Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I move we release Franca given hes a rapist preferably into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

I totally forgot that. Yeah I'll fire him right now. We have 9 million in the bank so any penalty won't hurt us.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lid posted:

I would like to retract my previous enthusiasm for hermes franca. I did not know this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ilmucche posted:

I would like to retract my previous enthusiasm for hermes franca. I did not know this.

Make Hermes Franca fight Wanderlei in an openweight exhibition fight

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Memento posted:

I've absolutely never heard of Golyeav and google tells me nothing, and Sarmiento was really just an aggressively mediocre journeyman.

Golyaev is basically a journeyman who is only known in any way because he's the officially-accepted historical point at which Takanori Gomi's time as The Guy ended. At the time Gomi looked like he was going to be to Sengoku exactly the star he was for Pride, and they had their whole lightweight grand prix built around the idea that the winner would fight Gomi to determine the first champion, so on the same night they held the end of the tournament they wanted Gomi to knock the gently caress out of some dude so they could hype the forthcoming championship fight, and Golyaev was a foreigner with a credible-looking record who was still a safe bet because he'd gotten beat by everyone good he'd ever fought.

Instead Golyaev was extremely competitive on the feet, at one point knocked Gomi down, and managed to win a split decision against him, in Japan, in a promotion where he was the superstar darling.

Before the Golyaev fight, Gomi was 29-3 (1). As of the Golyaev fight, Gomi has thus far gone 7-12.

(epilogue: Sengoku still booked Gomi in the championship fight anyway, which he lost in like ninety seconds. They also booked Golyaev, but they did it on the undercard, where he also lost.)

edit: and yeah, pick Din Thomas and let Hermes Franca go so he can go get promoted by the immoral UFC or something

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 10, 2020

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
pardon my reading comprehension skills, but do we have yves edwards?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dumped Hermes (and blacklisted him in game), and put in Tesuji Kato since he was available and also not a terrible matchup overall.

LobsterMobster posted:

pardon my reading comprehension skills, but do we have yves edwards?

Yves is currently signed with the UFC in the game.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 11, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So that Rampage/Anderson Silva fight we wanted...

The two boys hoping to fill in are as follows

These are the other Middleweights that could fill in. Anderson is ranked #5 and Tito is ranked at number 6.

Rampage is out for 27 days so we could also book a third event real quick and put him and Anderson on it if we wanted. Maybe in California?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 11, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

So that Rampage/Anderson Silva fight we wanted...

The two boys hoping to fill in are as follows

These are the other Middleweights that could fill in. Anderson is ranked #5 and Tito is ranked at number 6.

Rampage is out for 27 days so we could also book a third event real quick and put him and Anderson on it if we wanted. Maybe in California?

Put in Matsui. I don't see any problem with building Anderson by throwing him unknown Japanese grappler with a losing record.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CommonShore posted:

Put in Matsui. I don't see any problem with building Anderson by throwing him unknown Japanese grappler with a losing record.

This is the right move, but the siren song of Silva vs Ortiz is just too beautiful to ignore

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Also on Team Matsui because Silva murdering Tito should really have some marketing build.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I vote Matsui because his photo on my phone made me think he was holding a baseball bat at first glance.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Anderson v Forrest II because im a sadist

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Silva doesn't want to fight Matsui because Matsui isnt' well known enough.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Silva doesn't want to fight Matsui because Matsui isnt' well known enough.

Guarantee him a title shot if he wins? Can you do that?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Guarantee him a title shot if he wins? Can you do that?

Nah. Basically Matsui is too low ranked/notable for Silva.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've made the choice to put Anderson in the ring versus Chuck.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Mekchu posted:

Hell. Yes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mekchu posted:

I hope chuck wins and keeps fighting until 2015 as like an anti-anderson

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The results of our most recent two events, and also the end of 2002.

Hansen, Mir, Franklin getting wins helps pad up their respective divisions and shift things some.

GSP's win over Karo I think warrants him a top 5 opponent. Possibly versus Hughes for the Interim Welterweight title since Hendo is up at Middleweight now. Mirko getting his win puts him right in line for a HW title shot. Jens is our new Bantamweight Champion. Fedor's win answered our question of who would win between Fedor and Randy at his prime, though the stats may be skewed in Fedor's favor.

