Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

repiv posted:

Isn't it disassembling the FE 2xxx cooler that's difficult, if you want to replace the fans or whatever? I don't think separating it from the board is that problematic.

Nope, at least with the 2060 there's shades of Apple with glue and screws galore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuy8-laK2AU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Given all the funky rumors about specialty cooling/TDP, 7nm versus 8nm, it would seem prudent to at least wait to get some sense for the AIB cards and the likelihood of a Super refresh at 7nm.

If Cyberpunk gets delayed again, there's almost no point rushing to get a card right now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’m personally gonna wait to see what evga makes and prolly get that, unless the wacky founders thing ends up being a) real and b) good

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sean10mm posted:

My understanding is FE coolers have typically been kind of lovely.

The 10-series FE coolers were not particularly great, largely because they were still blower-based. The 20-series FE coolers were pretty decent dual-fan open-air deals.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FuturePastNow posted:

Wonder what the used market for 2080s will look like after the release.

Used prices will likely remain elevated for the foreseeable future due to the pandemic.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

sean10mm posted:

on release of the 2070S the FE was cheaper(as in it could be had at MSRP) and came with a good dual fan cooler with a solid back plate.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MikeC posted:

Why the desperation? Cyberpunk is releasing in mid November. 3070 is on track to release in October and the 3060 shortly afterwards. AMD is going to break its back to get mid range RDNA 2.0 out the door before Thanksgiving (US).

The winning strategy for the 2080Ti era was not to buy the RTX 2XXX series at all,

Simple. I have an HDMI 2.1 GSync OLED. Currently I am limited to 4k/60 on that panel, but immediately on getting a 3080Ti I go straight to 4K/120 on every title I own (along with, of course the many benefits OLED currently enjoys). It's a ridiculously giant upgrade that happens the second I slot in the card.

I'm all in on OLED gaming; I prefer HDMI 2.1 VRR PC gaming on OLED at 60fps more than getting a high refresh gaming monitor because the tech is that good (and I actually think most people would agree if given the chance to experience it, but that's another discussion). Upping that tech to 120hz is going to be beyond amazing.

In a very real sense it's the culmination of my entire setup that I've been building for the past year. I will personally fight Jenson for a 3080Ti.

sean10mm posted:

The weird cross-fan setup that leaked regarding the 3000 series FE looks very intriguing. They understand the previous issues with the FE coolers (especially the 1000 series, the 2000 FE coolers were fine) and they've been getting steadily better. They're obviously going well out of their way to make the FE coolers great this year. Of course, the proof is in the execution, but I'm optimistic.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 9, 2020

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I have a C9 but not a RTX card so I can't test the G-Sync compatibility. What does it actually mean that the variable refresh rate range is 40-120hz and how does it compare to my full G-Sync monitor? Does it just mean that it skips a frame if the frametime goes above 25ms? Does it work identically if frametime never exceeds 25ms?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mercrom posted:

I have a C9 but not a RTX card so I can't test the G-Sync compatibility. What does it actually mean that the variable refresh rate range is 40-120hz and how does it compare to my full G-Sync monitor? Does it just mean that it skips a frame if the frametime goes above 25ms? Does it work identically if frametime never exceeds 25ms?

I believe on the C9 the range is only 40-60hz at the moment and it'll be increased via a firmware update at some point.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ufarn posted:

Honestly, it's 2020, why doesn't Steam have a frametime graph at this point.

You can't enable underage gambling with frametime graphs so Valve won't spend dev time on it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Kazinsal posted:

You can't enable underage gambling with frametime graphs so Valve won't spend dev time on it.

B-b-but you see loot crates are fun and most of our income from those games doesn’t come from undiagnosed gambling addicts!

HEY LOOK AT ALYX ITS REALLY GOOD LOOK LOOK

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Mercrom posted:

It's 40-60 right now.

e: and it's effectively loses nothing versus "full" GSync afaik because the response times are so low that it doesn't need variable overdrive in the first place. Calling it GSync compatible is technically correct but is misleading because HDMI 2.1 GSync on OLED is as good as anything.

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe on the C9 the range is only 40-60hz at the moment and it'll be increased via a firmware update at some point.

It currently has the ability to do 120 fps, just needs the HDMI 2.1 GPU to have the bandwidth to do so.

The 2020 LG OLED, the CX, can technically already do 4K/120, but only because it compresses the color space down. As soon as a 2.1 GPU is slotted in, both panels should run full fat 4K/120 with no compromises.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 9, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've been holding out since swapping my nvidia 770 and $150 for a 980 in 2016, and I just upgraded to a 144hz 2560 × 1440 monitor from a 1920 x 1200. I really want a new card and decided to wait for the 3000 series, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. Who else is in my situation and what are you going to do? I don't intend to buy a TI and the 80 series is normally not really something I can justify the price of, but I'm planning on spending about 600 dollars on a new card. It seems to me like it may be a bad decision to 'wait and see' because of limited supply, but, I don't know. ATI's coming out with something which I don't really plan on buying, some time this year? But maybe it'll influence prices or something.

