Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Midjack posted:

OK yeah you were not kidding about the cash. I suspected there was some sort of jackpot source of money in the game since it seemed like I never had enough money to develop anything without grinding a bunch of side ops but I blasted a dozen FOBs and that problem was solved. Most of the FOBs I invaded were lightly defended and there were several where I didn't encounter anyone. I did my own FOB once for practice and it seemed to be much more formidable than the ones I was doing. After a while it blanked the "even ranked" list and forced me onto the "higher ranked" list of opponents, though many of those were still easy pickings.

Occasionally you can find Lvl 0 defended FOBs that are stocked full of S++ dudes. I assume people that hack just give themselves a base full of S++ and then they set up that FOB for everyone else to farm. You just go in there and steal everything and everyone. It should be in the list where people designate themself as a target.

More important than a quick infusion of cash, at later levels FOBs are the best source for materials and most importantly, plants. Never sell plants for money. Not even the super common ones. The cap you can hold for each type is 36000, but it takes a long time to get there and most of the lvl 7 and above gear requires a lot of them. Like it costs 8000 peaches to upgrade your FOB cameras at one point. Plants are important for electronics!

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’ve sold off a few jeeps and mortars since it seem like I bring back more every time I get off the helicopter but resources seemed dear enough to hang onto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I just finished Survive. I would have liked it if it was more exploration and less tower defense but once I figured out the mechanics and got some decent equipment under my belt I ultimately had fun with (most of) it. A pity that aside from two optional fights in the postgame there’s only one real boss fight in the game (the Lord of Dust is less of a boss fight and more of an enemy rush).

Out of curiosity, I know your teammates can get sick or injured randomly but can they actually die if left untreated?

A pity this series’ future is kind of dim at the moment as I’d love to see another game one day, be it Rising 2, a 3D remake of the MSX games, or even a shot at another type of genre like they did for Rising and Survive.

Hell, I’d even take another collection at this point, maybe this time with the handheld games included as well (I’ve said it before but I think Portable Ops would be a lot better if you could play it with an actual controller).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mortars, keeps, trucks, etc aren’t a great source of money but you do sell them for more than the cost of the Fulton so it can be worth it.

The only FOBs I ever saw were ever the massive fortresses of maxed out guards and equipment that I could never ever finish (or probably get off the first platform) without a massive investment in the pre-attacks that remove defenses at the cost of your own soldiers and vehicles, or completely undefended platforms with basic levels of guards and weapons that I could get through with a single tranq pistol and fultons. The latter were not common and I barely ever saw them come up in the target list.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The only things I would sell off are precious metals once you have a nest egg of about 10k processed. I'd keep all the mortars and jeeps because of the PF battles. They are stupid, but you can use the PF points to buy materials, plants, and high level staff. Jeeps and mortars go in to the calculations for PF battle scores.

I mentioned this a while ago that I could not figure out how you win PF battles, but I finally figured it out. It's your attack power v. opponent defense durability. Then your defense power v. attack durability. You win if you can surpass the opponents total in fewer rounds than they can. Tie if you take the same number of rounds. High ranked staff, processed materials, and walker gears are the most valuable things to keep. Jeeps and trucks, and attack vehicles (tanks and APCs) count towards your attack power. Mortars, machine count, and AA guns count towards your defense power. You "only" need 1000 of each before you start getting very diminished returns. I hit 1000 tanks and the return goes from 40 points to 1 point. Walker gears give you the most points for each category.

The durability categories are almost entirely driven by staff composition and amount of processed and unprocessed mats you have. GMP held also counts towards it too, but you can only have max 30 million GMP. The most expensive thing I've had is the lvl 4 command platform on my 4th FOB. It was 21 million GMP plus like 600k each of whichever materials it uses. Developed weapons that cost more than 5 million GMP aren't worth chasing. Cost too much to develop and cost to much to deploy with. They're not even useful on FOBs unless your goal is the murder everything on a high level FOB.

Edit: I had a lvl 1 single platform FOB with 200 S++ soldiers show up in the target list for me today.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There are also two projects (Or maybe they were relatively dangerous mercenary missions you had to do?) that give you single use items where one will massively increase your attack power and the other will massively increase your defense power.

