Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fanatical Summer Sale has started. At a casual glance, Two Point Hospital for $11.99 and Rimworld for a whopping $3 off. https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/two-point-hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fanatical Summer Sale has started. At a casual glance, Two Point Hospital for $11.99 and Rimworld for a whopping $3 off. https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/two-point-hospital

Anno 1800 is $23 bucks as well.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

luxury handset posted:

it's good, not great

tenebrais said everything i would say about it. i more than got my money's worth but it's not a very complex game, nor one you'll play for hundreds of hours. there's a lot of merit to small games these days what with the number of games coming out

if the game seems appealing to you i think it's worth up to $20. it is exactly what it looks like with no real surprises. i think the game is probably meant for a teenager or older child as "my first complicated management game"

It's on sale for €4 so ill get it then

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Volmarias posted:

Install mechjeb and press the "do everything" button

Never! I'm a purist- efficiency be damned I've been playing that game since before they implimented the Mun.

My proudest moment was taking a flying mobile lab to Duna...before realising that jet engines don't work there. And then sending a rescue mission for them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Colonists has issued a new release. It has two features I'm very pleased with. You can now dismantle buildings, recovering the resources used to build them, instead of destroying them. There are also "frontiers", Steamwide challenges to complete a new scenario-let the fastest. If you do the first challenge, I warn you, CONSERVE YOUR STONE. You need to have enough to get through upgrading a workshop and then researching Mining Level 2. Ask how I know...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah, I slowly came to the realization that it's more puzzle than "logistics". There's some of that, sure, but it's been a struggle figuring out how to keep opening things up in Europe, etc.

What might be the most similar game that's more logistics/management and less puzzle than Logistical?

To answer my own question: I picked up Transport Fever 2 and it feels like what I'm looking for. I haven't put too much time into it but it REALLY focuses on the transport.. obviously. Small supply chains (3 tiers) so not Anno level, transportation options aren't OpenTTD-levels complex but give good options, and cities build/expand automatically so no SimCity stuff.

The challenge, so far, arises from the fact that raw materials, production, and consumption is often very far apart, transportation times are long, and high efficiency is needed to grow.

I'm pretty sure it's also pretty mod-friendly, though I haven't dug too far into it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

To answer my own question: I picked up Transport Fever 2 and it feels like what I'm looking for. I haven't put too much time into it but it REALLY focuses on the transport.. obviously. Small supply chains (3 tiers) so not Anno level, transportation options aren't OpenTTD-levels complex but give good options, and cities build/expand automatically so no SimCity stuff.

The challenge, so far, arises from the fact that raw materials, production, and consumption is often very far apart, transportation times are long, and high efficiency is needed to grow.

I'm pretty sure it's also pretty mod-friendly, though I haven't dug too far into it.

how does it differ from open TTD? I've been playign that on and off for years. I also have Mashinky which I've enjoyed especially with the mod that lets me place bulidings and towns / Town buildings (for a fee).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

tater_salad posted:

how does it differ from open TTD? I've been playign that on and off for years. I also have Mashinky which I've enjoyed especially with the mod that lets me place bulidings and towns / Town buildings (for a fee).

It's honestly very very similar to Open TTD but with better graphics. You still have the same loop of delivering goods to factories that make goods and bringing those goods to a town to upgrade the town which creates more demand, etc. I loved TF2 because it felt so similar to me, someone who also played a fuckton of OpenTTD but was looking for a modern equivalent.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I picked up Workers and Resources earlier this week and I somehow played 30 hours in 3 days. It's like Cities Skylines meets Simutrans, but I would compare the overall feel closer to... Kenshi? My only complaint is that the fastest game speed is still agonizingly slow so it takes forever to play.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arven posted:

I picked up Workers and Resources earlier this week and I somehow played 30 hours in 3 days. It's like Cities Skylines meets Simutrans, but I would compare the overall feel closer to... Kenshi? My only complaint is that the fastest game speed is still agonizingly slow so it takes forever to play.

That's why your development needs a good five year plan, comrade.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

tater_salad posted:

The major difference between TF2 and oTTD is that the routes are baked in once your train leaves the depot. So there's no signal tricks, no pathfinding AI. Sidings can be faked to allow fast trains passing slow but realistically you're forced to keep one passenger network and one freight network and within each of those you stick to one top speed with similar acceleration.

Big change number 2 is that curves are spline based instead of tile. This means you get awesome sweeping curves in a way tiles never could give you for maximum model train coolness and screenshots. But also means you need to be a spline whisperer to make them look how your minds eye first envisions a turn.