Oddly we somehow lost money on this event, for whatever reason despite being in Japan.

That was the final event of the year and we have our Year End awards.

UFC cleaned house mostly and we got left on the outs. Should work to change that.

Diaz winning in his debut is good. I want to make him a WW title holder eventually. Vitor got a needed win at Heavyweight, and Anderson killed Chuck. Sadly since Wandy also won and is also the Middleweight Champion we can't get a Wandy/Anderson title fight since they're teammates at Chute Boxe.

Our popularity has increased across the board.

Despite being in Vegas, we also made a decent chunk of change.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The most shocking result there was Ben Rothwell and Antoni Hardonk had a great fight.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

5K to get kicked in the face by Anderson. drat.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Next event has been booked

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Silva vs. Silva is a match up we could only dream of in the real world

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mekchu posted:

Next event has been booked

thought you said we can't get Wandy v Andy because Chute Boxe and all that

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Troy Queef posted:

thought you said we can't get Wandy v Andy because Chute Boxe and all that

If you notice the $ sign next to the match, it means I had to bribe them to do it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

i do not see that $ sign

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

i do not see that $ sign

Oh. Well Anderson wanted $10,000 more to fight Wandy so I paid it. Weird it didn't show on the fight card like it does for other inducements.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More fun times in PRIDE!

First off, just wow. Poor Chael. I'm gonna build him up more slowly now. I really want him to be a MW champ.

Saku winning keeps his status as a top prospect. Kharitonov lost in his debut which was saddening.

Randleman taking out Kerr is interesting. I can't recall them ever fighting back in the day but that would have been something awesome to watch. DaVila is earning a spot at WW championship.

Rampage is fantastic in his win and certainly can face the MW champion next. Fedor made a successful defense of his HW championship, which now leaves me scratching my head on who to pit him against next.

Anderson KO'ng Wandy at Wandy's height and winning the MW title is also really interesting as MW is getting cramped at the top and a lot of people have wins over each other.

Overall, this was a good event to kick of 2003 for us.

As a result of the event, we saw a lot more growth than normal. Also in Tohoku region of Japan, MMA is regulated now so we gotta pay $400 per fighter for drug testing and we can only skip that fee by moving events to unregulated regions.

We made some solid cash from the event which is great for us as we're at 9mil in the bank and can easily set up a decent media channel, which I think we'll do at 10 or 11 mil to get a bigger foothold in the US region.

Also Enson Inoue got arrested but this isn't really shocking or horrible. I think he talked about what it was like in Japanese jail on an episode of Joe Rogan's podcast.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Even in an alternate timeline, the universe won’t allow Chael to keep his promise to his ailing father.

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
PRIDE never die

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck

cream of the clop posted:

PRIDE never die

ok sometimes PRIDE dies

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will return to this soon as the GSP Anime Adventure Novel wraps up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I promised a return and it is time to return to the era of 2003 MMA where PRIDE was still alive, WEC was starting off, and suddenly things started to be more fun in MMA across the board.

First, I decided "you know what, we have 9million dollars. Let's spend that on our own TV channel/broadcaster." So I did, introducing Yarennoka!

This channel is what I imagine PRIDE's own attempt at a UFC Fight Pass would look like. Only more janky, confusing and also really poorly thought out. It also allows us to set up a permanent TV home for ourselves to put lower tiered events on, and also maybe broadcast other organizations that are low tier but I could be wrong about that.

For it's generic stats/makeup I did it as follows

Essentially it's designed to let us tap into and expand in the US & European markets more easily and get our brand across over there to the point holding an event is more profitable than previous attempts.

We also picked up two new talents. Imanari because, well, he's great. And Bustamante is a coup for us in the sense that he's the UFC's current champion and I'm just trying to screw with them a bunch in silly and petty ways that Dana White would definitely have done. The Bustamante deal isn't finalized yet though.

We also scheduled our next event a few months into 2003 as we needed some of the roster to heal up.

For 2003 era MMA, this is a pretty stacked card in my opinion and I can't recall many of these guys having fights or being close to fight each other at this stage of MMA but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I M A N A R I

I demand that we just feed him an endless string of cans