But since the PF battles don’t cost anything even if you lose it’s kind of silly to spend the resources to get them and then also use them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

There are also two projects (Or maybe they were relatively dangerous mercenary missions you had to do?) that give you single use items where one will massively increase your attack power and the other will massively increase your defense power.

But since the PF battles don’t cost anything even if you lose it’s kind of silly to spend the resources to get them and then also use them.

Are those the ABMs and liquid fueled missiles? I wondered what those were for.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

The single use items are a mercenary mission that eats up a lot of, at lower levels, your higher ranked dudes. And they don't add that much of a buff. It's not worth it. Just keep all the poo poo you Fulton, keep getting high ranked dudes, and let it roll.

Midjack posted:

Are those the ABMs and liquid fueled missiles? I wondered what those were for.

Yes, those.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Midjack posted:

I’ve sold off a few jeeps and mortars since it seem like I bring back more every time I get off the helicopter but resources seemed dear enough to hang onto.

jeeps and mortars boost your score for the PF Battles (and PF points let you get S++ staff and resources) so they are still good to hang onto. Selling them doesn't generate much cash compared to what a few invasions can get you, and while they're technically not limited they are somewhat of a pain to acquire in large quantities. The weapons emplacements in the open world only respawn once per week, chasing down vehicles will get you like one truck per open world deployment, FOBs let you farm more easily but it's still a couple minutes to farm like 2 machinegun emplacements and maybe an antiair.

Look Sir Droids posted:

More important than a quick infusion of cash, at later levels FOBs are the best source for materials and most importantly, plants. Never sell plants for money. Not even the super common ones. The cap you can hold for each type is 36000, but it takes a long time to get there and most of the lvl 7 and above gear requires a lot of them. Like it costs 8000 peaches to upgrade your FOB cameras at one point. Plants are important for electronics!

One more note is that as soon as you have good enough staff you should start doing the haoma and lutea online plant gathering missions, haoma and lutea are so rare in the open world that 400 just for logging in twice a week is worth it. The purpurea and african peach missions are a lower level and are still possibly worth doing if you have combat deployment missions left spare.

Kibayasu posted:

Look Sir Droids posted:

The single use items are a mercenary mission that eats up a lot of, at lower levels, your higher ranked dudes. And they don't add that much of a buff. It's not worth it. Just keep all the poo poo you Fulton, keep getting high ranked dudes, and let it roll.

Yes, those.

So, look, the end-game/online gameplay loop for MGSV is converting men into resources and better men. You have X amount of men across various levels, you send them off on deployments to get you GMP or plants or whatever and some of them don't come back. Your gameplay replenishes the supply of manpower to do the combat deployment game - both from fulton extractions as well as the "automatic" recruitment when you finish a mission / finish an invasion / whatever.

FOB events give you basically an unlimited supply of A-rank dudes, like you have to fulton at least five per FOB run to get full event points for many of the FOB events, and it's easy to fulton like up to 15 per FOB run if you want to. Turning a couple three of those recruits into an ABM missile or ballistic missile per day lets you win PF battles which lets you get some fuel or some S++ staff, which is worth far more to the endgame economy than a base stuffed full of A-rank staff. It is time gated (like the resource missions) specifically because it is a very favorable trade for you, if I could automatically grind up 20 A-ranks from an FOB infiltration and turn them into 1 S++ rank dude then I would instantly do that.

Even the haoma/lutea are good trades, you lose a couple s-rank staff for basically two weeks worth of running around in the open world gathering every single haoma/lutea that spawns weekly. S-rank aren't particularly rare once you hit endgame and you can buy a lot of them with event points/PF points very cheaply, like you get 10 S-rank staff for doing a single successful 2-platform infiltration or something like that.

At a higher level, the missions that let you convert S into S+ and S+ staff into S++ are also probably worth it - S++ are so hard to get that it's even worth grinding up a couple S+ to get a few "good" soldiers that you want to keep.

Because you have an infinite faucet of A-rank dudes everything below that is literal trash, like if I can make 50k GMP making them die for me doing the sabotage missions then yeah whatever, it's that or dismiss them. Even still, if you are doing FOB events they will pile up faster than you can grind them up and you will have to dismiss some of them.

