least feel like I have a chance of scoring a PAL copy of Project Justice 2 for a reasonable price :negative:.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Been playing through the Final Fight games, and some of these enemy names are great. I think my favorite has to be Arby. Or Fat Jack (which I read as Fat gently caress at first).

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dammit eBay bidders, don't you know how this works? Let a listing sit relatively low until the last day or so before the bidding war starts, so I can at least feel like I have a chance of scoring a PAL copy of Rival Schools 2: Project Justice 2 for a reasonable price :negative:.

Forgive my pedantry.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

When Capcom's web store was clearing out their DC stock for like, :10bux: each in 2002-ish, Project Justice was among the selection. If only we knew.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ofecks posted:

When Capcom's web store was clearing out their DC stock for like, :10bux: each in 2002-ish, Project Justice was among the selection. If only we knew.

Something a bit closer in modern times, square Enix still sold dragon quest games for the ds brand new for as low as like $25 only five years ago. Now any sealed dragon quest ds game goes for $100+. I bought dragon quest v but I wish I got the others.

People are apparently paying $100 just for cib DQVI on ds.

Slightly on this topic, I feel like the ds/ps2/gc/wii gens are going to be some of the last with high prices (I'm gonna say higher than original msrp, since price is sort of subjective) for desirable games. On say, the 3ds,wiiu or ps3/ps4 you can buy most games digitally so it satisfies demand. Like for example you can buy dragon quest viii digitally so the physical price hasn't gotten high.

Of course just gotta wait until it's unavailable digitally. And this only applies when the game is on the same platform. Otherwise it's weird that games like Misadventures of Tron Bonnie and Sudioken II are $100+ on PS1 physically but you can buy a legal digital copy on any ps3/vita for $10.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All the DS Dragon Quests have been available legally on Android/iOS too. And they're excellent ports.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

All the DS Dragon Quests have been available legally on Android/iOS too. And they're excellent ports.

Yeah which is also why it's kind of weird that it's so much more for the original DS copies. But that's why I think there's an (unspoken) rule that a legal digital release of a game only really affects the prices of the physical one when they're both available on the same platform. The only advantage of the mobile ports is possibly playing them with real buttons on a ds/3ds (if the mobile ports support controllers well that just goes out the window)

I really should find some kind of low cost android box so I can put some of these excellent mobile ports on.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 6, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I find it hard to believe CIB and digital copies are competing for a market. Mostly I think the consoles you've listed aren't old enough to have developed a collectors market. For mere playablity you're probably right, but that would only cap value around that of the digital copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ineffiable posted:

Something a bit closer in modern times, square Enix still sold dragon quest games for the ds brand new for as low as like $25 only five years ago. Now any sealed dragon quest ds game goes for $100+. I bought dragon quest v but I wish I got the others.

People are apparently paying $100 just for cib DQVI on ds.

drat, I had all of the DQ games on DS (except the DQMs) and unloaded them in 2013. Probably at a slight loss. That was the last time I sold anything on Ebay, actually.