Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

finally the mcelroy brothers are cancelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
man i would love to see the full hasbro pipeline of how that fuckin troll doll was conceived and brought to market. presumably at some point an entire team of people had to design/implement the troll vagina button, complete with very weird audio, and be like yep this is a good feature to have on this children’s product. then it made its way to marketing, and i guess that team consciously thought to themselves “uh maybe our copywriters shouldn’t mention the troll vagina button, seems weird”. just... bizarre stuff

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/SamParkerSenate/status/1291047766320267266?s=19

Yeah this dude is on the level sure.

Also it looks like that's how it sits. Wondering if there's a playset its supposed to interact with.

loving gross stupid decision though but I know EXACTLY how it happened, bystander effect.

No one wants to be the guy who sexualizes the new product, and the later it got in production, the more people shut the gently caress up because someone mentioned it by now, right?

No need to lose a job or end up in HR pointing out the troll doll vagina button to the bosses in phase 4 of production.

Wasabi the J has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Aug 7, 2020

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Is that second flag even real or is it something invented to delegitimize normal LGBTQ iconography

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Is that second flag even real or is it something invented to delegitimize normal LGBTQ iconography

Yes, Yes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also don't forget to report hate speech on social media at all times.

Make the assholes work to spread bullshit.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Jack Ketch posted:

Probably a tad too crack-pinged but it's fishy.

Lol

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Loucks posted:

I’m 100% not dying on any “the doll is good, actually” hill. just my thought after looking at the video and having been around kids and their toys.

valid

These people all have republican style schizophrenia from being repeatedly owned by democrats

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1286356923999232005

lol

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
What happened to the fun/terrifying things that this thread used to have?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

What happened to the fun/terrifying things that this thread used to have?

child trafficking isn't fun, pal

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the wildest part about the last four years is that everything liberals hate actually owns and everything they love is absolute trash, like jk rowling and margaret atwood are lovely people, but guy fieri does a ton of quiet charity work and icp did a rally against trump

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

inferis posted:

the wildest part about the last four years is that everything liberals hate actually owns and everything they love is absolute trash, like jk rowling and margaret atwood are lovely people, but guy fieri does a ton of quiet charity work and icp did a rally against trump

Can someone give me the TLDR on why Atwood sucks? A ton of people have told me to read her stuff, and I never got around to it.

Is Ursula Le Guin still cool?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Can someone give me the TLDR on why Atwood sucks? A ton of people have told me to read her stuff, and I never got around to it.

Is Ursula Le Guin still cool?

she was friends? acquaintances? with ghislaine

and this i guess

https://www.flare.com/news/margaret-atwood-feminism/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1291850479291506689?s=19
https://twitter.com/POLITICOMag/status/1291851625376747520?s=19

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

GWBBQ posted:

Elimination of oppression and reclamation of that technology for the public good are inextricably connected.

Some applications are unneedful in free equal societies - a free equal society that isn't bombing the gently caress out of folks doesn't need advanced invasive DNI for anyone who isn't an amputee, it doesn't need either enhancement for its ruling caste, or eugenics programs for 'economic competitiveness', and it doesn't need loving combat drugs.

quote:

i see epstein as not just a spook connected blackmail pedo but as operating at the vanguard of a new kind of techno fascism.

I strongly agree with this take; if we survive the current fascist irruption - not a sure thing by any means - that is the next nightmare on the horizon.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Aug 8, 2020

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The transhumanist, replacing limbs with cyber equivalents part of Cyberpunk has aged really poorly. Why would a company let someone own their cyber arm instead of owning a license to the cyber arm that can be revoked at any time, comes with built in monitoring and advertising software that tracks the amount of times, length of time, and force used to jerk off, and restrictive DRM that doesn't let it work within 6 feet of a competing company's net connected device?

Gibson really dropped the ball on the legal end of the corporate dystopian future.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
counterpoint: entire city police forces disabled because hackers upload ransomware onto their Glock-Dynamics murderlimbs

poor fuckers won't even be able to jerk off!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

OutOfPrint posted:

The transhumanist, replacing limbs with cyber equivalents part of Cyberpunk has aged really poorly. Why would a company let someone own their cyber arm instead of owning a license to the cyber arm that can be revoked at any time, comes with built in monitoring and advertising software that tracks the amount of times, length of time, and force used to jerk off, and restrictive DRM that doesn't let it work within 6 feet of a competing company's net connected device?

