Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlazetheInferno posted:

What hack even is this? Because this looks cool.

Maiden of Darkness, It's my remake/retelling of FE6 in FE6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Today I learned that transformed Rafiel can't climb ledges :mad:

I also learned that losing Lethe/Lyre in 3-1 doesn't actually kill them off for real :eng101:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

rannum posted:

Pent got on last year's bridal banner, with Louise

Ya archers are hated in FE community but I been using her in my FE7 eliwood first run and she hits like a truck. Pent is also great with physic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ulio posted:

Ya archers are hated in FE community but I been using her in my FE7 eliwood first run and she hits like a truck. Pent is also great with physic.

Archers are usually pretty bad but I don’t think anyone has a problem with snipers because they fix the problem like 2/3 of them have of bad bases. And Pent is just kinda busted iirc, like his bases are endgame-ready even in HHM and his growths are good too because why not?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Also: nobody has ever said archers are unusable. they're usually just suboptimal. most FE games are easy enough that you can use whatever horrible lineup of units you like and not even feel it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Amppelix posted:

Also: nobody has ever said archers are unusable. they're usually just suboptimal. most FE games are easy enough that you can use whatever horrible lineup of units you like and not even feel it.
20/20/20 Rolf with the Double Bow in Radiant Dawn is like the best Non-Royal Laguz unit in the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Bow users careen wildly between being terrible to being flat out amazing. Well, Three Houses makes bows really really good but that's just a consequence of its weapon system.

I think Echoes did them alright? Hunter's Volley is absurdly good but it doesn't even really come close to some of the nutty stuff like Dread Fighters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dread Fighters still tend to have crappy phys defenses despite basically having better odds of surviving mage enemy units. Archers being able to counter at close range was a sort of blessing in disguise, especially if combined with terrain dodge bonuses.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Snipers are good because they're prepromotes. Half the trouble with archers when they're bad is you have so little means of training them into something serviceable long term. The same drawbacks that Snipers have, not being able to counter at 1 range in most games, is part of the overall equation that leans into that but Snipes at least come with serviceable prepromote stats when they show up and can be used to shoot stuff dead or at least do significant chip with no effort on your end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Strange Matter posted:

20/20/20 Rolf with the Double Bow in Radiant Dawn is like the best Non-Royal Laguz unit in the game.

for all what, two normalish maps remaining after you get the double bow?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Close Counter needs to be a mandatory bow skill going forward

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Nah, I think it takes away one of the few unique things about bows. I feel like they should lean more into the +Range skills instead to make them not just a worse magic class. 2-3 range should be the default, gently caress your hand axes, javelins, and tomes.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Close Counter being an optional skill like it is in 3Houses makes a lot of sense to me if they're still doing skill Emblem. Lets the player decide if that's really all that important to them. Also a good way to set difficulty mode leaps; Hard(est) Mode Close Counter Vantage Snipers as enemies would be hilarious.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Also, steal conquest’s techniques for making bow units useful on enemy phase via map design

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm futzing around a little bit with Immortal Sword and I liked how they did bows: weapon triangle advantage on attack, disadvantage on defense. Not sure if that's from a FE game, almost everything else seemingly is.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm futzing around a little bit with Immortal Sword and I liked how they did bows: weapon triangle advantage on attack, disadvantage on defense. Not sure if that's from a FE game, almost everything else seemingly is.

That was never a thing in any other game I think. Fates made Bows part of a new colour coded weapon traingle, which is also how Heroes does it, but it wasnt determined by enemy or player phases if I recall.

Anyway, too many or just outright gimmicky mechanics choices are bad and like Zoran says good map design is way cooler way of fixing problems.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

cheetah7071 posted:

for all what, two normalish maps remaining after you get the double bow?
It's not just 2 normal maps, it's the entire rest of the Endgame, including killing dozens of dragons. He's also excellent for the rest of the game too. The fact that he starts as a Level 1 Sniper as opposed to Shinon who's like level 8 or something doesn't matter at all when the game vomits BEXP at you in every mission. But Marksmen in RD are pretty absurd no matter what.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rimusutera posted:

That was never a thing in any other game I think. Fates made Bows part of a new colour coded weapon traingle, which is also how Heroes does it, but it wasnt determined by enemy or player phases if I recall.

Anyway, too many or just outright gimmicky mechanics choices are bad and like Zoran says good map design is way cooler way of fixing problems.

Fates and Heroes do it slightly differently, I think. In Fates bows/tomes/daggers just get added to the existing colours (so a lance is effective against a tome user for instance), whereas in Heroes bows/daggers/staffs are in a separate colourless category that is neutral to most things (outside of some specific weapons). They did add coloured bows/daggers eventually though (and colourless tomes).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Strange Matter posted:

It's not just 2 normal maps, it's the entire rest of the Endgame, including killing dozens of dragons. He's also excellent for the rest of the game too. The fact that he starts as a Level 1 Sniper as opposed to Shinon who's like level 8 or something doesn't matter at all when the game vomits BEXP at you in every mission. But Marksmen in RD are pretty absurd no matter what.

