Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

...Can I heavily advise to reinforce our worlds at this current rate, especially since army recruitment is seperate from ship recruitment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
If army stuff really does pull from a separate industry than that used for supporting naval buildup then I would second increasing our ground-based armed forces.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've been steadily building garrison troops, including STOs. What I'm building is getting somewhat dated, and we only have 4 recruiting centers on Earth. Until we allocate serious resources to the army, all I can do is build at the current rate.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

What is the composition of our STOs anyway then?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Sign me up for being a space pilot, ideally of some fighter ship. There shall be no retirement, only fiery death :black101:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Xarn posted:

There shall be no retirement, only fiery death :black101:

If you're lucky, the fiery death won't even be yours!

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 7, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

What is the composition of our STOs anyway then?

code:
STO Beam Gun Battery
Transport Size: 2,485 tons
Build Cost: 297.4 BP
2x Battalion Commander 2100
5x STO Beam Gun 2100 (str 2 particle beam)
80x Infantry 2100
5x Infantry Logistics Wagon 2100
code:
STO Point Defence Battery
Transport Size: 2,496 tons
Build Cost: 452.3 BP
2x Battalion Commander 2100
13x STO Point Defence Gun 2100 (25% acc, 3x shots gauss cannon)
75x Infantry 2100
5x Infantry Logistics Wagon 2100
As you can see, dated. I usually have two or three PD batteries for every beam. If we researched the next level of Carronade (only 2000RP), we would have a pretty fiercesome next generation STO gun.

Xarn posted:

Sign me up for being a space pilot, ideally of some fighter ship. There shall be no retirement, only fiery death :black101:

Got you in at Lieutenant Commander, you currently command a old Gladius FAC, but have a high statistic in fighter combat, once we get a carrier remind me to reassign you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I haven't a clue on how to manage the ground units in this game, it's extremely grog even by the ship design standards.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I agree, I really miss the old system. I tend to make very simplistic ground units, though our starting ground units are overly simplistic.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'd suggest just making a dedicated STO battalion/formation and make sure it's labelled as stay out or combat, if it's being attacked directly it means you've probably lost the ground battle already.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Normally I'd agree entirely, I really tossed these together anticipating we'd replace them quickly. So I intended them to serve as both garrison and protection from missiles. However, their role has kinda evolved since then into something which really demands new templates with new troops.

We do have some just pure troops formations, but they are designed only for riot suppression, not alien incursions.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Virtual Russian posted:

Normally I'd agree entirely, I really tossed these together anticipating we'd replace them quickly. So I intended them to serve as both garrison and protection from missiles. However, their role has kinda evolved since then into something which really demands new templates with new troops.

We do have some just pure troops formations, but they are designed only for riot suppression, not alien incursions.

Sounds like I should vote for more ground force investment in hopes of getting a ground unit design contest next vote cycle :)

I've never gotten into ground units much, so it should be interesting.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm not going to do ground force design contests. I'm happy to workshop designs or vote on variants, but ground unit stuff like command chains is way too interdependent to do one off contests. Sorry to disappoint. I can detail the ground unit process though, as much as I loathe it.

informal vote: fluff wise, do we want our military's armored units to be tanks or mechs?

The next update is going to be huge, sorry for the novel in advance. I'm pushing through to the point where we have meaningful tech advances and can make warships that are not simply stop-gap compromises.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
mechs

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Tanks are the realistic choice but then again this is a universe with magical physics-defying materials, so why not mechs.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Mech huge bipedal machines are clerly the future of warfare.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
How is that even a question? Of course mechs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that's why I at first thought the numbers were referencing distances in real space, measuring light years. I remember that being an option in Aurora, or did I just look at this poo poo and thought wrong the entire time?

