Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

multijoe posted:

They (wisely imo) decided not to lean into the 'pulp sci-fi space succubus' element of the race I guess?

It's definitely 100% preferable to the show with a horny cartoon succubus slave, but my awful Trekkie nerd brain demands an explanation for why she's normal. Maybe it's the Orion Augment Virus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Maybe it's been explained in the prior 240 pages of this thread, but I'm confused by the Orion character on Lower Decks. She doesn't seem to have any of the drive-everyone-crazy Orion lady pheremones. Are the Orions able to turn those off? Was she born without them?

I think that was always a voluntary process.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

She's got the nude olympic holodeck program to go nuts in anyway.

I mean, or the warp core program. Whatever gets your socks off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Martytoof posted:

She's got the nude olympic holodeck program to go nuts in anyway.

I mean, or the warp core program. Whatever gets your socks off.

Boimler's job is to recharge the crystals.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

There's a fan series out there (can't remember which one) set in the TOS era with a female Orion character, and the explanation they gave with her was that while she's on assignment she regularly takes medication that dampens pheromone production. Something like medication or a drug-dispensing implant would work just fine as an explanation here.

Arc Light posted:

Senior officers treating ensigns and crew like dirt is the most realistic element of naval tradition in this or any other Trek series.

That reminds me of a dumb idea I had the other day. Imagine an episode where one of their fellow low-ranked crewmates suddenly has a complete change of personality, and no one can figure out why this guy doesn't remember who his boss is, but somehow seems more confident and charismatic than before. Of course, it's eventually revealed that Q has sent the successful alternate version of this guy through his own version of "Tapestry", and he's currently stuck in the bad timeline. It needs work, but it's a good comedy premise. (Sadly it will have to be about a new/recurring character, since none of the main cast are old enough to work as "alternate loser Picard".)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Marshal Radisic posted:

There's a fan series out there (can't remember which one) set in the TOS era with a female Orion character, and the explanation they gave with her was that while she's on assignment she regularly takes medication that dampens pheromone production. Something like medication or a drug-dispensing implant would work just fine as an explanation here.

Pretty sure this was the backstory for Ilia in Phase 2/The Motion Picture.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've only really had a passing interest in Star Trek before (more of a Star Wars guy) but I like cartoons and thought the trailer was funny, so I checked it out. It was good!

I like the fast-paced gags, dialogue, and animation. Maybe gags about the holodeck or captain's logs are old hat for the franchise, but they got a laugh out of me anyway. I guess I was kind of surprised to see Star Trek being able to poke fun at itself rather than seeing it parodied by someone else.

In particular, I liked the B-story on the ship during the rage virus, since it set the tone that crazy things happen so regularly to Starfleet crews that even the level-headed, straight-laced engineer didn't let it interrupt his date. The kind of people who are drawn to a life as erratic and dangerous as Starfleet are the sort of people more likely to get worked up about a faulty door mechanism than this week's unknown alien incursion, which if anything feels like more of an acknowledgement of the reality of Star Trek (what sane person would serve on the Enterprise, which has like a 1000% crew attrition rate over its 5-year mission?).

The new person being pumped she got to hold a heart feels like a typical week-one filter process, either the newbies get their first taste of a Starfleet deployment and resign (or die), or they catch the madness and are golden until the ship's eaten by a sentient energy cloud.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marshal Radisic posted:

They should mention that idea to the date rape aliens on the Orville

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
Just watched it. And I didn't hate anything about it, which was a pleasant surprise. I really liked how the show felt like a continuation of 90s Trek lore. Seeing the design language of the show follow the lineage of old Trek really made it feel like the first true continuation of the Prime timeline post nemesis.

The humour fell flat for me throughout though, and none of the characters felt particularly memorable. It's obvious the show is trying to be like Rick & Morty and Futurama, but those shows were anchored by heart that made you actually care about the characters. Based on what the first episode of LD was (small sample size I know), I'm having a hard time seeing how these characters can develop into characters I'll actually like.

Still, I'm very glad I don't hate it. It's nice to have a new Trek show I'm not hate-watching.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Humor-wise, it totally needed Dan Harmon to take a pass at the script.

It felt like it was too fast and a bit to hyper-energetic but I expect it to calm down. First episodes are hard, you're feeling out everything and seeing how it all molds together. In animation doubly so.

