Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

No. If the bug is specifically tied to a placeholder engine, requires too much work to be corrected and is in a certain level of acceptability, CIG doesn't correct it. It have been said many times.
SC is full of placeholder engines (flash engine, DX11, Cryastro, starmap, etc). It will take too much time to correct all bugs on those engines that will be replaced by new one. Correcting all bugs of temporary engines is a waste of time.

quote:

That's what they do from the beginning, they change whole pieces of the engine.
Their engine can't be called Cryengine/Lumberyard anymore with all that have changed in it. And they haven't finished...

quote:

I don't know if they still need to change the core of game engine atm. If so, they are more to the end than to the start.

A list given by Clive Johnson about what have been done / is worked atm (some elements in this list are not about the game engine CE/LY). If you want details about some specifics point (like 64 bits, bind culling, removal of LUA or the refactor in C++) you can find specific posts about it.

I don't give this list to say 'never done before', all those techs are used in other games. I give it to show the huge mass of work done.
  • 64 bit precision coordinate system conversion
  • 64 bit entity id conversion
  • Physics grids
  • Zone culling system
  • Game rules and game mode refactor
  • Memory manager
  • Batch workers
  • Background workers
  • Fiber support
  • Build system
  • Crash handler
  • Entity components
  • Update scheduler
  • Entity hierarchy
  • Entity aggregates
  • Object containers
  • Spawn batches
  • Serialized variables
  • Remote methods
  • Serialized metadata
  • Serialized snapshots
  • Entity lifetime policies
  • Asynchronous entity spawning
  • Asynchronous entity removal
  • Bind culling
  • Client Object Container Streaming
  • Server Object Container Streaming
  • Persistence
  • Item system
  • Vehicle system
  • Actor system
  • Network message queue
  • Datacore
  • Language support
  • Weapon system
  • Transit system
  • IFCS
  • ATC
  • Mission system
  • AI
  • Subsumption
  • GPU particles
  • Motion blur
  • Deferred renderer
  • Lighting
  • Shadow rendering
  • Volumetric rendering
  • Planetary tech
  • Weather effects
  • Clock synchronisation
  • Telemetry
  • Audio engine
  • Render to texture
  • Fluid simulation
  • Cloth simulation
  • Water/ocean rendering
  • VOIP
  • FOIP
  • DNA character customizer
  • LUA removal
  • Megamaps
  • Client crash recovery
  • UI
  • UI building blocks
  • Signed distance fields
  • Camera system
  • Animation system
  • Unification of first and third person persperspectives
  • Encryption
  • File system
  • Delta patcher
  • Star map
  • Quantum travel
  • More shaders than you could shake a stick at
  • Debug server renderer
  • Attachment system
  • Parallel network processing
  • Headless clients
  • Network entity replication
  • Atmosphere rendering
  • Melee combat
  • Cover system
  • Interaction system
  • Room system
  • Actor status
  • Diffusion
  • Entitlement system
  • Matchmaking
  • Lag compensation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen straight up has to be one of the worst looking "ultra good graphics" games I've ever seen lol. Christ.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

:thermidor:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/UuqgdAA.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

That's it, that's the good stuff.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I don't think this thread needs that kind of post.

Someone reboot the Mirificus bot, I think it's seen to much.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
just nuke the entire world already jesus loving christ

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

:stare:

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Mirificus posted:

Agreed with you. While waiting for a friend to get online last night, I popped over to M&V's over in Lorville a d had myself a whiskey and cola. Personally I'm a vodka man, but I'll make due.

Imagine the kind of person that thinks this is gameplay. “Whelp guess I’ll just have to make do with the wrong imaginary drink well done CIG.”

Also wtf kind of bar doesn’t have vodka.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm not entirely sure about that, to be honest. A lot of backers would be pissed, for sure. But on the other hand "Chris is a visionary but a terrible manager" is absolutely the current like 'midpoint' of dissatisfaction with the project for backers who still want their game. How much of that is just talk, I don't know, but it's a pretty commonly expressed opinion in the brown sea.