I just noticed on my home game for Aurora that the galaxy set-up screen actually does take light years into account for where to spawn NPRs, so it looks like I was wrong. I have no idea how those fields actually get applied by the game, but by default NPRs won't spawn within 25 LY of the player's home planet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm not going to do ground force design contests. I'm happy to workshop designs or vote on variants, but ground unit stuff like command chains is way too interdependent to do one off contests. Sorry to disappoint. I can detail the ground unit process though, as much as I loathe it.

informal vote: fluff wise, do we want our military's armored units to be tanks or mechs?

The next update is going to be huge, sorry for the novel in advance. I'm pushing through to the point where we have meaningful tech advances and can make warships that are not simply stop-gap compromises.

Bolos are cool but Mechs are cooler.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How about a compromise?

(Mechs)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

Never apologize for large updates. :justpost:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Virtual Russian posted:

mechs come on how is this even a choice

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ok great, that's also kinda what I wanted to go with. Just wanted to check in.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Bolos are cooler than Mad Cats.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

if we can get mechs and bolos at the same time, that's what we should do. like, light/medium mechs backed up by superheavy tanks or something.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The Colonial Office had been sated. After extensive maintenance overhauls their fleet of exploration and survey vessels were to embark on a long-term mission to explore the areas of space far from the Kooken threat. There they would seek out new worlds to colonize and use to build up the strength of the Union of Terra. The Colonial Office knew they were ushering in a new age for the Union, but they could never have foreseen the consequences of their actions.

The galaxy as known to us on January 1st, 2112.

January 1st, 2112

Our uneasy and unspoken truce seems to be holding with the Kookens. Their ship maintains a watch over the Accatran-Voss Jump Point, now dubbed “Jump Point Charlie.”

March 3rd, 2112

Having completed a maintenance overhaul on Earth, the DSS Douglas Mawson was put under the command of El Spamo, who was tasked with the exploration of the unknown space around the Nearpoint System. While this was seen by most as the complete reinstatement and rehabilitation of the officer’s reputation, there were those that suspected this assignment was meant to otherwise occupy an officer currently voicing controversial opinions before the public on Earth. Meanwhile the crew of the Douglas Mawson simply hoped there would be no repeats of the Maler incident.

March 9th, 2112

DelilahFlowers develops a medical problem.

We also complete our survey of the Tarantis system. I order the DSS Iosif Samuliovich Shklovsky to pass through the closest unexplored jump point in that system.

March 23rd, 2112

After years of bad luck and misfortune the discovery of Lapis Majoris was thought to be destined to become a symbol of the renewal of the Union of Terra’s dedication to exploration and expansion. Unanticipated was just how important a discovery this was.

Travelling though one of two unknown jump points in the Tarantis system, the DSS Iosif Samuliovich Shklovsky has discovered a new system, which was promptly named Lapis Majoris. This triple star system contains 11 planets, which have a total of 44 moons. There are 460 asteroids. There is a single planet that is easily colonized with a cost of 1.34, requiring only an increase in temperature to become perfect. Remarkable, it also contains a single perfectly habitable planet, requiring no infrastructure. As usual, we’ll have to wait until we have geological surveys done to really understand the value of this system, but without a doubt this will be an important system. Of note is that this system contains three Venusian planets, which almost always have immense caches of minerals.

I will not be holding my breath waiting to find out if aliens occupy these worlds.

Above is the newly updated map of the galaxy as we know it.

March 26rd, 2112

As the DSS Iosif Samuliovich Shklovsky closed in on the first moon on their survey itinerary the thermal sensors began to pick up a tiny but distinct heat signature. The crew quickly ruled out the possibility that this could be volcanic activity or any other natural phenomena, without a doubt this was some sort of alien outpost. Almost immediately some form of radio communication was picked up, impossible to decode, there was no way to know if this was a manned or automated installation. The crew swung into action, communication was relayed back to the High Command and Admiralty. The crew received orders immediately: they were to determine how much of a presence the aliens held in this system, and were to assess if it was possible to rapidly establish a foothold in the system.

The galaxy is getting very crowded. Odds are we popped another NPR, but we could also be running into one of the other starting NPRs, though this is a bit close for that.

