Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ok I see all of your points of view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
games.

are srs beussinessz

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

digital foundry is good because they never pull punches in their reviews of technical matters. during the release of anthem they basically said it’s one of the worst AAA releases they’ve ever seen. they slammed borderlands 3 for running bad even though it looks exactly like borderlands 2.

the only annoying thing is one of their reviewers is a huge stan for star citizen but thankfully that’s usually segregated into its own video when it comes up which can be ignored

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Zikan posted:

digital foundry is good because they never pull punches in their reviews of technical matters. during the release of anthem they basically said it’s one of the worst AAA releases they’ve ever seen. they slammed borderlands 3 for running bad even though it looks exactly like borderlands 2.

the only annoying thing is one of their reviewers is a huge stan for star citizen but thankfully that’s usually segregated into its own video when it comes up which can be ignored

the star citizen thing is weird because it’s the very technical guy who clearly has at least some background in game dev or graphics research or something. it’s baffling that he would fall for their ~server meshing~ poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

df is ok.
they got caught just reading quotes from the gears 5 press agent about the tech used in gears 5 that turned out to be highly inaccurate and the guy (john) had to apologize to the youtubers that called him out.
some DF fans got really racially insensitive in the comments because one of the people calling john out was black and unapologetic about his manner of speaking.
i trust their fps data but generally dont listen to anything they say cause a lot of it turns out to be straight from the press packet

like they just covered for halo by agreeing with the devs that the time of day made it look flat when
1. sunset is supposed to enhance images and
2. why did they chose that time of day for the trailer then?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

omg that YouTube you quoted was the worst thing I’ve ever seen

who cares about any of that lmao they guy has like overlaid performance metrics ? lamo

I’ll try the articles

I think videos are going to be that way going forward, now that the consoles offer developers innately the ability to do "performance vs quality" modes. All video game youtubes will be like that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

once machine learning dlss tech gets consolized at some point in the future they can hopefully make cheap units that pump out 720p60 native frames and just have an algorithm make them 4k so we dont have to compromise between cost, fps, and resolution so much

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

is greedfall good?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

euphronius posted:

right I understand if it runs like poo poo avoid it but that video wasn’t anywhere near that succinct

I watched the whole video and the main performance gripe is that there are some tiny hitches during gameplay when certain things happen. IMO they didn't look like a huge deal to me. Not playing at 4K gave good performance though the hitches still existed. Those hitches seemed to be mostly linked to the beginning and end of cut scenes.

The guy also commented that running on "original" (console) graphics settings looked good but recommended medium, which is slightly better. Settings above medium didn't really provide gains you'd notice while playing.

e: By tiny I mean 40-100ms frame delay IIRC.

RandomBlue has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Aug 7, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Marx Was A Lib posted:

i couldn't find the manual for the mobo i had and it was failing to boot with beep codes i had to research, and i gave up pc gaming full stop right then and there.

I live for that poo poo ngl

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

I watched the whole video and the main performance gripe is that there are some tiny hitches during gameplay when certain things happen. IMO they didn't look like a huge deal to me. Not playing at 4K gave good performance though the hitches still existed. Those hitches seemed to be mostly linked to the beginning and end of cut scenes.

The guy also commented that running on "original" (console) graphics settings looked good but recommended medium, which is slightly better. Settings above medium didn't really provide gains you'd notice while playing.

so it runs fine and not like poo poo??

is it a good game ???

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

sebmojo posted:

I live for that poo poo ngl

i used to, until i started letting capitalist assholes extract my job as value and return as little of that value back to me as they can get away with.

i'll even go so far as to say that i'm good at figuring out and fixing problems, but it's become so toxic as a means of self-preservation that i just can't stomach it during my leisure hours.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

euphronius posted:

so it runs fine and not like poo poo??

is it a good game ???

If you don't care about steady 60FPS at 4K then I'd say the performance is fine but not great.

define good

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

RandomBlue posted:

If you don't care about steady 60FPS at 4K then I'd say the performance is fine but not great.

define good

you can’t get steady performance at literally any settings on any machine (except consoles). the game hiccups constantly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

does it work : good

does it not work : bad

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
please keep in mind that i have obsessive nerd brain and maybe most normal people don’t care about regular frame hiccups or whatever, i don’t know. fuckin video games

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

What it if works but also destroys your PC at the same time?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

What it if works but also destroys your PC at the same time?

like melt it ?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

like melt it ?

That's one of the possible options sure. It can also just delete all your files at some point in time.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
he's turned every PC into a ticking time bomb!...

"I'LL DESTROY THIS ESS JAY DOUBLE-U COMMUNITY, AHAHAHA"

And only one gamer has the power to stop it....

