Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

And at that age. That rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

ElMaligno posted:

Thanks, she is well behaved on her leash but I got a Bicycle Dog Leash. She is a little afraid of bikes so i'm going to take it slow, with her with the eventual goal of taking short bike rides with her and the side goal of hauling her on a bike dog trailer when me and the wife go camping.

Drown the dog with treats. That tends to change their mind real fast.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

rope kid posted:

I'm trying to find somewhere to buy a 1.85mm cassette spacer to run a 10-speed Shimano cassette on an 11-speed hub and uh... basically there are no outlets in the US that have them in stock. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

I actually bought one last week here:
https://www.nashbar.com/shimano-duraace-fh9000-11speed-low-spacer-1.85mm-y4t724000/p312168

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 5, 2020

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Snagged that Midnight Special in hot mayo. No idea what I知 doing but I知 excited

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

redcheval posted:

Nice! Congrats on the new bike. Pictures? There's a picture thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933902

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

redcheval posted:

Nice that's the best color of the three imo. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how fast you can go on the surly compared with your cruiser.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
aw damnit my old asian market edge 500 screen cracked. any rec for a simple but good cycling computer under $150?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Ooh, will post a pic or two up in that thread now. Just got back in from riding it around the neighborhood and it truly is a BLAST, I am in love.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

redcheval posted:

Ooh, will post a pic or two up in that thread now. Just got back in from riding it around the neighborhood and it truly is a BLAST, I am in love.

I've put about 3500 miles on my MS now, it's a stupid fun bike that you can ride just about anywhere if you're dumb enough.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ammanas posted:

aw damnit my old asian market edge 500 screen cracked. any rec for a simple but good cycling computer under $150?

Under $150 you're solidly in the cost-cutting tradeoff zone unless you're willing to go find a used Wahoo or Garmin instead.

That said, I've been happily using a bargain bin Lezyne Super GPS Enhanced for ~1.5 years right now and it's been fine. It was $100, I use it to follow GPX tracks without maps, and when I've used turn-by-turn it has worked great until I get off the track and then it loses connection to my phone and struggles to route me back. If you can survive with only Bluetooth and not ANT+, you could get by with a https://www.jensonusa.com/Lezyne-Macro-Plus-GPS . If you want more ANT+ and more features you can step up to the Super Pro GPS at $150, but at that point you should probably just consider the extra money for a Garmin 130 Plus or Wahoo Bolt.

You might be able to find a clearance Garmin 130 for cheap now that the 130 Plus is out also.

Edit: It's elevation barometer is bad and always gives me extra elevation if there's big weather changes or I leave before it calibrates. Strava can correct this elevation. It's done a great job of staying paired to cadence and HR sensor, battery life is good, and my phone connection issues are probably because I'm on a 3.5 year old $240 phone that struggles to maintain a bluetooth connection to anything, including my car and speakers.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 5, 2020

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

shoot. i paid $90 on ebay (new) for this one cuz it was meant for the asian market but you just change the language to english and gtg.

i should be less cavalier with my bike stuff, its all so loving expensive

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Ammanas posted:

shoot. i paid $90 on ebay (new) for this one cuz it was meant for the asian market but you just change the language to english and gtg.

i should be less cavalier with my bike stuff, its all so loving expensive

Get another one? Really the new ones aren稚 necessarily better. The Edge 500 came out in 2009/2010 and it痴 lasted that long after all.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 6, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Took out my road bike for the first time in ages beyond just trips to the bar/liquor store. Only did about 30 miles, but the frontage roads near one of my favorite close fishing spots are nice and hilly and pretty sparsely carred so I had a fun time, and I forgot how much easier climbing on a road bike was. Knew there was a reason I kept it around. Also the flats are on there until I break in/decide I hate my flat shoes for the mountain bike.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

Get another one? Really the new ones aren’t necessarily better. The Edge 500 came out in 2009/2010 and it’s lasted that long after all.

decided to go with an edge 130, new on ebay for $160 express shipped

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
In local news, someone in Vancouver lived out my worst nightmare:

quote:

Shortly before noon, Squamish RCMP tweeted they were responding to a collision south of Furry Creek, and that the road was closed in both directions. They warned traffic was backing up and asked drivers to "be patient, be kind, and allow us to do our job and get people all the help they need."
It went on to say, "witnesses reported the strap of the load appeared to have broken causing the load to shift from the rear of the bed, significantly over to the right side of the bed of the truck, and protruding over the shoulder of the highway, unbeknownst to the driver."

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/happy-to-be-alive-and-mad-as-hell-cyclist-hospitalized-after-sea-to-sky-collision-1.5050747

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hey don't worry, the driver can be fined almost $500 Canadian! That'll show em!

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

DeesGrandpa posted:

Hey don't worry, the driver can be fined almost $500 Canadian! That'll show em!

Seems excessive. Are these boards even worth that much??

Accidents happen!

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I'm just a lurker, but I got a job in sales at a LBS a few months ago. Just let me say that normie and nerd customers alike need 2 get a grip (and not just handlebar grips)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

golden bells posted:

Just let me say that normie and nerd customers alike need 2 get a grip

Go on.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I think it's because I'm a lady, but men frequently lie to me about their height. Dudes who are my height (5'4"/163cm) telling me they're 5'10"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

golden bells posted:

I think it's because I'm a lady, but men frequently lie to me about their height. Dudes who are my height (5'4"/163cm) telling me they're 5'10"

There was someone else in here ages ago who also worked in a bike shop who said dudes who needed small bike frames would often be trying to buy large frames on sale.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That was me and yes it's hilarious when certain men outright refuse to buy a small frame even though they can't comfortably stand over a medium.