And yes people have said it before but Snake is an anti-hero in this game, this game is about Snake turning into a warlord who callously sends dozens of staff off to die for him to capture the equivalent of 1000 fuel resources or something. Sure, you'll risk your life saving one wandering soldier or a captured intel agent, but you're shoving hundreds of lives into the grinder for a pittance of resources.

And yes of course if you’re still starting out and your platforms are full of C ranks and you only have a couple S-ranks then don’t waste them on a combat deployment. If you’re coming off the campaign you won’t have an excess. But the way the online gameplay is scaled, soldiers and resources flow a lot more freely. A-rank is a good soldier in single player, S are fairly uncommon, online there is an infinite faucet of A rank and S tank are common as dirt. Offline you get like 200 haoma per week if you go to the effort to harvest it, online here’s 400 just for logging in twice a week, etc. Offline, a container of 1000 processed fuel is a big deal, online here’s 4000 fuel for doing one FOB infiltration on a support platform. The online vs offline economies are scaled very differently, it’s like Mayhem Level 10 on borderlands, once you’ve scaled to that level of loot the normal game doesn’t really have any rewards that will be of interest to you, you’re super OP by the normal standards.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 6, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

jeeps and mortars boost your score for the PF Battles (and PF points let you get S++ staff and resources) so they are still good to hang onto. Selling them doesn't generate much cash compared to what a few invasions can get you, and while they're technically not limited they are somewhat of a pain to acquire in large quantities. The weapons emplacements in the open world only respawn once per week, chasing down vehicles will get you like one truck per open world deployment

It's not once per week. Machine guns, mortars, AA guns, and material shipping containers spawn in every four missions you do. So if you steal an AA gun, you have to run four mission before that AA gun will respawn in the same spot.

Plants spawn in every two times you deploy. You can get more than one truck per deployment because there's often a vehicle in each mission. When you're done with the mission, there will be a truck on circuit near you in free roam. And most of the large bases have a jeep just sitting there. It's still slow going, but you can game it a bit. You can also check the in-game achievements on the Missions tab. You get rewarded with a few machine guns, jeeps, or plants for just random things you'll do. That's also a good way to pick up a few S+ dudes each week.

Haoma and yellow lutea are definitely the hardest things in the game to acquire. There are only like 6-8 total spawn points for haoma in Afghanistan and they're very spread out. Yellow lutea isn't quite as bad and has a cluster area in the Africa map, plus you can get one each time you do Footprints of Phantoms (also gets you 4 walker gears and a truck each time). You can also buy them with PF points, but they are the least cost effective thing to buy. I would only buy staff and fuel/common metals starting out.

Edit: One other thing about PF battles. You still get a big mass of points each week even if you lose or get relegated (top 3 move up a rank, bottom 3 drop a rank). So there's little reason to churn dudes to get a one time buff. The buff only works on ONE PF battle out of the 20 or so you do a week. It's no going to make a big difference in the points you receive. It's better to use deployment slots on getting plants or high ranked staff.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 6, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Look Sir Droids posted:

Edit: One other thing about PF battles. You still get a big mass of points each week even if you lose or get relegated (top 3 move up a rank, bottom 3 drop a rank). So there's little reason to churn dudes to get a one time buff. The buff only works on ONE PF battle out of the 20 or so you do a week. It's no going to make a big difference in the points you receive. It's better to use deployment slots on getting plants or high ranked staff.

winning one additional battle can translate into thousands of PF points, do it five or six times a week (say 3 ABM and 3 ballistic missiles) and it does add up. And iirc the rewards get bigger as you go up ranks, so it is worth it long term.

Again, if you're tight on staff or deployment slots then sure whatever but the value of the dudes you churn is pretty low, they're only A-rank and you have an infinite faucet. At a certain point it is worth it, PF Points are one of the only ways to get S++ staff, otherwise those are hard capped via FOB events (four per type per two week event iirc).

Using PF points for fuel resources can also be really critical to building platforms, as it allows you to "bank" a lot of fuel resources (that don't count against your cap) so you can rapidly upgrade FOB platforms past the "danger stages". Your third and fourth FOB get very expensive at higher levels and you don't want to get stuck at level 2 if you can avoid it as that's still quite an easy infiltration and will attract vultures (particularly support platform).