I mean, "the entire rest of endgame" is four chapters, one of which is the black knight and one of which is Ashera. Hence two normalish maps

Don't really have any opinion on his performance earlier since I've never used him but starting from a point of "he's really good with the double bow" felt weird to me given how tiny a percentage of the game that is.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

A 20/20/14 Leonardo with Lugnasadh is also very good. He can get if from his first map in Part 3. He doesn't even have to compete with anyone for the Double Bow! :v:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

1234567890num posted:

A 20/20/14 Leonardo with Lugnasadh is also very good. He can get if from his first map in Part 3. He doesn't even have to compete with anyone for the Double Bow! :v:
That image might as well be torn from the Voynich Manuscript for how little sense it makes to me.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly if they insist on not letting bows have 1-2 range without a special skill then its time to bring down every other ranged weapon with them and make them 2-range only, like heroes does

and hten when i go from heroes to a normal FE game I wont feel stupid when i keep using mages as if they can only attack from range

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I’m glad to be so ignorant of heroes that I didn’t know tomes were 2-range only

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Why mention rolf when shinon is just as good at endgame also onerounds nearly every enemy in part 3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
heroes just made tomes 2-range only because when you're dragging your unit to an enemy in a touch interface it can't tell which square you're trying to attack from if your weapon is 1-2 range

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Why mention rolf when shinon is just as good at endgame also onerounds nearly every enemy in part 3
Shinon may be great but does he have a uselessly high 75% strength growth? didn't think so

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bow users careen wildly between being terrible to being flat out amazing. Well, Three Houses makes bows really really good but that's just a consequence of its weapon system.

Ya I used them in Awakening and they were just random. Didn't bother to use Will or Rebecca 7 so far. 7 does give you lots of incentive to use them because how many maps have flying units and crossbows can only be used by archer units. So that's cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There are two solutions to the archer problem: give them ways around the 2 range limit (the 3h solution) or give them better stats than non-archers (the fates solution)

For most of the series, the devs seemed to think bows were so insanely good that archers needed worse stats than non-archers. It's kind of ridiculous when those same games had cavaliers with no stat issues whatsoever

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Endorph posted:

Shinon also isn't an adorable moppet with obvious PTSD from the first war. .

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

There are two solutions to the archer problem: give them ways around the 2 range limit (the 3h solution) or give them better stats than non-archers (the fates solution)

For most of the series, the devs seemed to think bows were so insanely good that archers needed worse stats than non-archers. It's kind of ridiculous when those same games had cavaliers with no stat issues whatsoever

Weird ya because I have only played FE7 and Awakening so far. Cavs and flying units seem insanely broken especially flying units because they have the two best stats in the game. High movement and higher speed growth than cav units, so not only can they reach enemy faster but they can double attack most enemies easily. In FE7 though I didn't like any of the pegasus knight units that much despite by the class being strong, I just didn't like the characters. Also FE7 has crossbows in so many maps so I still prefered cavs. Ya they are weak to long range magic but their damage is a bit better than flying units.

I can see how the devs thought Archers shouldn't be too strong though.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

Shinon also isn't an adorable moppet with obvious PTSD from the first war. .

Even better, hes an alcoholic racist that wanted to bang your dad

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Endorph posted:

Why mention <RD character> when <other RD character> can also easily achieve all green numbers and have a mastery skill that does exactly the same thing (kill the enemy)

That's my biggest problem with RD as a whole, it's way too easy for every single character to become a god.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sudden Javelin posted:

:hmmyes:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Sudden Javelin posted:

True, there are way too many good characters in RD.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

That's my biggest problem with RD as a whole, it's way too easy for every single character to become a god.
I don't think I've ever played a video game with such a wildly skewed difficulty curve. The beginning of the game is a tightly planned, grueling ordeal where every map challenges your time and unit management skills, but by the end of the game your final party is unstoppable almost by accident (nevermind that they just throw Caineghis and Giffca, who can basically wreck the entire tower together). It would probably take more effort not to be ridiculous OP than it is to just sweep the endgame.

On replaying it, it kind of sucks that when the Armies divide up in Part 4 you only get two missions with each, because that's actually a really cool part of the game as it's the only part where unit choice actually kind of matters. Last time I played I discovered that Aran is actually kind of a boss once he gets enough levels under his belt, but you'd never really know it since the game doesn't really give him that much of a chance to open up and shine.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Ulio posted:

Also FE7 has crossbows in so many maps so I still prefered cavs. Ya they are weak to long range magic but their damage is a bit better than flying units.

I can see how the devs thought Archers shouldn't be too strong though.

Are you playing a hack because FE7 didn't have any crossbows.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 10, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think Ulio meant ballistas?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
That would make sense.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FE7 fliers fare better against ballistae than pretty much anywhere else in the series because weapon effectiveness in that game is 2x weapon might, not 3x

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Also why bulk, the units overall combination of defense stats & HP, is still a big deal even when facing down weapon effectiveness. Not much of a big deal if after doubling you're still only taking like, a dozen damage with like, 50 HP or something. Looking at you Vaida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Why mention <RD character> when <other RD character> can also easily achieve all green numbers and have a mastery skill that does exactly the same thing (kill the enemy)

That's great but the point was that while rolf can become god like all other characters, shinon is already one when he joins and he doesn't stop being one