Especially when there's an XL next to it and it's :siren:ON SALE:siren:

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 6, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

golden bells posted:

Do you ever offer to break out the tape measure?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Buy two sizes down with a -17deg 140mm stem.

This is the way.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lower than average MY rear end

Still need to be 2 seconds faster on that segment though :argh:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I wish there was a way to opt out of Local Legends other than switching privacy settings and becoming ineligible for like half the challenges on Strava. I know most of them are basically just ads, but pretend internet badges are way cooler than pretend internet laurels imo.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

golden bells posted:

I'm just a lurker, but I got a job in sales at a LBS a few months ago. Just let me say that normie and nerd customers alike need 2 get a grip (and not just handlebar grips)

Grip2 vvc please.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
This post, now in the correct thread:
This old Quintana Roo popped up on facebook, and I can't help but admire those bars. No listed size, but it's listed as having 650 wheels and being "too small" for the current owner to . It looks to me like it's a 650 front 700 rear from the picture. I really don't need to throw $250 at an old TT bike that probably doesn't fit me, but a part of me certainly wants to.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Those are so loving ugly.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

This old Quintana Roo popped up on facebook, and I can't help but admire those bars. No listed size, but it's listed as having 650 wheels and being "too small" for the current owner to . It looks to me like it's a 650 front 700 rear from the picture. I really don't need to throw $250 at an old TT bike that probably doesn't fit me, but a part of me certainly wants to.

:gonk: so many possible but unusable hand positions

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Do you ever offer to break out the tape measure?

The giddy 5'11" customer lastly inputed his anatomical inseam. The Trek sizing super computer grinded and wheezed, and with a puff of fumes spat out a dot matrix document: "MANLET"

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

vikingstrike posted:

Grip2 vvc please.

IT'S BACKORDERED STOP ASKING ;-;

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I wish there was a way to opt out of Local Legends other than switching privacy settings and becoming ineligible for like half the challenges on Strava. I know most of them are basically just ads, but pretend internet badges are way cooler than pretend internet laurels imo.

I'm not a huge fan of it myself if only because I can see it making riding less fun, what with people feeling the urge to do the same thing over and over again just to maintain their LL status. Only reason why I have those is because it's part of the group ride I do twice a week.

But that 2nd place vexes me so.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Just sell bikes in sizes large, extra large, extra extra large, mega large and super large. Large is 46cm.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Clark Nova posted:

Just sell bikes in sizes large, extra large, extra extra large, mega large and super large. Large is 46cm.

I'd like to test ride a triple venti Checkpoint, no foam.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

That's the era of 650c wheels which are a pain in the rear end to get rims and tires for.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is that a Terry-style bike? It doesn't really look like an old Low-pro/ TT funny bike, other than the bars.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

That was me and yes it's hilarious when certain men outright refuse to buy a small frame even though they can't comfortably stand over a medium.

Especially when there's an XL next to it and it's :siren:ON SALE:siren:

My dad did this with poor results. I am a hair under 6'0.5" tall (184cm on-the-dot) and my anatomical inseam is 34.5" (87.5cm); back in 2009 when I was getting back into cycling after fifteen years of wasting my life playing Quake, I went into a Performance shop and walked out with a size Large Schwinn Searcher. It fit me pretty well and I got a lot of use out of that bike before selling it to a friend. Anyway, my dad is 5'9" tall with short legs, so his anatomical inseam is probably under 30"; he went into Performance and demanded a size Large Schwinn Searcher because that's what I'd bought. The folks there tried their best to talk him out of it but he was adamant; I tried to talk him into a Medium but nope, if his son rides a Large, so does he! He eventually got his way and came out with this bike that's much too large for him. He made it a few years without serious incident, but finally he rolled up to a stop, couldn't get off the saddle, couldn't get a foot down, and went over right on his shoulder. He was probably 65 at the time and overweight and this wound up being a proper injury that kept him off the bike for quite a long while.

I no-shame ride a Medium Topstone. Buy a bike that fits, folks!

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
my career as a cycling fashion designer is going well. My latest creation: the King of the Rave Mountains jersey

https://imgur.com/a/k2KeJQh

SAMart post forthcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

becoming posted:

My dad did this with poor results. I am a hair under 6'0.5" tall (184cm on-the-dot) and my anatomical inseam is 34.5" (87.5cm); back in 2009 when I was getting back into cycling after fifteen years of wasting my life playing Quake, I went into a Performance shop and walked out with a size Large Schwinn Searcher. It fit me pretty well and I got a lot of use out of that bike before selling it to a friend. Anyway, my dad is 5'9" tall with short legs, so his anatomical inseam is probably under 30"; he went into Performance and demanded a size Large Schwinn Searcher because that's what I'd bought. The folks there tried their best to talk him out of it but he was adamant; I tried to talk him into a Medium but nope, if his son rides a Large, so does he! He eventually got his way and came out with this bike that's much too large for him. He made it a few years without serious incident, but finally he rolled up to a stop, couldn't get off the saddle, couldn't get a foot down, and went over right on his shoulder. He was probably 65 at the time and overweight and this wound up being a proper injury that kept him off the bike for quite a long while.

I no-shame ride a Medium Topstone. Buy a bike that fits, folks!

Smaller bikes are lighter and let you get longer stems. Both of these are good things!