March 31st, 2112

We begin to receive communications, we also find out that Lapis Majoris A – III, the low cost but not perfect planet, is free of alien colonies. Onto the next one.

April 27th, 2112

We discover another very small outpost, the idea that we could easily stake a claim here is rapidly diminishing. Further complicating matters is that we cannot seem to understand them at all.

May 12th, 2112

Nearing it’s final objective, the DSS Iosif Samuliovich Shklovsky picked up the distinct thermal signature of a colony, making matters worse it is of the almost exact same size as the Kooken world. The report of this information dashed the High Command, and especially the Colonial Office’s hopes for establishing a colony in the Lapis Majoris system. Now the arduous task of translation and negotiation would begin in earnest.

Looks like they might not be very developed. Thus far we haven’t seen a single space-faring vessel, though they no doubt have them, they must just be low power and not yet showing up.

May 12th, 2112

As I suspected, they have a ton of ships idling at low power, it’s too early to tell what they could be capable of. They have 100 ships or varying power outputs, many of their ships idle around 75-90 thermal, which indicates a lot of very powerful ships. We just might have popped another superior NPR.

May 27th, 2112

We spot an Anubis Class Kooken vessel in deep space in the Sol system. Most disturbing is that its heading matches no stellar body, nor jump point. We cannot rule out the possibility that they have discovered a dormant Jump Point in Sol. This would be terrible luck on our part.

The GB Aristarchus, commanded by Commander Pyroi, is dispatched to shadow the vessel while in our space.

Meanwhile, in Lapis Majoris, we see one of their vessels briefly power up. What we see is a vessel signature typical of the previous generation of engine technology we possessed. At least it seems we don’t have two advanced neighbors. It was a commercial engine, on a vessel capable of doing 2,000km/s, which is much harder to assess without tonnage.

May 28th, 2112

The 28th brings a flurry of activity, most notably we establish communication with the Aliens located in the Lapis Majoris system. They call themselves the Theocracy of Dharampur, we are going to quickly make our exit from their system, hoping not to spark any diplomatic incidents.

We also complete critical research into our construction rate, all our construction factories will now be 20% more effective, this will be a huge boon to our industrial capacity in Sol. The research teams are dispersed among the numerous active research projects.

Before the GB Aristarchus can catch up to the Kooken Anubis class vessel it disappears off our scopes, the vessel is ordered back to earth.

July 4th, 2112 – 13.10

The destruction of the listening post at Jump Point Charlie happened so quickly the crew were barely able to radio in a report before being forced into the escape pod. The news of this spread like wildfire through the Admiralty, panic quickly set it. So little was known about the Kooken vessels capabilities, even less was know about their intentions. A decision was made, the colonial strike group present at Makho’s Folly was to immediately engage the Kooken Fleet, gain reconnaissance information, and fire their ordnance as opportunities presented. They would then retreat to Makho’s Folly for refueling, followed by an immediate withdrawal to earth for taking on up-to-date missiles.

The Kookens launch a surprise attack on Jump Point Charlie. Our cold war has undeniably gotten a lot hotter. The Colonial Strike Group will conduct a reconnaissance attack on the Kooken Fleet. It will then retreat towards Sol for safe reloading and forming up with the rest of the fleet. Once we have more information on the composition of the Kooken fleet we will know if a fleet action is feasible.

I order Colonial Strike Group 001, Commanded by Flamester, to head to the Voss-Accatran jump point. Once it gets closer and I know the Kooken attack vector I will give it more specific orders.

July 11th, 2112

Travelling though the remaining unknown jump point in the Tarantis system, the DSS Iosif Samuliovich Shklovsky has discovered a new system, which was promptly named Caliban. This double star system contains 5 planets, which have a total of 16 moons. There are 14 asteroids. There is a single planet that is easily colonized with a cost of 1.10, requiring only a decrease in temperature to become perfect. The system contains one Venusian class planet, and has colony cost two planet that could also make a nice colony.

So help me god if there are aliens here too. At least maybe they could tie up the Theocracy.