Agree, I see this a lot. It is the perfect rationalization and face save strategy for invested shitizens.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Please don’t go down the rabbit hole of the Reddit histories of the hardcore citizens. We’ve been through this before and we all know it can only lead to one of two things, creepy sex stuff or alt-right chudery.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

Please don’t go down the rabbit hole of the Reddit histories of the hardcore citizens. We’ve been through this before and we all know it can only lead to one of two things, creepy sex stuff or alt-right chudery.

what ever could you mean

https://twitter.com/SpearmintVR/status/1290283526861053954?s=20

https://twitter.com/SpearmintVR/status/1288847479476297730?s=20

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:yikes:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

same

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Blue On Blue posted:

what ever could you mean

what in the gently caress

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

list of obviously bullshit technical terms someone put together at the last minute

I'm clock synchronization. It took a team of 6 working for several months to make me, and I'm still only Tier-0, but already so advanced other companies should be begging to licence this tech.

Tier-0: Please connect to the CIG website and carefully synchronize your PC's clock before playing.

Tier-1 (upcoming in ~2 weeeks): the game will automatically synchronize in all clocks in your home to match Universal Stimpire Time when you connect to the 'verse, handle dynamic space-time zone change during your travels and relativistic changes from the great flight model custom built by Chris Roberts!

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Now, I'm no fancy computer games maker, so maybe I don't know all this done, but placeholder engine?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
What the hell’s a pyon?

e: i em dum

Flared Basic Bitch fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 8, 2020

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwwBYzU2gE

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Wharf the hell’s a pyon?
anime brain disease

just like ~tildas~

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wharf the hell’s a pyon?

The inevitable consequence of reading this thread.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Wharf the hell’s a pyon?

It is cutesy Japanese onomatopoeia for the "sound" of hopping, often applied e.g. to bunnies. It is also sometimes used in sentences as an affectation of cuteness.

But terminal anime brain disease is a better description in this case.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

The inevitable consequence of reading this thread.

We’ve gazed too long into the abyss...

boviscopophobic posted:

It is cutesy Japanese onomatopoeia for the "sound" of hopping, often applied e.g. to bunnies. It is also sometimes used in sentences as an affectation of cuteness.

The internet... anime... humanity was a mistake.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boviscopophobic posted:

Alas, I was too late

(~)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well hell, the Stadia thread is closed. Any other good tire fire type threads out there?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Next plane I hijack, this is going straight into the 8-track!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That is...... Uh.... One hell of a thing Clifford is into now.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well hell, the Stadia thread is closed. Any other good tire fire type threads out there?

Why did they close the thread? It’s been 8 months, is Stadia a decent service now? It’s been a long time since I’ve heard anything about it.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Stadia will only be good once they secure Star Citizen as an exclusive.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Why did they close the thread? It’s been 8 months, is Stadia a decent service now? It’s been a long time since I’ve heard anything about it.

lol, no. The only thing that kept it active was HA who is a google shill. He was banned. Then the final days were arguing over Android vs. Apple selling your information.

In other words, there wasn't much to talk about Stadia because like SC, it is pretty much a complete failure and no substance. But always amusing to read how millions upon millions deliver jack poo poo.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Oh come on. A placeholder engine?!?!?! This has to be a troll.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Ramadu posted:

Oh come on. A placeholder engine?!?!?! This has to be a troll.

Check the FD forums yourself if you don't believe :) I think this person escaped from The Invention of Lying 2: A Scam of Citizers, wherein Robert Space, Envisioneer, realizing only he can lie, plots to scam half a billion dollars from cretins who repeat verbatim every marketing slide he can produce about the best game ever imagined while gladly paying for the privilege. The plot twist is he walks away with ten of millions in his own pocket scott free having never produced a game. Pretty shocking film really.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Blue On Blue posted:

what ever could you mean

Well that's enough thread for the day. Man, I managed to close this one out before 9 AM, I'm gonna be so productive today

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

Well that's enough thread for the day. Man, I managed to close this one out before 9 AM, I'm gonna be so productive today

hotelcalifornia.mp4

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So, I've been playing a lot of Grounded lately. It's an early-access survival game where you and your friends get "Honey I Shrunk the Kids"-ed and have to run around a back yard trying not to get eaten by spiders:

It hit early access like a week ago, so obviously it's full of bugs (haha get it) and a lot of stuff doesn't work exactly right, and the storyline quests basically stop after the first three. And it follows the exact same survival game mechanics that you might find in something like The Forest - hit stuff with an appropriate tool type, gather the little pieces that fall down, use it to make bigger stuff - even down to the "can only carry 6 logs at a time" deal. By all rights it's pretty simple stuff that doesn't bring a lot of complexity to the picture. But I was watching a Star Citizen streamer try out the new mining truck this morning, what with all its different types of beams and varying percentages of yields or whatever, and I realized I would 10000% rather have this "make a hammer, use it to hit rocks to make a better hammer" poo poo because it actually feels connected to the game. Whatever complexity is there is in service of making the game fun, not just wedged in there because some fat idiot was like "We have to have the most detailed rock-hitting simulator of all time" and imo it's better that way. Anyway that won't be news to anyone but it did get me thinking that Star Citizen sorta shot itself in the foot right out of the gate because in order to be able to make money they had to show incredibly detailed poo poo instead of being like "here's some grey squares, use them to shoot at other grey squares."

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:eng99: How can server meshing etc be built upon server code this bad?

Hello,

I think we all know pretty well how bad the server code currently is. Only two keywords are necessary to summarize the situation: desync and 30k. Server meshing and item cache (required for full persistence) were announced by CR during his 2018 CititzenCon keynote as the key milestones on the "road to release". [1]

But how can you technically implement those technologies on top of such bad server code?

Is that the reason why we've been getting no news on the progress of those milestone technologies? Or will server meshing actually improve the situation by decreasing the load on the individual overloaded servers?

What can be done and what is currently being done or planned to improve the server code issues?

Thank you.

:trustme: @Clive Johnson CIG@cjohnson

Building Server Meshing on top of unstable servers or where players experience desync is not ideal but is the only realistic way to do it.

I have previously posted about what causes server crashes (most often the cause of the infamous 30000 disconnection error) and what we are doing to address them. Hopefully you don't mind if I just lazily copy paste the link here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/server-issues-30k/3034939

Sever instability could be even more detrimental for Server Meshing than it currently is for separate instances simply because a server crash could affect more clients than are connected to a single server. We're planning to address this in a couple of ways. First, Server Meshing will try to minimise the connections between servers, breaking up the universe into isolated islands of simulation, so that when a server in one "island" crashes it cannot affect those servers and clients in other islands. Second, we'll be adding server crash recovery so when a server does crash a new server will spin up and restore the state of the crashed server from persistence (clients of the crashed server will probably still be 30k'd back to the main menu but then given an option to join the new server). Both of the above are big reasons why full persistence and S-OCS are required before Server Meshing can work. Of course, we'll also continue fixing server crashes as quickly as we can once they have been discovered.

Desync is often used to describe a wide range of issues including stuttering, teleporting, rubber banding, high latency, as well as true desync, where objects are in completely different states on different clients and won't recover. Different symptoms have their own causes and without the correct information it is often difficult to reproduce these bugs internally. When reporting desync issues to the Issue Council please be as specific as possible as to what it is you have actually seen and provide videos where you can (preferably with the r_displaySessionInfo = 1 QR code enabled). What we do know, however, are the major causes for these different types of desync. "True desyncs" are usually caused by a logic error in some piece of code and the only way to fix them is to reproduce the bug and track down where the logic error is occurring. Stuttering, teleporting and rubber banding, are most often caused by low server frame rate or by sudden frame spikes (a frame that takes a lot longer to process than the frames immediately before or after it) on a client or the server. The best way to fix these is optimising the code to improve average frame rate or eliminate the spikes. But, as part of our work on Server Meshing, we've been working on ways to make the network code more resilient to low frame rates and frame spikes. My team (network) also has tasks to fix the spikes occurring in our code (but there are also spikes in other systems that their teams will need to address). High latency can be caused by low server frame rates and high bandwidth between clients and server. Additionally some frame spikes can cause high bandwidth (and therefore latency) or can be caused by them. We do have tasks to optimise bandwidth and look at other techniques for reducing or hiding latency. Some are on other teams and will be rolled out gradually according to their schedules. The ones on my team are currently scheduled for after we've got Server Meshing working but, as with everything in game development, plans may change and we'll continue to monitor the situation.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Kosumo posted:

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm starting to think Chris Roberts does not know what he is doing.

