Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Who is brave enough to make something like garum from this YouTube recipe vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7Bb0Qg-oE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
just got my 1 year celebration pack from tincanfish

time to dine

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
oh my

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I don't get jealous very often. I am now

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Mozi posted:

time to dine

:pusheen:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Mozi posted:

time to dine

holy macaroni

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

yeah those are choice tins

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Who is brave enough to make something like garum from this YouTube recipe vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7Bb0Qg-oE

it's bullshit, his garum isn't fermented at all, but it did get me thinking the other day about how feasible it would be to microbrew some. With the right setup to control the vapors I bet you could get away with small quantities of rotting fish in a populated area without making anyone at ground level physically uncomfortable enough to spend the time figuring out where it's coming from.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mozi posted:

time to dine

Beautiful artwork on those tins

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Keith Atherton posted:

Beautiful artwork on those tins

Porthos Guy looks like avatar material.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, Infinite Regression Smarmy Porthos is a real eye-catcher.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I got some Porthos for Christmas, but haven't tried them yet. They're in a nice decorative box and I find it hard to break up the pattern. I keep buying KOs and not getting to the Porthos. I'm assuming they're good quality?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

poverty goat posted:

it's bullshit, his garum isn't fermented at all, but it did get me thinking the other day about how feasible it would be to microbrew some. With the right setup to control the vapors I bet you could get away with small quantities of rotting fish in a populated area without making anyone at ground level physically uncomfortable enough to spend the time figuring out where it's coming from.

throw this poo poo on your plants once or twice a month until the neighborhood builds up a tolerance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_emulsion

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yeah those are choice tins

pack still available!

tried the sardine salad recipe, one of a few included

should have chopped the veggies smaller but it was still delicious. the sardines are truly superior

(ate the entire thing)

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/wV2CF2WWGFQ

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Dip Viscous posted:

Porthos Guy looks like avatar material.

Those tins designs would make good t-shirts

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.coindesk.com/is-sardinecoin-real-the-sardines-are-at-least

quote:

It smelled fishy from the start.

On Wednesday, MY Sardines, a Luxembourg-based company, announced its intention to launch a cryptocurrency backed by – are you sitting? – vintage sardines.

Word of the unconventional initial coin offering (ICO) prompted piscine puns, stimulated discussions about fractional reserve banking and “flummoxed one hack,” according to Decrypt Media.

Between the novel collateral, a white paper thin on details (who is the unnamed external auditor for the stock of sardines?) and an April 1 (April Fools’ Day) end date for the sale, crypto commentators suspected SardineCoin was an elaborate prank.

This much is clear: It’s not a fluke.

CoinDesk found the MY Sardines booth at CES 2020, the long-running consumer electronics trade show in Las Vegas. And the company did present actual sardine tins and mySardines.com cards to casual passersby and attendees.
sardinecans3
MY Sardines swag. (Photo by John Biggs for CoinDesk)

“It’s an investment [that’s] really safe,” said co-founder and CEO Charlotte Ripetti. “There’s no speculation. We have the stock of sardines and then we’re going to create the coin based on the stock.”

The firm says it’s working with a French distributor called Pearl of the Gods to supply the sardines. The company would purchase the tins on Sept. 1, create and distribute the tokens on ethereum shortly after and allow investors to redeem their tokens for cans (1:1, just like tether!) any time over the next 10 years. According to the white paper, investors will not be able to redeem tokens for cash.

It turns out this isn’t the first token sale the company’s run. It ran a test ICO late last year, ordering 3,600 tins from the 2016, 2017 and 2018 vintages with a token distribution planned for the end of this month.

Roughly 75 percent of the funds from the ongoing sale raised would go to buying cans, with the remainder covering operating expenses.
sardinecans2
The MY Sardines team. (Photo by John Biggs for CoinDesk)

Ripetti said the company expects the cans to appreciate 20 percent in value per year (though, again, tokens cannot be redeemed for cash). Those looking to acquire the sardine cans can either go to Luxembourg and visit MY Sardine’s secure fish facilities (giving “cold storage” a whole new meaning) or pay for shipping (and insurance, should they want it).

But why back the stablecoin with sardines?

“It’s fun and the regulator was not afraid of sardines,” said co-founder Jérôme Grandidier.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Going to be trying to bake some tinned sardines with chickpea flour and panko. Wish me luck.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/oSP8uoWHZGg

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i swear sprats are better after a few days as a half can in the fridge

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

yeah, the grease congealing really makes it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If that's the case, storing sprats in the fridge gets you ahead of the curve in congealing the fat. :thunk:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you keep your sardines in the freezer?

yeah, doesn't everyone?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don't refrigerate/freeze my leftover 'dines because there usually isn't any leftovers in the first place. :smug:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Voice of Labor posted:

you keep your sardines in the freezer?

yeah, doesn't everyone?

That’s where the empty tins go until garbage/recycling day

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Android Apocalypse posted:

I don't refrigerate/freeze my leftover 'dines because there usually isn't any leftovers in the first place. :smug:

I've never seen a half finished tin of dines in my life.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I have. it was that tin of bar harbor that was so bad I put it out for the raccoons

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
There are no bad sardines. There are tinned fish companies that disrespect the sardine in what they sell

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had sol mare yesterday, in Tomato sauce. Goddamn those were some huge dines. 3 giant fillets. Firm and tasty.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Today I dumped a tin of Season skinless dines into my shakshuka and it was glorious

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

isaboo posted:

Today I dumped a tin of Season skinless dines into my shakshuka and it was glorious

Forbidden technique

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Posting just to say this thread convinced me to try KO mackerel fillets, and instead of my previously occasional sardine habit it's now close to being a daily event. Thanks a lot. ACFAT (All Canned Fish All the Time.)

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Posting just to say this thread convinced me to try KO mackerel fillets, and instead of my previously occasional sardine habit it's now close to being a daily event. Thanks a lot. ACFAT (All Canned Fish All the Time.)

Ease up on the tinned fish (a sin to say I know), they're full of arsenic and mercury and other stuff and if you're eating them every day you're gonna do yourself some harm

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

I never followed up on my panko-baked dines, so here they are.

Can recommend.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

kazr posted:

Ease up on the tinned fish (a sin to say I know), they're full of arsenic and mercury and other stuff and if you're eating them every day you're gonna do yourself some harm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqyLJ-fWbSI

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

kazr posted:

Tuna and swordfish and any predator higher up in the foodchain, yes.

Mackerel and sardines: go to town :colbert:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure what LD50 is for sardines, but they have the least mercury of any fish because they are the bottom of the food chain.

Things like tuna and swordfish are worst because they contain all of the mercury from every fish they face ever eaten, and all of the fishes those fishes have ever eaten, etc. all the way down to sardines.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
my KO jalapeno mackerel subscribe&save was cancelled by amazon :argh:

bezos! you cannot hoard them all for yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Brolander posted:

i swear sprats are better after a few days as a half can in the fridge

I often put a can of smoked oysters or sardines in the fridge for a few hours before opening, especially in hot weather.