Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I know nothing about kingdoms of amalur so that would be my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kingdom of Amalur has sicknasty finishers and lets you drop meteors on people. It's not a great game but it's a solid 7-8 out of 10 experience.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah, I enjoyed Amalur for as long as it held my interest. I especially the fairy-tale fae court kinda stuff.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Sweet Jesus Make The Hurting Stop

In today's episode of Stygian, we see one thing that actually works while the rest of the game falls apart into bugs, references, and dickmutants.

Cultists! Branding! Physical abuse! Religion! Movies! Ultraviolence! Something actually works! Bugs! Mutants with dicks hanging out!

Incidentally, i found a video of the theater cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuNAVPO5rsQ. I can grab my own at some point, but I'm actually amazed they put together a legit horror sequence without some rear end in a top hat dropping in a wall of misspelled adjectives with pointless Lovecraft references.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Reading that conversation just really shows how empty this game is. If you HAD to address Lovecraft's racism for some reason, you could actually do some kind of story from the view of someone oppressed in the 1920s - immigrant, black, Indian, whatever - and address Cthulhu sweeping away contemporary society from that lens. If you're constantly treated like a second class citizen raising Cthulhu from the depths to eat all the racists is...actually kind of plausible. You'd need actually good writing to tackle this, so Stygian could never do it, but the potential is there and it might make an interesting story.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned The Ballad of Black Tom in this thread, but you just described it to a tee.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Of all the things in this update, what stands out to me is that this is the first time sanity damage was given that actually seemed like a properly sanity-damaging event.
And I suppose Krogh reminding the audience that he should've been in a better game than stygian.

Only a short trivia corner this time.

-When I was trying to grind for experience by running around the world map; I found that players can run out of encounters, leaving the world map safe (if boring) to travel.
-One of those encounters offered a special rifle; good if you picked a noncombat build and presumably better if you did.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If this was a mid 00's free flash game I'd actually be impressed with the effort, as it is the game stands as a testament to inflated self worth and a lack of commitment to do the homework.

It should come as no surprise that like everything the weak attempts to make up hebrew sounding terms or names don't work.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Well this was certainly an update that was as happened and posted.

I'm using talk to text because I'm on my lunch break at work and I'm not going to bother correcting the previous sentence. I think my brain hiccuped in the middle of it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

By popular demand posted:

If this was a mid 00's free flash game I'd actually be impressed with the effort, as it is the game stands as a testament to inflated self worth and a lack of commitment to do the homework.

It should come as no surprise that like everything the weak attempts to make up hebrew sounding terms or names don't work.

I suspect they were going for an Adam-Eve anagram with that name, but it's as incoherent as most of the writing has been.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Oh look! It's what the cult chanted in The Call of Cthulhu! Clap, seals! Clap! Lovecraft! Yay! You read Lovecraft? Yay! Clap! Yay!

Hasturbators :v:

The only two good scenes so far, the intro and the theater scene, are both dialogue-free. The appropriate amount of dialogue in this game was "none".

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Not The Wendigo posted:

Hasturbators :v:

The only two good scenes so far, the intro and the theater scene, are both dialogue-free. The appropriate amount of dialogue in this game was "none".

Which, going as far as analyzing cosmic horror, actually is correct a lot of times.
Horror of realization can only ever be spoiled be inane dialogue. Example a: Stygian.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Care and Feeding of Dickmutants

Surgery! Colors! Space! Being bad at science! Witch Houses! Bad Game Design! The Point of No Return!

We have...three more areas to get through, which should take an update each, one vote, and then the exciting ending of Stygian!

Also I have off this week, so I might just force this game to whatever godawful conclusion these devs came up with.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Once more Stygian expresses its loathing of dabbling in skills.
I think the raygun needed five science?

Anyways this next section of the game is a complete blank for me. Never did it, don't remember reading a thing.
Dunno if it was just unmemorable after the mess that is blasted street, but :shrug:
-----
No trivia corner this time,
Instead, have this link to the stygian wiki.
I don't know what compels Ltweight1 to keep up their work, but they more or less have turned the wiki from a redlink wasteland to something actually informative.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yea, I have no idea how the game expects you to do this because there are no hints this is even possible or something you can build for.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well...that's a neat thing I guess.

I assume just cutting the dead sibling off is fatal no matter what. Maybe if you have a ton of medicine skill? Though I kind of feel like cutting into something like that would be very alien to any study of medicine you would have. Kind of funny that the machete job completely failed though.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Duel of the Cornutos

The second to last update of this god-awful shitshow. It's been...not that long of a journey, and thank God. I, for one, am not about to complain that the meal was garbage and the portions were too small.

Spooky Occult Symbols! Shadows! Giant rats! Mental institutions! Marino being a creep! Aliens! Doctors! Lobotomy! Black Pyramids! TROLLEYS!

Decisions Lie Before Us!