Gibson really dropped the ball on the legal end of the corporate dystopian future.

In this world of rapidly maturing exoskeletons, cybernetic strength enhancements look like folks being shot over a hot 5 megabytes of ram.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/1291897079246266368

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

Why? The legal end only matters if there is a third party (the state) that can enforce the laws. In a cyberpunk setting corporations usually have total control already so they don't need to impose whatever legal and licensing restrictions that exist today. Just like in the matrix the individuals are so completely integrated into the corporate system that advertising and laws are inferior forms of psychological control. There's also ways to circumvent any laws or legal restrictions, or whatever DRM that's built in. That's the punk part.

Your main point stands though that older cyberpunk stories did not predict invasive "advertising" as we see it today. It comes up in more current stuff like recently in Ghost in the Shell 2045.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

http://archive.is/Srtp6

what the gently caress

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

everyones hosed up makin a flat bread but why post it? :thunk: :goofy:

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

StratGoatCom posted:

What really annoys me of course, is anarcho-transhumanists or other transhumanist 'leftists'; what kind of excuse for a 'black cat' sees the origins of all that poo poo and tries to reclaim something liberatory out of tech born to create better oppressors or ways of thinking about living systems born of our societies never-really-finally-dealt-with eugenicism issue? It's complete brain worms.

I just wanna be a trans cyborg

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

The human body is already janky enough as it is without aftermarket bullshit.

And that's before antibiotic resistance.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tjadeth posted:

I just wanna be a trans cyborg

teh plot of neon genesis evangelion, but instead of giant combat robots they bolt on robotic strapons and do battle

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Delta-Wye posted:

teh plot of neon genesis evangelion, but instead of giant combat robots they bolt on robotic strapons and do :airquote:battle:airquote:

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Why would Assad have death camps. Why did Saddam gas the Kurds. It loving works. Assad won the war and we shouldnt be there but im grossed out by ppl trying to make him not look like the disgusting killer he is.

Wait I thought saddam's gas attack on the kurds was shown to use a type of chemical weapons he didn't have?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Lostconfused posted:

Your main point stands though that older cyberpunk stories did not predict invasive "advertising" as we see it today. It comes up in more current stuff like recently in Ghost in the Shell 2045.

It was a big deal in Transmetropolitan from 1997. Buy-bombs, Ad-pollen etc.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
heres a reddit post that has prob been posted here but i thot was kinda funny. maybe u will too..

https://www.reddit.com/r/okbuddyretard/comments/i6hof4/holy_crap_guys/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yikes-a-Roni

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

did everyone read the tokyo bank robbery link i posted? a little crack ping fro. the far east

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

thotsky posted:

It was a big deal in Transmetropolitan from 1997. Buy-bombs, Ad-pollen etc.

There's a bunch of comic book stuff I missed out on. I mostly ended up reading old sci-fi. It usually didn't bother with mundane stuff like marketing, besides stuff like Red Dwarf where Coke was destroying solar systems for an advertising campaign.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

dios mio...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This thread amplifies the voices of so many closeted biotruthing / anti trans / right wing / religious nutjob tweeters.

Wasabi the J has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Aug 9, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Know thy enemy and all that, with a hearty dose of gazing long into the abyss.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

This thread amplifies the voices of so many closeted biotruthing / anti trans / right wing / religious nutjob tweeters.

drat.. voices being amplified :eng99:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Kingfish posted:

drat.. voices being amplified :eng99:

i mean, probably not a good idea to seriously post tweets from a guy saying trans people are using kids toys to normalize pedophilia

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

did everyone read the tokyo bank robbery link i posted? a little crack ping fro. the far east

Its def hair raising to walk into a bank and hand poison a bunch of people and just get away. I read all the related ones and they also had a theme of the Japanese police brutally beating false confessions out of people they can kinda pin stuff on on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

it also led me to the JNR 3 mysterys

https://www.japanpowered.com/history/the-japanese-national-railways-incidents-enduring-mysteries-from-post-war-japan

lefty radicals? Japanese gladios? Whos knows?