Star Trek wise it felt fine. Safe, even. Overloaded with references a bit too much, hopefully that calms down. I can't fault a single episode, which is there to set up the characters and premise, for not having the most intricate or fascinating story. My hope is that we get some notes of there being interesting, challenging stories happening in the background, but it all seems like kind of a mystery to the main characters and they're trying to feel out what's going on, and get maybe only halfway or even a quarter of the way there before it's all over. That feels like what the show wants to do, and I do think it's a funny premise. This felt more straightforward, but again, I understand why you'd want to do that in a premiere episode.

So we'll see what happens as it goes on. I don't expect to get anything more than a hearty chuckle out of it humor-wise, but it's not actively unpleasant or making me cringe like Picard.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's the reason why Lower Decks isn't getting a non-American release again? Were Netflix and Amazon not interested in picking it up for the foreign market like they were with Disco and Picard (at least at first... I heard a rumor somewhere that Netflix has stopped footing such a huge bill for Discovery)?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Drone posted:

What's the reason why Lower Decks isn't getting a non-American release again? Were Netflix and Amazon not interested in picking it up for the foreign market like they were with Disco and Picard (at least at first... I heard a rumor somewhere that Netflix has stopped footing such a huge bill for Discovery)?

Well, there's a Canadian release. In terms of European, I think there's stories that it's going to happen, but no idea when.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want the Bajoran security chief to be always telling crazy resistance stores like "there I was, facing the entire 8th order with only a Rusty spork".

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I know that the Orion pheremone thing was in Enterprise but there was also an female Orion (maybe the same one) on the mirror universe Enterprise and she wasn't driving everyone crazy so I guess they figured it out,

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Officially they couldn't get the deal done in time due to covid moving the release 2 months ahead.

Unofficially it might have to do with CBS All Access launching in more countries and they want to keep some exclusive content. They already sold the rights of New Trek to other countries. Amazon/Netflix are reticent to keep subsidizing CBS.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Well in that case I won't be watching it anytime soon because I'm not going to subscribe to yet another streaming service to watch one show.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I said the same thing about Crave but then I decided that I’ll go hatewatch Disco too once it’s back out, and also realized it has Silicon Valley, Frasier, Seinfeld, and I think I can make the $9/mo worth the expense.

But let’s be real, we’re 100% back to buying unnecessary poo poo just to watch that one show, just like we were with cable and their dumb packages.

This is one instance where I’m kind of glad Canada is getting weird licensing deals because I can’t think of literally any other show on that CBS-only service I’d watch.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 7, 2020

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

:same: I can't really think of anything else on CBS All Access that I'd want to watch enough to justify the cost. The new Twilight Zone maybe? But I watched that on tv recently and it wasn't great.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Netflix almost killed piracy. The 10 billion streaming channels in existence is bringing it back in full force.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

socialsecurity posted:

I at least have a way better idea of who these characters are then after a like entire season of Discovery.

No poo poo right? They did more characterization of more characters in 30 minutes than the entire first season of Disco.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

No poo poo right? They did more characterization of more characters in 30 minutes than the entire first season of Disco.

I don't know any of the characters names yet but 'main character who wants to become a captain one day' is a million times more convincing a character than silly tilly the clutz who absolutely should not have been allowed off-planet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

I preferred Tilly when she was more obviously autistic which I feel like S2 toned down

also the writers certainly seem to think that 'crying at the drop of a hat' is characterization for Michael

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alchenar posted:

I don't know any of the characters names yet but 'main character who wants to become a captain one day' is a million times more convincing a character than silly tilly the clutz who absolutely should not have been allowed off-planet.

I don't even think the Disco characters are bad, it's just that most of them were so shallow that we didn't even know their loving names until S2, let alone anything about who they were.

This show, I know what everybody is about already except for the commander since he spent the whole ep strapped to a bed screaming, which, fair enough.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Martytoof posted:

I said the same thing about Crave but then I decided that I’ll go hatewatch Disco too once it’s back out, and also realized it has Silicon Valley, Frasier, Seinfeld, and I think I can make the $9/mo worth the expense.

But let’s be real, we’re 100% back to buying unnecessary poo poo just to watch that one show, just like we were with cable and their dumb packages.

This is one instance where I’m kind of glad Canada is getting weird licensing deals because I can’t think of literally any other show on that CBS-only service I’d watch.

Yea I want to sub to get access to Doom Patrol, once I'm done Umbrella Academy and Jojo Golden Wind. I completely forgot it had Disco, also all the HBO stuff. I'd really like to watch Rome and Deadwood again, also finally see Sopranos.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, I think Airam was characterized in the same episode she died, the helmslady has never had more than two lines an ep, and the random science mooks around the perimeter of the bridge never get a name much less anything to do;.