The industries and city growing is ripped almost 1:1 out of oTTD and then refined a bit. You need to fulfill one entire supply chain at a time to make progress in city growing as well as industry growing. There's no such thing as feeding billions tons of coal to powerplants. Your first routes will fulfill a supply chain beginning to end or else your intermediate destinations fill up and stop needing deliveries.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
after spending more time with spacebase: startopia aka the startopia remake, i see why it's "open beta" and not "early access". only the first third of the game content is in place, basically to the point where you would build a research lab and get more complex rec deck structures. so don't pick up the preorder right now expecting for a stealth early release

that aside it feels good. they did the smart thing and cloned the original as hard as possible. much of the same gameplay is there. trash and litter is still a constant problem. from what i can tell it will be possible in the full game to build 'grenade' items which do things like clear all trash or make aliens pissed off (for combat) so that's a neat twist

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

luxury handset posted:

i see why it's "open beta" and not "early access". only the first third of the game content is in place

Traditionally a beta is feature-complete. This sounds like exactly the thing you would call early access rather than a beta.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Wooper posted:

Traditionally a beta is feature-complete. This sounds like exactly the thing you would call early access rather than a beta.

i think all the game systems are in place, it's just that 4/9ths of the tech tree if not more are inactive and many buildings are thus unbuildable. there are icons for them and all the things necessary to build them, they're just locked away behind obscured triggers

my only real complaint about it is that picking up small objects is sometimes fiddly which is noticeable when you're encouraged to spend so much time microing the movement of trash, drones, and crates

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Wooper posted:

Depends on what someone will define as a feature I would guess.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It's also fairly common for a company to want people to test the crap out of the early content, then slowly unlock the later content for more testing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

luxury handset posted:

i think all the game systems are in place, it's just that 4/9ths of the tech tree if not more are inactive and many buildings are thus unbuildable. there are icons for them and all the things necessary to build them, they're just locked away behind obscured triggers

my only real complaint about it is that picking up small objects is sometimes fiddly which is noticeable when you're encouraged to spend so much time microing the movement of trash, drones, and crates

That means it's not feature-complete. Feature-complete means that you can play through the entire game from start to end and make use of every feature.

Traditional beta tests are used to find bugs and to refine the user experience (tweak numbers, improve UI, that sort of thing). That said, while that is the traditional meaning of a software beta, it has long, long since been superseded when applied to video game beta tests. Video game betas have been partial tests of incomplete systems for a couple decades at least, when they aren't disguised demos.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Early access is basically the same thing in this broad sense of the word.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Considering buying early access buying a crappy game with potential and free expansions.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Colonists has issued a new release. It has two features I'm very pleased with. You can now dismantle buildings, recovering the resources used to build them, instead of destroying them. There are also "frontiers", Steamwide challenges to complete a new scenario-let the fastest. If you do the first challenge, I warn you, CONSERVE YOUR STONE. You need to have enough to get through upgrading a workshop and then researching Mining Level 2. Ask how I know...

Alas, I thought I had listened. I made sure to build a shaft mine early, and I had a backup with a boat yard. My shaft mine completes, and stone runs out, I was sure I had made it. I awaited the first harvest from the shaft mine, ensuring the security of my dwindling stone supply -- oh I just need to supply some L2 energy, no big deal.

Ah right, houses, that's what I forgot. I needed stone to make the houses to power the mine, but the boat, the boat is ready. Finally the boat is completed and I am ready to set sail -- ah, the provisions, I forgot the provisions and yes, they too take stone.

My harbour and my mine sit there, taunting me. I thought I was ready.

:cripes:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Has anyone here given "Littlewood" a try yet?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/894940/Littlewood/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

frogge posted:

I haven’t played it, but I have watched several videos. It looks like a thankless but inoffensive numbers go up grinder.

If you haven’t played My Time at Portia yet, do that first. I think you’ll enjoy it more. Although Portia does have fighting.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife and I are closing in on the endgame of Astroneer. While we still have a few big tasks left, our infrastructure is at the point where we can craft basically anything, and any resources we need are at most a quick rocket hop away.

I know there are a lot of great games in the OP, but most of them seem to be single-player, or at least don't have a robust co-op mode. Are there any other good co-op, preferably chill, management or building games?

The level of challenge in Astroneer was about perfect - you mostly only die to carelessness, and while there's some depth to the crafting, it's fairly straightforward and doesn't require tracking everything via spreadsheets.

We've already spent hundreds of hours in Stardew Valley, or we'd just jump to that.

Edit: Oh, we did Factorio too, but at the time there wasn't an endgame beyond "launch rocket".

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 7, 2020

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

frogge posted:

Playing it now. It's nice.

Also playing Green Project, which is also nice.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

LLSix posted:

I haven’t played it, but I have watched several videos. It looks like a thankless but inoffensive numbers go up grinder.

If you haven’t played My Time at Portia yet, do that first. I think you’ll enjoy it more. Although Portia does have fighting.

That seems to be the common complaint about it from skimming the reviews, but I reckon goons are a better metric on those things.