The galaxy as we know it now.

Meanwhile our strike force is bearing down on the last know position of the Kooken Battle Fleet.

July 13th, 2112 – 03.36

Our strike force arrives at the site of the attack, there is no sign of the Kookens on their active sensors. Facing a need to refuel, they will pick up the survivors of the listening post and return to Makho’s Folly.

July 22th, 2112

The five survivors of the listening post have been safely returned. Having failed to engage the enemy we have been denied any intelligence we could have gained, but at least we have not lost any vessels. I find it exceedingly difficult to glean what the Kooken stance towards us is. They also refuse to communicate with us.

August 12th, 2112

Another Anubis moves over Makho’s Folly. I’m not wasting this opportunity; I’m going to ping it with an active. We need more information on the Kooken vessels, an active sensor ping will get us tonnage. I’m also going to send a diplomatic cable requesting they leave. At the slightest provocation every STO is going to open fire.

Here’s what we got.

November 5th, 2112

Further complications, the Theocracy is now exploring extensively. They’ve sent a survey vessel into Sol, I politely ask them to leave the system.

On the upside we have researched a range extension for our lasers. I quickly design new lasers and set to researching them.

November 8th, 2112

Travelling though an unexplored jump point in the Nearpoint system, the GEC Paul Gotz has discovered a new system, which was promptly named Balorius. This double star system contains 11 planets, which have a total of 35 moons. There is a single planet that is viable candidate for terraforming, requiring only a little oxygen added. The system contains one Venusian class planet.

The galaxy as we know it now.

November 13th, 2112

At last some good news, the Theocracy of Dharampur is willing to be reasonable and have an open dialogue. This gives me some flexibility and breathing room. If the Kookens wander into Sol again I’m going to try to shoot them down. We can’t salvage yet, but when we can having a hulk of theirs would be immensely valuable.

December 12th, 2112

The Lone Badger retires from naval service at the age of 33, we must have a really good early pension program.

December 29th, 2112

The Caliban system is showing some real promise so far, we found some alien ruins alongside large, but hard to access deposits of TN minerals.

January 3rd, 2113

We complete research into our new vastly improved 12cm laser. Work immediately begins on the quick firing 10cm version.

January 22nd, 2113

Late January sees a flurry of retirements, let me know if you want to be recommissioned into the Navy. This is getting somewhat troublesome, as everyone’s going to retire before the war kicks off it seems.

On the upside, travelling though the remaining unknown jump point in the Nearpoint system, the DSS Pierre Savorgan de Brazza, under command of DelilahFlowers has discovered a new system, which was promptly named Juno. This single star system contains 8 planets, which have a total of 49 moons. There are also 59 asteroids. There is a single perfect planet that is colonizable without infrastructure. If the system is Alien free, we will get them set up immediately. The system contains two Venusian class planet, and has multiple colony cost two planets that could also make decent colonies given the right mineral deposits.

The galaxy continues to grow.

January 27th, 2113

Arath completed research into Xenoarchaeology. Next up is a combat engineer vehicle, which will help us fortify our troops, as well as will help us dig up alien artifacts. Of course, we’ll need to research mobile Xenoarchaeology labs before we can dig anything up…

February 6th, 2113

We discover a connection between Esteban and Olymbia, this significantly alters the layout of the galactic map. I’d say this new connection isn’t bad or good, it isn’t really connecting any high value systems.

We also complete a few more Inspector Gadgets.

The new updated version of the galaxy.

February 19th, 2113

After years of inactivity, the garrison and listening post on Europa snapped into action. A Kooken Anubis class vessel had just strayed into their sensor range. The information was quickly relayed back to the Admiralty, who instantly passed orders down to the commanders of the latest, and fastest vessels the fleet had. Three corvettes were soon powering up their engines and plotting a course to intercept. Their captains briefed that they had clearance to shoot down this intruder.

An Anubis Class Kooken vessel pops up on Europan sensors.

