Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So yesterday the neighbor behind me called the fire department on this MASSIVE INFERNO yesterday. 3 fire trucks showed up.

I think they were more pissed that I didn't have enough steak for all of them than anything. :sigh:

My next door neighbor told me the neighbor behind me calls 911 every time his kids use his pool (above-ground pool) and about half of the time that they let their dog out into their back yard. Next door neighbor and I's houses are both owned by the same lovely slumlord, but the fence is good enough to keep dogs and kids from moving between yards.

I just grilled some fajitas. In the exact same spot. Someone in a FD pickup showed up to make sure I didn't have a raging inferno, told me he couldn't say who called, but did the "head nudge" toward my back fence and said the person calling is a frequent flier. So I turned searing hot into low and slow, and kept waving at her every time she peeked out the window (yelled "WANT SOME FAJITAS?" a couple of times). I could hear her literally SCREAMING at someone about how there's a massive fire, it sounded like multiple calls over about 30 minutes. I can only assume 911 because I heard her screaming my address, my description, and MASSIVE FIRE. Kept refreshing AFD's active incidents page, saw my address pop a couple of times as a structure fire, but went away on the next refresh.

My "yard" is a tinderbox, but I have a hose and fire extinguisher sitting right there. Maybe I should let the city know part of her roof is chicken wire? She owns her house outright, I'm a renter, but she doesn't have working AC and has sizeable holes in her roof. I might call APS if she keeps this up... I'm guessing the fact she's crying wolf on two addresses that share a common fence with her may have been enough to get her flagged by local dispatch?

e: when I say she doesn't have working AC, I mean the entire outside unit is gone. Pipes cut right at the siding, wires cut at the disconnect. I see signs of a portable AC unit on one bedroom window..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Lemme come over and burn a couch, STR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbkhozfChPM

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just test driving. I know better than to buy a car before the new house is locked down. Also I have to sell the miata first. Doesn't mean I can't test drive poo poo to narrow down what I want.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Time for everyone to run a train on STR's yard, Seafoaming cars and having a barbie for lunch every day of the week.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

I'm just test driving. I know better than to buy a car before the new house is locked down. Also I have to sell the miata first. Doesn't mean I can't test drive poo poo to narrow down what I want.
Nobody said you couldn't, just trying to give you a heads up in case you were planing on doing something soon. Not that anyone in this forum ever does anything impulsively or without thinking things through.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 8, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I called the FD on a neighbor burning leaves/trash in his back yard like an idiot (it's illegal here). At first I legit thought his house was on fire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Nobody said you couldn't, just trying to give you a heads up in case you were planing on doing something soon. Not that anyone in this forum ever does anything impulsively or without thinking things through.

I am a dummy but I am very financially responsible these days.

I was content to wait til Feb (my birthday) but the wife says sooner is fine. Im thinking Halloween is a realistic time frame.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I called the FD on a neighbor burning leaves/trash in his back yard like an idiot (it's illegal here). At first I legit thought his house was on fire.

Yeah, my neighbor from Wisconsin had the FD called on him for the same thing. Poor bastard probably got a big ticket for it too

I'd like to be able to burn yard waste, but piles of dry, burning leaves seem like a great way to set nearby houses on fire

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, my neighbor from Wisconsin had the FD called on him for the same thing. Poor bastard probably got a big ticket for it too

I'd like to be able to burn yard waste, but piles of dry, burning leaves seem like a great way to set nearby houses on fire

That and what pissed me off even more was that it was a nice day so all the widows were open, I was downwind of it and my house was filled with smoke by the time i could get them all shut and my house stunk for days. Like where is that ok to do anywhere where you don't live in BFE? In the city it should be common sense you just don't do that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hell the city has a compost program for yard and food waste. Picked up every week with the trash, they just ask that food goes into a paper compost bag. Dedicated bin and everything.

InitialDave posted:

Time for everyone to run a train on STR's yard, Seafoaming cars and having a barbie for lunch every day of the week.

Already seafoamed Brokeback, didn't get much smoke at all out of it. I was sad.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

poo poo man, isn't that just a NEMA 14-30? I'm pretty sure I have like 4 in stock, I would have just made you one for my cost

Just needed the plug and cable as I was just going to wire right into the buses on my breaker box. I had a cable already with a female plug on the end and I was just going to cut and strip it but my uncle didn't want to do that thus the adventure. I almost had him talked into cutting it but then our friend had the exact cable we needed with a plug and nothing on the other end so we could cut and strip the wires.

Guys look how big my baby is getting already! she's only 3 months old! I bet she's going to be on the 15lb side when she's done growing. They are generally 10-15lbs as adults. She's really developing a personality too and is the funniest, smartest pet I've ever had. They are a lot of work but I'm glad I made the decision to dedicate a lot of time providing enrichment and attention from me to make her a good pet. I wouldn't recommend a coati as a pet unless you know what you're in for which is generally like a two year old kid that can't speak, can climb anything and make a huge mess in little time and want your attention constantly. It's so worth it to me

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

STR posted:

Hell the city has a compost program for yard and food waste. Picked up every week with the trash, they just ask that food goes into a paper compost bag.

