Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

It's the rod of orcus, a rod made of woven together tongues that allows the wielder to customize the physical form of the undead.

Xykon could have dozens of functional tongues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's the rod of orcus, a rod made of woven together tongues that allows the wielder to customize the physical form of the undead.

Xykon could have dozens of functional tongues!

And that sounds like a really floppy rod, which I guess answers the other lich problem.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Following this thread for a decade +giantitp safaris and reading grognards.txt twice it's really embarassing that I need clarification here, but what precisely is the deal with Orcus

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Don't tell me to read the source books I've seen where going down that path leads

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Daikloktos posted:

Following this thread for a decade +giantitp safaris and reading grognards.txt twice it's really embarassing that I need clarification here, but what precisely is the deal with Orcus

Wait, is grogs.txt back?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Daikloktos posted:

He's the Demon Prince of the Undead. At one point he was dead for awhile, came back under a different alias, then discarded that persona and went back to being Orcus again full time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Is he an Orc? An undead Orc daemon prince?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
He's just a big muscley demon. He's got goat hooves and wings.

He rules the undead and has lots of undead minions. He also has a lot of demon minions, and rules the 333rd level of the abyss. Sometimes people say he's the strongest demon and also a demon god. Sometimes he gives his rod to a mortal so they'll do evil poo poo with it. He frequently participates in the blood war by attacking other demons or devils.

He sucks and he's boring and no one cares about Orcus.

(I think he's a somewhat notable end game threat in Nethack, but he dies to a cockatrice corpse just like everything else, so.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Is he an Orc? An undead Orc daemon prince?
I'm sure other people can make up quality jokes, but D&D Orcus was based on the Roman deity of the same name who was involved with the underworld. Roman mythology had a couple of gods with underworld relations - Orcus, Hades, Pluto (not always the same being depending on where or when you asked!), Dis Pater - and frequently confused them. You're not wrong about the orc reference, though. Tolkien swiped the name from older Anglo-Saxon folklore which in turn came from the Roman deity and its cultural exchanges in the hinterlands.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Book of Vile Darkness (which I read in my shameful teenage edgy phase) describes him as obese, but then the illustration looks like this:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/0/08/Orcus.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/350?cb=20140812221114

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

paradoxGentleman posted:

The Book of Vile Darkness (which I read in my shameful teenage edgy phase) describes him as obese, but then the illustration looks like this:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/0/08/Orcus.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/350?cb=20140812221114

The wings really gently caress up BMI calculations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ragnar34 posted:

And that sounds like a really floppy rod, which I guess answers the other lich problem.
Something something rod of lordly might

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

paradoxGentleman posted:

He was originally obese until he died. When he came back to life and returned to being Orcus after abandoning the Tenebrous persona, he got fit and swole. Apparently one of the main reasons he died was because he was content to spend time lazing around on his throne, and after his resurrection he resolved not to let his enemies find him such easy prey again and became much more active in the Blood War and the various prime material planes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also he created a d20 splatbook company at some point.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Even in the "obese" Orcus days, I think he was just loving well hench. Sure, he had a gut, but he also had arms the size of tree trunks.

My understanding of Orcus was that he was this huuuuuge threat to everything, and then he never did anything. So he just got kinda boring as gently caress.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He's also super generic, personality and powers-wise. He's an evil demon guy who summons zombies and has a magic rod. His motivation? Doing evil things, controlling things, maybe summoning some zombies, stealing a soul or two. He's like the plain yoghurt of campaign endbosses.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

He also has a guaranteed wand of death, and there are abandoned shops on his dungeon level.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bee posted:

Wait, is grogs.txt back?

It was gone?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Android Blues posted:

He's also super generic, personality and powers-wise. He's an evil demon guy who summons zombies and has a magic rod. His motivation? Doing evil things, controlling things, maybe summoning some zombies, stealing a soul or two. He's like the plain yoghurt of campaign endbosses.

I kinda liked that despite being the Demon Prince of Undeath, he doesn't actually like the undead. He just used them as tools. That was a neat bit of characterization.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

He also has a guaranteed wand of death, and there are abandoned shops on his dungeon level.

So he's basically a gnome, got it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Orcus is the Syndrome that turns an area into a "domain" under the user's absolute control. Lets you make spears out of the earth, summon animals in the area to mess with your opponent, etc.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Okay, sounds like I didn't miss anything (or rather, there wasn't anything to miss), so - the staff being made of tongues is more a necromancy thing than some sort of specifically Orcus symbolism?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Daikloktos posted:

Okay, sounds like I didn't miss anything (or rather, there wasn't anything to miss), so - the staff being made of tongues is more a necromancy thing than some sort of specifically Orcus symbolism?
Think that was a joke the Wand of Orcus is made of a spine topped with a magically enlarged skull of a hero Orcus slew at one point.

Funny enough about the whole Orcus on his throne thing, his most recent model actually has him on his throne.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

habeasdorkus posted:

Even in the "obese" Orcus days, I think he was just loving well hench. Sure, he had a gut, but he also had arms the size of tree trunks.