I quickly scramble a group of Inspector Gadgets, they are given orders to close to firing range, while a message to leave immediately is sent. The commanders of each vessel are Not Alex, Xarn, and LostCosmonaut.

February 20th, 2113

As we close into active sensor range their vessel begins to pull away.

February 21th, 2113

The atmosphere in the Admiralty was tense as the squadron closed in on the Kooken Anubis class vessel loitering around Jupiter. Once the Commander NotAlex ordered the actives turned on and the Anubis locked onto. The Kooken vessel immediately juked and altered course, now running towards the Accatran Jump Point. The corvettes were in hot pursuit, rapidly overtaking the slower Anubis.

Suddenly, they were right on top of it, firing range. Commander NotAlex radioed for approval to open fire. They expected the go ahead, and had already begun warming the particle beam, finally they would have their revenge for the Maler and listening post.

However, they were told to stand by, and keep pace with the Anubis. Something was wrong. The Admiralty relayed that another situation was rapidly evolving, and the High Command didn’t want any radical action to be taken. After what seemed like hours of radio silence, the order came in: stand down weapons, chase the Anubis out of the system, and then report to the Admiralty for debriefing.

We rapidly close the distance, as we get close to firing distance they turn and start running for Accatran Jump Point. However, as I’m about to open fire we pop yet another NPR. Not wanting to potentially kick off a war with the Kookens with such an uncertainty looming, I decide not to fire and simply chase the Anubis out of Sol. This is accomplished without incident.

We really need a diplomacy vessel…

I've got a bad feeling about these guys. We establish communication and begin the usual process of translation. At least their colony seems smaller than Earth.

March 4th, 2113

Research is completed into the improved 10cm laser, the teams will be dispersed among the various projects we have running. I also set a lab onto the task of the next range improvement for lasers.

April 10th, 2113

While pouring over the endless and constant communications they were being sent by the Juno Aliens, Commander Innocent_Bystander was urged to look out the viewing window of bridge by a junior officer. The familiar sight of the massive alien vessels looked somehow different. The commander realized there were hundreds of small flashes emitting from all over the vessels hulls. Before anyone could process what was happening an avalanche of weapons fire fell upon the helpless science vessel. The entire bride crew was instantly killed as the vessel collapsed under weight of such overwhelming firepower.

Commander Innocent_Bystander, who recently took command of the vessel to spearhead translation, is killed in an unbelievable onslaught of weapons fire. The grotesque bugs flying a flag that unmistakably is Earth and Luna, have demonstrated they possess more firepower than several multiples larger than our entire navy.

We at least can assume it will take them some time to find their way to us.

June 29th, 2113

Months pass without incident, we do briefly see the Kooken Battle Fleet jump in and back out of Accatran. I try not to worry about that.

Most importantly the end of June sees the much-anticipated research of Composite Armor, as well as the development of a new high-performance military engine. We are now ready to create the next generation of warship.

In recognition that the odds are stacking up against us, I’m going to spacemaster us a bit of free “quality of life” research. I’m awarding us some basic technology techs which will unlock a lot of basic functional modules for us. These are all 5000RP techs I really should have grabbed at the start, but I feel we are now so pressed for research we will never have time to go back for these. Thus, we are getting for free the following: Salvage Module 500, Sorium Havestor module, and the Orbital Mining Module.

Admiral Polatkan demanded that this last affront to the Union of Terra be the last we must endure politely. The Admiral firmly demanded that the approved naval program must finally be started, it had after all been passed in the previous decade. There was no longer any valid reason to put of the production of formidable fighting vessels. Furthermore, the Union of Terra was now facing potential Alien threats from all side, and lacked any vessels which could go toe-to-toe with a hostile fleet and survive. At long last, the navy was to have a vessel they could truly be proud of.