Yes, it's not a huge, game-breaking amount of points, but PF points are pretty high-value in terms of the flexibility they afford you. They're FOB Event Points with no redemption caps and no expiration date. IMO it's worth it already and if the conversion rate got too much better it would probably be game-breaking.

(but yeah "churning" is right lol, I sound like the people who are min/maxing their credit card reward points)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 6, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

winning one additional battle can translate into thousands of PF points, do it five or six times a week (say 3 ABM and 3 ballistic missiles) and it does add up. And iirc the rewards get bigger as you go up ranks, so it is worth it long term.

It's not significantly different and once you get in to higher tiers, the buffs don't matter at all because they're not going to edge you over. (I think it's +10-20k) You would want to strategically use the buffs where they matter, and that's just not worth your time and will only matter for at most a few battles a week. And might only move you up a little bit.

I just moved up to AAA-. I think the difference between coming in 1st and being in the relegation tier was about 7k PF points. 40k v. 33k. And how much of that difference would be made up by buffs is negligible. They're not going to take you from last place to first place even if you have enough to use for every single battle. The downside here too is now I'm in AAA- I can't compete. I got lucky with the draw last week and now I'm probably getting relegated. So I'm getting less points. The buffs wouldn't save me.

Maybe they make a bigger difference at lower levels? But at that point, you're getting lower rewards. IIRC at BBB- I was getting 21k PF points a week. You need 39k PF points to buy 3 S++ dudes. Can it add up long-term? Yeah. Will it actually add up and is it worth the babysitting? Nope. It's just going to average out.

EDIT: I think PF points should be more generous with materials and plants, at least. Just because the waiting time to accumulate plants, fuel, and common metals is too long and you can't buy enough at once. You can get about 150k resources a week with PF points, which is about half what you need to upgrade one platform on your last FOB. Just let people have more.

Edit 2: If you're gaming PF Battles, you can make up any difference and then some the buffs might give you by doing the short term battles. That will get you 6-7k PF points each time and you can do it about 3 times a week. So between that and your main PF points from the weekly battle, you should be able to get 3 S++ people a week, even starting out.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 6, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Look Sir Droids posted:

Edit 2: If you're gaming PF Battles, you can make up any difference and then some the buffs might give you by doing the short term battles. That will get you 6-7k PF points each time and you can do it about 3 times a week. So between that and your main PF points from the weekly battle, you should be able to get 3 S++ people a week, even starting out.

in my experience the daily battles are full of hackers cheesing. Like, my weekly battles I'm winning almost all the time, in the dailies almost everybody has 10x my attack/defense scores and I'm losing every single time except for 2 draws. Go to the details and they've all hacked themselves thousands of vehicles/emplacements (or I am being slotted into some very high level players).

There simply aren't enough people playing anymore for dailies to work right. Weeklies still work right because you don't have to log in, so all those inactive players with normal counts are there, for dailies everyone who opts in is either hacking or super high level cause very few people are still playing anymore.

(I wouldn't use missiles on an unwinnable battle like that, of course, just saying dailies are pretty hosed up at the lower levels nowadays)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 6, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

in my experience the daily battles are full of hackers cheesing. Like, my weekly battles I'm winning almost all the time, in the dailies almost everybody has 10x my attack/defense scores and I'm losing every single time except for 2 draws. Go to the details and they've all hacked themselves thousands of vehicles/emplacements (or I am being slotted into some very high level players).

There simply aren't enough people playing anymore for dailies to work right. Weeklies still work right because you don't have to log in, so all those inactive players with normal counts are there, for dailies everyone who opts in is either hacking or super high level cause very few people are still playing anymore.

(I wouldn't use missiles on an unwinnable battle like that, of course, just saying dailies are pretty hosed up at the lower levels nowadays)

You don't have to win though. You get 6-7k point just for pressing A one time.

The range I'm in is full of hackers and has been for a while. You're never going to hit the top tier without hacking. Everyone else has over 50k points for AA guns. You need 1000 of them to get 50k points and after 1000 they start counting as 1 point a piece. AA guns are by far the hardest thing to acquire. There's only about 10 total in Afghanistan and only 4 in Africa. Then you have to play four missions for them to refresh. I suppose you can speed this up if you do FOBs all the time and steal those, but that's time consuming too and these people aren't doing that.

