Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I always wondered what states like wyoming did in place of texas history as a kid

In New Mexico we talked a bit about the Conquistadors and tribal history (nothing detailed, just enough to not pretend bad poo poo didn't happen which is a fair bit more than most folks seem to get), and also made fun of Texas history.

Thanks to the textbook consortium being steered by Texas, even Wyoming learns Texas history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the CYOA KImmy Schmidt episode:
Netflix is throwing serious shade at HBO and Game of Thrones.
You can kill the reverend three times (sudden bazooka, Kimmy 'splodes!) and the third time he will call you out on it.
I got the bad ending? The one where Jacqueline ruins #timesup.

Ultimately it's not as fun as Bandersnatch.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Bruceski posted:

In New Mexico we talked a bit about the Conquistadors and tribal history (nothing detailed, just enough to not pretend bad poo poo didn't happen which is a fair bit more than most folks seem to get), and also made fun of Texas history.

Thanks to the textbook consortium being steered by Texas, even Wyoming learns Texas history.

remember the alamo :texas:

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Alhazred posted:

Watched the CYOA KImmy Schmidt episode:
Netflix is throwing serious shade at HBO and Game of Thrones.
You can kill the reverend three times (sudden bazooka, Kimmy 'splodes!) and the third time he will call you out on it.
I got the bad ending? The one where Jacqueline ruins #timesup.

Ultimately it's not as fun as Bandersnatch.

The scene after killing the reverend three times definitely got the biggest laugh from me in the whole thing. I also got the same ending as you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Handsome Wife posted:

The scene after killing the reverend three times definitely got the biggest laugh from me in the whole thing. I also got the same ending as you.

Kinda hosed up that the reverend went to heaven after all the poo poo he did though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone get to the outtakes yet? When you call Donna Maria listen to the Christmas song, twice lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone seen Welcome to the Paradox? It popped up as a sci-fi anthology show that was all up on YouTube.

e: After watching a handful of episodes, most of the series is a dud. But one episode is really a standout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYE1VF5Ud8I

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 9, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the new Transformers cartoon on Netflix and man, they made these character models way too toy like. Like they wanted to make it so that the character models could actually transform into the vehicle mode but it also makes the characters look kind of crappy.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm overwheed by the amount of television I can access on my streaming devices. What do you guys use to curate the shows you all watch: blogs, podcasts, apps, web 3.0?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What do you mean? There is a lot of stuff but there isn’t a lot of stuff I really am interested in watching.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm overwheed by the amount of television I can access on my streaming devices. What do you guys use to curate the shows you all watch: blogs, podcasts, apps, web 3.0?

I watch a lot of trailers

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished dark s3 and it was good. it was kind of hard to care about any of the characters due to the million bajillion plotholes but... it looked and sounded really good I guess

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

S3 definitely does some characters dirty but overall I liked it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Microsoft Excel. Tomorrow evening, I plan on watching the last episode of From the Earth to the Moon, an episode of American Dad! from two weeks ago, and a Doctor Who reconstruction of the ninth episode from The Daleks' Master Plan. This is, of course, after Game 5 of Toronto-Columbus finishes. I'm booked TV-wise until October, depending on whether or not Brooklyn Nine-Nine comes back by then (I have back-up plans in case production hasn't resumed by them).

e: Wait, this question is how I find good things to watch? poo poo, I'm still watching season four of Battlestar Galactica, don't trust me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Been smoking a bunch of weed and started watching Star Trek: TNG and it's good af, plywood sets and all. Humanity being good and pure is really what I needed atm while people in real life are horrible monsters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Been smoking a bunch of weed and started watching Star Trek: TNG and it's good af, plywood sets and all. Humanity being good and pure is really what I needed atm while people in real life are horrible monsters.

I'm watching Lower Decks!

It's not great so far!

Edit: oh my god it's so bad!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 9, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It doesn’t have any jokes. I can tell by tone and delivery that they meant to have jokes, but there aren’t any.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

To be honest, I feel like you need to be high to enjoy the first two seasons of TNG.

I rewatched Encounter at Farpoint last year for probably the first time since the mid-90s and even with knowing how bad those first seasons of TNG were, I was struck with just how bad the pilot was.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

e: Wait, this question is how I find good things to watch? poo poo, I'm still watching season four of Battlestar Galactica, don't trust me.

:allears:

Assuming you haven't been spoiled on the end this is a delightful statement to read over a decade after having seen the finale myself.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Orville does this for me because compared to TNGs culture in stasis where everyone just listens to classical music and reads ancient literature and has debates for fun a world where people still watch television and enjoy movies and get beers with their friends after work feels way closer to a world I'd actually want to live in.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Chairman Capone posted:

To be honest, I feel like you need to be high to enjoy the first two seasons of TNG.

I rewatched Encounter at Farpoint last year for probably the first time since the mid-90s and even with knowing how bad those first seasons of TNG were, I was struck with just how bad the pilot was.