This was the weirdest thing coming from SF to LA. SF is big on composting food scraps in the green bin and all takeout containers are compostable. LA will only compost yard waste and styrofoam is still a thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

shy boy from chess club posted:

Guys look how big my baby is getting already! she's only 3 months old! I bet she's going to be on the 15lb side when she's done growing. They are generally 10-15lbs as adults. She's really developing a personality too and is the funniest, smartest pet I've ever had. They are a lot of work but I'm glad I made the decision to dedicate a lot of time providing enrichment and attention from me to make her a good pet. I wouldn't recommend a coati as a pet unless you know what you're in for which is generally like a two year old kid that can't speak, can climb anything and make a huge mess in little time and want your attention constantly. It's so worth it to me

:kimchi: what a cutey

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

STR posted:

So yesterday the neighbor behind me called the fire department on this MASSIVE INFERNO yesterday. 3 fire trucks showed up.

I think they were more pissed that I didn't have enough steak for all of them than anything. :sigh:

My next door neighbor told me the neighbor behind me calls 911 every time his kids use his pool (above-ground pool) and about half of the time that they let their dog out into their back yard. Next door neighbor and I's houses are both owned by the same lovely slumlord, but the fence is good enough to keep dogs and kids from moving between yards.

I just grilled some fajitas. In the exact same spot. Someone in a FD pickup showed up to make sure I didn't have a raging inferno, told me he couldn't say who called, but did the "head nudge" toward my back fence and said the person calling is a frequent flier. So I turned searing hot into low and slow, and kept waving at her every time she peeked out the window (yelled "WANT SOME FAJITAS?" a couple of times). I could hear her literally SCREAMING at someone about how there's a massive fire, it sounded like multiple calls over about 30 minutes. I can only assume 911 because I heard her screaming my address, my description, and MASSIVE FIRE. Kept refreshing AFD's active incidents page, saw my address pop a couple of times as a structure fire, but went away on the next refresh.

My "yard" is a tinderbox, but I have a hose and fire extinguisher sitting right there. Maybe I should let the city know part of her roof is chicken wire? She owns her house outright, I'm a renter, but she doesn't have working AC and has sizeable holes in her roof. I might call APS if she keeps this up... I'm guessing the fact she's crying wolf on two addresses that share a common fence with her may have been enough to get her flagged by local dispatch?

e: when I say she doesn't have working AC, I mean the entire outside unit is gone. Pipes cut right at the siding, wires cut at the disconnect. I see signs of a portable AC unit on one bedroom window..

what you can do is burn a bunch of paper towels soaked with ATF/motor oil and engine bay spice in a steel bucket and occasionally give it a squart of starting fluid or gas. It's great for tons of smoke + MASSIVE FLAMES when you give it the atomized hydrocarbons it craves

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thank you :) I'm totally in love with my little friend. She can be very frustrating but it pays off when I can put her harness on or cut her nails without her fussing after working with her on stuff like that or not play biting, etc. Then the next minute she will be all sweet while I scratch her belly or behind the ears and she falls asleep on me. My skunks were sooo easy compared to her and the other coatis I had were already adults so it's been quite the learning experience with this little one

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who was that good that did the Mongol rally? They still around?

I heard about it a few years back but now I'm feeling pretty serious about actually doing it. Besides the obvious logistical problems I'm wondering how that worked personally. It's at least a month stuck in a lovely car together. I'm single so have no wife/gf to take with me, and even if I had, there's no guarantee she'd be into it. I have some friends who are into car stuff but it feels like it would be a pretty tall order considering we're all adults with jobs and poo poo. I sometimes travel alone and enjoy it but this seems a bit extreme for a solo trip.

Really feels like the best time would've been after high school or collage but I didn't know about the rally or would've had the money to pull it off but i definitely don't want to wait until retirement or something.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Thank you :) I'm totally in love with my little friend. She can be very frustrating but it pays off when I can put her harness on or cut her nails without her fussing after working with her on stuff like that or not play biting, etc. Then the next minute she will be all sweet while I scratch her belly or behind the ears and she falls asleep on me. My skunks were sooo easy compared to her and the other coatis I had were already adults so it's been quite the learning experience with this little one

Holy poo poo I've never heard of let alone seen a coati! That's cool as hell.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BigPaddy posted:

The bronco will be great in 10 years when they are already bashed up and you don’t care about the paint and body.

I figure if I buy one I'm driving it until the roads eat it anyway, so not to worried about it from the start.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Back home after a 2-night hospital stay for a testicular infection.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh no, no no no.

I'm cringing in sympathy pain just reading that

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh no, no no no.

Yup. GL with your nuts, Dagen H!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So a monster truck driver tried to do a double back flip.

Spoiler, it wasn’t quite a double and he fell 70 feet and a truck landed on top of his head. Ooof

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh no, no no no.

The pain is coming from inside the balls!

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Dagen H posted:

how... does that happen?