WarpedNaba posted:

Playing it now. It's nice.

Also playing Green Project, which is also nice.

Nice enough to pick up or nice enough to wait for a sale?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'd wait for a sale. It's definitely with its charms, but since there's been a bunch of content patches (and likely to be a fair number more) it couldn't hurt to wait.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife and I are closing in on the endgame of Astroneer. While we still have a few big tasks left, our infrastructure is at the point where we can craft basically anything, and any resources we need are at most a quick rocket hop away.

I know there are a lot of great games in the OP, but most of them seem to be single-player, or at least don't have a robust co-op mode. Are there any other good co-op, preferably chill, management or building games?

The level of challenge in Astroneer was about perfect - you mostly only die to carelessness, and while there's some depth to the crafting, it's fairly straightforward and doesn't require tracking everything via spreadsheets.

We've already spent hundreds of hours in Stardew Valley, or we'd just jump to that.

Edit: Oh, we did Factorio too, but at the time there wasn't an endgame beyond "launch rocket".

Now it's "Launch More Rocket" and continue on until you're satisfied. Each rocket launch gives you 1,000x Space Science beakers you can shove into super end-game tech and repeating infinite techs (so you can get your mines to +2,000% productivity and drop 20x free ore for every 1 lump you mine up).

Satisfactory is also pretty good but it's still early access and not finished. But that means if you want you can come back later when it's done and enjoy the finished/rebalanced product.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

WhiteHowler posted:

There's a thing where you need to activate the magic teleporters on every planet and then in the core to make the orrary in space light up, you might want to consider that the end game goal. Rocket to planet with enough crap to just do the thing, git er done.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Volmarias posted:

There's a thing where you need to activate the magic teleporters on every planet and then in the core to make the orrary in space light up, you might want to consider that the end game goal. Rocket to planet with enough crap to just do the thing, git er done.
Yes, that's what we're working on now. Once we've finished that, we're probably done with Astroneer for now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Satisfactory is a fine co op. Must watch YT : an example base
Anno 1800 is also a good co op, works great for couples because you can commit to continuing to play it. The play through to investors is at least twice as long as Astroneer however.
Terraria is co op and depending on what your interests are, you can set up some nice bases. Note that the game gets easier the more players you have
Minecraft is the ultimate co op. For first timers, I'd recommend the Better Together Windows 10 version over the Java version

Those are just the ones I've played, folks here may have more ideas.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't expect to, but I enjoyed playing Overcooked with my wife. We've enjoyed all the same games you have so it seems like a good bet, but Overcooked is the opposite of chill though.

edit: I haven't played it, but No Man's Sky claims to have online co-op now?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

LLSix posted:

I didn't expect to, but I enjoyed playing Overcooked with my wife. We've enjoyed all the same games you have so it seems like a good bet, but Overcooked is the opposite of chill though.
We've played a ton of Cook Serve Delicious (and 2 and 3), but she's not a big fan of Overcooked and says it stresses her out too much. Which is odd because I find CSD much more stressful. Oh well!

quote:

edit: I haven't played it, but No Man's Sky claims to have online co-op now?
NMS has had co-op for a while. We played a bit after the original NEXT update, but there wasn't a lot to do. At least at the time, it was one of those "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" games. Tons of exploration, but no real reason to do it other than seeing new things, and the novelty wore off quickly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks, we made it to 50 pages! Thanks everyone for contributing, wasn't sure if this was going to stick.
We should start the thread over with a more optimised opening

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

We should start the thread over with a more optimised opening

What would you like changed about the opening Splicer?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mayveena posted:

We should focus on researching the ability to recognize jokes first next time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you all know that would lead to thirty odd closed single page threads in this forum

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

I'd wait for a sale. It's definitely with its charms, but since there's been a bunch of content patches (and likely to be a fair number more) it couldn't hurt to wait.

Good to know!

I recently fired up Cities Skylines again after finally realizing that there's a whole wide world of mods in the workshop and even picked up a map of my city. I can't wait to try and copy the street layout for a few hours and then give up and do whatever.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

We've played a ton of Cook Serve Delicious (and 2 and 3), but she's not a big fan of Overcooked and says it stresses her out too much. Which is odd because I find CSD much more stressful. Oh well!

I agree with you about the relative stressfullness.

I thought CSD was single player. How did you play it together?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Overcooked was banned in our house. That game is almost as dangerous to relationships as a trip to IKEA.

CSD does basically split screen and both people can do the same stuff but you share the same tickets. With a coordinated partner and one person working the orders while other person does the fried stuff on the top you can be pretty efficient. I tried getting my GF to play with me once and she couldn't wrap her head around it. I also love that game but find it too stressful to play sometimes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mayveena posted:

Oh everything's working fine I kind of just want to move everything two squares to the left