Woah, just slow down there tiger.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

You can tell Chris' brain is frozen in the time period when colored lighting in 3D accelerated games was an exciting new feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Quavers posted:

:eng99: How can server meshing etc be built upon server code this bad?

Hello,

I think we all know pretty well how bad the server code currently is. Only two keywords are necessary to summarize the situation: desync and 30k. Server meshing and item cache (required for full persistence) were announced by CR during his 2018 CititzenCon keynote as the key milestones on the "road to release". [1]

But how can you technically implement those technologies on top of such bad server code?

Is that the reason why we've been getting no news on the progress of those milestone technologies? Or will server meshing actually improve the situation by decreasing the load on the individual overloaded servers?

What can be done and what is currently being done or planned to improve the server code issues?

Thank you.

:trustme: @Clive Johnson CIG@cjohnson

Building Server Meshing on top of unstable servers or where players experience desync is not ideal but is the only realistic way to do it.

I have previously posted about what causes server crashes (most often the cause of the infamous 30000 disconnection error) and what we are doing to address them. Hopefully you don't mind if I just lazily copy paste the link here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/server-issues-30k/3034939

Sever instability could be even more detrimental for Server Meshing than it currently is for separate instances simply because a server crash could affect more clients than are connected to a single server. We're planning to address this in a couple of ways. First, Server Meshing will try to minimise the connections between servers, breaking up the universe into isolated islands of simulation, so that when a server in one "island" crashes it cannot affect those servers and clients in other islands. Second, we'll be adding server crash recovery so when a server does crash a new server will spin up and restore the state of the crashed server from persistence (clients of the crashed server will probably still be 30k'd back to the main menu but then given an option to join the new server). Both of the above are big reasons why full persistence and S-OCS are required before Server Meshing can work. Of course, we'll also continue fixing server crashes as quickly as we can once they have been discovered.

Desync is often used to describe a wide range of issues including stuttering, teleporting, rubber banding, high latency, as well as true desync, where objects are in completely different states on different clients and won't recover. Different symptoms have their own causes and without the correct information it is often difficult to reproduce these bugs internally. When reporting desync issues to the Issue Council please be as specific as possible as to what it is you have actually seen and provide videos where you can (preferably with the r_displaySessionInfo = 1 QR code enabled). What we do know, however, are the major causes for these different types of desync. "True desyncs" are usually caused by a logic error in some piece of code and the only way to fix them is to reproduce the bug and track down where the logic error is occurring. Stuttering, teleporting and rubber banding, are most often caused by low server frame rate or by sudden frame spikes (a frame that takes a lot longer to process than the frames immediately before or after it) on a client or the server. The best way to fix these is optimising the code to improve average frame rate or eliminate the spikes. But, as part of our work on Server Meshing, we've been working on ways to make the network code more resilient to low frame rates and frame spikes. My team (network) also has tasks to fix the spikes occurring in our code (but there are also spikes in other systems that their teams will need to address). High latency can be caused by low server frame rates and high bandwidth between clients and server. Additionally some frame spikes can cause high bandwidth (and therefore latency) or can be caused by them. We do have tasks to optimise bandwidth and look at other techniques for reducing or hiding latency. Some are on other teams and will be rolled out gradually according to their schedules. The ones on my team are currently scheduled for after we've got Server Meshing working but, as with everything in game development, plans may change and we'll continue to monitor the situation.

Oh, well that sounds very promising doesn't it.
So once they put in server meshing server instability will get even worse. I mean I get it, you have to plan for servers crashing and how to recover from it, it's going to inevitably happen. But this is really making it sound like "limit the collateral damage of a crash and spin up a recovery" is the cornerstone of their server stability efforts.