I don't think they're bad, at least what I've seen so far. I like the 60s sci-fi short story feel of the episodes. My father in law has been watching a lot of 50s/60s western tv reruns (Gun Smoke, Wagon Train, Maverick, etc) and TNG has a real similar feel, I dig it.

Sleeveless posted:

The Orville does this for me because compared to TNGs culture in stasis where everyone just listens to classical music and reads ancient literature and has debates for fun a world where people still watch television and enjoy movies and get beers with their friends after work feels way closer to a world I'd actually want to live in.

I like the more abstract, timelessness of TNG for some reason. This distinction feels like a chocolate and vanilla choice, they're substantially different from each other with their flavor profiles but they're still sweet tasting in the end.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I like the more abstract, timelessness of TNG for some reason. This distinction feels like a chocolate and vanilla choice, they're substantially different from each other with their flavor profiles but they're still sweet tasting in the end.

Yeah, they're both springing from the same problem of how we don't know what the culture and entertainment of the world will look like in the future and how it would be both a ton of work and incredibly alienating for the audience to invent an entirely fictional canon to draw upon. And if you do it poorly then you get something like Captain Kirk doing donuts in the parking lot to Beastie Boys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had to take a break from Lower Decks it's so goddamned bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m just glad The Orville doesn’t really use any media from the past 30 years or so. If you’re too current it ends up dating things incredibly quickly.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I had to take a break from Lower Decks it's so goddamned bad.

If you're having this violent a negative reaction early enough in the 26-minute episode to "take a break" you should probably just stop watching.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I refuse to watch Lower Decks just because of the Sam's Club Rick and Morty animation style but from everything I've heard it sounds exactly like what would happen if you take a person whose entire claim to fame is running a Twitter account that makes jokes about Star Trek and then having them helm something that has to last more than two text messages. Being able to tell jokes as part of a writers room is a completely different skillset than being a showrunner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Handsome Wife posted:

If you're having this violent a negative reaction early enough in the 26-minute episode to "take a break" you should probably just stop watching.

Well also I had to poop.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the new Transformers cartoon on Netflix and man, they made these character models way too toy like. Like they wanted to make it so that the character models could actually transform into the vehicle mode but it also makes the characters look kind of crappy.

See I actually really liked that. I just really like the G1 cheesy aesthetic, makes me feel like a kid again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it's clearly not a very high budget show, but I do like the blocky lo-fi style they went for. Also all the voice actors really nail their impersonations and they seem to be mostly unknowns?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is my favorite take on what people in the TNG era should think is "classical music":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiyZEbGSHnY

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chairman Capone posted:

This is my favorite take on what people in the TNG era should think is "classical music":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiyZEbGSHnY

My first real exposure to TNG was people making edits of it on YTMND in like 2006, it's amazing that it's been such a wealth of meme content for like 15 years at this point.

The orchestra scene in The Orville was great because the show's soundtrack is done by the Hollywood Chamber Orchestra and the entire scene was done partially as a way of letting them actually get to be on screen at least once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awuAT2G6kQA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Search Party is the most goddamn stressful comedy Ive ever seen

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that Youtube does that's really annoying is sometimes forgetting if I've watched something and so it recommends a video again and then I start watching it before I realize I've already seen it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get the opposite where it marks videos as watched that I’ve never seen.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I fall asleep to a lot of Youtube videos, so they are simultaneously videos I have watched and haven't watched.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

One thing that Youtube does that's really annoying is sometimes forgetting if I've watched something and so it recommends a video again and then I start watching it before I realize I've already seen it.

I hate this. It seems to delete your watch history after like a year, and also it'll just recommend poo poo it knows you watched already like a day later.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oh jay posted:

I fall asleep to a lot of Youtube videos, so they are simultaneously videos I have watched and haven't watched.

I do this with Hulu and it makes the way itll start already watched episodes at the end so, so annoying. The Hulu support keeps saying it’s fixed but it’s obviously not. I think it’s because it automatically skips the credits so most episodes aren’t marked as finished when you watch them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

For some reason Hulu marks a bunch of stuff I've watched unwatched, specifically their original series. It's annoying because I would think a new season was available but nope, just the same stuff

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I do this with Hulu and it makes the way itll start already watched episodes at the end so, so annoying. The Hulu support keeps saying it’s fixed but it’s obviously not. I think it’s because it automatically skips the credits so most episodes aren’t marked as finished when you watch them.

I've been rewatching Barry, and all the episodes start up with 5 minutes left, since they have the credits, behind the scenes, and a preview at the end of each. Too much for them to detect that as the end of the episode I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oh jay posted:

I've been rewatching Barry, and all the episodes start up with 5 minutes left, since they have the credits, behind the scenes, and a preview at the end of each. Too much for them to detect that as the end of the episode I guess.

It happens to me on shows where it even plays the title cards. I think it skips to next riiiight before it hits the 0 seconds remaining so Hulu just saves a place instead of marking it done. It’s so stupid, it’s done it for years. It was even worse when you couldn’t reliably remove stuff from your watch history but they added that back to the browser UI a few weeks ago, thankfully.