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

oh my lord

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Lostconfused posted:

That's one of the possible options sure. It can also just delete all your files at some point in time.

:ccp:

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space
I usually really like DF videos (and I missed the Gears scandal because I don't give a gently caress about Gears), but the video that got the DF fanboys racist undies in a bunch is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkxdlS-c6eg

Complete dressing down. Pro click.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

king thrash is my fav console war youtuber.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, that one is weird. Like Collector, there isn't a mission to get you there, and then once you get there, there's a gimmick to get them connected.
yeah i did the collector a bit late and wishe i did ti earlier. but holy gently caress he loving sucks to connect up. it requires traversing that obnoxious terrain and then getting down to him blows. i've damaged so much loving cargo falling down in those ravines and trying to get to him. and especially without being on the chiral network there to place bridges/zips.

speaking f which ive finally ran out of chiral network bandwidth :smith: I guess i better optimize my zipline network

Frog Act posted:

oh what? i didn't even know there was something there to connect. i guess i should go fart around that area that isn't on the network until i find it, i thought it was the cosplay artist and then when it wasn't i thought maybe it just was not on the network at all
yeah i missed him the first time around and figured I'd come back to it. The Collector also gives you a 3 or 4 star item that's really loving good. without spoiling it, you'll want to have it before you do the Mountain Knot poo poo.. at least if you value your VIP cargo :twisted:

i haven't gone back to the starting area yet, but do those Capital Knot/Port area poo poo have 5-star things and give you rewards or no? right now im doing this peter engel pizza/champagne quest and holly gently caress i have to carry poo poo by hand I forgot how rough that was.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Aug 7, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Xaris posted:

yeah i did the collector a bit late and wishe i did ti earlier. but holy gently caress he loving sucks to connect up. it requires traversing that obnoxious terrain and then getting down to him blows. i've damaged so much loving cargo falling down in those ravines and trying to get to him. and especially without being on the chiral network there to place bridges/zips.

speaking f which ive finally ran out of chiral network bandwidth :smith: I guess i better optimize my zipline network

yeah i missed him the first time around and figured I'd come back to it. The Collector also gives you a 3 or 4 star item that's really loving good. without spoiling it, you'll want to have it before you do the Mountain Knot poo poo.. at least if you value your VIP cargo :twisted:

i haven't gone back to the starting area yet, but do those Capital Knot/Port area poo poo have 5-star things and give you rewards or no? right now im doing this peter engel pizza/champagne quest and holly gently caress i have to carry poo poo by hand lmao

i had no idea he was there until these posts and i just now found him. dang, i was feeling burned out on the game, but then i find a new prepper and im like gently caress I GOTTA DELIVER STUFF

i wonder if that pizza guy, englebert, will ever have more, too. and i gotta assume everyone gives you at least the fun cosmetic star, but i doubt they have any rewards like the preppers have so far, since mooost places just seem to give you some kind of semi-improved resource like lightweight metal or whatever once you've five starred them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Frog Act posted:

i had no idea he was there until these posts and i just now found him. dang, i was feeling burned out on the game, but then i find a new prepper and im like gently caress I GOTTA DELIVER STUFF

i wonder if that pizza guy, englebert, will ever have more, too. and i gotta assume everyone gives you at least the fun cosmetic star, but i doubt they have any rewards like the preppers have so far, since mooost places just seem to give you some kind of semi-improved resource like lightweight metal or whatever once you've five starred them.
yeah it's not obvious and man he suuuucks to get to. i thought cosplayer was annoying but collector is the worst atm. some of the mountain preppers suck but at least i can zipline between them really easily now.

i've been taking breaks but its good fo catching up podcasts while doing non-main quest stuff because it's area you've already seen and no real dialog/music. right now im like 10 episodes behind on trueanon and cumtown so that's been nice just putting pocketcasts on my second monitor and banging them out while banging out some generic delivery stuff and 5-starring dudes.

also wtf i was hanging outside south knot city by mama lab, it was raining and i saw a huge cluster of chiral hands so i parked my vehicle under a timefall shelter, walked over and plucked them and went to go back to my vehicle and I see it being loving eaten by a black pool of grabbing hands and destroyed it. wtf i wasn't even in BT area, there were also 2 NPC porters standing under the shelter that then started stealing my poo poo and wouldn't give it back loving lmao what the gently caress

i cant even be mad because it was weird as poo poo but i had like 8000 metal and 4000 ceramics in there and some other cargo that i had to then go run and grab another truck.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Aug 7, 2020

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

euphronius posted:

This guy is streaming it on PC, you can decide for yourself if the hitches are too much: https://www.twitch.tv/dasmehdi

Watched a little and they were noticeable and seem a bit annoying. Not sure I'd avoid the game because of them though.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
If you're trying to five-star everything in DS, one thing you should know is that you get expotentially more points and rewards for delivering bigger loads. This doesn't matter as much more little out-of-the-way locations that level up fast, but it matters a whole bunch for, like, Mountain Knot or other central locations that take forever. Keep an eye out for insanely big deliveries to those locations because it's the only way to do them reasonably quickly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

This guy is streaming it on PC, you can decide for yourself if the hitches are too much: https://www.twitch.tv/dasmehdi

Watched a little and they were noticeable and seem a bit annoying. Not sure I'd avoid the game because of them though.

thanks man I forget about twitch

man all open world games seem really the same . not sure what is setting this one apart

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

If you're trying to five-star everything in DS, one thing you should know is that you get expotentially more points and rewards for delivering bigger loads. This doesn't matter as much more little out-of-the-way locations that level up fast, but it matters a whole bunch for, like, Mountain Knot or other central locations that take forever. Keep an eye out for insanely big deliveries to those locations because it's the only way to do them reasonably quickly.
good to know

is there anything to 5-star in the starting area or rewards for doing so? i can't remember but i did get an email about something shining near the incinerator so i should prob go back and check

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

euphronius posted:

man all open world games seem really the same . not sure what is setting this one apart

Giant mecha-dino hunting man.

e: Personally I got bored with the first few hours of the game when I tried it previously but everyone is saying it gets way better once you get the purple bow or something and you should beeline for the main?/first city to get that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

It has a pretty fun backstory/world-building that i enjoyed. also you get to setup traps and stab/shoot robo-dinosaurs with bow and arrows and use some fun tactics to kill giant poo poo.

the actual open-world parts are pretty lame though, i usually suggest just sticking mostly to the main and then wandering off as you feel like it, maybe checkout the factory caves bc they're cool.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

RandomBlue posted:

Giant mecha-dino hunting man.

e: Personally I got bored with the first few hours of the game when I tried it previously but everyone is saying it gets way better once you get the purple bow or something and you should beeline for the main?/first city to get that.

ya i was the same way but it really opened up/got a lot faster-paced once you go to Meridian, i feel you can get too bogged down in open world slurry early on doing pointless lizard Gamer Brain OCD camps and poo poo, and it's pretty barebones feeling early on that it's not that engaging. definitely just stick to main poo poo and get to Meridian. the purple bow gives you an absolute ton more ways to kill/arrow types and setup traps and poo poo that it makes combat a lot more interesting than just poking with a stick forever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

those seem like pretty good hooks to justify 40$

it’s a shame the lead character is like the whitest looking person imaginable

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

I mean it's not a GOAT MUST PLAY or anything, but i liked it a lot once i got past the initial hump. if money is tight, it's already been cracked and you can pirate it first. save should be compatible still if you want t buy it later.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

it's on PC now so maybe we'll get some alternate MC mods, but you're....unlikely to be happier with them if I had to guess

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xaris posted:

ya i was the same way but it really opened up/got a lot faster-paced once you go to Meridian, i feel you can get too bogged down in open world slurry early on doing pointless lizard Gamer Brain OCD camps and poo poo, and it's pretty barebones feeling early on that it's not that engaging. definitely just stick to main poo poo and get to Meridian. the purple bow gives you an absolute ton more ways to kill/arrow types and setup traps and poo poo that it makes combat a lot more interesting than just poking with a stick forever.

days gone, ghosts, and hzd all fell into this trap this gen from sony. i want to see them put out more games like god of war where you can kick rear end right from the start with a crazy set piece fight and it only ramps up vs these slow burns where you need several hours to even participate properly in the game's systems

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Real hurthling! posted:

days gone, ghosts, and hzd all fell into this trap this gen from sony. i want to see them put out more games like god of war where you can kick rear end right from the start with a crazy set piece fight and it only ramps up vs these slow burns where you need several hours to even participate properly in the game's systems

I bought a PS4 just to play God of War and it was worth it. Such an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

RandomBlue posted:

I bought a PS4 just to play God of War and it was worth it. Such an amazing game.

same but Bloodborne, and then I played GoW and was like drat ok this also made it worth it. definitely my second favorite game on it. it was a nice wombo combo to play. HZD was pretty good too but other than that I could have thrown my PS4 in the trash and been happy.

i wonder if sony is going to bring GoW to the PC. maybe depends on how well DS/HZD sell.

e: apparently it might actually be coming t PC, there's some rumors it's not the last exclusive to be ported.