Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Chapter 2 and I already rage quit Death Stranding lmao

rivers are bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You need to check for depth with the scanner. Or just use a ladder for a makeshift bridge. You can also stand still to regain stamina.

None of this actually matters for the most part though since rivers shouldn't be a thing you care much about later on.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Aug 8, 2020

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I checked, I was just over confident. Had ladders but they weren't long enough, or it looked like they wanted to place directing me down into the river.

My wife will be glad I got the dishes done, and I'll give it another crack tonight after dinner.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Marx Was A Lib posted:

rivers are bullshit

stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

genericnick posted:

I played a lot of Stellaris last year(2-3 DLC behind?), but once you have seen the events it's just not that engaging. There is a sort of small window at the start when the AI is threatening, but it falls off pretty hard by midgame. So you might have a few memorable early wars where you pay attention to the alliance game, but once you win those the AI stays stomped. Then you get the midgame events and end game events, but there is no real political geography at that point so the game feels a bit undifferentiated.
This was my impression of it too, it has an amazing first 5-10ish hours before it becomes clear that the ai is no threat to you and that most of the events and political dynamics you were freaking out about at the start have no weight and that, much like irl, nothing really matters.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

oxsnard posted:

oh and supposedly CK3 is absolutely amazing. I know someone who's had a release copy for 2 months now. He's made a gay tolerant cannibalist religion work for multiple generations. Says the RPG stuff is turned up to 11 and is great

good reminder; just slammed down a pre-order for that. gotta get those extra clothes.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

rivers are bullshit

RandomBlue posted:

stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.

Yellow is mellow,
empty is dead,
hold your buttons,
and stop where you tread.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Real hurthling! posted:

torrent it to see if it runs on your setup

my internet connection is garbage, I'm not spending literally two days torrenting something to find out if it works

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

I'm ready for stadia, folks

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm ready for stadia, folks

:drat:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Yo it’s time for Gravelord Nito to die on the Nintendo Switch

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Paladin Leroy I got ur number

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

The tnc thread went very quiet post release, after a solid month of PUMPED 2 KILL NATZIS HEEEELLL YEAH

its really fun going to the steam discussion page for a wolfenstien game when it comes out and watching all the sad nazis talk about how they don't like how their ~political beliefs~ are being persecuted in video games

Zokari posted:

great i clicked on this and now youtube thinks suikoden lets plays are the only things i ever want to see

you just got cumshitted

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this disco elysium game gently caress 3rd time I do the lizard brain karaoke roll and shreds me

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i won the drama check on that and the sequence is so beautiful, that VA deserves an award, like literally an Oscar

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i love how you have one character most of the time, and your internal thoughts heavily reflect it, but with clothing items and buffs, you can pretty much win any of the other types of checks eventually, especially if you boost them with other poo poo, it's so perfectly designed

edit:
i'm annoyed i missed a red perception check in the church where i guess you try to see the hole in reality, it was like 80% with boosts/clothing/stats, but i failed it and couldn't re-do, i didn't save scum either, I think i only did once or twice

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Marx Was A Lib posted:

is greedfall good?

It's bad. It's the sort of game where you try it for like 15 minutes and then conclude that it wasn't even worth the bandwidth to :filez:

Mercrom posted:

I used to really like first person shooters but nowadays I want more than just clicking heads and nice sounding weapons. I tried playing Painkiller again but I found it boring. I guess Titanfall 2 and Doom Eternal has ruined old shooters for me.

tbh Painkiller kinda sucks, it just happened to have the good fortune to come out at a time when most of the genre was just shooting terrists in not-Iraq. Proper 90s shooters like Quake or Duke and the like are still a blast.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

smarxist posted:

i love how you have one character most of the time, and your internal thoughts heavily reflect it, but with clothing items and buffs, you can pretty much win any of the other types of checks eventually, especially if you boost them with other poo poo, it's so perfectly designed

edit:
i'm annoyed i missed a red perception check in the church where i guess you try to see the hole in reality, it was like 80% with boosts/clothing/stats, but i failed it and couldn't re-do, i didn't save scum either, I think i only did once or twice

my kim was out on business that day so dedicated the song to garte just to gently caress with him

also this run i managed to do feminist cop and i got a line that was something like "Do you have phalluses stuck in your ears? I told you to shut the gently caress up."

also i was going for the more comical interractions this run but i couldn't resist playing straight cop and telling the owner of the book store she's a piece of poo poo for making her child stand out in the rain busking for business

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cumshitter posted:

my kim was out on business that day so dedicated the song to garte just to gently caress with him

also this run i managed to do feminist cop and i got a line that was something like "Do you have phalluses stuck in your ears? I told you to shut the gently caress up."

also i was going for the more comical interractions this run but i couldn't resist playing straight cop and telling the owner of the book store she's a piece of poo poo for making her child stand out in the rain busking for business

the feminist agenda doesn't kick in that often but it's beautiful when it does

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Painkiller did have that theme song with the band doing a drat good Ozzy impression, that was kinda cool

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
jesus.

horizon zero dawn just completely sucked me into its world for about 2 hours

i'm just letting it all wash over me for now, but dashing through the hinterlands and ambushing metal beasts is so fun

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Mercrom posted:

I used to really like first person shooters but nowadays I want more than just clicking heads and nice sounding weapons. I tried playing Painkiller again but I found it boring. I guess Titanfall 2 and Doom Eternal has ruined old shooters for me.