+++++++++ Ship Contest +++++++++

Of highest priority: Design a Battleship for production in our 33,267 ton naval shipyard. This vessel needs to be able to operate effectively inside our empire, but need not be capable of extended operations without a tanker. Preferably, it would be capable of doing so with a tanker. These vessels must be heavily armored, as thus far all our potential opponents have been seen operating beams as a primary attack method. In accordance with our doctrine, these battleships should be able to fight with beams of their own. They should have a chief engineer position. New components are likely unavoidable, but should be kept to a minimum. There is an existing engine, that while very thirsty, should suffice. We can anticipate a much better fuel situation once these battleships are completed.

Secondly: Design, or update, a corvette for production in our 3,386 ton naval shipyard. This vessel will be produced during research and construction time of the battleship. New components should be able to quickly be researched.

Of lowest priority: Commercial Vessels, we have a 100,000 ton yard and a 50,000 ton yard, which will be voted on separately. Please design whatever commercial vessels you think we need, explaining why. If possible a Diplomacy Vessel sure would be helpful.

Edit: Toss around some Terraforming station designs too please! We have to build up, not out now.

+++++++++ End of Ship Contest +++++++++

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trqf22wjmkjswe3/AuroraDB.db?dl=0

There won’t be a policy vote until mid decade. I'll leave the contest open for at least 24 hours. If it needs more time I'll allow another day. Usually we have enough designs very quickly.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 8, 2020

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

What the hell? I've never seen a game so off-the-walls. Not just the 3 powerful NPRs right on our doorstep, but also the tons of low- and no-terraforming required planets. My current game has 21 known systems with 0 aliens and 0 perfect worlds discovered.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

You can imagine how every time I see one of those worlds I get so happy, only to find some fresh new hell.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, this feels like we'll soon be in an RTS game scenario where the 3 factions are fighting over our territory.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh boy, this feels like we'll soon be in an RTS game scenario where the 3 factions are fighting over our territory.

Hey, at least the Cardassians who fly Federation ships are nice to us... If we get a diplomacy vessel I bet we could even trade with them!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

you fool, they're just trying to subvert us through other means!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
They're going to sell us their root beer. Friendly, and bubbly...and happy.

That's how they get you. You don't even know you've lost the war--or even that there was one--until it's too late.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
What's the range requirement the BB needs?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

OddObserver posted:

What's the range requirement the BB needs?

I would say 10 billion is plenty. 8 billion would be short but doable, 12 ideal. I know this means fairly large fuel reserves to maintain both speed and proper range. My test designs all took at least 2 years to produce, so by then we should be in a way better fuel position. Especially is we get some sorium stations/sorium harvesters.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Pyroi posted:

They're going to sell us their root beer. Friendly, and bubbly...and happy.

That's how they get you. You don't even know you've lost the war--or even that there was one--until it's too late.

I'm sure it will be fine, I just met the most interesting fellow; one of their tailors if you'll believe it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What a mess.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

LLSix posted:

What a mess.

Agreed, those last two NPR popped on a 15% chance.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm fairly certain now that the Kookens are firing lasers at us, as we saw an uneven number of 4 str shots. Meanwhile, the Juno Bugs seem to be firing railguns and gauss, at least with those numbers I pray that is what it is.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

We really do have no choice but to wage an offensive war should we wish to expand and not be blocked in by hostile powers now huh. Was hoping we could keep a strong defensive line against the Kookens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
OK, let's thrown a mediocre-ish beam ship to start things off a bit?

Pros/Cons:
- No missiles, which may be a mistake, since it's dependent on getting in range. I am hoping someone will put together a nice missile BB.
- 4x carronades have a heck of a kick
- 4x dual-purpose quad laser turrets also provide a lot of firepower..
... but 10 sec recharge rate makes them dubious as point defense. This sort of setup works better with nicer capacitor tech,
that can get them down to 5/sec --- 10 cm/C3, or 12 cm/C4. It's also a bit awkward, since might need to shuffle fire controls depending
on range.
- Not sure if shields are enough to make a difference?

Edit: at least this shows that 4x new engine and 10x large fuel storage is a good starting point to get decent speed + meet range requirement when filling out the tonnage cap.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 8, 2020