One guy this week (who is in first place, imagine that!) has a 100,000+ value for GMP. The cap is 30,000 bc you can only have 30 million GMP. Somehow broke that. Also a full boat of S++ combat guys.

I didn't mention it before, but nukes provide a pretty big bonus almost across the board. A few of these people have them. Most people avoided them in the past because they made you a target and they don't want a big bloody horn, but I bet you could get away with it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=255ArxW2U3g
Futurasound has the first video in a series about MGSV's plot that's pretty interesting in the extent it lays out how deeply the plot is embedded in constant lies and obfuscation at almost every moment. A lot of the details get lost for me when they're spread out over days of gameplay or buried in stuff like enemy chatter, it's neat to see it put together like this.
Also it's bugged me forever that he pronounces it "M G S Vee" every time, but I'd completely forgotten there was a direct tie-in to that in the game (V has come to), which makes it a little better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Also what the hell, Survive is always-online? I've had aggravating spotty dropouts in my internet lately and I was not expecting it to be like HAHA, NO GAME FOR YOU!! when one happened after I was already in the tutorial.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also what the hell, Survive is always-online? I've had aggravating spotty dropouts in my internet lately and I was not expecting it to be like HAHA, NO GAME FOR YOU!! when one happened after I was already in the tutorial.

So... What happens when the servers get taken down?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, does that mean the game straight up just won't function anymore if the servers ever get taken down (I think save data is stored on a separate server as I had deleted the game initially but then later came back and was able to start right where I left off)? As that seems kind of stupid to me.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Is the Indian Ocean the consensus best FOB layout?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, I honestly never thought about it because I had zero intention of doing multiplayer. I just assumed it'd be like MGSV where it just complains a bit but lets you into singleplayer stuff fine.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I honestly never thought about it because I had zero intention of doing multiplayer. I just assumed it'd be like MGSV where it just complains a bit but lets you into singleplayer stuff fine.

I’ve never actually had to play Survive offline (and I never had to bother with the multiplayer stuff either), does it seriously not even let you into the single player mode without an internet connection?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Larryb posted:

I’ve never actually had to play Survive offline (and I never had to bother with the multiplayer stuff either), does it seriously not even let you into the single player mode without an internet connection?

Thats correct.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, well hopefully if and when Konomi ever decides to yank the servers they’ll release a patch for the main game to compensate.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

BrotherJayne posted:

At this point, if anyone is invading you they're probably 1) a newb, 2) already proficient at beating any layout, or if you're on PC 3) a hacker. A newb will most likely get caught on any layout. Not much you can do about the last two. At low levels before your guys can wear helmets and you've researched most of the standard defenses, your FOB is kind of helpless. It can be quickly picked apart with headshot tranqs.

Considering the rarity of invasion now and the relative meaninglessness of what you might lose, I'd just pick whatever gives you better materials refresh for the type you're always short on (fuel and common metal).

It is possible to relocate an FOB too. It costs a lot of MB coins, but you get enough of those for free by logging in Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Edit: Update on short term PF battles. I just came in dead last for the most recent iteration. I got 7300 PF points. That's enough for 28k fuel, halfway to a batch of of 5 S+ soldiers, or 10 S ranked soldiers and enough left over for 9600 fuel. That's not nothing.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 7, 2020

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Larryb posted:

It wont let you play. I have raged at Survive because my connection hiccuped in the middle of a mission and it just boots you back to the title screen and you lose all your progress. Its enraging when some of the missions take over 10-20 minutes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Larryb posted:

Huh, well hopefully if and when Konomi ever decides to yank the servers they’ll release a patch for the main game to compensate.

I doubt Konami would do that for their failed game most people hate.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

It wont let you play. I have raged at Survive because my connection hiccuped in the middle of a mission and it just boots you back to the title screen and you lose all your progress. Its enraging when some of the missions take over 10-20 minutes.