According to this thread, EVGA has the best return policies so I am planning on getting whatever it is, from them.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Out of curiosity, in terms of performance and especially compute, how much of an upgrade would a 2070 (Super) be over a GTX Titan Xm? I’d imagine the RTX 3*** cards will have people dumping their old ones and I’m not above scavenging.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

redreader posted:

I've been holding out since swapping my nvidia 770 and $150 for a 980 in 2016, and I just upgraded to a 144hz 2560 × 1440 monitor from a 1920 x 1200. I really want a new card and decided to wait for the 3000 series, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. Who else is in my situation and what are you going to do? I don't intend to buy a TI and the 80 series is normally not really something I can justify the price of, but I'm planning on spending about 600 dollars on a new card. It seems to me like it may be a bad decision to 'wait and see' because of limited supply, but, I don't know. ATI's coming out with something which I don't really plan on buying, some time this year? But maybe it'll influence prices or something.

According to this thread, EVGA has the best return policies so I am planning on getting whatever it is, from them.

I upgraded from a 980 to a 1080 in 2016 for $750, and then near the end of 2017 I stuck a $120 full cover water block on it. Still using it today, also tentatively planning on a 3000 series purchase, but I'll probably wait a few months for wider availability and or for a card with a full cover block already applied from the factory. I do not believe it is a bad decision to wait and see, but there are advantages to just getting something as soon as you can if you can afford it like I did with my 1080 (namely >4 years of excellent performance and reliability).

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Taima posted:

It's 40-60 right now.
But rtings.com claims it does 40-120 at 1440p. Is that inaccurate?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah I should have been more specific, it does 120 fps, but the bandwidth needs to come in under budget for it to work correctly.

That means 40-60 for 4k, and 120fps on anything lower, without needing HDMI 2.1. I messed with 1440p/120 for a while but personally feel that sticking to the native 4K is a better experience even at 60fps. YMMV on that, but I'm waiting for 4K 120.

e: Or as mentioned, if you happen to own a CX panel, you can currently do 4K 120 at reduced colorspace if that's worth the tradeoffs to you. But a good 4K/120 experience will require a top end 3000 series for sure unless you're playing less intensive titles.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 9, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

redreader posted:

My opinion here is that unless this is a total paper launch you'll probably be able to find a card from a partner in ~4 weeks of hunting nowinstock with high confidence you get the right card. Considering it sounds like you use these kinds of things for 2-4 years it's probably worth a couple weeks to make your you get what you really want.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

redreader posted:

We are basically in the same boat except I am using the 980 ti to run my display. My monitor is Gsync only, so it depends entirely on pricing. If the 3080 is reasonably priced ($700 or less, which would put it at $50 above the 980 ti launch price and seems to be wishful thinking cause post-Maxwell pricing is stupid) I will buy one. If they continue the trend of dumb pricing AND big navi is a better value, I will sell my 1440/144 Hz display to fund a newer one that has VRR support from both vendors, as well as get an AMD card. If big navi sucks and is also overpriced, I will sit on the 980 ti for another two years.

I am using the 980 ti for its 49th month, which means it cost about $13.27/mo to own, if I had purchased it at launch prices. For comparison's sake, the RTX 2080 ti would be almost $25/mo for the same period of time--nearly double the price. Considering the 980 ti was second only to Titan for $650, it is gonna be hard for anyone to convince me that going down one tier of cards is somehow worth $200+ more than it was a few years back. Also worth noting my 980 ti was $410 shipped on firesale from newegg when 1000 series launched, so $8.37/mo is what I have spent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

If Cyberpunk gets delayed again, there's almost no point rushing to get a card right now.

Christ man, don’t even joke.

What is the best strategy for getting my hands on a 3080 or (preferable) 3080Ti before, oh, let’s say noon on November 18th? Assume that my tolerance for scalping is about +20% from MSRP. I’ve never raced the bots before.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

If you're willing to pull the trigger before the dust settles on reviews etc., you should be fine. They don't go out of stock within hours so just keep an eye on standard online stores.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

If you're willing to pull the trigger before the dust settles on reviews etc., you should be fine. They don't go out of stock within hours so just keep an eye on standard online stores.

OK, that’s good news; I was afraid I was going to have to spin up a bot somewhere network-close to whichever shard of Amazon’s website updates first.

