Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha Papley got fined for staging ahahahha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m glad Riminton went so hard on Hardwick there, it’s utterly hosed

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The afl have ruled that the Sydney player’s boots that injured Quaynor were not legal. They aren’t giving them the $40k fine that should come with that, though. Probably because there are plenty of other clubs and players that have been using those very same illegal boots and nobody noticed that they were illegal.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Sounds like rounds 14-16 are going to run over a two week period as well, just like what’s happened this week for rounds 10-12.
Another “festival of footy”.
I love the idea and more footy is always good, but I do worry about player welfare and standard of umpiring.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1291670312266813441

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

GWS are poo poo, convince me otherwise.

e: lol mumford

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Incredible analysis, glad we have a lab for it:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Don’t think GWS are that poo poo, they just aren’t up for it tonight (so far). The only way we win is when the opposition just aren’t up for it. If they decide they want to win they’ll walk over us in the second half.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

They should probably get an actual ruckman though, Mumford is hilarious - and not in a good way.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Ok that was good from Bruce. “If you told me that then I’d have locked you up, and taken pleasure in doing it” to Carey.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thepokey posted:

Ok that was good from Bruce. “If you told me that then I’d have locked you up, and taken pleasure in doing it” to Carey.

What did he respond to with that comment?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Glassed him

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

What did he respond to with that comment?

He just laughed

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Liking Draper’s game, he’s giving away free kicks for rough conduct and crude tackles which is great for a kid in his second game against noted thug Shane Mumford

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Essendon are just getting the footy inside their 50 with so much ease

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thepokey posted:

He just laughed

No I mean what did Carey say to get Bruce to say that

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

oh gently caress off umpires

Essendon got stiffed on that one considering Shaw was holding his man to the ground behind play, Giants throw it and then get pinged with a 50 for pretty much nothing.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 7, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Probably about the right outcome for the action, but lol if anyone believes this isn't the AFL throwing a lesser player under the bus to appear tough on head trauma. If it was a big name there's no way in hell they'd get 4 weeks.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah it's rubbish - they don't give a poo poo about protecting heads otherwise they'd have given Lynch atleast a week.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Diet Crack posted:

oh gently caress off umpires

Essendon got stiffed on that one considering Shaw was holding his man to the ground behind play, Giants throw it and then get pinged with a 50 for pretty much nothing.

Yeah, that was hosed. One of many awful decisions tonight. At least they seem awful in a balanced kinda way

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol this free inside 50 for running into someone and spinning around, these umps are so loving gullible it hurts

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Awful way to end a tense game. poo poo free kick.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

realbez posted:

Awful way to end a tense game. poo poo free kick.

poo poo free kicks all night, why change in the last minute?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The AFL really is in a bad state.

Low scoring, poor rule changes, horrible umpiring, players diving...

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Windmill Hut posted:

players diving...

Even BT was laughing about it. “The only way the bombers can win from here is if players in their forward start flopping and fool the umpires.”

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I wouldn't say scoring is the issue as it's back to what you'd expect for 20 min quarters. However changing rules on the fly mid season and their interpretations, coupled with clueless amateur umpires, and players bending the rules because the AFL and it's safety dept/MRO is a loving joke run by a colossal idiot - those definitely are problems.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The wild thing is, there's one solution that would solve all those problems at once - make umpiring a full-time profession with proper training. But the AFL just refuses to do it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

No I mean what did Carey say to get Bruce to say that

Think it something along the lines of meaning if Carey had said a few years ago that GWS wouldn't have won a flag by 2020 Bruce would lock him up. I think the lock him up was meaning in the insane asylum type way, but I still dig the double meaning.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Also, yeah that decision at the end that cost us a goal was a shocker. Ward absolutely played up to it. But I can't even be mad about it because we gave up a 30 point lead.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yep.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

thepokey posted:

Also, yeah that decision at the end that cost us a goal was a shocker. Ward absolutely played up to it. But I can't even be mad about it because we gave up a 30 point lead.

It's actually two decisions because that goal to Shaw was utter bollocks as well.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

thepokey posted:

It’s just ridiculous. Did you see the comment after the game?

Ward: “I thought I played it pretty well. I didn’t play for it, but I knew the contact was coming. So... yeah”
Then a wink and a nod to the camera.
Not really, just a smile, but the quote is verbatim.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nah you can’t run through someone after a mark. That was a 50. Shaw knew it was coming and let it happen, but that guy didn’t need to do that

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

realbez posted:

Nah you can’t run through someone after a mark. That was a 50. Shaw knew it was coming and let it happen, but that guy didn’t need to do that

No the point is Shaw got away with holding which gave GWS a direct advantage by keeping an Essendon player on the ground wrestling instead of getting in the play for advantage, then you have a scoop and what looks like a throw out to the wing just before the 50m. It's a free yes, but it's not 50 as it's right as he's marking it, not seconds later. Like he's diving to spoil as he marks, then makes contact - it's just loving soft is all. I'm growing tired of 50m penalties in general as they've been creeping up in number every year it seems.

e: 50m penalties are also a bullshit way to up scoring.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 7, 2020

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The social media reaction to the Richmond stuff is pretty crazy. There's a big group of "nothing to see here, just reporting on nonsense its no big deal, geez theres no such thing as rape culture!!" which is met with the homophobic group of "oh so you reckon its fine then huh? Suppose you like other guy's grabbing your cock? bit of bum stuff huh? bet you'd love that!!" Its like, two completely lovely takes that are also at odds with each other for the complete wrong reasons.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like the ones that claim you’re homophobic because you don’t want to be randomly groped in the change room

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Fan groups should start going through each game and creating an umpiring highlights package of all the poo poo decisions that were made. I remember someone did that after the Anzac Day game a few years back. Of course the rules are so subjective that the AFL just said everything was ok, nothing to see here etc but it got quite a bit of attention elsewhere.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The “boys will be boys” take is the one that kills me, literally the excuse for nearly all types of abuse like this. The idea that bullying and harassment are just a part of male culture is just pure toxic masculinity, it’s loving gross.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

gay picnic defence posted:

Fan groups should start going through each game and creating an umpiring highlights package of all the poo poo decisions that were made. I remember someone did that after the Anzac Day game a few years back. Of course the rules are so subjective that the AFL just said everything was ok, nothing to see here etc but it got quite a bit of attention elsewhere.

I thought about doing that with last nights game but... effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

And now Hardwick has admitted he was aware of the allegations before that press conference