Reason enough to consider it trash and not play it at all, let alone pay for it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I mean it only happened like once or twice and if they released another survive game that leaned hard into the exploration stuff, I would buy it. All of the demo stuff and marketing focused on the base defense stuff when the exploration gameplay and collecting resources was the best part.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I doubt Konami would do that for their failed game most people hate.

Eh, it’s better once you start getting the hang of things but I fully understand why a lot of people don’t like it either.

The game could have used more checkpoints as well rather than just booting you back to Base Camp every time you die, also about 90% of the cutscenes are essentially codec calls.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Larryb posted:

Eh, it’s better once you start getting the hang of things but I fully understand why a lot of people don’t like it either.

I think a lot of people in general never really played it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Reason enough to consider it trash and not play it at all, let alone pay for it.

Personally I'm pretty pissed at them. Like I said, it's not even something I thought to consider because it's an offshoot of MGSV, why would it act any different to play on your own? At least I got the cheap PS4 version.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

blackguy32 posted:

I think a lot of people in general never really played it

Definitely. I did play it and just thought it was okay. It honestly just made me want to play more V though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Kinda annoying for me since my internet isn’t completely reliable. It’ll drop out for like ten seconds at a time occasionally, just long enough to drop the connection for whatever you're trying to do.

At first it turned out to be a problem with the modem, changing to a different brand and model fixed that, it was a weird one because the modem didn't realize it had lost signal, when support accessed the management interface on the modem it showed continuous uptime, finally it dropped while I was on the call with support and they could ping it and see that it was unresponsive.

this spring it’s been back (probably maintenance/general overloading due to everyone working from home), but thankfully it seems to have stabilized over the summer, now it’s only maybe once a month. Pretty sure this is just the network and not on my end though.

It’s really annoying in online games like battlefield or whatever - you drop and then you have to requeue and probably end up on the losing team, was also very annoying for doing FOB since if you drop you lose the infiltration / retaliatory wormhole opens. It's just long enough to ruin whatever you're trying to do and generally piss on your fun.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 7, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BrotherJayne posted:

mid-atlantic ridge seems to be the consensus for the absolute best but really just avoid north atlantic

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/718564-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/75024450

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/4lg8cx/what_is_the_most_hard_layout_to_infiltrate_fob/

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/43jj8g/best_waters_for_fob_layout/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah I'm 99% sure it's not on my end, which is aggravating since there's not much I can do. My old modem got killed by a power outage so the replacement is only a few weeks old, it doesn't seem likely to be the culprit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’m on PS4 so fewer hackers than on PC but yeah, anyone still playing this five year old game is going to be way beyond my level and I probably won’t get big enough to even see their FOBs so I’m just picking through the long-abandoned save files of the community and if the server is pulling from the entire population and not just active players I suspect I’m unlikely ever to see an invasion.

I just pulled out that Eli kid, now did I just rescue Liquid, or Raiden?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Midjack posted:

Liquid, whose entire vendetta was started in my head-canon by being KO'd by a rocket-powered bionic fist before he was even aware of an intruder

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Midjack posted:

I’m on PS4 so fewer hackers than on PC but yeah, anyone still playing this five year old game is going to be way beyond my level and I probably won’t get big enough to even see their FOBs so I’m just picking through the long-abandoned save files of the community and if the server is pulling from the entire population and not just active players I suspect I’m unlikely ever to see an invasion.

That’s Liquid.

As far as getting invaded, I’ve been playing regularly for the past 8-9 months and I’ve been invaded at most once. The one time may be me remembering an invasion log for something that occurred when I didn’t have the game installed. From mid-2016 to late 2019. So that’s one invasion in 4 years. I also invaded someone and someone came in to defend one time in this most recent time period, and I get about one invasion support alert a week. But my FOB security levels are all over 50 and the people on my support list are all goons that got the game at launch.

Don’t make decisions on where to place your FOBs because fear of invasion. If you’re going to get successfully invaded it’ll be because you’re low level and defenseless, not because of the layout. As soon as the layout is a detriment, you’ll be far enough along no one will invade you.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 9, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Midjack posted:

Liquid, Raiden’s real name is Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, he just did “It’s not over yet Snake” in an English accent so it’s Liquid. Plus Raiden would probably still be in diapers at this point anyway.