My understanding of Orcus was that he was this huuuuuge threat to everything, and then he never did anything. So he just got kinda boring as gently caress.

I think overall that's on par for the demons since a major problem they face in the blood war is that despite being literally infinite they're eternally paralyzed by their own petty squabbling

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Shugojin posted:

I think overall that's on par for the demons since a major problem they face in the blood war is that despite being literally infinite they're eternally paralyzed by their own petty squabbling

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

I know it's not going to happen but

PLEASE HAVE A NEW STRIP TOMORROW

I don't think I've ever been on pins and needles wanting to see what happens next.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's not how you do it

*clears throat*

I hope Rich is ok :ohdear:

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I was thinking about The Plan, and I was wondering - would there be any possible downside to letting the Snarl go absolutely wild in the Lower Planes?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

oobey posted:

I was thinking about The Plan, and I was wondering - would there be any possible downside to letting the Snarl go absolutely wild in the Lower Planes?

I don't know, would you murder your children if you were a head God?

*Cronus need not apply

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

I don't know, would you murder your children if you were a head God?

*Cronus need not apply

Presumably killing bad people indiscriminately is bad even if they are bad. I.e like when V killed a lot of Dragons. Because you have a lot of souls of people down there, and while some are probably Capital E, Evil, most are probably not. For example all of the "dishonourable" Dwarves.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

Presumably killing bad people indiscriminately is bad even if they are bad. I.e like when V killed a lot of Dragons. Because you have a lot of souls of people down there, and while some are probably Capital E, Evil, most are probably not. For example all of the "dishonourable" Dwarves.

Oh, drat. The dwarves really throw a wrench in that idea, yeah. You would have to exclude Hel’s Domain for that reason alone. I don’t think the other planes have any non-Evil souls, though, I don’t think that kind of mistake is cosmologically possible.

Aside from that hiccup, though, I think using a God-killing abomination to destroy Evil once and for all is a pretty solid one. I mean, we’re talking about a meta verse where that concept is literally personified. Imagine the next world, built without the input of any Evil gods whatsoever, aside from Hel and The Dark One. Heck, you might get lucky, and Hel could just starve to death before the next Creation rolled around.

Of course, I don’t see any way you’d EVER get TDO to let you use his quiddity. A shame...

oobey fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 10, 2020

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Even assuming that the good gods COULD point the snarl at particular gods to "clean them up", and that none of them had any kind of moral qualms with mass scale deicide, I doubt it would do anything long term. Free willed beings aren't going to suddenly stop committing evil acts just because there isn't an evil god to benefit from it. New evil gods will rise in the vacuum of power from evil followers and belief existing.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
OK Miko

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Fiend posted:

We want for them the same thing that has held the fiendish races back for all these Millennia

Woah. Reading that again in light of everything going on with Readcloak, is this guy saying that fiends were also screwed over by their creators, being somehow forced into petty endless conflict for the sole purpose of keeping them manageable? Is the whole story of oots going to boil down to all of creation's grievances against the gods?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I don't think that "Thanks to the gods, we have to fight in endless petty conflicts between each other and can't unite, invade other planes and turn reality into endless orgy of slaughter, suffering and despair, how dare they!" is a very sympathetic grievance. :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The general D&D differentiation between "usually evil" and "always evil" is that the former are born as clean slates, while the latter are born from the souls of those who did evil in life. An imp may spawn with no recollection of any past, but the petitioner(s) that make it up would be major assholes, and the imp would subsequently also be one, otherwise it wouldn't have been an imp. It's a whole other barrel of metaphysical monkeys than the "usually evil" label which is finally being phased out.

Either way, judging by Thor's comments about having to mind-wipe outsiders, it seems like they have power over those, but didn't actually create them. I'm not sure how exactly you'd map OotS onto the greater D&D cosmology, because it seems like the stick world is the only actual material plane, which then does not explain where exactly gods and outsiders came from in the first place.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The IFCC Directors just want a peaceful life!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Either way, judging by Thor's comments about having to mind-wipe outsiders, it seems like they have power over those, but didn't actually create them. I'm not sure how exactly you'd map OotS onto the greater D&D cosmology, because it seems like the stick world is the only actual material plane, which then does not explain where exactly gods and outsiders came from in the first place.

Yeah, things get sticky when you start thinking too hard along those lines.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0669.html This strip here, clearly shows stars in the sky. Going by Thor's comments, they only have enough base material to create one world at a time.

Also, of interest, is that one populated planet can sustain three pantheons of Gods.

You have the Astral Plane, the Lower Planes. the various elemental planes, etc etc, but there is only the one singular planet, IE Material Plane.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obviously Roy's sword is The Monado and the Snarl created it, and Roy is a clone of the Snarl and the fiends are going to attack the Snarl using V weilding their own Monado and then the Snarl will have both Monados, and Roy must create his own by force of will and wish for a world free of gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Does this involve Elan having to pilot a bio-Robot made from his dead mother