Check out amid evil or dusk if you haven't. They're old school aesthetics with modern design sensibilities, Dusk is so good and maybe my favorite SP shooter in a long time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

After Tsushima I wanted something different and now I've gotten into Ultimate General: Civil War. It's like a lower budget Total War but with an emphasis on actually recreating the battle as they happened. I'm not too terribly good at these types of games but it feels great to sweep the rebels from the field at Shiloh. Lick 'em tomorrow, Grant?! Let's lick em today!

(I think I'm going to turn into one of those weird Civil War nerds like Matt Christman)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

After Tsushima I wanted something different and now I've gotten into Ultimate General: Civil War. It's like a lower budget Total War but with an emphasis on actually recreating the battle as they happened. I'm not too terribly good at these types of games but it feels great to sweep the rebels from the field at Shiloh. Lick 'em tomorrow, Grant?! Let's lick em today!

(I think I'm going to turn into one of those weird Civil War nerds like Matt Christman)

civil war nerds rule, as long as they're on the right side. i need to get back into ultimate general since Sid Meier's Gettysburg was the first game i really played

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

UGCW rules and is cool. You're all right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

UGCW rules and is cool. You're all right

speaking of war nerds, a while back you were posting about Shattered Sword- you ever played the board wargame Empire of the Sun?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Suiko2

Jowy you piece of poo poo :argh:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Jowy is such a great character, the exact opposite approach as the protagonist and absolutely ruthless

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

speaking of war nerds, a while back you were posting about Shattered Sword- you ever played the board wargame Empire of the Sun?

I've heard OF it, but I don't own it.

I actually bought a board wargame about Midway when I went to Japan last November. I've been meaning to give it a shot, esp. since it's quarantine, but lol I haven't gotten around to it yet

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've heard OF it, but I don't own it.

I actually bought a board wargame about Midway when I went to Japan last November. I've been meaning to give it a shot, esp. since it's quarantine, but lol I haven't gotten around to it yet

EOTS is mostly strategic level (midway is "the US plays a reaction card and rolls well") but its a fantastic simulation of the war overall and has a good Vassal mod and I'm fishing for opponents, so PM if you're interested.. What Midway game was it in particular?

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
i bought brigador today its genuinely sick as hell

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Terminal autist posted:

Check out amid evil or dusk if you haven't. They're old school aesthetics with modern design sensibilities, Dusk is so good and maybe my favorite SP shooter in a long time.

amid evil fell completely flat for me but dusk was a loving blast and I can’t recommend it enough

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

smarxist posted:

Jowy is such a great character, the exact opposite approach as the protagonist and absolutely ruthless

best character in that game

Taking down Luca together is so awesome; a great payoff to both characters/

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Aug 9, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

smarxist posted:

jesus.

horizon zero dawn just completely sucked me into its world for about 2 hours

i'm just letting it all wash over me for now, but dashing through the hinterlands and ambushing metal beasts is so fun

I dunno I found HZD a bit of a snoozefest to be honest. The story didn't grip me.

quote:

My big problem with the Paradox style is that it's overly abstracted. All the information is just a sheet full of numbers, and some go up and some go down and at the end of the day I find it hard to care about all these drat numbers. It's petty, I know, but I find it alienating.

It's a problem with all Paradox games with the exception of Crusader Kings 2, which I think was a lightning-in-a-bottle situation where Paradox created a game that still had the arbitrary numbers, but they became less important compared to the storytelling of the person and family you're playing as in the game.

Alot of their games rely on personal storytelling and narrative to go along with what you're doing in the game. CK2 makes this easy to achieve, then followed by EUIV and modded HOI IV. Despite Stellaris being the most open to customisation and creating your own empire/race/ethos, they've never figured out how to not make Stellaris a game of balancing numbers and statistics, so by the time the mid and late game comes around everything feels very stagnant.

Despite that I'd still recommend Stellaris as the top choice for space 4X. Distant Worlds Universe comes close, but it's not nearly as polished.

Communist Bear has issued a correction as of 09:46 on Aug 9, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started playing CK2 again now that CK3 is coming out soon, and I managed to establish a Satanic Empire that stretches from the UK, through France, and all the way through Italy to Rome, kicking the Pope to the fuckin' curb. Badass.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

smarxist posted:

I figured they were telegraphing some sort of rivalry by giving him the true sword rune and Ralph the true shield rune but... I guess I wasn't expecting it to go down quite like that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

EOTS is mostly strategic level (midway is "the US plays a reaction card and rolls well") but its a fantastic simulation of the war overall and has a good Vassal mod and I'm fishing for opponents, so PM if you're interested.. What Midway game was it in particular?

It was this: Midway: Turning the Tide in the Pacific

The cards are printed in both English and Japanese, and there's an English translation of the rulebook in that BGG page.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

i liked reading the dick mullen book and the book calling me an idiot when i decided that the big twist would be that dick mullen killed his friend and the dame

mullen didn't kill them. communism did

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
A new stream horror game is out, Scrutinized. It seems like a mix of PT with Hello Neighbour since youre infiltrating your neighbours houses who might be killers?
It looks interesting but maybe just a creepypasta game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BBJoey posted:

mullen didn't kill them. communism did

You're not a revolutionary, Harry... you're drunk.