I don’t really think I want to google this but oh well

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh nooo. Hope you feel better soon Dagen.

STR just call the city or whatever. The house sounds like it isn't really safe to occupy and she's probably mentally ill. I wish we had robust services for this sort of situation.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So a monster truck driver tried to do a double back flip.

Spoiler, it wasn’t quite a double and he fell 70 feet and a truck landed on top of his head. Ooof

Dagen H posted:

If I had to pick one of these to experience, I'm not sure which one I'd go with (assuming the monster truck driver didn't die / become crippled)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Take sitz baths, as hot as you feel comfortable with. It sucks, and wear your most supportive underwear, 2 pairs if you have to. A lot of these infections come from UTI's, but STI's can also be a culprit

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

The Door Frame posted:

Take sitz baths, as hot as you feel comfortable with. It sucks, and wear your most supportive underwear, 2 pairs if you have to. A lot of these infections come from UTI's, but STI's can also be a culprit

Not only STIs, in rare cases even WRXs can cause it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Bittersweet day, my daughter drove away from my house for the last time this morning. She'll never see the bedroom she's occupied for 14 years again. But the future awaits!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Bittersweet day, my daughter drove away from my house for the last time this morning. She'll never see the bedroom she's occupied for 14 years again. But the future awaits!

Wow that must have felt weird and sad, I've always wondered how I'll feel when my son moves out eventually.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

Give it a few years.

Source: moved back to the same town I was born and raised in when I was 24, still hang out with my dad every week

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Give it a few years.

Source: moved back to the same town I was born and raised in when I was 24, still hang out with my dad every week
I think it’s more “I’m selling the house” than “my daughter will never come back”.

I’m basing this on him saying she’ll never see it again, rather than she’ll never live in it again.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

STR posted:

Already seafoamed Brokeback, didn't get much smoke at all out of it. I was sad.

I find the spray just doesn't smoke, esp if you use the straw. You need a good quantity of the stuff to burn all at once for the vape action.

That said, it's possible to get a pretty large pool of it sitting in the plenum of a Ford Windsor EFI intake if you use the wrong port, which makes a pretty amazing cloud when you go WOT and the whole thing sucks in all at once. The cop behind me did not appreciate the scene however

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Smoked my first pork butt on the Traeger and was the best pulled pork I've had in awhile :)

Next weekend gonna do ribs then brisket, love it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I think it’s more “I’m selling the house” than “my daughter will never come back”.

I’m basing this on him saying she’ll never see it again, rather than she’ll never live in it again.

Ah, yeah, that's fair.

Adventures in car buying: went to go see a BRZ today and it's up on hoists. No mechanical issues, just the dealership not expecting to have someone want to look at it a few days after they got the thing in. Going back there to look at again and test drive tomorrow after work. It's rust and damage free, apart from some scuffed rims from lovely parallel parking jobs.

I'm looking forward to finally buying a non-shitbox outright instead of settling for a thoroughly used car or financing.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Went to Pull-A-Part today and got nice and sunburnt. My neck is now literally red!

My brother and I were looking for nice seats and a nicer belt tensioner for his Matrix XRS. Also a new seat motor for our mom's grand cherokee.

We found a working seat motor assembly but all 3 of the XRSs there were completely picked clean. Hell even the regular Matrix they had on the lot was all bones.

I guess the Matrix/Vibe are still that age where normal (non-car weirdo) people still see it as worth fixing and keeping on the road. Hell there were even early 90s Civics that were mostly untouched.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Matrix XRS has an engine people like to swap into other things.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Smoked my first pork butt on the Traeger and was the best pulled pork I've had in awhile :)

Next weekend gonna do ribs then brisket, love it.

Tell more about ribs. Ribs is my favorite to BBQ.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I can attest to Traeger easiness. I'm doing a 3-2-1 hour cook on a Costco special rack of ribs tomorrow. Super easy. As long as you clean it frequently. Nothings worse than it erroring mid cook and then trying to overfeed/bursting into flames. Happened 3 times so far...

Side note- Traeger is (was?) an Oregon company and it's a family name. Apparently my date dated one of the daughters in high school.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

the spyder posted:

I can attest to Traeger easiness. I'm doing a 3-2-1 hour cook on a Costco special rack of ribs tomorrow. Super easy. As long as you clean it frequently. Nothings worse than it erroring mid cook and then trying to overfeed/bursting into flames. Happened 3 times so far...

Side note- Traeger is (was?) an Oregon company and it's a family name. Apparently my date dated one of the daughters in high school.

Was, got sold to a VC firm and moved manufacturing to China :(

E: they are still awesome grills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Speaking of brands that were good and then got sold to VC firms/moved to China, my drat 1 year old Vornado's switch (a knob that slots onto a little metal half-shaft to control the speed) broke internally. I superglued the piece of plastic back on, you can see where about a third of the crosspiece circle broke off but I can't imagine it's going to hold for very long, trying to figure out a solution that's a little less crap than "a small set of vice grips that now lives on the fan"