:sad:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, I think Airam was characterized in the same episode she died, the helmslady has never had more than two lines an ep, and the random science mooks around the perimeter of the bridge never get a name much less anything to do;.

:sad:

Remember in the first couple episodes of season 2 of Disco when they made a point of telling us the names of the rest of the bridge crew and giving some of them a bit of backstory or a thing to do in that week's plot, and everyone went "hooray, they finally remembered it's an ensemble show and that we like minor characters!" and then they promptly forgot about them entirely and doubled down on everything in the universe revolving around Michael?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I also have seen some people saying its bad because its not Star Trek, with Star Trek being Specifically TNG style using an alien race as an allegory for human conflict.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Q episode.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't even think the Disco characters are bad, it's just that most of them were so shallow that we didn't even know their loving names until S2, let alone anything about who they were.

This show, I know what everybody is about already except for the commander since he spent the whole ep strapped to a bed screaming, which, fair enough.

Commander dude is just Riker and the story is 'what do the crew feel every time Riker comes back from an away mission with a new std?'

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I forgot to mention one thing I absolutely loved about lower decks The bajoran worf guy just plowing through people getting to medical.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I watched LDS, I enjoyed it, I laughed, and I want to watch more. This was good setup, and the relationships between characters gelled really well. There were some decent jokes in there, and I actually laughed out loud rather than a mere sharp exhale through my nose. Bonus points for proper TNG beeps.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I forgot to mention one thing I absolutely loved about lower decks The bajoran worf guy just plowing through people getting to medical.

THAT GUY has more characterisation than anyone in Discovery got.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Stamets, Saru, and Tilly are actually good characters and they should get more screen time.

Culber was a total non-entity in season one, but I did like the “what the gently caress am I” arc they gave him in season two.

Reno needs to be upped to main cast loving pronto.

Michael is good when she’s the straight-man to everyone else’s weird. Unfortunately, they focus more on her pontificating while weeping. Lmao at Spock calling her out on her bullshit multiple times.

Ash is bad and lame and I’m glad he’s gone.

Welp those are my opinions, thanks for listening.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Stamets when he was happy, arrogant, elitist, and snippy was the best Stamets. Everything went downhill for that character when his husband died and never got better when his husband came back.

Give me my rear end in a top hat Stamets back. gently caress, same for Tilly. I want mirror universe Tilly and pretending-to-be mirror universe Tilly to just be main characters on the show.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
That red letter media top 5 TNGs show is much more engaging when they actually like poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apatheticman posted:

That red letter media top 5 TNGs show is much more engaging when they actually like poo poo.

I mean, it's kind of hilarious that the only Trek show Mike seems to genuinely like across the entire franchise is TNG, but yeah it's great to see them saying actual positive stuff for a change. I'm very interested to see what Mike's thoughts on Yesterday's Enterprise are, which I'm guessing is either his #2 or #1 pick. They kind of hinted that it would be.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I still think the dumbest thing about Discovery was what happened with Airiam. She was played by one actress in Season One, then a different actress in Season Two. When they killed Airiam off, she was replaced in her duties as "Spore Drive Ops Officer" (??? That's what Memory Alpha says she did) by another crewmember, Lieutenant Nillson.

Lieutenant Nillson is played by Airiam's original actress.

I only wish I knew what happened behind the scenes that led to this casting decision.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

DaveKap posted:

Stamets when he was happy, arrogant, elitist, and snippy was the best Stamets. Everything went downhill for that character when his husband died and never got better when his husband came back.

Give me my rear end in a top hat Stamets back. gently caress, same for Tilly. I want mirror universe Tilly and pretending-to-be mirror universe Tilly to just be main characters on the show.

Agreed 100%. Bitchy Stamets is top tier.

Also we need way, way, way more Reno.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Snorb posted:

I still think the dumbest thing about Discovery was what happened with Airiam. She was played by one actress in Season One, then a different actress in Season Two. When they killed Airiam off, she was replaced in her duties as "Spore Drive Ops Officer" (??? That's what Memory Alpha says she did) by another crewmember, Lieutenant Nillson.

Lieutenant Nillson is played by Airiam's original actress.

I only wish I knew what happened behind the scenes that led to this casting decision.

Almost certainly they wanted to keep the actress (though god knows why since they give her nothing to do) but she wouldn’t put up with the prosthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
People developing allergies to prosthetic is not uncommon. It could be as simple as that.