Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Codependent Poster posted:

How many times can Shane say "that's good that's good that's good" in one night?

Twist ending: he says after four weeks “that’s great”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Please stop talking Seth

Seth Rollins posted:

There is more of an emphasis on moments. At the end of the day, moments are what people remember as opposed to entire matches, unless the moment is the match, which is not often. If this stipulation had happened in the middle of the Attitude Era, I don't think anybody would have scoffed at it. It would have been a crazy moment of wild stuff happening in WWE. Obviously, 20 years later, things are different in the way we watch things. The moment was meant to create interest in the casual viewer. The moment you say 'eye for an eye match,' the hardcore wrestling fan is like, 'Oh, please, why can't they just let these two wrestle?' At the end of the day, the wrestling spoke for itself and the end moment ended up on TMZ. We're doing a service to both of our audiences. We gave them a great wrestling match on the front end and gave the casual viewer a reason to watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is it just me or does “an emphasis on moments” run counter to “long term storytelling?”

I mean I get he’s just arguing whatever’s convenient. But take a breath.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The eye moment ended up on TMZ.

That's what you're proud of?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I tried to remember all the WWE "moments" I could from 2017 and I legit can't remember anything. From this year I can remember Drew winning the belt at Mania, the eyeball thing, and the boneyard match. That's it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Is it just me or does “an emphasis on moments” run counter to “long term storytelling?”

I mean I get he’s just arguing whatever’s convenient. But take a breath.

Pretty much. At least the moment one is honest and is the more common WWE talking point, their booking philosophy has been focused on "moments" for a long time.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

I tried to remember all the WWE "moments" I could from 2017 and I legit can't remember anything. From this year I can remember Drew winning the belt at Mania, the eyeball thing, and the boneyard match. That's it.

How can you forget Braun destroying a car and Roman getting trapped under scaffolding?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who could forget the moment when Jinder Mahal won the title?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Rarity posted:

Who could forget the moment when Jinder Mahal won the title?

or the moment he finally got a real rub

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Barry Bluejeans posted:

:hmbol: i never saw this picture before

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

what casual viewers, seth

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Barry Bluejeans posted:

jesus christ

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Neodoomium posted:

what casual viewers, seth

the ones reading TMZ, obviously

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Triple H won that match in India too. It was what the fans there wanted to see.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rarity posted:

Please stop talking Seth

They clearly do give a poo poo about what their fans think because they keep sending him out there. These last few ones have been some real "Dig up, Stupid!" quotes.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Rarity posted:

At the end of the day, the wrestling spoke for itself and the end moment ended up on TMZ. We're doing a service to both of our audiences. We gave them a great wrestling match on the front end and gave the casual viewer a reason to watch.
Both their audiences? What's the other audience, TMZ fans who don't tune into the product or spend any money on it? You sure about them tuning in, Seth? Because ratings are getting lower and lower and I doubt it's just the casual fans leaving.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How would anyone expect casual fans to be into the product when the people that dedicate most of their lives to it are embarrassed by it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HidaO-Win posted:

Triple H won that match in India too.
HA!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

HidaO-Win posted:

Triple H won that match in India too.

That was also the India tour where they had Jinder drop the belt the week before right?

That did lead to Styles/Lesnar, but I still feel cheated out of a Jinder/Brock match.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

https://mobile.twitter.com/wwerollins/status/1292878257747091459?s=21

Seth Rollins is going to travel through time and harass a child.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
I like how Seth's idea of a big moment for casual viewers is a guy's face getting pretend mashed against some steps and then him throwing up and anyone who's like "hey can we just watch good the two of you have a good match" is a loving dork who should just stop talking and realize how important TMZ coverage is.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
What's the last long term story in WWE that wasn't poo poo? Daniel Bryan vs The Authority? And even that was due to the audience forcing them to not gently caress it up.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Becky vs The World was pretty good and that was also because the audience refused to accept them shoving her aside or shoving Charlotte into her spot

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just like Fight Club nobody is talking about Raw Underground either

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Rarity posted:

Love to have official merch ready to go for my secret illicit fight club

It pains me on a deep level to know someone is spending 30 bucks on one (or both) of these shirts

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Kofi's leadup the winning the title at WM was a good underdog story, even if it have endless "Can you beat 5 men in a row?" challenges every week. I don't know if it counts as a storyline, but the initial Firefly Funhouse stuff into Wyatt returning at Summerslam was probably the last time I was actually interested in what I was watching.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

Just like Fight Club nobody is talking about Raw Underground either

You gave me a nice laugh with that one thank you

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There is definitely a problem with casual fans and long term stories. But there aren't any casual fans left. If you're still watching wrestling you're in deep.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

his name is shane mcfailson

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

shame* cmon son

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

sincerest regrets

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fish Of Doom posted:

Kofi's leadup the winning the title at WM was a good underdog story, even if it have endless "Can you beat 5 men in a row?" challenges every week. I don't know if it counts as a storyline, but the initial Firefly Funhouse stuff into Wyatt returning at Summerslam was probably the last time I was actually interested in what I was watching.
I might be remembering wrong but didn't the one gauntlet have the Usos decide they didn't care to do management's bidding and gave the New Day a break? I always really liked seeing those two groups interact. Hey, respect between tag teams, that's... some kind of long term storytelling??? And it had a memorable moment?

Too bad Vince is a loving moron that dumpstered the Kofi run and pissed people off for nothing. Unless Brock refused to have a competitive match with Kofi and I seriously doubt Brock gives a poo poo.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Brock is willing to bump his rear end off, but I guess the question is whether the huge stretches of him not bumping for anyone are his idea or Vince's.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Blooming Brilliant posted:

That was also the India tour where they had Jinder drop the belt the week before right?

That did lead to Styles/Lesnar, but I still feel cheated out of a Jinder/Brock match.

man Brock throwing around Jinder like a child would be so loving great

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Too bad Vince is a loving moron that dumpstered the Kofi run and pissed people off for nothing. Unless Brock refused to have a competitive match with Kofi and I seriously doubt Brock gives a poo poo.

Lesnar and Kofi fought in that Beast in the East special, and Kofi got in more offence when he was at that point still a midcarder.

So yeah I think it was an entirely conscious decision on Vince's part to throw his champ under the bus for the big debut show.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Lesnar and Kofi fought in that Beast in the East special, and Kofi got in more offence when he was at that point still a midcarder.

So yeah I think it was an entirely conscious decision on Vince's part to throw his champ under the bus for the big debut show.

I wonder how many potential viewers that squash destroyed.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Red posted:

At least one

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Red posted:

I was someone who kept coming back to WWE in the dumb hope that the new Fox era would change things, but then that squash happened and oops they were right, I'm dumb for giving them a chance

Them turning NXT live to battle with Dynamite was just the cherry on top.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1292962003242364929

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
booo go back to calling him short