I’m coming from a 1080 so it’ll be a big bump even if the price/perf isn’t quite as good as we expect from the 80(Ti) entry. I’m only barely holding out on getting a 2080Ti because I want DLSS for Death Stranding so much; I am not a person in whom wise financial decisions have really been known to make a home.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

DS on a GTX1080 hits 86FPS at 1440p and 47FPS at 4K...

Don't get hyped up into rushing a purchase. Ampere will be cool but it's weird how people are pushing themselves into a purchase at launch.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

OK, that’s good news; I was afraid I was going to have to spin up a bot somewhere network-close to whichever shard of Amazon’s website updates first.

I’m coming from a 1080 so it’ll be a big bump even if the price/perf isn’t quite as good as we expect from the 80(Ti) entry. I’m only barely holding out on getting a 2080Ti because I want DLSS for Death Stranding so much; I am not a person in whom wise financial decisions have really been known to make a home.

Obligatory reminder that we are in a new paradigm re: scarcity and relative value of computer/gaming tech post covid. A launch 2 years ago is not an amazing indicator. I would preorder as soon as it goes up :shrug:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Taima posted:

Obligatory reminder that we are in a new paradigm re: scarcity and relative value of computer/gaming tech post covid. A launch 2 years ago is not an amazing indicator. I would preorder as soon as it goes up :shrug:

I'm unconvinced there's going to be any Covid related scarcity. Global shipping is functioning just fine and the Fabs are all running. It's consumer demand that will be the factor.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The console releases are going to be more interesting from a supply chain standpoint - Sony's talking a big game about aiming for 10 million PS5 units this year.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Alchenar posted:

I'm unconvinced there's going to be any Covid related scarcity. Global shipping is functioning just fine and the Fabs are all running. It's consumer demand that will be the factor.

Demand is pretty insane right now. Used 3 year old GPUs are now worth MORE than they were a year ago. It's nuts.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

shrike82 posted:

DS on a GTX1080 hits 86FPS at 1440p and 47FPS at 4K...

Don't get hyped up into rushing a purchase. Ampere will be cool but it's weird how people are pushing themselves into a purchase at launch.
I never understood this, you mean max settings? I keep my games 120-138 fps constant 1440p by reducing maybe 2-6 settings a notch. Same card.

Also I paid $490.61 tax included for a 1080 08/10/2018 I must have just missed the Bitcoin pricing.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 10, 2020

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

most of the people itching to buy the latest video card doesn't actually play video games anyway and would actually rather run time spy over and over again

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Hey I play video games. Mostly Factorio and games that are at least a decade old so my GPU totally doesn't matter, but I still want a new GPU for the like three newer games I want to play at max settings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/nvidiageforce/status/1292808003897311232?s=21

Twitter banner

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yo that's the end of this month

It's almost definitely the 3 series announcement then, since it's specifically the Geforce twitter account

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

31/8.... 3180???

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yo that's the end of this month

It's almost definitely the 3 series announcement then, since it's specifically the Geforce twitter account

Yeah it's got to be. Geforce 256 was announced 21 years and 21 days ago on August 31, 1999.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Are graphics cards a bit like cars in that you want to wait a while before buying the very first production models?
How do I pre-order cards? Does EVGA's website allow this? Do I go to NVIDIA directly?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Are graphics cards a bit like cars in that you want to wait a while before buying the very first production models?
How do I pre-order cards? Does EVGA's website allow this? Do I go to NVIDIA directly?

I think they're like cars also in there's no need to buy a new one if your old car is working perfectly well for the trips you plan to be making.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Kraftwerk posted:

Nah, no reason to wait. If it's DOA, you can RMA it.
Most companies that sell components will let you pre-order once Nvidia's made its announcements.
Nvidia sell their own flavour from their webstore, whether they're good or bad, we wont know until reviews, but they've been getting better and also binning the chips that go into their cards. They'll usually be the ones on sale first too, with 3rd party cards coming weeks later.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Kraftwerk posted:

(1) Not really. The only reason to wait is to see reviews if you're not already set on buying at a given price point, or worry about another MSI Armor 1080Ti issue (hint: don't buy the absolute cheapest version of an expensive card).
(2) Pre-orders are handled differently at each vendor. Many don't take them at all. They certainly won't be available prior to whatever the official announcement/launch date is.
(3) Generally, no. They'll let you sign up for email notifications for backordered items, though.
(4) No, they won't let you pre-order either (at least they haven't in the past). You can buy the Founders Edition straight from them, though, which are usually more expensive than 3rd party cards, but with decent coolers--though not the best.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
1st gen GPUs are fine, though some of the cheaper brands might have crappy/loud coolers. Time doesn't always solve this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nope, at least with the 2060 there's shades of Apple with glue and screws galore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuy8-laK2AU

You know it's bad when it makes PC hardware Jesus cry.