Who are we sacrificing to the pyramid, The Nameless Soldier or The Outsider?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Sacrifice The Outsider. He's the ultimate goon and should find his usefulness in a like manner.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

At ease, Nameless Soldier. Your tour of duty is finally over.
-----
Think I'll have a trivia roundup section next update, there is rather a lot of skippable content. Look forward, I suppose? :shrug:

Trivia corner:
-It is at this point, far after first mentioning, I remember Henchman #2 exists. We've even seen the fellow in an earlier update, though only in passing.
--To save the bother, the henchman is Billy Crumb. The wiki doesn't convey how awful he is in dialogue. It does give enough for the viewer to understand why he is a free henchman. If someone else kills him, you get an artifact. Whoopee.

-The lost man, apparently, is Wilbur Hampton. If that's a reference to something, it's "lost" on me.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nameless Soldier

At this point it's a mercy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why is there not an option to sacrifice yourself and free yourself from this torment?

Also, sacrifice the Outsider.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Outsider

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Sacrifice The Nameless Soldier. The guy's already dead anyways.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Definitely Nameless Soldier, we really can't keep dragging around this poor tormented soul.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Stick a fork in The Outsider, he's done for. Maybe you'll get to go on a great buddy road trip with the Nameless Soldier after all this meandering is over.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

There is no fixing this game is there? The only things I actually liked were the movie theatre and some of the art design.
If I get the chance to tell someone about this shitstain I'll describe it as vomiting all over the Lovecraft mythos only boring.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
"Where there were objects of chimerical nature, there is only a portentous nothingness now, whose intangible and cold realism is more absolute than anything else in this place."

This is loving amazing. A whole overwritten description that describes literally nothing. It's beautiful. It's revolting. It is so magnificently pointless that... I don't even know how to follow that up. Holy poo poo.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

There is no fixing this game is there? The only things I actually liked were the movie theatre and some of the art design.
If I get the chance to tell someone about this shitstain I'll describe it as vomiting all over the Lovecraft mythos only boring.

Some things are better left buried and forgotten than described.
Sacrifice the Outsider, he so longs for release.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

EggsAisle posted:

"Where there were objects of chimerical nature, there is only a portentous nothingness now, whose intangible and cold realism is more absolute than anything else in this place."

This is loving amazing. A whole overwritten description that describes literally nothing. It's beautiful. It's revolting. It is so magnificently pointless that... I don't even know how to follow that up. Holy poo poo.

6 ANGST (ANGST acquired)

If you look at my other LPs I have essays at various breakpoints of the game. I legitimately am struggling to come up with a postmortem, not just because it's bad but its entirely bad, every idea it's had is bad (except the movie theater) and all of this is so poorly constructed its hard to figure out what it's trying to say because it's just a massive diarrhea stain.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

EggsAisle posted:

I can think of one thing. Not a perfect followup to the description, but as a capstone on stygian for the next and last trivia corner; something worthy of one last declaration of... Stygian!
For those who can't wait, it involves Richter. it never ends.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I basically can't vote because I have no context. I stopping being around for a bit and this backlog of 3 updates is too much. The game is just too crappy for me to actually read and tolerate that much of it at once.

I did want to comment because I'm apparently terrible at pattern recognition and didn't expect the game to keep getting worse. I had to stop at the 3rd update where you got the spell you can never learn because the developers are just terrible at everything.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can't think of a single hack writer or even a fanfic author who could take the entire Lovecraft body of text and make something this boring. Awful and derivative sure but not boring.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sacrifice The Unknown Soldier, give him his final rest.

Man, this game. I actually got it 'cos I didn't know poo poo about how bad it was, and I was jonesing for a good Lovecraft RPG (boy howdy was I wrong about THAT). I've actually finished the game too, thanks to my dear friend Cheat Engine, just because I wanted to see if there is/are any redeeming feature(s) to be found in this.

There aren't. It's garbage, absolute garbage. But oh man, you have no idea how bad it's going to get, because this game saves its greatest garbage for last.

That said, while we're discussing garbage, why is everyone here so down on Tyranny? I personally think it was the best of Obsidian's recent RPGs myself.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
... Mang, now I'm wishing we'd picked to bring Sonia with us earlier, because the option of sacrificing Lovecraft's Wife to Nyarlathotep to finish the game would have been perfect.

Sacrifice the Unknown Soldier.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

BisbyWorl posted:

Sacrifice The Nameless Soldier. The guy's already dead anyways.

What does one life matter?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

the outsider made you sit through that dumb animation every time you rested. It would be rude to deny you revenge.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

FoolyCharged posted:

the outsider made you sit through that dumb animation every time you rested. It would be rude to deny you revenge.

Absolutely this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I can't think of a single hack writer or even a fanfic author who could take the entire Lovecraft body of text and make something this boring. Awful and derivative sure but not boring.
Brett Talley.

Anyhow, sacrifice the Outsider.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

NAME REDACTED posted:

... Mang, now I'm wishing we'd picked to bring Sonia with us earlier, because the option of sacrificing Lovecraft's Wife to Nyarlathotep to finish the game would have been perfect.

Sacrifice the Unknown Soldier.

If there's a major difference between the sacrifices I'd like to see them both but make this one the canon.

I found a copy of The Ballad of Black Tom at the library so I will let you know how it is.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

FoolyCharged posted:

This is my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Can't you just sacrifice them both?